July 2015 California Bar Exam

mike.alexander23

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby mike.alexander23 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:29 am

Are you guys doing anything Friday BEFORE the results are released? I just requested the day off from work and I think a round of beer golf will surely make the day go by quick.

MarcZero

Postby MarcZero » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:34 am

mike.alexander23 wrote:Are you guys doing anything Friday BEFORE the results are released? I just requested the day off from work and I think a round of beer golf will surely make the day go by quick.

I don't think I would want to take off work. I want to be busy and forget about it until about 5PM or so. I'd rather have 1 hour of freaking out and pacing around instead of all day. I told my wife I'm staying at work to check on my computer in my office so I can be alone for a bit if I didn't pass. Maybe order a pizza and commiserate on the forums to make myself feel better.

a male human

Postby a male human » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:59 pm

MarcZero wrote:
mike.alexander23 wrote:Are you guys doing anything Friday BEFORE the results are released? I just requested the day off from work and I think a round of beer golf will surely make the day go by quick.

I don't think I would want to take off work. I want to be busy and forget about it until about 5PM or so. I'd rather have 1 hour of freaking out and pacing around instead of all day. I told my wife I'm staying at work to check on my computer in my office so I can be alone for a bit if I didn't pass. Maybe order a pizza and commiserate on the forums to make myself feel better.

Yeah my boss found out before anyone else and got me a pizza so you might get your supervisor/boss to pony up something extra in the heat of the moment as well

BrokenMouse
im above average FICO buddy

Postby BrokenMouse » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:31 pm

Last edited by BrokenMouse on Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BrokenMouse
im above average FICO buddy

Postby BrokenMouse » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:36 pm

Last edited by BrokenMouse on Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:01 pm

I realize this is a stupid question, but 6 PM is 6 PM PST right? I'm not in CA currently so I just wanted to make sure.

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:22 pm

gaagoots wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:
gaagoots wrote:
mike.alexander23 wrote:Unreal how we have to be constantly reminded of the possibility of failing.

http://www.latimes.com/local/education/ ... story.html

Today I read this entire thread, viewtopic.php?f=41&t=251990. Those freaked out the most were not confident or banking on passing the MBE because of their high LSAT scores. Why else was this thread 35 pages long? Most of those participating had decent LSAT scores and were still befuddled by the MBE. The NCBE knows the majority of applicants narrowed their answers between two for a 50/50 chance. You have to laugh, it's not minimum competency to *guess* as a lawyer, let alone have 1.08 seconds to determine if your Gila monster client has constitutional rights that have been violated. The only thing in RL I've seen close to that was when PITA claimed Shamu was subject to involuntary servitude under the Thirteenth Amendment.

First comment I saw in response was a guy blaming affirmative action. Well, at least this has spurred some serious debate of the important issues :roll:

Reading it today killed a lot of time. Many of us from CA didn't participate since we still had day three to deal with. I think it's amazing what you did with your spreadsheet especially when you see those arguing that Wednesday and what their scores were in the end.

It'd be nice to also get everyone's LSAT and law school standing to make it more comprehensive for some in depth data on the stuff everyone is talking about. As opposed to just trusting what those on the 'inside' are saying. Half say LSAT matters and the other half says it doesn't, etc. And, if you pass, you don't even get your score. Which leaves me interested in looking at all of the raw data to determine what actual correlation exists, if any. But, we'll probably never see it (i.e. actual bar scores related to lsat scores, as opposed to just a cutoff for being "more likely" to pass).

And, ya, the comments were very interesting. I, however, am not banking on a test I took several years ago to have any relevant correlation, let alone causation effect, on how I performed or whether I passed. I'm banking on studying for 2 months, 8-10 hours/day, and the materials I beat into my skull and numerous practice exams and MBE's I did.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:33 pm

MarcZero wrote:

There's no way I'm checking at work. I'll probably work until lunch and then go see a movie or something.

mike.alexander23

Postby mike.alexander23 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:45 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:I realize this is a stupid question, but 6 PM is 6 PM PST right? I'm not in CA currently so I just wanted to make sure.

Yes 6PM PST.

mike.alexander23

Postby mike.alexander23 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:49 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:
gaagoots wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:
gaagoots wrote:
mike.alexander23 wrote:Unreal how we have to be constantly reminded of the possibility of failing.

http://www.latimes.com/local/education/ ... story.html

Today I read this entire thread, viewtopic.php?f=41&t=251990. Those freaked out the most were not confident or banking on passing the MBE because of their high LSAT scores. Why else was this thread 35 pages long? Most of those participating had decent LSAT scores and were still befuddled by the MBE. The NCBE knows the majority of applicants narrowed their answers between two for a 50/50 chance. You have to laugh, it's not minimum competency to *guess* as a lawyer, let alone have 1.08 seconds to determine if your Gila monster client has constitutional rights that have been violated. The only thing in RL I've seen close to that was when PITA claimed Shamu was subject to involuntary servitude under the Thirteenth Amendment.

First comment I saw in response was a guy blaming affirmative action. Well, at least this has spurred some serious debate of the important issues :roll:

Reading it today killed a lot of time. Many of us from CA didn't participate since we still had day three to deal with. I think it's amazing what you did with your spreadsheet especially when you see those arguing that Wednesday and what their scores were in the end.

It'd be nice to also get everyone's LSAT and law school standing to make it more comprehensive for some in depth data on the stuff everyone is talking about. As opposed to just trusting what those on the 'inside' are saying. Half say LSAT matters and the other half says it doesn't, etc. And, if you pass, you don't even get your score. Which leaves me interested in looking at all of the raw data to determine what actual correlation exists, if any. But, we'll probably never see it (i.e. actual bar scores related to lsat scores, as opposed to just a cutoff for being "more likely" to pass).

And, ya, the comments were very interesting. I, however, am not banking on a test I took several years ago to have any relevant correlation, let alone causation effect, on how I performed or whether I passed. I'm banking on studying for 2 months, 8-10 hours/day, and the materials I beat into my skull and numerous practice exams and MBE's I did.

Yeah, I too would like to see LSAT score and class rank data. (perhaps in that google spreadsheet?). I myself had a below average LSAT score (156), went to a Tier 3/4 and transferred to USC and graaduated .01 from Top 10%. So I know first hand that the LSAT may not be any indicator of success. Yet, it scares me that it was a standardized test similar to the bar.

Clark Griswold

Postby Clark Griswold » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:31 pm

The state bar sent me a letter on November 12th requesting me to update my moral character application... Rule 4.42 of the Admission Rules requires applicants to update their applications for determination of moral character whenever there is a change to information previously furnished to the bar examiners... Now I have a few questions: 1) Do you think this has anything to do with not passing the exam? I feel like the results would already be recorded and that maybe there is a chance that because I didn't pass I'm still considered an applicant. 2) Has anyone else received a similar request?

mike.alexander23

Postby mike.alexander23 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:39 pm

Clark Griswold wrote:The state bar sent me a letter on November 12th requesting me to update my moral character application... Rule 4.42 of the Admission Rules requires applicants to update their applications for determination of moral character whenever there is a change to information previously furnished to the bar examiners... Now I have a few questions: 1) Do you think this has anything to do with not passing the exam? I feel like the results would already be recorded and that maybe there is a chance that because I didn't pass I'm still considered an applicant. 2) Has anyone else received a similar request?

Interesting. I haven't gotten anything. When was your moral character app approved?

Clark Griswold

Postby Clark Griswold » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:44 pm

mike.alexander23 wrote:
Clark Griswold wrote:The state bar sent me a letter on November 12th requesting me to update my moral character application... Rule 4.42 of the Admission Rules requires applicants to update their applications for determination of moral character whenever there is a change to information previously furnished to the bar examiners... Now I have a few questions: 1) Do you think this has anything to do with not passing the exam? I feel like the results would already be recorded and that maybe there is a chance that because I didn't pass I'm still considered an applicant. 2) Has anyone else received a similar request?

Interesting. I haven't gotten anything. When was your moral character app approved?

It was approved June 2014. I figure they are just updating the info since it's been a year, but I'm on pins and needles waiting for results and everything is freaking me out.

mike.alexander23

Postby mike.alexander23 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:50 pm

Clark Griswold wrote:
mike.alexander23 wrote:

It was approved June 2014. I figure they are just updating the info since it's been a year, but I'm on pins and needles waiting for results and everything is freaking me out.

Yeah, I was going to say...Mine was approved just this past September. I think it's just a yearly letter update. I'm sure you're ok! 123 hours!

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:38 pm

mike.alexander23 wrote:
Clark Griswold wrote:
mike.alexander23 wrote:

Yeah, I was going to say...Mine was approved just this past September. I think it's just a yearly letter update. I'm sure you're ok! 123 hours!

Were you sued, arrested, file fom bankruptcy, fired, etc.? That would prompt them to request information if they earned about it. If not, it just sounds like 'maintenance.' I'd review your application and make any relevant changes just to make sure you're up to date.

Clark Griswold

Postby Clark Griswold » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:11 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:
mike.alexander23 wrote:
Clark Griswold wrote:
mike.alexander23 wrote:

Were you sued, arrested, file fom bankruptcy, fired, etc.? That would prompt them to request information if they earned about it. If not, it just sounds like 'maintenance.' I'd review your application and make any relevant changes just to make sure you're up to date.

None of the above. I did apply for loan deferment so maybe that raises some sort of flag in the system regarding my credit?

BuenAbogado

Postby BuenAbogado » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:29 pm

Clark Griswold wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:
mike.alexander23 wrote:
Clark Griswold wrote:
mike.alexander23 wrote:

None of the above. I did apply for loan deferment so maybe that raises some sort of flag in the system regarding my credit?

I too was approved June 2014. Haven't gotten anything about that. But when I failed last time I didn't get that, so I don't think it's something they send to failures. Now I'm scared.

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:45 pm

Clark Griswold wrote:None of the above. I did apply for loan deferment so maybe that raises some sort of flag in the system regarding my credit?

I clerk for a BK attorney and view credit reports and talk to lenders nearly daily. This wouldn't 'ding' anything and likely wouldn't be the cause. My guess is it's just 'maintenance' (checking in) since so much time has passed. I wouldn't fret, but I would review your application and make sure nothing needs to be updated (even your address).

injun

Postby injun » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:03 pm

I had my C&F application approved before the July 2014 CBX. I got something similar about a month ago... it requested that I submit any updates to my C&F profile, if i had any. Based on the form, I didn't have anything to add. I ended up getting a confirmation letter from the bar a few weeks later. I don't think the C&F stuff has anything to do with the exam, so I would not stress out about it.

I was wondering what you guys thought about the PTs. Did anyone think the both PTA and PTB were more difficult than previous years?

mike.alexander23

Postby mike.alexander23 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:11 pm

injun wrote:I had my C&F application approved before the July 2014 CBX. I got something similar about a month ago... it requested that I submit any updates to my C&F profile, if i had any. Based on the form, I didn't have anything to add. I ended up getting a confirmation letter from the bar a few weeks later. I don't think the C&F stuff has anything to do with the exam, so I would not stress out about it.

I was wondering what you guys thought about the PTs. Did anyone think the both PTA and PTB were more difficult than previous years?

PT A was a mess. I've heard from a lot of students that this was particularly tough. I don't think that PT B was that bad. It seemed to be a straight forward objective assignment. Then again, it's been four months so who knows

mike.alexander23

Postby mike.alexander23 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:38 pm

MarcZero

Postby MarcZero » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:52 pm

My FB feed is filled with everyone from my school in my home state doing their oath at a giant ceremony today, and here I am still freaking out about bar results. This is a special kind of hell.

BuenAbogado

Postby BuenAbogado » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:56 pm

MarcZero wrote:My FB feed is filled with everyone from my school in my home state doing their oath at a giant ceremony today, and here I am still freaking out about bar results. This is a special kind of hell.

Mine too, I counter with pics of me at the beach

BuenAbogado

Postby BuenAbogado » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:59 pm

injun wrote:I had my C&F application approved before the July 2014 CBX. I got something similar about a month ago... it requested that I submit any updates to my C&F profile, if i had any. Based on the form, I didn't have anything to add. I ended up getting a confirmation letter from the bar a few weeks later. I don't think the C&F stuff has anything to do with the exam, so I would not stress out about it.

PT A - Very hard, although if you wrote it in a responsive fashion, i.e. show that you clearly are addressing only the points that they brought up, you will be WAYYYYYYYYYYYY ahead of the pack. Many people I spoke with had no clue how to structure it, and/or did a freestyle.

PT B - Not sure how I did. I think I messed up by addressing remedies under each of the two issues, rather than make one entire section for remedies. Also I should have probably had a section for Applicable Law AND Facts rather than have them as two separate headings.

If I fail this exam, it will be because of the PTs.

tmanix

Postby tmanix » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:13 pm

BuenAbogado wrote:

PT A - Very hard, although if you wrote it in a responsive fashion, i.e. show that you clearly are addressing only the points that they brought up, you will be WAYYYYYYYYYYYY ahead of the pack. Many people I spoke with had no clue how to structure it, and/or did a freestyle.

PT B - Not sure how I did. I think I messed up by addressing remedies under each of the two issues, rather than make one entire section for remedies. Also I should have probably had a section for Applicable Law AND Facts rather than have them as two separate headings.

If I fail this exam, it will be because of the PTs.

My sentiments exactly.

For PT A, I inverted the headings from Plaintiff's opposition and used those to organize my answer. Hopefully the graders don't see through my BS.

I don't even remember what my answer to PT B look like 'cos I just kept writing until proctor called time. Also the fact that the PT B memo was addressed to a lay audience just made me super slow. I definitely skimped over the remedies analysis in PTB. Here's to hoping for the best.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”