Zaizei

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby Zaizei » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:03 pm

24 hours...

BrokenMouse
im above average FICO buddy

Postby BrokenMouse » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:24 pm

Last edited by BrokenMouse on Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

odd.gold

Postby odd.gold » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:26 pm

BrokenMouse wrote:
odd.gold wrote:So I'm a foreign trained attorney who took the CA bar for the first time this last July. It took me 4 months of 15hr per day of continuous study; took barbri and completed 100% of their personal study assignments. I also supplemented my studies with Fleming's performance exam seminar or whatever. My biggest mistake was not subscribing to adaptibar or to any exam-like/real MBE questions provider. I have no clue what did I do in the MBE but session 1 was just bad and I had to mark the last five questions before the proctor called time. I scored 149 in barbri MBE and was averaging about 75% on the practice questions but none of those questions were like the real thing. I also took the MPRE this August and passed with a scaled score of 126.

Day 1 was just okay I guess; did amazingly great on all three essays and the PTA-A was just fine. Day 2 was bad; I literally felt sick after I got off the second session because I was guessing on a fair share of the questions! Day 3; essay #4 cp hit all the major issues and small issues; i would surprised if I didn't get +75 on this one. Essay#5 didn't mention anything about the watered stock that was issued to pay for whomever wages despite me first spotting the issue and putting it into the outline but I guess under pressure, I just forgot. Essay#6 I blew it, didn't mention taking for subpart A, discussed some sdp and pdp s***, didn't mention variance or anything of the sort. PTA-B was okay.

I've kept myself busy those past four months and worked two full time jobs (obviously not law related) and will work my ass off tomorrow until the hour comes to 6 :mrgreen:

Do you guys think that I would have any chance of getting a job if I passed, what are some of the sources I can employ to enhance my chances taking into account that most of the hiring happens during Law school in the US?

What if I didn't pass, I don't think I'm going to be able to pull myself together and be able to study 15hr a day for the next three months and then wait anxiously for another four months? Repeaters: can you share your stories, how did you get over the ominous phrase "this name doesn't appear on the pass list"?

I'm trying to prepare for the worst while we wait for 33 hours, 39 minutes to pass!!!

Wow r u my twin? Exactly the same experience for me. I know I bombed the MBEs because I guessed on all of them... virtually. I never took CP in law school but I know for a fact i pwned it, including Hug and Nelson exact calculation. #5 was a cluster fuck I didnt even know how to structure ot. Just went on forever and had like 20 mins for #6. All i said for #6 was like 1 rule "if there is some use of the land then no taking". I bullshitted the analysis by writing some shit like 1) it is a taking 2) for public use 3) with just compensation.

I've read on the other MBE thread of people posting about how they felt they blew the MBE and got 150s and 140s scaled scores; hopefully, I'll be one of those people who felt shit about the MBE and turned out to have aced them!

Do you know if the essays are individually scaled or do they calculate the scores of all the essays and then decide how many points they are going to give to all of the essays?

If it is what I'm thinking then I'm on the safe side for the essays because I know for a fact that most of the examiners blew essay#5 and #6 and the scale would be high enough to get me a 60 or a 65.

Anyways, less than 24 hours and we'll all know!

Underoath

Postby Underoath » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:29 pm

Haven't posted since a few days after the exam...I'm back. I know I failed....not going to look right at 6. I will most likely wait until 6:01. :roll:

kjartan

Postby kjartan » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:55 pm

Underoath wrote:Haven't posted since a few days after the exam...I'm back. I know I failed....not going to look right at 6. I will most likely wait until 6:01. :roll:

I don't even remember how well I did at this point. I blocked it all out.

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:20 pm

Anyone else to the point where you're worried you'll be mistakenly on the pass list?!

Has that ever happened? Fook

gaagoots

Postby gaagoots » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:21 pm

Raiden wrote:Speaking of which, what's the process of getting sworn in? I think you have to find a judge or something, I also presume you print out some form for them to sign.

You use those on this list

http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/Portals ... 0214_R.pdf

They charge $200 something if you swear in before December 1st, it's free for the month of December. They bill you the whole $400+ by Feb.

When you get your packet in the mail the oath card is enclosed and it is signed by the person who is authorized and sent to the State Bar. My understanding is you can practice after the State Bar receives it. It still takes time to give you your bar #. I think they are still issuing 30-something numbers.

All those letters are waiting in some big plastic US Mail box which no doubt they will mail tomorrow night after last pick up.

MarcZero

Postby MarcZero » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:28 pm

kjartan wrote:
Underoath wrote:Haven't posted since a few days after the exam...I'm back. I know I failed....not going to look right at 6. I will most likely wait until 6:01. :roll:

I don't even remember how well I did at this point. I blocked it all out.

Same here. I think the worse part of failing (at least for me) is the process of picking up the pieces afterward. I wouldn't even know where to start on getting back in the groove of things. Pulling out all of those books again. Starting to re-draft all of those outlines and note cards again. Trying to remember all of those stupid laws they want you to know about subjects that are so far removed from the actual work I do (patent law). There is zero overlap between my day-to-day job and the bar so trying to stay on top of both seems almost impossible to me right now.

OK. I need to stop thinking about it. My heart rate is increasing just thinking about it all.

lawbosscalif

Postby lawbosscalif » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:31 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:Anyone else to the point where you're worried you'll be mistakenly on the pass list?!

Has that ever happened? Fook

It's happened in other states, but I don't believe it's happened in CA.

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:44 pm

It's officially on an hour countdown: http://apps.calbar.ca.gov/exam/

Shit just got real

lawbosscalif

Postby lawbosscalif » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:45 pm

Notorious RBG wrote:
a male human wrote:
lastbarplease wrote:Not to be a psycho, but everyone's says this:

CALIFORNIA BAR EXAMINATION

Admission requirement: Pass the California Bar Examination
Applicant status: Requirement not satisfied

Last exam applied for: July 2015
Application status: Application approved, 6/17/2015
Eligibility status: Eligible for 3-day General Bar Examination

a male human wrote:
tmanix wrote:Is it weird that the state bar website lets me register for the Feb 2016 bar exam?

Nah, that happens to some people for whatever reason. It doesn't indicate anything.

There is no known way to legitimately find out your results ahead of time.

I don't think that even changes once you pass, I think it changes once you are sworn in.

No it changes when you pass. Then you will be placed on motion to the supreme court.

InTheWideLand I Walk

Postby InTheWideLand I Walk » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:50 pm

anybody know what the national passage rate is up to this point?

JosephusMyer

Postby JosephusMyer » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:20 am

I have an applicant number below 1000. Do I need to include the leading zero in the applicant number on the results page?

gaagoots

Postby gaagoots » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:27 am

JosephusMyer wrote:I have an applicant number below 1000. Do I need to include the leading zero in the applicant number on the results page?

No. Mine was under 100 in Feb, just put it in, e.g 63. Not like filling it in on your essay books during the bar.

BuenAbogado

Postby BuenAbogado » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:34 am

gaagoots wrote:
JosephusMyer wrote:I have an applicant number below 1000. Do I need to include the leading zero in the applicant number on the results page?

No. Mine was under 100 in Feb, just put it in, e.g 63. Not like filling it in on your essay books during the bar.

Right, but if you failed, then you would get the same message regardless of how you entered it in, no?

gaagoots

Postby gaagoots » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:13 am

BuenAbogado wrote:
gaagoots wrote:

Right, but if you failed, then you would get the same message regardless of how you entered it in, no?

I had two digits and thought I had to enter 00 first. So I tried both ways and thumbs down, so yeah I suppose you are correct. Now my number is way way higher, like 7,000 more that last time. I really freaked out thinking they graded by applicant number thinking being in the first 75 meant I had the tough graders who cut their teeth on my essay and PT and being much harsher than being in the back. Strange thing is for those who didn't pass, we were given another number, one that was called a code number. It was on all 8 test booklets and in our score letter. I have no clue what that number relates to. I just can't imagine all those granny's who took forever gathering our crap after each day sticking on the code number tape on all the exam booklets. Perhaps that's why it takes so long ;-)

JosephusMyer

Postby JosephusMyer » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:59 am

Idle thought: I live five blocks away from the State Bar offices in Downtown LA. They mail the results out in the morning, if I remember correctly. My mail usually arrives in the afternoon. If the USPS is extraordinarily efficient at sorting, is there a chance my mail results will arrive before the online results?

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:01 am

lawbosscalif wrote:
Notorious RBG wrote:
a male human wrote:
lastbarplease wrote:Not to be a psycho, but everyone's says this:

CALIFORNIA BAR EXAMINATION

Admission requirement: Pass the California Bar Examination
Applicant status: Requirement not satisfied

Last exam applied for: July 2015
Application status: Application approved, 6/17/2015
Eligibility status: Eligible for 3-day General Bar Examination

a male human wrote:
tmanix wrote:Is it weird that the state bar website lets me register for the Feb 2016 bar exam?

Nah, that happens to some people for whatever reason. It doesn't indicate anything.

There is no known way to legitimately find out your results ahead of time.

I don't think that even changes once you pass, I think it changes once you are sworn in.

No it changes when you pass. Then you will be placed on motion to the supreme court.

This is wrong. This doesn't change until later on. Check the pass list like they tell you to.

ilovetheatre

Postby ilovetheatre » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:52 am

T minus 18hrs, 7mins, and 15secs.

I better have fucking passed.

sopranorleone

Postby sopranorleone » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:58 am

JosephusMyer wrote:Idle thought: I live five blocks away from the State Bar offices in Downtown LA. They mail the results out in the morning, if I remember correctly. My mail usually arrives in the afternoon. If the USPS is extraordinarily efficient at sorting, is there a chance my mail results will arrive before the online results?

I'm also in DTLA. Building off this, anyone want to just show up with me there tomorrow morning and see if they'll hand me my mail? Not like I'm going to be productive anyway

a male human

Postby a male human » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:02 am

JosephusMyer wrote:Idle thought: I live five blocks away from the State Bar offices in Downtown LA. They mail the results out in the morning, if I remember correctly. My mail usually arrives in the afternoon. If the USPS is extraordinarily efficient at sorting, is there a chance my mail results will arrive before the online results?

I think you should jump the mailman. Here's why:

1. Mailbox rule says once it's in the mailbox it's sent and out of their control
2. And if the state bar is a merchant (might as well be), since they're mailing by common carrier, it's FOB seller and all the risk is off of them

I don't know where I'm going with this

Clark Griswold

Postby Clark Griswold » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:05 am

My confidence that I passed lowers with every hour that counts down. I keep thinking about all the mistakes I made. From talking about relevance on the crim question, to adverse possession on the property question... Crap.

BuenAbogado

Postby BuenAbogado » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:20 am

Clark Griswold wrote:My confidence that I passed lowers with every hour that counts down. I keep thinking about all the mistakes I made. From talking about relevance on the crim question, to adverse possession on the property question... Crap.

Hearsay on crim
Adverse possession on RP
Too much variance talk and no EPC on con
No watered stock on Corp

Will still pass

Clark Griswold

Postby Clark Griswold » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:25 am

BuenAbogado wrote:
Clark Griswold wrote:My confidence that I passed lowers with every hour that counts down. I keep thinking about all the mistakes I made. From talking about relevance on the crim question, to adverse possession on the property question... Crap.

Hearsay on crim
Adverse possession on RP
Too much variance talk and no EPC on con
No watered stock on Corp

Will still pass

Love your confidence. Seems like we're in the same boat.
Only discussed Takings on Con so I could have used some EPC.
Spoke about the watered stock on Corp but the rest of my essay was bad.

Will still pass!

fear_no_evil

Postby fear_no_evil » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:22 am

Zaizei wrote:24 hours...

17 hours now... Will it go faster if I keep staring at the countdown? Ahh! guess I should go to bed.... after one more drink :lol:

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”