July 2015 California Bar Exam

a male human

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby a male human » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:08 am

BuenAbogado wrote:
gaagoots wrote:I know I'm fricken losing my mind when I laughed long and hard at this. You guys amuse me.

a/s/l

same

Also this reminds me user Elms owes me pictures of her elbow since she passed the Feb bar because I'm p sure we had a valid contract

redblueyellow

Postby redblueyellow » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:26 am

a male human wrote:
BuenAbogado wrote:
gaagoots wrote:I know I'm fricken losing my mind when I laughed long and hard at this. You guys amuse me.

a/s/l

same

Also this reminds me user Elms owes me pictures of her elbow since she passed the Feb bar because I'm p sure we had a valid contract

I miss Elms. She seemed so nice!

a male human

Postby a male human » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:29 am

redblueyellow wrote:
a male human wrote:
BuenAbogado wrote:

a/s/l

same

Yeah...

Except the part she just took off without delivering promised goods!

BuenAbogado

Postby BuenAbogado » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:26 am

a male human wrote:
redblueyellow wrote:
a male human wrote:
BuenAbogado wrote:

a/s/l

same

Yeah...

Except the part she just took off without delivering promised goods!

That perfect, tender, elbow.

smokeylarue

Postby smokeylarue » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:49 am

I just want to make sure after registering the Softest crap that we got 5 exams downloaded to our system right? 4 real files and a mock exam. I don't want to be missing one on exam day.

soj

Postby soj » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:15 am

here's what i do not fucking want on the essays:
1. CA Civ Pro. NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
2. Civ Pro. i will never fucking understand jurisdiction.
3. Community Property. i think everyone's on the same page on this one
4. CA evidence. ugh no.
5. Property. specifically mortgages and recording statutes. other shit isn't ideal but doable

here's shit i can handle:
1. Torts (negligence & SL, not weird shit like defamation and business torts)
2. Corporations. ya dude, piercing the corporate veil is totes nbd and happens all the time.
3. Crim. but no crim pro, thx
4. PR. preferably ABA only, but I can shit something out if CA distinctions are needed.
5. Contracts. slim pickings here. i suck at this the least out of the remaining subjects. wills & trusts are ok but i didn't wanna include em because they often get paired with community property and that alone makes them terrible.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:52 am

soj wrote:here's what i do not fucking want on the essays:
1. CA Civ Pro. NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
2. Civ Pro. i will never fucking understand jurisdiction.
3. Community Property. i think everyone's on the same page on this one
4. CA evidence. ugh no.
5. Property. specifically mortgages and recording statutes. other shit isn't ideal but doable

here's shit i can handle:
1. Torts (negligence & SL, not weird shit like defamation and business torts)
2. Corporations. ya dude, piercing the corporate veil is totes nbd and happens all the time.
3. Crim. but no crim pro, thx
4. PR. preferably ABA only, but I can shit something out if CA distinctions are needed.
5. Contracts. slim pickings here. i suck at this the least out of the remaining subjects. wills & trusts are ok but i didn't wanna include em because they often get paired with community property and that alone makes them terrible.

SO agreed RE: CA Civ Pro. Fucking A. Ditto with property. FUCK property. I don't want to do corps though because I suck at corps.

I'm down for Crim/Torts/A&P/Evidence/ABA-PR though.

lameslice57

Postby lameslice57 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:13 am

My_name_is_jimmothy wrote:I took the bar exam twice. I passed the second time, but the first time I missed by less than 10 points. I spent the night before day 3 stressing about cal civ pro. Had I ignored it, I probably would have passed the first time.

I think if it gets tested it'll be a crossover. Freer was the barbri lecturer last year for civ pro and he sounded like he knew what the likely test hypo would look like in the event cal civ pro were tested- if I remember he said it'd likely be a PJ/motion to quash service/demurrer and some other stuff...

I'd spend a couple hours studying it- 2-3% of your overall study time IMO

Do any BarBri peeps have a recollection of what Freer said would likely be tested for Cal Civ Pro (in the unlikely scenario it shows up)?

InTheWideLand I Walk

Postby InTheWideLand I Walk » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:14 am

funny you guys want all those topics. I prefer the minutia because on the "easy issues", if you dont get it 100% right u fail because everybody knows it and the exam is basically curved. This happened on July 2014 cuz they did simple contracts, negligence, and evidence question where they basically spoonfed u all the issues and it was the highest fail rate its been in ten years. now on the other hand, on the "hard" ones, even if u just bearly get the rules right, you pass.

my ideal exam would be this,

essay 1: torts: defamation/malicious prosecution/abuse of process/citizens arrest/false light/invasion of privacy/intrusion upon seclusion. you have to spot all the issues they dont hand them to you.
essay 2: remedies: specific damages for trespass to chattel, conversion, misrepresentation,- oh yeah and they dont tell u the issues u have to spot them and the facts say DO NOT DISCUSS NEGLIGENCE, BATTERY, OR ASSAULT. and it asks you to discuss a preliminary injunction, permanent injunction, and temporary restraining order
essay 3: property/crim crossover: government seizure of property based on crim forfeiture statute, with a mortgage attached to the property. mixed in with a lateral support and riparian rights issue. 6th amendment issues come in during a trial at the end.
essay 4: constitutional law: pure takings only question where they ask you to discuss total takings and partial takings
essay 5: community property: pure community property question, with quasi-cp and quasi-marital property, and van camp, pereira, reverse pereira, and reverse van camp all in the same question.
essay 6: an essay with a will, and a SEPERATE trust, mixed in with securities issues.

and no PR not even on the pt (everybody studies for PR so if you dont get it 100% perfect, you fail.)

of course, this will never happen. they will probably open with PR, and it will be duty of loyalty/conflicts of interest. and if you dont get it 100% perfect, u fail.

californiabarprep

Postby californiabarprep » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:26 pm

For Ontario Convention Center, are hooded sweatshirts allowed? I dunno if that counts as a hoodie/hat that is banned.

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:51 pm

californiabarprep wrote:For Ontario Convention Center, are hooded sweatshirts allowed? I dunno if that counts as a hoodie/hat that is banned.

It's a gated community, so they're only permissible if you're okay with getting shot.

But seriously...You should be prepared for an involuntary cavity search. They are dead serious about enforcing the #2 pencil rule and past takers have been known to get cheeky in bypassing this rule. They. Will. Find. Out.

a male human

Postby a male human » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:23 pm

An Agent and Discipline Enforcer of the National Conference of Bar Examiners rummaged through my Ziploc® bag to discover a paper clip, a strictly prohibited item during the sacred administration of the MBE.

Ignorance of the law was no excuse, and my paper clip was seized from my possession.

atticus89

Postby atticus89 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:37 pm

smokeylarue wrote:I just want to make sure after registering the Softest crap that we got 5 exams downloaded to our system right? 4 real files and a mock exam. I don't want to be missing one on exam day.

You have to submit the mock exam now as part of the certification process, so you should have 4 real exam files downloaded to your computer on exam day.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:38 pm

a male human wrote:An Agent and Discipline Enforcer of the National Conference of Bar Examiners rummaged through my Ziploc® bag to discover a paper clip, a strictly prohibited item during the sacred administration of the MBE.

Ignorance of the law was no excuse, and my paper clip was seized from my possession.

:lol:

Since you've taken the exam already maybe you can answer this, someone posted in another CA thread that there are no wall clocks provided and we can bring our own. Is that true?

redblueyellow

Postby redblueyellow » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:41 pm

InTheWideLand I Walk wrote:essay 1: torts: defamation/malicious prosecution/abuse of process/citizens arrest/false light/invasion of privacy/intrusion upon seclusion. you have to spot all the issues they dont hand them to you.

Is this a new tort I don't know about?

soj

Postby soj » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:46 pm

redblueyellow wrote:
InTheWideLand I Walk wrote:essay 1: torts: defamation/malicious prosecution/abuse of process/citizens arrest/false light/invasion of privacy/intrusion upon seclusion. you have to spot all the issues they dont hand them to you.

Is this a new tort I don't know about?

it's like a defense to false imprisonment if the defendant had probable cause you committed a crime. kinda like shopkeeper's privilege but broader to include all misdemeanors and felonies. there are a couple nuances with private persons vs cops and misdemeanors vs felonies, so look those up

a male human

Postby a male human » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:50 pm

Pleasye wrote:
a male human wrote:An Agent and Discipline Enforcer of the National Conference of Bar Examiners rummaged through my Ziploc® bag to discover a paper clip, a strictly prohibited item during the sacred administration of the MBE.

:lol:

Since you've taken the exam already maybe you can answer this, someone posted in another CA thread that there are no wall clocks provided and we can bring our own. Is that true?

You can bring your own 4"x4" clock or an analog watch (my preference). Some test centers should have a wall clock, however.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:02 pm

a male human wrote:You can bring your own 4"x4" clock or an analog watch (my preference). Some test centers should have a wall clock, however.

Hm I always thought there would be a wall clock. Guess I need to find a watch or clock to bring in. Sorry for all the questions, but do you know if there is a ban on digital clocks like there was for the LSAT?

a male human

Postby a male human » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:04 pm

Pleasye wrote:
a male human wrote:You can bring your own 4"x4" clock or an analog watch (my preference). Some test centers should have a wall clock, however.

Hm I always thought there would be a wall clock. Guess I need to find a watch or clock to bring in. Sorry for all the questions, but do you know if there is a ban on digital clocks like there was for the LSAT?

Yeah, don't bring digital anything. I think there's a list of allowed and disallowed items on the bar website somewhere.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:05 pm

a male human wrote:
Pleasye wrote:

Yeah, don't bring digital anything. I think there's a list of allowed and disallowed items on the bar website somewhere.

I was just coming back to edit and say I found the link to the rules. Thank you!

Also for anyone wondering: http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/Portals ... CIES_R.pdf

BuenAbogado

Postby BuenAbogado » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:20 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:
californiabarprep wrote:For Ontario Convention Center, are hooded sweatshirts allowed? I dunno if that counts as a hoodie/hat that is banned.

It's a gated community, so they're only permissible if you're okay with getting shot.

But seriously...You should be prepared for an involuntary cavity search. They are dead serious about enforcing the #2 pencil rule and past takers have been known to get cheeky in bypassing this rule. They. Will. Find. Out.

Too soon bro, too soon. Gotta wait until September 2017.

BuenAbogado

Postby BuenAbogado » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:21 pm

Pleasye wrote:

I purchased a digital cooking clock for the bar exam and found out I couldn't use it, so I had to take up cooking as a hobby after that or else I would have had nothing to do with the clock.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:55 pm

Speaking of which, how is everyone planning on keeping track of time during the test? Should I just buy a cheap Casio watch and use that, or is there a cheap alternative that is actually a stopwatch of some sort?

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:08 pm

BuenAbogado wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:

Too soon bro, too soon. Gotta wait until September 2017.

I forgot about the 5 year 7 month SoL on jokes related to deaths...Fuck; I'm never going to pass the Bar :(

gaagoots

Postby gaagoots » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:20 pm

Pleasye wrote:
a male human wrote:
Pleasye wrote:

I was just coming back to edit and say I found the link to the rules. Thank you!

Also for anyone wondering: http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/Portals ... CIES_R.pdf

Beware of dumb rules coming out on MBE day (it's cell block H day). We were told at our testing center we could NOT blow our noses with tissues at our exam table. We would have to go to the bathroom to do that. Stupid NCBE did not consider February=Cold and Flu season.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”