July 2015 California Bar Exam

corpora_delicti

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby corpora_delicti » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:22 pm

Does anyone know how to access MBE scores? I know CA won't release scoring information if you passed, and NCBE won't release them if you request a score report if the jurisdiction doesn't authorize - but I haven't been able to find information that specifically says CA doesn't allow an MBE score report if requested from NCBE.

Is there a way to find out by attempting to transfer the score to a different jurisdiction?

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:23 pm

Pleasye wrote:
kjartan wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:
kjartan wrote:Does anyone else think it's in incredibly poor taste to post that you passed on FB?

If you're bragging or being douche-y, yes, but if you're just letting people know with an update, I don't see a problem with it.

I just think it's shitty because chances are good that you know someone who didn't pass.

I had the same thought and wasn't going to post. But when I passed and realized how many people I wanted to tell I just gave up and posted something.

I think what was in really poor taste was this guy posting the ATL article about the horrific pass rate and being like "For those of us who passed we're so special because we took the last 3 day exam and passed the hardest one in 30 years!"

I did the same thing and I agree about people like that guy (hell, I know a few people like that).

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:26 pm

corpora_delicti wrote:Does anyone know how to access MBE scores? I know CA won't release scoring information if you passed, and NCBE won't release them if you request a score report if the jurisdiction doesn't authorize - but I haven't been able to find information that specifically says CA doesn't allow an MBE score report if requested from NCBE.

Is there a way to find out by attempting to transfer the score to a different jurisdiction?

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that if you passed, you can only figure out whether you passed in a handful of jurisdictions (i.e. DC) as to your MBE. Basically, you find out if your MBE was higher than the minimum requisite in those particular jurisdictions and it's like 130 and 150. Perhaps there is another way to figure it out more precisely...

JosephusMyer

Postby JosephusMyer » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:40 pm

kjartan wrote:Does anyone else think it's in incredibly poor taste to post that you passed on FB?

I did, and most people I know did too. My family wants to know, and most of them live too far away for any other method of spreading the news to be efficient. I'm worried about the people I know took the bar but haven't posted on FB - I really hope they passed.

That said, if you're posting on FB that you passed, you need to be humble. Remember that you expected to fail, and that passing is a blessing. Remember that this is a ridiculous, protectionist test designed to be exclusionary. Remember great lawyers didn't always pass first time. If you know people who have failed, include a line or two commiserating with them and wishing them good luck next time around. Don't spike the ball. Breath a sigh of relief, and get back to work.

kjartan

Postby kjartan » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:46 pm

JosephusMyer wrote:

I did, and most people I know did too. My family wants to know, and most of them live too far away for any other method of spreading the news to be efficient. I'm worried about the people I know took the bar but haven't posted on FB - I really hope they passed.

That said, if you're posting on FB that you passed, you need to be humble. Remember that you expected to fail, and that passing is a blessing. Remember that this is a ridiculous, protectionist test designed to be exclusionary. Remember great lawyers didn't always pass first time. If you know people who have failed, include a line or two commiserating with them and wishing them good luck next time around. Don't spike the ball. Breath a sigh of relief, and get back to work.

I passed and didn't post anything on FB because I know that I would hate to see the avalanche of "passed" statuses if I had failed.

needaday

Postby needaday » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:02 pm

kjartan wrote:
JosephusMyer wrote:

I passed and didn't post anything on FB because I know that I would hate to see the avalanche of "passed" statuses if I had failed.

let it go. ppl post all kinds of shit on fb, so why not news that they passed the bar? and if they want to gloat, then let them gloat. they just accomplished something big. it's not any different from any other personal milestone that others may not have achieved. it's not your job or anyone else's job to protect ppl who failed the bar. they are more than capable of fending for themselves. ppl who fail the bar fail due to temporary misfortune, not b/c they are emotional basketcases that constantly need to be shielded by others.

horrorbusiness

Postby horrorbusiness » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:18 pm

needaday wrote:
kjartan wrote:
JosephusMyer wrote:

let it go. ppl post all kinds of shit on fb, so why not news that they passed the bar? and if they want to gloat, then let them gloat. they just accomplished something big. it's not any different from any other personal milestone that others may not have achieved. it's not your job or anyone else's job to protect ppl who failed the bar. they are more than capable of fending for themselves. ppl who fail the bar fail due to temporary misfortune, not b/c they are emotional basketcases that constantly need to be shielded by others.

+1

i passed, and posted a short status saying so, but if i'd failed i certainly wouldn't hold other people doing so against them. like the above poster said, it's a big accomplishment (even though i'd concede that i feel like i just got lucky). it's not like anyone that passed did so at another's expense.

Law School

Postby Law School » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:34 pm

Has anyone used Maretta Ward for private tutoring? Any advice/info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

a male human

Postby a male human » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:50 pm

needaday wrote:
kjartan wrote:
JosephusMyer wrote:

My solution is to not post ANY updates on my Facebook.

gaagoots

Postby gaagoots » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:16 pm

Here is the link to the scaling formula the bar used for July 2015

https://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/Portal ... 201507.pdf

Doing a Con Law/RP crossover after 3 MBE subjects shows this thing is a mind f*ck.

kjartan

Postby kjartan » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:25 pm

needaday wrote:
kjartan wrote:
JosephusMyer wrote:

Look, if you want to break your arm patting yourself on the back, be my guest.

needaday

Postby needaday » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:29 pm

kjartan wrote:
needaday wrote:
kjartan wrote:
JosephusMyer wrote:

Look, if you want to break your arm patting yourself on the back, be my guest.

exactly my point

Underoath

Postby Underoath » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:36 pm

I didn't pass. I knew I didn't after that third day though. Took Themis. Called about their guarantee free course review. Got the same response about someone calling me back within 24 hours.

Oh well....life moves on. Just trying to figure out how to study with a full time job now. Hmmm.

Underoath

Postby Underoath » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:13 pm

I'm getting real tired of people continuing to ask me about the exam after I already said I failed and I'm ok. Yet they keep asking fuckin questions about it!!!

a male human

Postby a male human » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:20 pm

Underoath wrote:I'm getting real tired of people continuing to ask me about the exam after I already said I failed and I'm ok. Yet they keep asking fuckin questions about it!!!

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:59 pm

Guys,

I passed AND I failed last time. I have the best tutor in the world and if anyone needs her number let me know!

legalize-it

Postby legalize-it » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:21 am

nyny wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:Congrats to everyone that passed. This is truly an accomplishment. As a great attorney told me, now the real work begins.

To those that didn't make it, I'm gutted for you. Any of the passers could have just as easily been in your shoes with a pass rate of 46%. That said, there is a tremendous amount t of good advice in this forum. Use it. Many have failed and gone on to pass. Hell, last night alone I spoke to 2 attorneys who both failed their first time. It may be daunting, but you can and will get back on the horse.

If anyone wants to reach out about my study methods or anything whatsoever, I will gladly offer whatever I have. You guys have been amazing. Onward!

Congrats to you robinhoodOO, you have been a major asset to this forum and the people in it. Your chart gave me a sense of security before finding out that I passed. You paid it forward and congrats attorney. :D

Hi,
Could you please share the "chart" or other helpful info that helped you pass? I studied like crazy this time, and I followed the exam writing outline, but don't know what the hell happened....I'll be waiting for the breakdown to see what my weaknesses were, but obviously need to improve. Does anyone know what type of number spread we need to appeal to a 3rd or another reading (after the 2 automatic ones?). thanks and congratulations everyone! I know how hard everyone works for the BS bar!

FU_BAR

Postby FU_BAR » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:40 am

FancyP wrote:I failed for the third time in a row. Used Barbri, Bar essays, and Adaptibar. In utter shock. No idea how close/far I was from passing until the score reports come out. I don't know what to do next--take it again in Feb or wait--when I do study for it, how to do something different without breaking bank. Dreading going into work on Monday with my tail between my legs. Passed the MA bar on the first try. Just devastated and disappointed that all of the sacrifices, time, tears, and stress these past three unsuccessful times were all for nothing. :(

I used Themis and Bar Essays, but honestly if I had to do it again, I'd just get Bar Essays. This is because I learned 1000x better when I actually had to apply the law. Also, all of the writing prompts are available for free online. Do about 3 essays per day, and spend at least an hour reviewing model answers. Rewrite your essays to be perfect without time restrictions. Do that until your timed essays look exactly like the 70+ essays on Bar Essays. By the end of your studying, you should have gone through almost every essay prompt.

Keep track of which issues you miss most in any given subject. Bar Essays has a bulleted table of issues tested for each essay, so you can try a new essay on an issue you screwed up. For example, I blew an essay on Takings, so after reviewing my essay, I searched their issues table and found another takings essay prompt.

For the MBE, just stick with Adaptibar. Can't really get better than that (wish I used it). Again, just focus on your weaknesses.

Keep your head up man! It's a hell of a test, but you'll get past it.

KatieSpades

Postby KatieSpades » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:02 am

kjartan wrote:
JosephusMyer wrote:

The flood of "I passed" statuses all at once when I didn't pass (the first time) sent me into a level 5 nervous breakdown. It was definitely a bad idea to get drunk BEFORE checking results and then staying online that night when I found out I failed. I was still happy for my friends who passed (the next morning) but just very drunk and irrationally jealous.

Raiden

Postby Raiden » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:59 pm

FU_BAR wrote:
FancyP wrote:I failed for the third time in a row. Used Barbri, Bar essays, and Adaptibar. In utter shock. No idea how close/far I was from passing until the score reports come out. I don't know what to do next--take it again in Feb or wait--when I do study for it, how to do something different without breaking bank. Dreading going into work on Monday with my tail between my legs. Passed the MA bar on the first try. Just devastated and disappointed that all of the sacrifices, time, tears, and stress these past three unsuccessful times were all for nothing. :(

I used Themis and Bar Essays, but honestly if I had to do it again, I'd just get Bar Essays. This is because I learned 1000x better when I actually had to apply the law. Also, all of the writing prompts are available for free online. Do about 3 essays per day, and spend at least an hour reviewing model answers. Rewrite your essays to be perfect without time restrictions. Do that until your timed essays look exactly like the 70+ essays on Bar Essays. By the end of your studying, you should have gone through almost every essay prompt.

Keep track of which issues you miss most in any given subject. Bar Essays has a bulleted table of issues tested for each essay, so you can try a new essay on an issue you screwed up. For example, I blew an essay on Takings, so after reviewing my essay, I searched their issues table and found another takings essay prompt.

For the MBE, just stick with Adaptibar. Can't really get better than that (wish I used it). Again, just focus on your weaknesses.

Keep your head up man! It's a hell of a test, but you'll get past it.

But if you already have themis, do you really need Adaptibar? From my understanding, Themis uses real MBE questions, just like adaptibar.

Neveragain

Postby Neveragain » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:27 pm

Buenabogado- congrats, and who was your tutor?
Also, is Lawjunky a tutor?

BrokenMouse
im above average FICO buddy

Postby BrokenMouse » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:47 pm

Last edited by BrokenMouse on Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

juniormint33

Postby juniormint33 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:50 pm

BrokenMouse wrote:Can someone share how much adaptibar and bar essays cost?

Adaptibar is $395 without a coupon. BarEssays is significantly less. I think I paid less than $100 with a school coupon.

EyeTwitchAllSummer

Postby EyeTwitchAllSummer » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:51 pm

Hi, everyone.

I failed the July 2015 CA bar exam and am looking for tutor recommendations. (I used Themis.) If you hired a tutor and you are happy with the help the tutor gave you, please send me the tutor's name and contact info. Thank you very much :)

LSHopeful91

Postby LSHopeful91 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:21 pm

So who got the closest to passing without passing? (July Fail here)

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”