July 2015 California Bar Exam

Notorious RBG
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 12:27 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby Notorious RBG » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:54 am

Pleasye wrote:
MBAtoJD wrote:Essay #6 Model Answer...brought to you by One Timers Bar Prep (as seen on its Facebook page).

https://www.hightail.com/download/bXBiY ... SlRIRHNUQw

NOPE NOPE NOPE


YAAAAH I analyzed all three under the Penn Central regulatory taking test, barely mentioned zoning in general and procedural due process, and NOPE NOPE AND FUCK THAT to this question and this answer and the bar exam.

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7960
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby Pleasye » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:42 pm

Notorious RBG wrote:
Pleasye wrote:
MBAtoJD wrote:Essay #6 Model Answer...brought to you by One Timers Bar Prep (as seen on its Facebook page).

https://www.hightail.com/download/bXBiY ... SlRIRHNUQw

NOPE NOPE NOPE


YAAAAH I analyzed all three under the Penn Central regulatory taking test, barely mentioned zoning in general and procedural due process, and NOPE NOPE AND FUCK THAT to this question and this answer and the bar exam.

Lol I meant nope nope nope not even clicking the link. And I'm glad I didn't because I have no idea what the Penn Central test is.

needaday
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:15 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby needaday » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:01 pm

Notorious RBG wrote:
Pleasye wrote:
MBAtoJD wrote:Essay #6 Model Answer...brought to you by One Timers Bar Prep (as seen on its Facebook page).

https://www.hightail.com/download/bXBiY ... SlRIRHNUQw

NOPE NOPE NOPE


YAAAAH I analyzed all three under the Penn Central regulatory taking test, barely mentioned zoning in general and procedural due process, and NOPE NOPE AND FUCK THAT to this question and this answer and the bar exam.


lol. did the same thinking that each scenario was meant to emphasize one of the specific prongs (also I didnt even mention PDP). rest assured you did better than at least one person.

needaday
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:15 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby needaday » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:06 pm

For PT-B...how bad do you think it is if the memo wasn't written in plain english for a lay person? Considering it was one of two specific instructions for the PT, is that pretty much an auto 55?

why8434
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:08 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby why8434 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:05 pm

oh shit, did you drop a res ipsa loquitur in there? confound a mere lay person with 'res judicata'? yea, you're done for. see you in feb.

...just kidding. you're fine. if that's the thing you're thinking about you have nothing to worry about. :)

attjen
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:08 am

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby attjen » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:12 pm

MC_ClapYourHands wrote:
attjen wrote:any suggestions on cheap places to stay in Oakland that's near to the convention center?

Jack London Inn


Thank you. Are u able to say if it is within walking distance, say 5 - 10 mins away?

needaday
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:15 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby needaday » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:06 pm

why8434 wrote:oh shit, did you drop a res ipsa loquitur in there? confound a mere lay person with 'res judicata'? yea, you're done for. see you in feb.

...just kidding. you're fine. if that's the thing you're thinking about you have nothing to worry about. :)


hah. one of many things, but thanks for the reply.

Notorious RBG
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 12:27 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby Notorious RBG » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:27 pm

needaday wrote:
Notorious RBG wrote:
Pleasye wrote:
MBAtoJD wrote:Essay #6 Model Answer...brought to you by One Timers Bar Prep (as seen on its Facebook page).

https://www.hightail.com/download/bXBiY ... SlRIRHNUQw

NOPE NOPE NOPE


YAAAAH I analyzed all three under the Penn Central regulatory taking test, barely mentioned zoning in general and procedural due process, and NOPE NOPE AND FUCK THAT to this question and this answer and the bar exam.


lol. did the same thinking that each scenario was meant to emphasize one of the specific prongs (also I didnt even mention PDP). rest assured you did better than at least one person.


Now it will just come down to how many Heinekens my unemployed bar-grader had the night before. Seriously last time I had an essay with a 15 point difference between reads, which really tells you all you need to know about this foccaccia test.

Obviously my nerves are kicking up again after settling down in August. Crap sh*t f*ck.

MC_ClapYourHands
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:51 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby MC_ClapYourHands » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:52 pm

attjen wrote:
MC_ClapYourHands wrote:
attjen wrote:any suggestions on cheap places to stay in Oakland that's near to the convention center?

Jack London Inn


Thank you. Are u able to say if it is within walking distance, say 5 - 10 mins away?


Yeah, the convention center is about a 3-song-long walk. Keep in mind that I walk extra fast :D

why8434
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:08 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby why8434 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:02 am

needaday wrote:
why8434 wrote:oh shit, did you drop a res ipsa loquitur in there? confound a mere lay person with 'res judicata'? yea, you're done for. see you in feb.

...just kidding. you're fine. if that's the thing you're thinking about you have nothing to worry about. :)


hah. one of many things, but thanks for the reply.


i hear that. pardon my sass just trying to bring some levity to the situation...because fuck this. but in all honesty that really can't be a big deal - specified in the prompt or not, how stark of a difference can there really be between writing for a lay person and for a lawyer...it's going to be hard for them to draw a line between 'you wrote for lawyers, i award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul' vs. 'oh this person slipped and used a few big words here and there, but by and large s/he was probably writing for the common man'.

more importantly: i'm having trouble imagining how anything i (personally, maybe you're different) wrote on the bar will be construed as intelligent enough to look like it was written for lawyers.

needaday
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:15 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby needaday » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:33 pm

why8434 wrote:
needaday wrote:
why8434 wrote:oh shit, did you drop a res ipsa loquitur in there? confound a mere lay person with 'res judicata'? yea, you're done for. see you in feb.

...just kidding. you're fine. if that's the thing you're thinking about you have nothing to worry about. :)


hah. one of many things, but thanks for the reply.


i hear that. pardon my sass just trying to bring some levity to the situation...because fuck this. but in all honesty that really can't be a big deal - specified in the prompt or not, how stark of a difference can there really be between writing for a lay person and for a lawyer...it's going to be hard for them to draw a line between 'you wrote for lawyers, i award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul' vs. 'oh this person slipped and used a few big words here and there, but by and large s/he was probably writing for the common man'.

more importantly: i'm having trouble imagining how anything i (personally, maybe you're different) wrote on the bar will be construed as intelligent enough to look like it was written for lawyers.


no offense taken. really just asked to pass the time. this wait is killing me...

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby a male human » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:38 pm

Well, at least it's more than halfway over...

Is anyone here actually planning to check results on Sunday because you "don't care that much" or "want to have a relaxing weekend"?

User avatar
sopranorleone
Posts: 220
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:38 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby sopranorleone » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:52 pm

a male human wrote:Well, at least it's more than halfway over...

Is anyone here actually planning to check results on Sunday because you "don't care that much" or "want to have a relaxing weekend"?


I have a trip planned that weekend. Definitely checking on Friday night; the trip will be either to celebrate or drown my sorrows

mike.alexander23
Posts: 270
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:24 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby mike.alexander23 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:08 pm

a male human wrote:Well, at least it's more than halfway over...

Is anyone here actually planning to check results on Sunday because you "don't care that much" or "want to have a relaxing weekend"?


No way. Friday 5:59pm

Notorious RBG
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 12:27 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby Notorious RBG » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:49 pm

a male human wrote:Well, at least it's more than halfway over...

Is anyone here actually planning to check results on Sunday because you "don't care that much" or "want to have a relaxing weekend"?


If you say you don't care that much you are insane (for investing this much) or a huge liar. And how relaxing would your weekend really be if you don't check?

I feel like one wouldn't want to check just to not have to live that nightmare scenario where you plug in your name and nothing comes up, repeat 5 times, cry, repeat 10 more times, drink. I know several repeaters that just waited for the letter- though they were actually contacted by friends who had seen their name on the list first. I don't think I have the willpower to do that. However you find out you didn't pass, it's going to suck. The earlier you know the faster you can process and move on to your next steps, whatever that may be. And if you pass, get the party started earlier!

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby a male human » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:57 pm

^ I totally agree

Over the years, I've seen people who claim they will wait (and end up checking earlier anyway). I wanted to gauge how this group was feeling about this as I draft an email about bar results.

mike.alexander23
Posts: 270
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:24 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby mike.alexander23 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:02 pm

I'm going to digress a bit.

For those that are repeaters, would any care to share whether they truly felt, or had any doubt, that they passed? In other words, I'm trying to test the whole "You know when you did or didn't do well" theory. Did any of you know walking out of Day 3 that more likely than not that you had failed? Or were you completely blindsided?

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby a male human » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:08 pm

mike.alexander23 wrote:I'm going to digress a bit.

For those that are repeaters, would any care to share whether they truly felt, or had any doubt, that they passed? In other words, I'm trying to test the whole "You know when you did or didn't do well" theory. Did any of you know walking out of Day 3 that more likely than not that you had failed? Or were you completely blindsided?

I definitely felt more confident getting out of the test center the first time. Second time around, I really didn't know how I did. I felt like I missed a lot of issues, and I constantly played with the one-timers score predictor to gauge conservative to liberal estimates of my final score.

I think it's true that the more you know, the more you know what you don't know, which sometimes causes paranoia, feelings of inadequacy, impostor syndrome, etc.

I mean if you know for sure you bombed it because you left a PT blank or something, then yes, you probably didn't pass. On the other hand, if you're like "I can't believe I didn't discuss this one issue X! I'M FUCKED" then you're probably the annoying person who keeps telling his friends about how he's gonna have to repeat but then actually passes and celebrates and all his friends are like "shut the fuck up" in their heads

mike.alexander23
Posts: 270
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:24 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby mike.alexander23 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:23 pm

a male human wrote:
mike.alexander23 wrote:I'm going to digress a bit.

For those that are repeaters, would any care to share whether they truly felt, or had any doubt, that they passed? In other words, I'm trying to test the whole "You know when you did or didn't do well" theory. Did any of you know walking out of Day 3 that more likely than not that you had failed? Or were you completely blindsided?

I definitely felt more confident getting out of the test center the first time. Second time around, I really didn't know how I did. I felt like I missed a lot of issues, and I constantly played with the one-timers score predictor to gauge conservative to liberal estimates of my final score.

I think it's true that the more you know, the more you know what you don't know, which sometimes causes paranoia, feelings of inadequacy, impostor syndrome, etc.

I mean if you know for sure you bombed it because you left a PT blank or something, then yes, you probably didn't pass. On the other hand, if you're like "I can't believe I didn't discuss this one issue X! I'M FUCKED" then you're probably the annoying person who keeps telling his friends about how he's gonna have to repeat but then actually passes and celebrates and all his friends are like "shut the fuck up" in their heads


As a first time taker, I obviously don't know how to reconcile how I've felt the last 3 months with the results that will come. I don't feel horrible about it nor do I lose much sleep over it. I say this because I'm not trying to toot my own horn, but because a lot of my colleagues have felt the same way. It's kind of like a "bleh" feeling. I have other friends that are repeaters and when they tell me their tale there is always one red flag (i.e., didn't finish an essay/mbe section, worked full time and self studied only a few hours a day, completely missed a major issued, etc.).

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby a male human » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:30 pm

mike.alexander23 wrote:
a male human wrote:
mike.alexander23 wrote:I'm going to digress a bit.

For those that are repeaters, would any care to share whether they truly felt, or had any doubt, that they passed? In other words, I'm trying to test the whole "You know when you did or didn't do well" theory. Did any of you know walking out of Day 3 that more likely than not that you had failed? Or were you completely blindsided?

I definitely felt more confident getting out of the test center the first time. Second time around, I really didn't know how I did. I felt like I missed a lot of issues, and I constantly played with the one-timers score predictor to gauge conservative to liberal estimates of my final score.

I think it's true that the more you know, the more you know what you don't know, which sometimes causes paranoia, feelings of inadequacy, impostor syndrome, etc.

I mean if you know for sure you bombed it because you left a PT blank or something, then yes, you probably didn't pass. On the other hand, if you're like "I can't believe I didn't discuss this one issue X! I'M FUCKED" then you're probably the annoying person who keeps telling his friends about how he's gonna have to repeat but then actually passes and celebrates and all his friends are like "shut the fuck up" in their heads


As a first time taker, I obviously don't know how to reconcile how I've felt the last 3 months with the results that will come. I don't feel horrible about it nor do I lose much sleep over it. I say this because I'm not trying to toot my own horn, but because a lot of my colleagues have felt the same way. It's kind of like a "bleh" feeling. I have other friends that are repeaters and when they tell me their tale there is always one red flag (i.e., didn't finish an essay/mbe section, worked full time and self studied only a few hours a day, completely missed a major issued, etc.).

Yeah, September and October are "bleh." In the end, you can't really tell how it will turn out. It's a fairly subjective process how they grade you and where you stand with respect to other candidates. Just know that it's coming, and there's nothing you can do about it right now. Let's see how things change when November rolls around.

Notorious RBG
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 12:27 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby Notorious RBG » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:31 pm

a male human wrote:
mike.alexander23 wrote:I'm going to digress a bit.

For those that are repeaters, would any care to share whether they truly felt, or had any doubt, that they passed? In other words, I'm trying to test the whole "You know when you did or didn't do well" theory. Did any of you know walking out of Day 3 that more likely than not that you had failed? Or were you completely blindsided?

I definitely felt more confident getting out of the test center the first time. Second time around, I really didn't know how I did. I felt like I missed a lot of issues, and I constantly played with the one-timers score predictor to gauge conservative to liberal estimates of my final score.

I think it's true that the more you know, the more you know what you don't know, which sometimes causes paranoia, feelings of inadequacy, impostor syndrome, etc.

I mean if you know for sure you bombed it because you left a PT blank or something, then yes, you probably didn't pass. On the other hand, if you're like "I can't believe I didn't discuss this one issue X! I'M FUCKED" then you're probably the annoying person who keeps telling his friends about how he's gonna have to repeat but then actually passes and celebrates and all his friends are like "shut the fuck up" in their heads


Agree this test f*cks with your head more than any other test I've ever experienced. And ultimately, since the essay grading is so subjective AND so many people either barely pass or barely do not pass, I'm going to say that for most people how you feel afterwards is relatively meaningless.

edit: And just a random after thought- I feel like I know more people that thought they totally screwed up who ultimately passed, than people who were confident and then failed. But maybe that's just because law students are histrionic and dramatic.

BrokenMouse
im above average FICO buddy
Posts: 1352
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 1:14 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby BrokenMouse » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:23 am

.
Last edited by BrokenMouse on Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MBAtoJD
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:19 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby MBAtoJD » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:04 am

mike.alexander23 wrote:I'm going to digress a bit.

For those that are repeaters, would any care to share whether they truly felt, or had any doubt, that they passed? In other words, I'm trying to test the whole "You know when you did or didn't do well" theory. Did any of you know walking out of Day 3 that more likely than not that you had failed? Or were you completely blindsided?


Feb. 2014: I thought it could go either way. Had first timers jitters but still hoped I did well enough. I was devastated when I failed...the pain of taking it a second time made the failure even worse. Failed by 8 points. My score was 1432. I can never be a first time passer?!?! That hurt my pride!

July 2014: I thought I learned my lesson; knew my weaknesses so I was SURE I passed. I was only 8 points away last time so for sure I was in! I was so confident that I stupidly bought those "I passed the Bar" notecards ready to mail my friends and family with the expected good news. At this point I was not hurt but I was pissed. My score was 1338. But my raw score was similar to Feb 2014. I had a "what do you f&$king want from me?!?!" attitude.

Feb. 2015: I studied my ass off but I had this "I don't care what happens!" Unlike before when I ate...slept...dreamed Bar...I had fun while studying. It was the holiday period so I went to the Rose Bowl Parade in Pasadena, a friend's 12/13/14 wedding, went on Hollywood bus tour, spent an entire day at Universal Studios the 2nd week in January. I felt like 50 cent, I got shot 2 fucking times, I won't die if I get shot again. I'll just keeping going until I can't go anymore. After day 3, I thought there's no way I'm going to pass. I left the exam with no doubt of failure that I almost forgot to upload my answer. I was so convinced I failed that I thought uploading my answers won't make a darn difference. You don't take a pregnancy test if you had a hysterectomy. But hey...I was curious to see how far off from 1440 I was. I had no hope that I didn't even log in to see results at 6pm. It wasn't until 11:30pm just to get confirmation of my failure and to see something to get me back into serious study mode by Monday. I actually started studying lightly a month prior. When I logged in and saw green writing, I was confused. It took me a minute...this doesn't look like the red text I'm use to. Wait...I passed? Then I started feeling like maybe they just let me in by accident because there's no way I passed. Was it a pity pass? Whatever...I'll take it!

I still reads essays. I even read through all the July 2015 essays and issue spotted each one. There's this feeling of unfinished business because I wasn't mentally prepared to pass.

By the way, I think One Timers Essay 6 "model answer" is BS!

Notorious RBG
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 12:27 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby Notorious RBG » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:14 pm

MBAtoJD wrote:
mike.alexander23 wrote:I'm going to digress a bit.

For those that are repeaters, would any care to share whether they truly felt, or had any doubt, that they passed? In other words, I'm trying to test the whole "You know when you did or didn't do well" theory. Did any of you know walking out of Day 3 that more likely than not that you had failed? Or were you completely blindsided?


Feb. 2014: I thought it could go either way. Had first timers jitters but still hoped I did well enough. I was devastated when I failed...the pain of taking it a second time made the failure even worse. Failed by 8 points. My score was 1432. I can never be a first time passer?!?! That hurt my pride!

July 2014: I thought I learned my lesson; knew my weaknesses so I was SURE I passed. I was only 8 points away last time so for sure I was in! I was so confident that I stupidly bought those "I passed the Bar" notecards ready to mail my friends and family with the expected good news. At this point I was not hurt but I was pissed. My score was 1338. But my raw score was similar to Feb 2014. I had a "what do you f&$king want from me?!?!" attitude.

Feb. 2015: I studied my ass off but I had this "I don't care what happens!" Unlike before when I ate...slept...dreamed Bar...I had fun while studying. It was the holiday period so I went to the Rose Bowl Parade in Pasadena, a friend's 12/13/14 wedding, went on Hollywood bus tour, spent an entire day at Universal Studios the 2nd week in January. I felt like 50 cent, I got shot 2 fucking times, I won't die if I get shot again. I'll just keeping going until I can't go anymore. After day 3, I thought there's no way I'm going to pass. I left the exam with no doubt of failure that I almost forgot to upload my answer. I was so convinced I failed that I thought uploading my answers won't make a darn difference. You don't take a pregnancy test if you had a hysterectomy. But hey...I was curious to see how far off from 1440 I was. I had no hope that I didn't even log in to see results at 6pm. It wasn't until 11:30pm just to get confirmation of my failure and to see something to get me back into serious study mode by Monday. I actually started studying lightly a month prior. When I logged in and saw green writing, I was confused. It took me a minute...this doesn't look like the red text I'm use to. Wait...I passed? Then I started feeling like maybe they just let me in by accident because there's no way I passed. Was it a pity pass? Whatever...I'll take it!

I still reads essays. I even read through all the July 2015 essays and issue spotted each one. There's this feeling of unfinished business because I wasn't mentally prepared to pass.

By the way, I think One Timers Essay 6 "model answer" is BS!


This story had me running the full gamut of emotions that only a bar failer can know. That's crazy you went from 1432 to 1338! Well not "crazy". This test is crazy, clearly. I got 1420 last time with a pretty low MBE, and I did a lot of those prepping for July. Unfortunately the MBEs were a complete cluster of WTF so now I'm just blindly hoping for a miracle.

needaday
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:15 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby needaday » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:00 pm

glad the wknd is here. feels like a brief fast forward through the wait.




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 5 guests