July 2015 California Bar Exam

brotherdarkness

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby brotherdarkness » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:03 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:Only closed book exam I had at Berkeley was Evidence.

Which seems weird, because you'd think Evidence is a more difficult subject matter than most...

It was a visiting professor, so perhaps closed book was more common where he teaches full-time. In any case, I'm just as terrible at evidence as the subjects for which I had open book exams, so I'm not sure how much learning something cold two years ago actually matters.

Worker and Parasite

Postby Worker and Parasite » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:19 am

Do you guys have a listing of the types of documents that might be requested during the CPT? Like memo, jury instructions, pleadings, motion for summary judgments?

If so, do you guys have really rough templates? Nothing with substantive stuff, just when I should know what goes at the top and bottom of docs (signature line, firm heading, etc)

sopranorleone

Postby sopranorleone » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:01 pm

Just registered my laptop. The instructions said we can't register a second, backup laptop. That sucks, and I thought it was standard procedure to have a second laptop ready to go in case the first goes kaput. Anyone else notice this?

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:45 pm

sopranorleone wrote:Just registered my laptop. The instructions said we can't register a second, backup laptop. That sucks, and I thought it was standard procedure to have a second laptop ready to go in case the first goes kaput. Anyone else notice this?

Yup; no backups and the last day to get "certified" is Friday, July 24.

Also, I thought it said you could up until a certain point at the cost of $50 to "transfer" the use/license if something happens to your laptop between now and then? It's only on test day you'd be screwed if something happens...

Loud Kiddington

Postby Loud Kiddington » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:59 pm

Do essay topics typically only appear once per exam?

And is it worth doing a lot of CPT practice? They don't seem too bad

paulshortys10

Postby paulshortys10 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:10 pm

Loud Kiddington wrote:Do essay topics typically only appear once per exam?

And is it worth doing a lot of CPT practice? They don't seem too bad

You should at least practice a couple CPTs. If you're not used to the particular assignment, it could a bad day for you. better to take a couple hours to get acquainted with the process and what it requires so there are no surprises.

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:15 pm

Loud Kiddington wrote:Do essay topics typically only appear once per exam?

Typically, but they sometimes are tested twice (w/overlaps). I think Contracts, Remedies, and Property were all tested twice February 2015

Charger

Postby Charger » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:02 pm

Aside from the Barbri essay book, what is a good source for past essay prompts? I want to run through and outline as many essays as possible in the next 2 weeks.

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:11 pm

Charger wrote:Aside from the Barbri essay book, what is a good source for past essay prompts? I want to run through and outline as many essays as possible in the next 2 weeks.

Bar's Website for Essays from 2010 to present: http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/Examina ... Exams.aspx

2002-2009 CBX Essays saved by others: http://calweasel.com/node/153

You can repay me w/good karma. Thanks in advance :wink:

a male human

Postby a male human » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:24 pm

Don't be afraid to repeat essays you've already done if you run out. It is unlikely you'll have completely internalized the concepts with just one playthrough.

Redamon1

Postby Redamon1 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:07 am

Is there a way to practice taking essays in Exam Soft? There's a "mock" exam available in the system but I've already used it and uploaded it as part of the certification process.

a male human

Postby a male human » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:16 am

You can submit as many mock exams as you want IIRC. You could also use Word and set it to Web Layout so it looks similar to SofTest.

BTW can I admit a pet peeve? Almost everyone calls it ExamSoft, but that's the name of the company. SofTest is the actual software you use.

Charger

Postby Charger » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:25 am

robinhoodOO wrote:
Charger wrote:Aside from the Barbri essay book, what is a good source for past essay prompts? I want to run through and outline as many essays as possible in the next 2 weeks.

Bar's Website for Essays from 2010 to present: http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/Examina ... Exams.aspx

2002-2009 CBX Essays saved by others: http://calweasel.com/node/153

You can repay me w/good karma. Thanks in advance :wink:

Solid, thanks! Good karma going everyone's way!

a male human wrote:Don't be afraid to repeat essays you've already done if you run out. It is unlikely you'll have completely internalized the concepts with just one playthrough.

This is a good idea, cause you're absolutely right about not having internalized all the concepts. Thanks!

Redamon1

Postby Redamon1 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:18 am

a male human wrote:You can submit as many mock exams as you want IIRC. You could also use Word and set it to Web Layout so it looks similar to SofTest.

BTW can I admit a pet peeve? Almost everyone calls it ExamSoft, but that's the name of the company. SofTest is the actual software you use.

Thanks. It looks like you have to log into the system and "download" an additional mock exam. So it seems to be working. I just said ExamSoft cause I'm taking the bar exam, so all I know to do right now is group think. :lol: :lol:

Charger

Postby Charger » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:48 am

When doing the Barbri practice PTs, I like to put post-its on the first page of each section (task memo, file, library) so it's easier to flip pages around looking for stuff. On the actual exam, does it come in one booklet, like the Barbri materials, or do they come in 3 separate booklets?

Calicakes

Postby Calicakes » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:57 pm

I get extra time for a physical disability and a laptop is part of my accommodation( meaning, I dont have to pay the laptop fee. Strike that, I pay the fee and then they send me back a check. Totally inefficient). My instructions say to make sure I have a backup computer because if something happens, I'd have to handwrite. I'd NEVER be able to do that because I have arthritis. How do I put the examsoft software on a second computer?

BuenAbogado

Postby BuenAbogado » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:34 pm

For PR, I understand the distinctions between the ABA Model Rules and CA, but how does the Model Code come into play? Address it? Don't address it? How is it different? Any light shed on this would be appreciated.

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:02 pm

Calicakes wrote:I get extra time for a physical disability and a laptop is part of my accommodation( meaning, I dont have to pay the laptop fee. Strike that, I pay the fee and then they send me back a check. Totally inefficient). My instructions say to make sure I have a backup computer because if something happens, I'd have to handwrite. I'd NEVER be able to do that because I have arthritis. How do I put the examsoft software on a second computer?

Contact them directly.

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:05 pm

BuenAbogado wrote:For PR, I understand the distinctions between the ABA Model Rules and CA, but how does the Model Code come into play? Address it? Don't address it? How is it different? Any light shed on this would be appreciated.

On an essay, it'll usually say "What ethical violations, if any, did Attorney commit under the ABA? CA? Discuss both." Or something to that effect.

How you tackle it beyond that is entirely up to you. Personally, I start with the Duty implicated/violated, and then give the rule statement. If the rule is mostly similar, the rule statement sets forth: "The CA and ABA rules of professional conduct set forth..." If they are different enough to warrant conversation (i.e. sexual conduct w/clients), I start with one: "Under the CA rules of PC..." Analyze, and then conclude. Then do ABA. Obviously using proper headings to get the point across.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:19 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:
BuenAbogado wrote:For PR, I understand the distinctions between the ABA Model Rules and CA, but how does the Model Code come into play? Address it? Don't address it? How is it different? Any light shed on this would be appreciated.

On an essay, it'll usually say "What ethical violations, if any, did Attorney commit under the ABA? CA? Discuss both." Or something to that effect.

How you tackle it beyond that is entirely up to you. Personally, I start with the Duty implicated/violated, and then give the rule statement. If the rule is mostly similar, the rule statement sets forth: "The CA and ABA rules of professional conduct set forth..." If they are different enough to warrant conversation (i.e. sexual conduct w/clients), I start with one: "Under the CA rules of PC..." Analyze, and then conclude. Then do ABA. Obviously using proper headings to get the point across.

Yup. The essays generally require us to discuss both ABA and CA rules so that's what we gotta do ( :( )

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:24 pm

Pleasye wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:

Yup. The essays generally require us to discuss both ABA and CA rules so that's what we gotta do ( :( )

The ayes have it...Motion granted. You shall hereby apply both.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:54 pm

Does anyone have a good CA Civ Pro outline/comparison to Fed Civ Pro?

hotsummer

Postby hotsummer » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:57 am

Sorry if it's already mentioned before, but could anyone please share the thoughts about which previous PTs are definitely worth of doing? Anything particularly hard when you tried or ones you just thought as good for practice?

BuenAbogado

Postby BuenAbogado » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:15 am

robinhoodOO wrote:

Read my post again ;) Gotta read the facts carefully my man!

a male human

Postby a male human » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:16 am

hotsummer wrote:Sorry if it's already mentioned before, but could anyone please share the thoughts about which previous PTs are definitely worth of doing? Anything particularly hard when you tried or ones you just thought as good for practice?

first, if you're out of time (with just 14 days left now), do at least one objective and at least one subjective memo. they're most likely to appear. as for specific ones to practice, see below for the ones i like (and in fact handpicked for practicing for my own study)

sorry for the utter lack of formatting, just copied it from my guide https://goo.gl/BpCCNS

Feel free to shore up on types of PT you want to practice, but here are 9 exemplars in
order of overall difficulty and in tiers. I picked the first 7 for my own use to get a varied
experience. The July 2013 ones were compulsory for me, but it doesn’t have to be for
you. They weren’t messing around when they made them. Or were they? I mean, were
they experimental or what? Jesus
Straightforward ones—start with these
 Snyder v. Regents of the University of Columbia, Feb 2008 PT-B
o Objective memo
o Statement of facts
 Estate of Small, Feb 2006 PT-B
o Persuasive brief
o Statement of facts
 In re Snow King, Feb 2004 PT-A
o Persuasive brief
o Memo to client
 Pearson v. Savings Galore, July 2008 PT-B
o Objective memo
Mid-tier ones to try—get these under your belt
 State v. Dolan, Feb 2013 PT-B
o Closing argument (persuasive)
 Vasquez v. Speakeasy, July 2010 PT-A
o Persuasive brief
 Farley v. Dunn, 2009 July PT-A
o Brief in support of summary judgment
o Statements of uncontested material facts
Insanity—if you can handle these, you’re good to go
 People v. Draper, July 2013 PT-B
o Objective memo
 In re SIA, July 2013 PT-A
o Objective memo
Also, your bar prep material probably has a section on various miscellaneous formats like
a declaration or will or something. You can skim over those just so you won’t feel
completely lost. However, the instructions will likely tell you how to format your will,
and all PTs are objective or persuasive in nature. The format is merely a technicality. You
should direct your focus to how to form objective or persuasive arguments.
Last edited by a male human on Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”