July 2015 California Bar Exam

brotherdarkness

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby brotherdarkness » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:30 pm

Lol @ watching videos that re-hash those fucking essays. (a) I don't remember what I wrote, and (b) what good would it possibly do--everyone misses issues here and there, so those videos are guaranteed to freak you out rather than calm you down.

Fuck all of this tho. Seriously. I just want this behind me.

mike.alexander23

Postby mike.alexander23 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:34 pm

BuenAbogado wrote:Did anyone discuss recission or constructive trust for the Corp question? I didn't, I just discussed disgorgement, but sacuzzo is freaking me out.

Lol no. To summarize my remedies discussion, I simply said "damages". Lol

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:36 pm

gaagoots wrote:
mike.alexander23 wrote:Not to be a wet blanket (and I'm all for discussing essay questions), but aren't we banned from discussing exam questions?

Cookie Monster threatened to lock the NY thread for discussing them. We need this thread for the next three weeks :shock:

Why would we be??? They CBX released their essays already. I think you're thinking of MBE fact patterns that you can't discuss.

mike.alexander23

Postby mike.alexander23 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:38 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:
gaagoots wrote:
mike.alexander23 wrote:Not to be a wet blanket (and I'm all for discussing essay questions), but aren't we banned from discussing exam questions?

Cookie Monster threatened to lock the NY thread for discussing them. We need this thread for the next three weeks :shock:

Why would we be??? They CBX released their essays already. I think you're thinking of MBE fact patterns that you can't discuss.

OK OK. Just checking. I don't care, anyway. BAN ME COOKIE MONSTER

(jk)

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:41 pm

MC_ClapYourHands wrote:
BuenAbogado wrote:Anyone know why he didn't mention marriage of hugg for stock options on the CP essay?

On Q.1 why couldn't Patient argue that State B did have PJ over Doctor, relying on Calder v Jones/Keeton v Hustler? Patient could argue that the injuries he sustained took place in State B.

It's more of a 'stream of commerce' argument, which I did say could be argued, but would likely fail. A state can't gain PJ over a doctor merely because they implanted something and the person moves. There must still be voluntary and purposeful availment with the forum state, which there is none.

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:42 pm

mike.alexander23 wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:
gaagoots wrote:

OK OK. Just checking. I don't care, anyway. BAN ME COOKIE MONSTER

(jk)

Come at me, bro!

gaagoots

Postby gaagoots » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:48 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:
gaagoots wrote:

I know, its not logical but this is what Cookie Monster said to the New Yawkers....

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:Stop. Discussing. Essay answers.

This is correct. Continuing to do so will result in this thread being locked. This is your final warning.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:51 pm

Pretty sure NY doesn't release exam questions. If the Cal bar questions are publicly released and available to all, discuss away. (But not MBE.)

mike.alexander23

Postby mike.alexander23 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:52 pm

gaagoots

Postby gaagoots » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:53 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Pretty sure NY doesn't release exam questions. If the Cal bar questions are publicly released and available to all, discuss away. (But not MBE.)

Thanks Cookie Monster!!!

mike.alexander23

Postby mike.alexander23 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:58 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:
MC_ClapYourHands wrote:
BuenAbogado wrote:Anyone know why he didn't mention marriage of hugg for stock options on the CP essay?

On Q.1 why couldn't Patient argue that State B did have PJ over Doctor, relying on Calder v Jones/Keeton v Hustler? Patient could argue that the injuries he sustained took place in State B.

It's more of a 'stream of commerce' argument, which I did say could be argued, but would likely fail. A state can't gain PJ over a doctor merely because they implanted something and the person moves. There must still be voluntary and purposeful availment with the forum state, which there is none.

This. It makes for a nice tug and pull argument and analysis. But I believe ultimately that B wouldn't have PJx over D. But As long as you gave a good analysis and argument, it wouldn't make much a difference.

HOWEVER, the second call of the question kind of depends on the outcome of the first. If you conclude that D should be dismissed then there is a better argument for federal subject matter jx based on complete diversity (which needs the D to be not included for it to be complete diversity between the parties). So intuitively, I imagine the Bar Examiners wanted this to be a puzzle which depended on certain outcomes in each part of the essay in order for their to be a better flow in the narrative.

But I think if you put all this down in a coherent and logical way, I think you would be more than OK.

gaagoots

Postby gaagoots » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:06 pm

He's not Prof. Blumberg, probably didn't read her book or her BarBri outline. He missed a lot of details in that essay so bonus points for you mentioning Marriage of Hug.

BuenAbogado

Postby BuenAbogado » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:12 pm

gaagoots wrote:

He's not Prof. Blumberg, probably didn't read her book or her BarBri outline. He missed a lot of details in that essay so bonus points for you mentioning Marriage of Hug.

I will definitely need those bonus points for not analyzing time rule. Ughhhhh. But I did organize the essay in the logical CP fashion (source, etc)

needaday

Postby needaday » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:28 pm

mike.alexander23 wrote:
BuenAbogado wrote:Did anyone discuss recission or constructive trust for the Corp question? I didn't, I just discussed disgorgement, but sacuzzo is freaking me out.

that can't be good....if it makes u feel better, i spent 90% of my time discussing whether the various parties did anything wrong and i don't think i directly addressed remedies at all. i spent the other 10% on PR issues in a panic after realizing how much i lost track of time. was definitely my longest essay. im so FFFFUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKEEEEEDD.

tmanix

Postby tmanix » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:33 pm

November is upon us!

a male human

Postby a male human » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:28 pm

Happy Halloween, November, and end of daylight saving (my favorite Sunday of all)!

I almost couldn't get my $3 boorito yesterday because they didn't recognize my character...

[+] Spoiler

kjartan

Postby kjartan » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:52 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:Lol @ watching videos that re-hash those fucking essays. (a) I don't remember what I wrote, and (b) what good would it possibly do--everyone misses issues here and there, so those videos are guaranteed to freak you out rather than calm you down.

Exactly. Stop reading tea leaves and just wait for a definitive answer.

needaday wrote:
mike.alexander23 wrote:

that can't be good....if it makes u feel better, i spent 90% of my time discussing whether the various parties did anything wrong and i don't think i directly addressed remedies at all. i spent the other 10% on PR issues in a panic after realizing how much i lost track of time. was definitely my longest essay. im so FFFFUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKEEEEEDD.

Nah, it's probably fine. Honestly, I vaguely remember writing something on rescission but not constructive trust. Anyways, for the reasons stated above, I think we should refrain from delving into the specifics of the essay questions here.

Zaizei

Postby Zaizei » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:50 pm

It's late to ask this, but I'm curious :oops: : If I did well in the essays and PTs can I have a low score on the MBE part of the exam or there is a minimum of correct answers that everyone has to have to pass the exam? Also, is the following exam grade calculator reliable (if I try to estimate my grades for each part of the exam)? https://one-timers.com/calculate-your-f ... exam-grade

TIA

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:52 pm

Zaizei wrote:It's late to ask this, but I'm curious :oops: : If I did well in the essays and PTs can I have a low score on the MBE part of the exam or there is a minimum of correct answers that everyone has to have to pass the exam? Also, is the following exam grade calculator reliable (if I try to estimate my grades for each part of the exam)? https://one-timers.com/calculate-your-f ... exam-grade

TIA

There is no minimum on any one section. Just gotta hit 1440 total. I haven't heard anyone say the one-timers calculator is unreliable.

a male human

Postby a male human » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:55 pm

Zaizei wrote:It's late to ask this, but I'm curious :oops: : If I did well in the essays and PTs can I have a low score on the MBE part of the exam or there is a minimum of correct answers that everyone has to have to pass the exam? Also, is the following exam grade calculator reliable (if I try to estimate my grades for each part of the exam)? https://one-timers.com/calculate-your-f ... exam-grade

TIA

You can use the calculator as an estimate since it's based on past exam scaling data, not sure if it includes the most recent ones.

I used it to plug in some numbers to get a range of conservative to probable to liberal estimates, which made me further paranoid because the range crossed the 1440 border of life and death.

BuenAbogado

Postby BuenAbogado » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:05 pm

Token that bar email scared me post

tmanix

Postby tmanix » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:15 pm

BuenAbogado wrote:Token that bar email scared me post

Email says results are scheduled to be mailed out on November 6. Is there any chance of receiving results in the mail before November 20? Does anyone know?

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:26 pm

tmanix wrote:

Email says results are scheduled to be mailed out on November 6. Is there any chance of receiving results in the mail before November 20? Does anyone know?

There is absolutely ZERO chance you will receive them before 11/20. Zero. The emails says, "California Bar Examination are scheduled to be mailed to the applicants who took the examination on Friday, November 20, 2015; results will be sent to the addresses that applicants have on file as of November 6, 2015."

It's just saying you need to update your address prior to 11/6, as whatever is on file at that time is where your grades will be sent ;)

tmanix

Postby tmanix » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:24 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:
tmanix wrote:

There is absolutely ZERO chance you will receive them before 11/20. Zero. The emails says, "California Bar Examination are scheduled to be mailed to the applicants who took the examination on Friday, November 20, 2015; results will be sent to the addresses that applicants have on file as of November 6, 2015."

It's just saying you need to update your address prior to 11/6, as whatever is on file at that time is where your grades will be sent ;)

Thanks. My bad. Nov 20 just seems too far away

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:11 pm

tmanix wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:
tmanix wrote:

Thanks. My bad. Nov 20 just seems too far away

No worries! I had 2 classmates message me on FB minutes after the email was sent asking if grades were being mailed 11/6. I did a double and triple take haha. Easy to overlook what it says when we're all dying to know and our lives are on hold :/

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”