July 2015 California Bar Exam

brotherdarkness

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby brotherdarkness » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:08 pm

BrokenMouse wrote:
soj wrote:what is with you people predicting 1 or even 2 more mbe essays. i figured day 3 essays will almost surely be all non-mbe, including pr. unless there's a crossover, having only 2 non-mbe essays (including pr) on the entire barzam seems too few

Well yes I think we should all expect to study PR and Evidence with CA distinctions. The only thing I can really put my money on is that PR is going to be on it, whether ABA or CA rules.

PR will definitely be "answer according to ABA and CA rules." No reason they wouldn't do that.

soj

Postby soj » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:09 pm

BrokenMouse wrote:
soj wrote:what is with you people predicting 1 or even 2 more mbe essays. i figured day 3 essays will almost surely be all non-mbe, including pr. unless there's a crossover, having only 2 non-mbe essays (including pr) on the entire barzam seems too few

Well yes I think we should all expect to study PR and Evidence with CA distinctions. The only thing I can really put my money on is that PR is going to be on it, whether ABA or CA rules.

i doubt evidence will show up, even with ca distinctions. that'll make four mbe essays

Redamon1

Postby Redamon1 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:10 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
BrokenMouse wrote:

PR will definitely be "answer according to ABA and CA rules." No reason they wouldn't do that.

Relatedly, I thought I read somewhere that half the essays would be from MBE subjects and half the essays would be state-specific stuff. Or was it that AT LEAST three essays, but maybe more, would be from MBE subjects? Given the exclusive focus on MBE topics today, I'm trying to figure out the implications are for Thursday...

GL to all with those MBEs tomorrow.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:11 pm

Typically there are 3-4 straight mbe topics so good chance it's all state all the time on Thursday. Can't worry about that now though gotta drink margaritas and get ready for mbe day

notcool

Postby notcool » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:12 pm

Ugh, I'm so mad at myself for screwing up essay #3 so much. Oh well. I can't do anything about it now.

The PT though -- I thought it was alright. But who knows. I probably missed things.

Underoath

Postby Underoath » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:15 pm

SpAcEmAn SpLiFF wrote:
Underoath wrote:
SpAcEmAn SpLiFF wrote:
Underoath wrote:
SpAcEmAn SpLiFF wrote:Anyone know what time we're supposed to show up for the MBE? I'm too braindead to check.

They told us doors open at 8:15am, but they are so DAMN SLOW!!!! But he said they will start at 8:45 I think,,,either way I'm not getting there until 8:30am listening to those instructions is nauseating.

Thanks. Hey were you the one that was also taking it in Ontario? I don't know how things are at your hotel, but the Holiday Inn is completely shitting the bed on everything. I can tell they're really overwhelmed, but they're stressing out quite a few bar takers lol

Im at the Double Tree....haha pure relaxation over here. :) I'm in my room though. Not trying to mingle. People are jackasses. lol...maybe I should be panicking because to be honest I was crying maybe two days before the exam and as of now I don't feel like I failed even though Essay #2 I didn't do the best...actually I didn't do well, but I hit all the issues, but didn't have time for analysis. Spent way too much time on #3

I was forced to mingle a little bit because my keycard stopped working. They had to reset it three times and bring a repairman up to my room before I could get in. And some poor other bar examinee was arguing with the lady at the front desk because she couldn't get his reservation right. Aaand their wake up call woke me up an hour early at 5:30 this morning. Plus the wifi barely works. It's been quite a shitshow over here.

whoa....ya it's nothing like that over here....

:/

man I'm kinda sleepy, but need to review PR, CP, and Biz and Wills because I dodged a bullet today.

Underoath

Postby Underoath » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:15 pm

notcool wrote:Ugh, I'm so mad at myself for screwing up essay #3 so much. Oh well. I can't do anything about it now.

The PT though -- I thought it was alright. But who knows. I probably missed things.

I messed up Essay #2...we are still ok...trust me.

Underoath

Postby Underoath » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:16 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Typically there are 3-4 straight mbe topics so good chance it's all state all the time on Thursday. Can't worry about that now though gotta drink margaritas and get ready for mbe day

I'm fucked then......time to study!!

SpAcEmAn SpLiFF

Postby SpAcEmAn SpLiFF » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:17 pm

Can anyone provide some input as to what happens if you're not prodigious with the issue headers? I panicked a little for the second and third essays because I was unsure on the law. There were points where I addressed an issue by stating the rule and analysis, but I didn't have a neat subheading for the issue itself. I'm not sure that I explicitly stated the issue either :?

soj

Postby soj » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:18 pm

SpAcEmAn SpLiFF wrote:Can anyone provide some input as to what happens if you're not prodigious with the issue headers? I panicked a little for the second and third essays because I was unsure on the law. There were points where I addressed an issue by stating the rule and analysis, but I didn't have a neat subheading for the issue itself. I'm not sure that I explicitly stated the issue either :?

barbri acts like missing a header once (or forgetting to irac even once) is an auto-fail, but i doubt you lost many points if any because of this

a male human

Postby a male human » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:23 pm

SpAcEmAn SpLiFF wrote:Can anyone provide some input as to what happens if you're not prodigious with the issue headers? I panicked a little for the second and third essays because I was unsure on the law. There were points where I addressed an issue by stating the rule and analysis, but I didn't have a neat subheading for the issue itself. I'm not sure that I explicitly stated the issue either :?

TBH I think it will depend on the grader. Having clear headers, like street signs, will help.

If you didn't include a few headers, it may not be a big deal. Best case, the grader will see everything and credit you. Worst case, the grader will skip over your entire analysis and assume you didn't identify the issue even if you did.

These are dangerous people who will read (or skim, depending on who you get) your essay on the road, on the toilet, or while eating slices of bread because they only get paid $3.25/essay. They have to read thousands of the same shit and will appreciate a clean presentation where you bust out clean IRACs one after the other.

Make their job easy on them by doing the work up front, and they might thank you.

Underoath

Postby Underoath » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:28 pm

How come the people in this thread aren't predicting Wills/Trusts or Business....

redblueyellow

Postby redblueyellow » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:29 pm

Does anyone have a good/easy source to read about PR CA/MR distinctions?

I have a few outlines with conflicting information, Leansheets is not good to present detailed info, and Kaplan's conviser-esque book is CA specific and doesn't lay out the distinctions cleanly.

soj

Postby soj » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:32 pm

redblueyellow wrote:Does anyone have a good/easy source to read about PR CA/MR distinctions?

I have a few outlines with conflicting information, Leansheets is not good to present detailed info, and Kaplan's conviser-esque book is CA specific and doesn't lay out the distinctions cleanly.

after flashcarding failed (i'll always remember one but not the other, or mix them up), i resorted to writing out the top 20 or so ca distinctions in a bullet point list and reading the list over and over like 30 times. gave up on the other distinctions because i can only do so much. probably won't work but w/e, too late to deal with that now

a male human

Postby a male human » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:34 pm

redblueyellow wrote:Does anyone have a good/easy source to read about PR CA/MR distinctions?

This may or may not help this late in the game: https://goo.gl/SeftiD

redblueyellow

Postby redblueyellow » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:37 pm

a male human wrote:

Thank you! If I at least make sure I nail a few, that's better than nothing!

redblueyellow

Postby redblueyellow » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:37 pm

soj wrote:

after flashcarding failed (i'll always remember one but not the other, or mix them up), i resorted to writing out the top 20 or so ca distinctions in a bullet point list and reading the list over and over like 30 times. gave up on the other distinctions because i can only do so much. probably won't work but w/e, too late to deal with that now

Lol, definitely too late for me to do something like that. Thinking about doing 20-30 MBE questions tonight, and then spending the rest of the time working on essay memorization.

Underoath

Postby Underoath » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:38 pm

a male human wrote:

Beautiful, thank you

Poopface

Postby Poopface » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:44 pm

i thought that PT was absurd, i felt like i had no idea what was going on and that nothing i wrote made sense haha. Felt real good about the first 2 essays, ok with the 3rd. I'm just pumped that we got all mbe topics today so we have a better idea of what to expect on thursday and can review a little before hand

BuenAbogado

Postby BuenAbogado » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:46 pm

Did they really hit us with a right of reverter on the first day?

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:48 pm

BuenAbogado wrote:Did they really hit us with a right of reverter on the first day?

Invalid restriction on alienation bruh.

BuenAbogado

Postby BuenAbogado » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:49 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
BuenAbogado wrote:Did they really hit us with a right of reverter on the first day?

Invalid restriction on alienation bruh.

Haha touche. I wrote something like courts are loathe to enforce invalid restrictions on alienation.

I also did some crazy math on that essay.

BrokenMouse
im above average FICO buddy

Postby BrokenMouse » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:57 pm

lol
Last edited by BrokenMouse on Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

InTheWideLand I Walk

Postby InTheWideLand I Walk » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:58 pm

Poopface wrote:i thought that PT was absurd, i felt like i had no idea what was going on and that nothing i wrote made sense haha. Felt real good about the first 2 essays, ok with the 3rd. I'm just pumped that we got all mbe topics today so we have a better idea of what to expect on thursday and can review a little before hand

The very first thing i did was i literally wrote word for word the arguments in the thing we had to respond to under 3 different headings.

Then i read the cases, and did like 1-2 sentences for the part of each case that addressed each argument, then said
"This case applies to our situation because ..."
"they incorrectly argue that...."
However, they are wrong because under the case, so and so...

I figured at least that way i would do exactly what the frickin task memo said. So they cant dock points for that.

I didnt want to get lost in the library on irrelevant shit, and then "learn the guys arguments" on the fly before responding to it when theres like 45 min left to write and my mind is dead.

Yeah im trying to talk about this in general terms so i dont violate this sites rules...

SpAcEmAn SpLiFF

Postby SpAcEmAn SpLiFF » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:01 pm

i called it restraint on alienability instead of alienation :oops:

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”