July 2015 California Bar Exam

ilovetheatre
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:16 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby ilovetheatre » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:51 pm

mike.alexander23 wrote:I do have one kinda-relevant question. Each of our essays goes through 8 different graders right? I know I hear people worrying that they hope they don't get a bad grader on a bad rainy day in the middle of a divorce, but the chances are that after having 8 different graders look at your answers, you should get a somewhat "fair" assessment, right? Or am I being too optimistic?

CBX graders only grade one of the essays/PTs, so you won't have the same grader for any of your essays/PTs.

Notorious RBG
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 12:27 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby Notorious RBG » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:15 pm

mike.alexander23 wrote:
Notorious RBG wrote:
BuenAbogado wrote:Did anyone else stupidly throw in a blurb about Hearsay on the 4th Amendment question?


ME!

Model answers will sometimes include a quick spot and drop (so to speak) for mildly relevant issues, and I was really stretching for content on that essay since they went out of their way to ONLY ask about the 4th amendment. So I said something like "by the way this isn't hearsay because it's a dog" and then one other time I don't remember. I don't think I would have done that if they had explicitly said to ONLY address 4th amendment concerns and NOT evidence rules, but in the end it doesn't really matter because the grader might internalize it like that regardless.

I don't think it will hurt you unless you go off on a tangent about it, which some people do because they don't understand the main issue well enough and are trying to fill space with stuff they are more comfortable with. I think as long as you didn't do that you're fine. But really who knows... that could be a pet peeve of your grader and boom, docked 5 points. Some tutors will tell you that kind of thing makes you look bad, others say if it occurs to you and you really studied you should write it down and then dismiss it. In the end your grader is a flawed person making a subjective judgment. Nobody knows anything.


I think for me, I was told in bar prep to not try and be an all-star. If I recall, Q3s call of the question expressly asked for 4th amendment analysis. So for me, I took that as a golden clue to not talk about Evidence. Now, as has been said, if you didn't go off on a tangent, I'm sure it's harmless to throw a hearsay line in there. But ultimately I think it would be a time waster and might put a bad taste in your grader's mouth who might ask, "Did analysis on other important issues suffer because of this?"

However, it was out of the box thinking to mention it and it might show that you can contextualize the law across many subjects. I didn't even think about hearsay as an issue for Q 3.


Yeah it could definitely go either way and it's impossible to predict which view your reader will take, but ultimately I don't think it would hurt. The safer bet would have been to not include it probably, and looking back and probably would not, but in the heat of the moment and all hyped up with adrenaline coursing through you, you have to make some split second decisions. At the time I remember thinking better to briefly include than be kicking myself later for not including. Definitely not a dealbreaker either way, as long as it was brief and the rest of the essay is solid.

Notorious RBG
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 12:27 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby Notorious RBG » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:17 pm

BuenAbogado wrote:
Notorious RBG wrote:
BuenAbogado wrote:Did anyone else stupidly throw in a blurb about Hearsay on the 4th Amendment question?


ME!

Model answers will sometimes include a quick spot and drop (so to speak) for mildly relevant issues, and I was really stretching for content on that essay since they went out of their way to ONLY ask about the 4th amendment. So I said something like "by the way this isn't hearsay because it's a dog" and then one other time I don't remember. I don't think I would have done that if they had explicitly said to ONLY address 4th amendment concerns and NOT evidence rules, but in the end it doesn't really matter because the grader might internalize it like that regardless.

I don't think it will hurt you unless you go off on a tangent about it, which some people do because they don't understand the main issue well enough and are trying to fill space with stuff they are more comfortable with. I think as long as you didn't do that you're fine. But really who knows... that could be a pet peeve of your grader and boom, docked 5 points. Some tutors will tell you that kind of thing makes you look bad, others say if it occurs to you and you really studied you should write it down and then dismiss it. In the end your grader is a flawed person making a subjective judgment. Nobody knows anything.


Good to hear. I went out on a date with some girl the other day and she put that too. So I'm hoping a lot of people threw it in there. And yeah, I did see on model answers how people would throw in seemingly irrelevant issues, gunner style.

On the flipside, on the civ pro essay, I only addressed Collateral Estoppel instead of going over res judicata too which I initially wanted to do. So I did follow directions on that one.


Estoppel is all over the map in the model answers. Some of them address only one and some do both, even if only one is asked about (because really most times it's relevant to at least bring them both up). I probably would have discussed both on this one but I was already over time so did not.

User avatar
acronyx
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:33 am

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby acronyx » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:44 pm

BuenAbogado wrote:Good to hear. I went out on a date with some girl the other day and she put that too. So I'm hoping a lot of people threw it in there. And yeah, I did see on model answers how people would throw in seemingly irrelevant issues, gunner style.

On the flipside, on the civ pro essay, I only addressed Collateral Estoppel instead of going over res judicata too which I initially wanted to do. So I did follow directions on that one.

Sounds like a fun date.

Clark Griswold
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:23 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby Clark Griswold » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:47 pm

Notorious RBG wrote:
BuenAbogado wrote:
Notorious RBG wrote:
BuenAbogado wrote:Did anyone else stupidly throw in a blurb about Hearsay on the 4th Amendment question?


ME!

Model answers will sometimes include a quick spot and drop (so to speak) for mildly relevant issues, and I was really stretching for content on that essay since they went out of their way to ONLY ask about the 4th amendment. So I said something like "by the way this isn't hearsay because it's a dog" and then one other time I don't remember. I don't think I would have done that if they had explicitly said to ONLY address 4th amendment concerns and NOT evidence rules, but in the end it doesn't really matter because the grader might internalize it like that regardless.

I don't think it will hurt you unless you go off on a tangent about it, which some people do because they don't understand the main issue well enough and are trying to fill space with stuff they are more comfortable with. I think as long as you didn't do that you're fine. But really who knows... that could be a pet peeve of your grader and boom, docked 5 points. Some tutors will tell you that kind of thing makes you look bad, others say if it occurs to you and you really studied you should write it down and then dismiss it. In the end your grader is a flawed person making a subjective judgment. Nobody knows anything.


Good to hear. I went out on a date with some girl the other day and she put that too. So I'm hoping a lot of people threw it in there. And yeah, I did see on model answers how people would throw in seemingly irrelevant issues, gunner style.

On the flipside, on the civ pro essay, I only addressed Collateral Estoppel instead of going over res judicata too which I initially wanted to do. So I did follow directions on that one.


Estoppel is all over the map in the model answers. Some of them address only one and some do both, even if only one is asked about (because really most times it's relevant to at least bring them both up). I probably would have discussed both on this one but I was already over time so did not.


I briefly talked about relevance and hearsay for the first call in the crim essay, but I didn't for the next two calls because I felt like it was out of place. I planned on going back and removing it but I ran out of time and unfortunately, it stayed. I'm hoping that it's not a deal breaker but I don't have a positive feeling about that essay as a whole, so it could be.

On the other hand, I have a feeling that mentioning res judicata in the civ pro essay won't have the same negative effective. while the non-mutual offensive CE was the issue to delve into, I think briefly mentioning res judicata and dismissing it only further demonstrates to the grader that you knew how to really pin point the issue in a rather murky area of law.

gaagoots
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:01 am

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby gaagoots » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:50 pm

a male human wrote:Sunday for those with the willpower and patience of a zen master
(or lost the card and doesn't know how to find the info elsewhere)


No way, true Type A's memorized their numbers when they got them. I won't check Sunday because I am scared to death my ex BF will make another mean call like he did after the results went public in May telling me "you f*ing failed the bah" (a true buck foston accent) Bar shaming is totally uncool.

User avatar
BuenAbogado
Posts: 238
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:43 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby BuenAbogado » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:02 pm

gaagoots wrote:
a male human wrote:Sunday for those with the willpower and patience of a zen master
(or lost the card and doesn't know how to find the info elsewhere)


No way, true Type A's memorized their numbers when they got them. I won't check Sunday because I am scared to death my ex BF will make another mean call like he did after the results went public in May telling me "you f*ing failed the bah" (a true buck foston accent) Bar shaming is totally uncool.


You gotta smahten up and pass the bah so you can get a good jahb and buy a fancy new cah that you can pahk in the pahking lot while you eat you ice cream with some jimmies at Quincy mahket

injun
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:28 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby injun » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:05 pm

a male human wrote:
injun wrote:This wait has been especially brutal for me. This is my 4th attempt (i've taken both Feb and July administrations in '14 and '15). I made small improvements each time:
2/14 -> 1284
7/14-> 1315
2/15-> 1340

Are there any repeaters out there that made a huge leap in score (i.e., 100+)? I went from 50s/55s in July '14 to 55s/60s in Feb '15. I made some more adjustments to the way I analyzed the elements of the rules I stated for questions, but I think I really goofed hard on Q5 and Q6 this year. Here's to hoping that I'm on the pass list this time! Best of luck to you guys

I made a jump of at least 70 points given I got something like a 1365 the first time. I initially thought I made a leap of 100+ but that was because I mistakenly looked at my written score of 1338.

Nonetheless I have heard of others actually making 100+ leaps, so it's definitely possible. I recognize your name from various places and know you've been working hard at it. I admire your perseverance and consistent improvement. Truly hoping to hear good news from you (and everyone else).


Thanks!

User avatar
robinhoodOO
Posts: 874
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:08 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby robinhoodOO » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:11 pm

gaagoots wrote:No way, true Type A's memorized their numbers when they got them. I won't check Sunday because I am scared to death my ex BF will make another mean call like he did after the results went public in May telling me "you f*ing failed the bah" (a true buck foston accent) Bar shaming is totally uncool.


This reminds me a guy my friend dated. Things didn't work out and you'd think any reasonable person would move on. Instead, he constantly texts her about how she's a horrible person, how she fucked him over, messages her "you deserved it" type comments regarding things posted to social media, etc. Is this a Napoleon complex thing? lol

gaagoots
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:01 am

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby gaagoots » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:13 pm

BuenAbogado wrote:
gaagoots wrote:
a male human wrote:Sunday for those with the willpower and patience of a zen master
(or lost the card and doesn't know how to find the info elsewhere)


No way, true Type A's memorized their numbers when they got them. I won't check Sunday because I am scared to death my ex BF will make another mean call like he did after the results went public in May telling me "you f*ing failed the bah" (a true buck foston accent) Bar shaming is totally uncool.


You gotta smahten up and pass the bah so you can get a good jahb and buy a fancy new cah that you can pahk in the pahking lot while you eat you ice cream with some jimmies at Quincy mahket



Make sure I wear the right 'culla' after I eyein'ed my shirt for Eastuh! hahaha.

gaagoots
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:01 am

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby gaagoots » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:18 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:
gaagoots wrote:No way, true Type A's memorized their numbers when they got them. I won't check Sunday because I am scared to death my ex BF will make another mean call like he did after the results went public in May telling me "you f*ing failed the bah" (a true buck foston accent) Bar shaming is totally uncool.


This reminds me a guy my friend dated. Things didn't work out and you'd think any reasonable person would move on. Instead, he constantly texts her about how she's a horrible person, how she fucked him over, messages her "you deserved it" type comments regarding things posted to social media, etc. Is this a Napoleon complex thing? lol



Yes I am much taller :-) . Someone (my mum in heaven) was watching over me, I didn't know he was at the same testing venue in July, never saw him. But I was in the repeater area (nose bleed seats) so we weren't in a hurry to rush out with the herd.

User avatar
tmanix
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:42 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby tmanix » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:20 pm

My horoscope for Friday:

"You may find your schedules running haywire today! Your workload may be daunting, especially if you’re an administrator. However, Ganesha says your diligence and commitment will tide you through. And you are still ready to party in the evening. What energy!" :lol:

User avatar
robinhoodOO
Posts: 874
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:08 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby robinhoodOO » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:22 pm

robinhoodOO wrote: Is this a Napoleon complex thing? lol


gaagoots wrote:Yes I am much taller :-) .


Ha! I should have been a psychology major in UG ;)

mike.alexander23
Posts: 270
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:24 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby mike.alexander23 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:37 pm

tmanix wrote:My horoscope for Friday:

"You may find your schedules running haywire today! Your workload may be daunting, especially if you’re an administrator. However, Ganesha says your diligence and commitment will tide you through. And you are still ready to party in the evening. What energy!" :lol:


Link?? I want to see mine so I should determine if I should still call off work :wink:

User avatar
tmanix
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:42 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby tmanix » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:38 pm

mike.alexander23 wrote:
tmanix wrote:My horoscope for Friday:

"You may find your schedules running haywire today! Your workload may be daunting, especially if you’re an administrator. However, Ganesha says your diligence and commitment will tide you through. And you are still ready to party in the evening. What energy!" :lol:


Link?? I want to see mine so I should determine if I should still call off work :wink:

http://www.ganeshaspeaks.com/aquarius/a ... ope.action

User avatar
tmanix
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:42 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby tmanix » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:02 pm

tmanix wrote:
mike.alexander23 wrote:
tmanix wrote:My horoscope for Friday:

"You may find your schedules running haywire today! Your workload may be daunting, especially if you’re an administrator. However, Ganesha says your diligence and commitment will tide you through. And you are still ready to party in the evening. What energy!" :lol:


Link?? I want to see mine so I should determine if I should still call off work :wink:

http://www.ganeshaspeaks.com/aquarius/a ... ope.action

What does it say?

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1687
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby a male human » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:07 pm

acronyx wrote:
BuenAbogado wrote:Good to hear. I went out on a date with some girl the other day and she put that too. So I'm hoping a lot of people threw it in there. And yeah, I did see on model answers how people would throw in seemingly irrelevant issues, gunner style.

On the flipside, on the civ pro essay, I only addressed Collateral Estoppel instead of going over res judicata too which I initially wanted to do. So I did follow directions on that one.

Sounds like a fun date.

Hey I make law jokes all the time with a 1L and she loves it (but she's weirder than I am so)

gaagoots wrote:
a male human wrote:Sunday for those with the willpower and patience of a zen master
(or lost the card and doesn't know how to find the info elsewhere)


No way, true Type A's memorized their numbers when they got them. I won't check Sunday because I am scared to death my ex BF will make another mean call like he did after the results went public in May telling me "you f*ing failed the bah" (a true buck foston accent) Bar shaming is totally uncool.

That's messed up.

I would never treat you like that, TLS user "gaagoots"... never...... :twisted:

User avatar
BuenAbogado
Posts: 238
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:43 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby BuenAbogado » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:29 pm

a male human wrote:
acronyx wrote:
BuenAbogado wrote:Good to hear. I went out on a date with some girl the other day and she put that too. So I'm hoping a lot of people threw it in there. And yeah, I did see on model answers how people would throw in seemingly irrelevant issues, gunner style.

On the flipside, on the civ pro essay, I only addressed Collateral Estoppel instead of going over res judicata too which I initially wanted to do. So I did follow directions on that one.

Sounds like a fun date.

Hey I make law jokes all the time with a 1L and she loves it (but she's weirder than I am so)

gaagoots wrote:
a male human wrote:Sunday for those with the willpower and patience of a zen master
(or lost the card and doesn't know how to find the info elsewhere)


No way, true Type A's memorized their numbers when they got them. I won't check Sunday because I am scared to death my ex BF will make another mean call like he did after the results went public in May telling me "you f*ing failed the bah" (a true buck foston accent) Bar shaming is totally uncool.

That's messed up.

I would never treat you like that, TLS user "gaagoots"... never...... :twisted:


I dunno... I don't trust someone that voluntarily subjects their own person to consistent torture to not do the same to someone else.

mike.alexander23
Posts: 270
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:24 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby mike.alexander23 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:31 pm

tmanix wrote:
tmanix wrote:
mike.alexander23 wrote:
tmanix wrote:My horoscope for Friday:

"You may find your schedules running haywire today! Your workload may be daunting, especially if you’re an administrator. However, Ganesha says your diligence and commitment will tide you through. And you are still ready to party in the evening. What energy!" :lol:


Link?? I want to see mine so I should determine if I should still call off work :wink:

http://www.ganeshaspeaks.com/aquarius/a ... ope.action

What does it say?


"You will not lose your cool today despite the overwhelming odds, feels Ganesha.

Doubt it, but ok...May the odds be ever in my favor

"Rationale and reason will be the rhyme of your attitude as you diagnose the problems and uproot them successfully.

Diagnose the PROBLEMS? Uh oh...

"Success beckons and you are ready to reach out and grab it by hook or by crook.

SUCCESS?!

Guard your reputation as your ethics might come under the scanner, says Ganesha."

I did BARELY pass the MPRE with an 86. So my ethics are always under the scanner.

User avatar
tmanix
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:42 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby tmanix » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:42 pm

mike.alexander23 wrote:
tmanix wrote:
tmanix wrote:
mike.alexander23 wrote:
tmanix wrote:My horoscope for Friday:

"You may find your schedules running haywire today! Your workload may be daunting, especially if you’re an administrator. However, Ganesha says your diligence and commitment will tide you through. And you are still ready to party in the evening. What energy!" :lol:


Link?? I want to see mine so I should determine if I should still call off work :wink:

http://www.ganeshaspeaks.com/aquarius/a ... ope.action

What does it say?


"You will not lose your cool today despite the overwhelming odds, feels Ganesha.

Doubt it, but ok...May the odds be ever in my favor

"Rationale and reason will be the rhyme of your attitude as you diagnose the problems and uproot them successfully.

Diagnose the PROBLEMS? Uh oh...

"Success beckons and you are ready to reach out and grab it by hook or by crook.

SUCCESS?!

Guard your reputation as your ethics might come under the scanner, says Ganesha."

I did BARELY pass the MPRE with an 86. So my ethics are always under the scanner.

Haha...fingers crossed!

User avatar
robinhoodOO
Posts: 874
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:08 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby robinhoodOO » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:42 pm

mike.alexander23 wrote:
"You will not lose your cool today despite the overwhelming odds, feels Ganesha.

Doubt it, but ok...May the odds be ever in my favor

"Rationale and reason will be the rhyme of your attitude as you diagnose the problems and uproot them successfully.

Diagnose the PROBLEMS? Uh oh...

"Success beckons and you are ready to reach out and grab it by hook or by crook.

SUCCESS?!

Guard your reputation as your ethics might come under the scanner, says Ganesha."

I did BARELY pass the MPRE with an 86. So my ethics are always under the scanner.


Mine provides advice for if I happen to be a housewife. I should, apparently, try a new recipe. What a spiritual awakening :lol:

User avatar
BuenAbogado
Posts: 238
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:43 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby BuenAbogado » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:46 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:
mike.alexander23 wrote:
"You will not lose your cool today despite the overwhelming odds, feels Ganesha.

Doubt it, but ok...May the odds be ever in my favor

"Rationale and reason will be the rhyme of your attitude as you diagnose the problems and uproot them successfully.

Diagnose the PROBLEMS? Uh oh...

"Success beckons and you are ready to reach out and grab it by hook or by crook.

SUCCESS?!

Guard your reputation as your ethics might come under the scanner, says Ganesha."

I did BARELY pass the MPRE with an 86. So my ethics are always under the scanner.


Mine provides advice for if I happen to be a housewife. I should, apparently, try a new recipe. What a spiritual awakening :lol:



You'd think it would say you should try to get out the kitchen, woman.

User avatar
robinhoodOO
Posts: 874
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:08 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby robinhoodOO » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:05 pm

BuenAbogado wrote:You'd think it would say you should try to get out the kitchen, woman.


IF I were a woman, I'd be one ugly, poor excuse for a lady. That said, I do love cooking and I've been dying to try a new Thai recipe ;)

mike.alexander23
Posts: 270
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:24 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby mike.alexander23 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:06 pm

goldeneye wrote:Registration opens Monday - anyone know anything about the test sites in the LA area? Also do we need to be at our computers at midnight or is this no big deal?


Good times...Simpler times

User avatar
BuenAbogado
Posts: 238
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:43 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby BuenAbogado » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:15 pm

mike.alexander23 wrote:
goldeneye wrote:Registration opens Monday - anyone know anything about the test sites in the LA area? Also do we need to be at our computers at midnight or is this no big deal?


Good times...Simpler times


And it seems like yesterday, it was just a dream. But those days are gone, they're just memories.




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests