July 2015 California Bar Exam

RaiRai

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby RaiRai » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:55 pm

ilovetheatre wrote:Where do I go to purchase/download SofTest for the CA bar? When I took the bar in another state, the SofTest registration link was sent in early June. I paid the CA laptop fee, but how do I get SofTest for the exam? TIA.

Have you received your admittance ticket info by email? The info and links are in that email. Anyway, the link is https://ei.examsoft.com/GKWeb/login/calbar
Last edited by RaiRai on Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RaiRai

Postby RaiRai » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:58 pm

RaiRai wrote:
ilovetheatre wrote:Where do I go to purchase/download SofTest for the CA bar? When I took the bar in another state, the SofTest registration link was sent in early June. I paid the CA laptop fee, but how do I get SofTest for the exam? TIA.

Have you received your admittance ticket by email? The info and links are in that email. Anyway, the link is https://ei.examsoft.com/GKWeb/login/calbar

Email should say the following:
You can now print your admittance ticket and the important Admittance Ticket Bulletin for the above referenced examination by logging into your Admissions Status Screen.
You can access the screen through the State Bar website under "Future Lawyers” by clicking here and selecting "Check your admissions status" in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.
Print the Admittance Ticket Bulletin by clicking here.
If you signed up to use a laptop for the examination, you must get your laptop certified. Please see the Laptop Computer Program Bulletin.

Charger

Postby Charger » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:53 am

RaiRai wrote:
RaiRai wrote:

Have you received your admittance ticket by email? The info and links are in that email. Anyway, the link is https://ei.examsoft.com/GKWeb/login/calbar

You can now print your admittance ticket and the important Admittance Ticket Bulletin for the above referenced examination by logging into your Admissions Status Screen.
You can access the screen through the State Bar website under "Future Lawyers” by clicking here and selecting "Check your admissions status" in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.
If you signed up to use a laptop for the examination, you must get your laptop certified. Please see the Laptop Computer Program Bulletin.

I never received an admittance ticket by email. Should I be worried? The last email I have from them is from back in March saying my application had been filed and was being processed. I also just tried to login, and it's giving me some crap about the server not being available and to try again later. WTF.

RaiRai

Postby RaiRai » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:07 am

Charger wrote:
RaiRai wrote:
RaiRai wrote:

I never received an admittance ticket by email. Should I be worried? The last email I have from them is from back in March saying my application had been filed and was being processed. I also just tried to login, and it's giving me some crap about the server not being available and to try again later. WTF.

I think they process it in the order they receive it. Or it may have gone to your spam? The admission status page says: "If you have an email spam blocker, please add: admissions.la@calbar.ca.gov to your contact or safe list."

https://sbc.calbar.ca.gov/default.aspx

Charger

Postby Charger » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:19 am

RaiRai wrote:
Charger wrote:
RaiRai wrote:
RaiRai wrote:

I think they process it in the order they receive it. Or it may have gone to your spam? The admission status page says: "If you have an email spam blocker, please add: admissions.la@calbar.ca.gov to your contact or safe list."

I checked it again this morning, and it says admittance ticket not yet available. Hmm. Not too late to worry, I guess?

RaiRai

Postby RaiRai » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:27 am

Charger wrote:
RaiRai wrote:
Charger wrote:
RaiRai wrote:
RaiRai wrote:

I checked it again this morning, and it says admittance ticket not yet available. Hmm. Not too late to worry, I guess?

No need to worry at this point. I think I applied as soon as the application opened too.

Charger

Postby Charger » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:29 am

RaiRai wrote:
Charger wrote:
RaiRai wrote:
Charger wrote:
RaiRai wrote:
RaiRai wrote:

Thanks! I'll check again in a week or two.

No need to worry at this point. I think I applied as soon as the application opened too.

acronyx

Postby acronyx » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:01 pm

RaiRai wrote:
Charger wrote:
RaiRai wrote:
Charger wrote:
RaiRai wrote:
RaiRai wrote:

I just got my ticket last week so I definitely wouldn't worry yet. We also have another month to certify our laptops with Softest ("Applicants assigned to laptop computer test centers must be certified no later than Friday, July 24, 2015.").

SpAcEmAn SpLiFF

Postby SpAcEmAn SpLiFF » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:03 pm

Quick dumb crimlaw question:
On the MBE, assuming there's no specific statute in the question, should we follow the common law definition of conspiracy (i.e. you need two or more people for a conspiracy)?

Underoath

Postby Underoath » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:48 pm

SpAcEmAn SpLiFF wrote:Quick dumb crimlaw question:
On the MBE, assuming there's no specific statute in the question, should we follow the common law definition of conspiracy (i.e. you need two or more people for a conspiracy)?

Yes. We follow common law for all crimes unless otherwise specified in the call of the question.

ilovetheatre

Postby ilovetheatre » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:49 pm

SpAcEmAn SpLiFF wrote:Quick dumb crimlaw question:

For Cim Law, follow common law unless told otherwise ("under the MPC" or "under the minority rule" or "in the modern trend").

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:52 pm

anyone know what we need to pass on the various sections? I know it's graded holistically and all that, just looking for a break from studying

soj

Postby soj » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:05 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:anyone know what we need to pass on the various sections? I know it's graded holistically and all that, just looking for a break from studying

by my rough calculations, if you score the same %age on mbe, essays, and the cpt, you need to score 72% on each section. that's 137 out of the 190 scored mbe questions

but then there's this which says 72% gets you 1664, not 1440, so idk. i probably (hopefully) fucked up my math somewhere
https://one-timers.com/calculate-your-f ... exam-grade
this says 128 mbe and 65% on essays/PT. makes me feel better

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:09 am

srs answers only pls

soj

Postby soj » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:10 am

fuck

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:14 am

I heard a little under 60 on the essays got the job done last time if you got the minimum on the MBE and PTs but I don't exactly know what that means.

I guess I'm mostly trying to figure out what a good number is for MBE practice tests.

soj

Postby soj » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:18 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:I heard a little under 60 on the essays got the job done last time if you got the minimum on the MBE and PTs but I don't exactly know what that means.

I guess I'm mostly trying to figure out what a good number is for MBE practice tests.

the link says 128 mbe (67%) and 65% essays/pt. higher mbe gives you more leeway on essays/pt. can anyone verify this

each time i do a mbe problem set i multiply my %age score by 190 and am disappointed with how low the number is. but i think 128 is doable

soj

Postby soj » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:22 am

speaking of srs, tho, it's pretty cool that you and i went through the entire law school process together, starting from the lsat, four years ago and here we are. we're almost there

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:24 am

soj wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:I heard a little under 60 on the essays got the job done last time if you got the minimum on the MBE and PTs but I don't exactly know what that means.

the link says 128 mbe (67%) and 65% essays/pt. higher mbe gives you more leeway on essays/pt. can anyone verify this

each time i do a mbe problem set i multiply my %age score by 190 and am disappointed with how low the number is. but i think 128 is doable

Boy I hope that link is just trying to motivate people to study a little harder. Although even if it is right if you average 65 on the Essays/PTs you can score a 105 on the MBE and pass. Of course even 105 seems kind of high as a bare minimum but I guess it's all flexible. Maybe there are more 70 essay scores given out than they let on.

soj wrote:speaking of srs, tho, it's pretty cool that you and i went through the entire law school process together, starting from the lsat, four years ago and here we are. we're almost there

I'll cheer to that

soj

Postby soj » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:30 am

i'm just hoping i turn out to be great at the pt. i've given up on the other two sections being what will drag me past the finish line

SiRR

Postby SiRR » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:17 pm

RaiRai wrote:
Charger wrote:
RaiRai wrote:
Charger wrote:
RaiRai wrote:
RaiRai wrote:
ilovetheatre wrote:

I just got my ticket last week so I definitely wouldn't worry yet. We also have another month to certify our laptops with Softest ("Applicants assigned to laptop computer test centers must be certified no later than Friday, July 24, 2015.").

My eligibility status didn't change/wasn't able to print my admission ticket until CA Bar rec'd the bar certification from my school (which at my school doesn't happen until all spring grades are final/graduation processed). So, if your spring semester ends late/you've only recently graduated, it'll likely be a minute before your administrators get around to certifying graduation to the bar.

Charger

Postby Charger » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:14 pm

That makes sense then. My degree wasn't officially conferred (and certification wasn't sent) until last week. Thanks!

paulshortys10

Postby paulshortys10 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:58 pm

Any guesses as to what topics might come up for the essays portion?
Prof Resp seems to be a certain thing at this point. According to BarBri and Themis, Con law should make an appearance as well. Remedies + something else also seems like a likely subject.

a male human

Postby a male human » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:06 pm

a male human wrote:
horrorbusiness wrote:does anyone have predictions of what our essays will be on? besides professional responsibility, which seems like it certainly will be. can we assume they won't test on the same exact subtopics as july 2014? lol.

Remedies appeared in every one of the past 5? administrations, so I'd keep an eye out for that. PR is practically a given.

Generally I wouldn't worry too much about predictions and instead do your best to broadly learn everything. Going off predictions is too risky because no one can predict with 100% accuracy.

Instead, you can try to compensate for any lack of skills or confidence in a particular subject DURING test day (which I've mentioned before and will again next month if I remember).

SpAcEmAn SpLiFF

Postby SpAcEmAn SpLiFF » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:07 pm

Is there anyone else out there that hates Chemerinsky as much as I do? That dude is the worst lecturer I've ever had in my entire life, in anything. I listen to the Barbri lectures while driving to and from work because it's the only time of the day that I can really fit them in. They're so terrible that I almost fall asleep and crash my car. He is literally putting my life in danger with his shitty lectures. Plus the dude just has the most punchable face I've ever seen. :evil:

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”