July 2015 California Bar Exam

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1691
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby a male human » Thu May 21, 2015 6:44 pm

Bar Slayer wrote:
morescotchplease wrote:
a male human wrote:Anyone (Bar Slayer?) have thoughts about Adaptibar versus BarMax's MBE app? They seem to be the two go-to choices (besides Emanuel's) for MBE prep.

To be clear, I don't need it myself, just wanted to ask for my own research and so people can make an informed choice about their MBE supplements.


I used barmax. I liked it for the MBE. I had it on the ipad mini so I was able to carry it around. Easy to load and do a few questions, read the explanations on the spot, etc. It really allowed me to get a lot of questions in. One thing bad about apps in general is that I like reading questions with my pencil-- helps me focus more on the question, circle things if I need to. Sometimes I found I would miss questions because it's easy to just skim read on a tablet (especially those mortgage questions) as opposed to paper. Ironically, this helped me on the actual exam I believe because I was able to mark the questions.


When I was researching materials, I was debating between Barmax and Adaptibar, and went with Adaptibar because I didn't have an iPad. Reviews for both seem to be pretty good. In my experience, having a review program that is web-app based, and can be run on PCs is key, because I would often do practice questions at work (before others came in, during lunch, or after everyone's gone home.) I think that's pretty important for people who are working and studying at the same time.

I also really liked Adaptibar's feature that creates PDFs of all your wrong answers. Every few days I'd print them out and review carefully the underlying rules. But maybe most web based question banks have this feature.

Thanks morescotchplease and Bar Slayer! Looks like both have their advantages.

Charger
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:15 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby Charger » Sun May 24, 2015 12:40 pm

Can someone explain what the actual exam will be like? For example, do we use Examsoft for the essay/PT portions, as well as the MBE portion? If so, is there only one question per page, then you click next for the next page/question? Or can you see all questions at once so that you can choose the order in which you answer the questions? As to the essay/PT portions, is it just a blank document to write your answer in? Or is there a separate "scratch paper" section that you can type out an outline?

Zaizei
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun May 24, 2015 7:05 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby Zaizei » Sun May 24, 2015 7:28 pm

Hi! I'm a lawyer here in Spain and I have just apply to take the Bar Exam on July (laptop in Century Plaza as first option). I am enrolled in Barbri, which seemed a good option for me. I have done tons of MBE questions and have a score of 75%, but I haven't started with the essays or performance test (I know the IRAC method and have some knowledge of how should I answer the PT).

One thing that really keeps me worrying is the actual day of the exam... How does taking the Bar Exam really looks like? Is it very crowdy? Do I have to be there very early? What kind of things can I carry with me as I enter the exam (purse with laptop, bottle of water, glasses, wallet, keys)?

And as the software issue, as I mentioned before, I have just apply for the laptop option, when will I receive the information to download Softest? Is Softest used for the whole exam (PTs, Essays and MBE)? Or only for PTs and Essays portions of the exam?

Lastly, I read that we have until July 31st 12:00 PM, to upload our answers by internet (since it seems that we are not provided with internet connection during the exam and we have to upload in our houses). Do I have to upload the answers each day or just the last day (Thursday)?

Thank you in advance :roll:

Boozangi
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 3:32 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby Boozangi » Mon May 25, 2015 2:19 am

Zaizei wrote:Hi! I'm a lawyer here in Spain and I have just apply to take the Bar Exam on July (laptop in Century Plaza as first option). I am enrolled in Barbri, which seemed a good option for me. I have done tons of MBE questions and have a score of 75%, but I haven't started with the essays or performance test (I know the IRAC method and have some knowledge of how should I answer the PT).

One thing that really keeps me worrying is the actual day of the exam... How does taking the Bar Exam really looks like? Is it very crowdy? Do I have to be there very early? What kind of things can I carry with me as I enter the exam (purse with laptop, bottle of water, glasses, wallet, keys)?

And as the software issue, as I mentioned before, I have just apply for the laptop option, when will I receive the information to download Softest? Is Softest used for the whole exam (PTs, Essays and MBE)? Or only for PTs and Essays portions of the exam?

Lastly, I read that we have until July 31st 12:00 PM, to upload our answers by internet (since it seems that we are not provided with internet connection during the exam and we have to upload in our houses). Do I have to upload the answers each day or just the last day (Thursday)?

Thank you in advance :roll:



Hey Zaizei!


1. It's crowded, but it isn't THAT bad. You are required to be "sitting" in your seat by a certain time, but they always allow for a few extra minutes for people to get into their seats (especially on the first day of the exam). You have enough room and your seat is reserved, so there is no reason to feel extremely rushed. That said, it's important to get there early enough to set up your laptop and make sure nothing is wrong. In case something *does* go wrong, you'll have time to remedy the situation.

2. You can carry only a clear bag with pencils, pens, some medication, keys, ID, etc. You CANNOT bring in a wallet or a bottle of water. The water ban usually shocks people, but there are water fountains and dispensers right outside of the room doors that you can get water from. Time yourself accordingly, since most people will require a water/bathroom break during the three hour stints! Your admittance ticket or attachments usually list everything you can take in.

3. Softest is used only for the essays and the PTs. The MBE is all written, and laptops are not allowed on that specific day. Softest instructions are usually emailed to you after registration, but if you do not have it, all of the information you asked for is here: https://ei.examsoft.com/GKWeb/login/calbar. Make sure you download all of the required files, AND also run the mock exam one day on your laptop and leave it running for a few minutes. I like to test it out to make sure the application works flawlessly.

4. You can upload the exams whenever you want. Some people return to their hotel rooms and upload their exams every night (like I did). Others wait until the last day and upload them altogether. I'd suggest waiting until the end of the day for each session, and then attempting to upload them once you have an internet connection.


Cheers!

Zaizei
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun May 24, 2015 7:05 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby Zaizei » Mon May 25, 2015 4:10 am

Boozangi wrote:
Zaizei wrote:Hi! I'm a lawyer here in Spain and I have just apply to take the Bar Exam on July (laptop in Century Plaza as first option). I am enrolled in Barbri, which seemed a good option for me. I have done tons of MBE questions and have a score of 75%, but I haven't started with the essays or performance test (I know the IRAC method and have some knowledge of how should I answer the PT).

One thing that really keeps me worrying is the actual day of the exam... How does taking the Bar Exam really looks like? Is it very crowdy? Do I have to be there very early? What kind of things can I carry with me as I enter the exam (purse with laptop, bottle of water, glasses, wallet, keys)?

And as the software issue, as I mentioned before, I have just apply for the laptop option, when will I receive the information to download Softest? Is Softest used for the whole exam (PTs, Essays and MBE)? Or only for PTs and Essays portions of the exam?

Lastly, I read that we have until July 31st 12:00 PM, to upload our answers by internet (since it seems that we are not provided with internet connection during the exam and we have to upload in our houses). Do I have to upload the answers each day or just the last day (Thursday)?

Thank you in advance :roll:



Hey Zaizei!


1. It's crowded, but it isn't THAT bad. You are required to be "sitting" in your seat by a certain time, but they always allow for a few extra minutes for people to get into their seats (especially on the first day of the exam). You have enough room and your seat is reserved, so there is no reason to feel extremely rushed. That said, it's important to get there early enough to set up your laptop and make sure nothing is wrong. In case something *does* go wrong, you'll have time to remedy the situation.

2. You can carry only a clear bag with pencils, pens, some medication, keys, ID, etc. You CANNOT bring in a wallet or a bottle of water. The water ban usually shocks people, but there are water fountains and dispensers right outside of the room doors that you can get water from. Time yourself accordingly, since most people will require a water/bathroom break during the three hour stints! Your admittance ticket or attachments usually list everything you can take in.

3. Softest is used only for the essays and the PTs. The MBE is all written, and laptops are not allowed on that specific day. Softest instructions are usually emailed to you after registration, but if you do not have it, all of the information you asked for is here: https://ei.examsoft.com/GKWeb/login/calbar. Make sure you download all of the required files, AND also run the mock exam one day on your laptop and leave it running for a few minutes. I like to test it out to make sure the application works flawlessly.

4. You can upload the exams whenever you want. Some people return to their hotel rooms and upload their exams every night (like I did). Others wait until the last day and upload them altogether. I'd suggest waiting until the end of the day for each session, and then attempting to upload them once you have an internet connection.


Cheers!


Hi Boozangi, thank you very much! That was really helpful! So can't I carry the plastic bag (with my things) and my laptop inside a purse? Must I hand carry them? :(

Boozangi
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 3:32 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby Boozangi » Mon May 25, 2015 9:25 am


Hi Boozangi, thank you very much! That was really helpful! So can't I carry the plastic bag (with my things) and my laptop inside a purse? Must I hand carry them? :(


You won't be able to carry your purse into the actual test room. You can come to the testing center with anything you'd like, but you must leave all prohibited items outside (there is usually a ton of storage space for people to leave bags, books, etc.).

Zaizei
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun May 24, 2015 7:05 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby Zaizei » Mon May 25, 2015 11:43 am

Boozangi wrote:

Hi Boozangi, thank you very much! That was really helpful! So can't I carry the plastic bag (with my things) and my laptop inside a purse? Must I hand carry them? :(


You won't be able to carry your purse into the actual test room. You can come to the testing center with anything you'd like, but you must leave all prohibited items outside (there is usually a ton of storage space for people to leave bags, books, etc.).


Mmmm I see. But this storage space is secured? Are you talking about lockers? :)

My_name_is_jimmothy
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 2:16 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby My_name_is_jimmothy » Mon May 25, 2015 2:49 pm

Charger wrote:Can someone explain what the actual exam will be like? For example, do we use Examsoft for the essay/PT portions, as well as the MBE portion? If so, is there only one question per page, then you click next for the next page/question? Or can you see all questions at once so that you can choose the order in which you answer the questions? As to the essay/PT portions, is it just a blank document to write your answer in? Or is there a separate "scratch paper" section that you can type out an outline?


Examsoft only for PTs and Essays. One question per page and you use the arrow to enter the answer to the next question. MBE is done on scantron. You can answer in any order you like. You get scratch paper but not on the MBE section.

duskfall
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:16 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby duskfall » Mon May 25, 2015 3:01 pm

Zaizei wrote:
Boozangi wrote:

Hi Boozangi, thank you very much! That was really helpful! So can't I carry the plastic bag (with my things) and my laptop inside a purse? Must I hand carry them? :(


You won't be able to carry your purse into the actual test room. You can come to the testing center with anything you'd like, but you must leave all prohibited items outside (there is usually a ton of storage space for people to leave bags, books, etc.).


Mmmm I see. But this storage space is secured? Are you talking about lockers? :)


No locker. Bring your ID, laptop, and a pair of balls cause' you're going to need it.

Charger
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:15 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby Charger » Mon May 25, 2015 3:39 pm

My_name_is_jimmothy wrote:
Charger wrote:Can someone explain what the actual exam will be like? For example, do we use Examsoft for the essay/PT portions, as well as the MBE portion? If so, is there only one question per page, then you click next for the next page/question? Or can you see all questions at once so that you can choose the order in which you answer the questions? As to the essay/PT portions, is it just a blank document to write your answer in? Or is there a separate "scratch paper" section that you can type out an outline?


Examsoft only for PTs and Essays. One question per page and you use the arrow to enter the answer to the next question. MBE is done on scantron. You can answer in any order you like. You get scratch paper but not on the MBE section.


Thanks!

Zaizei
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun May 24, 2015 7:05 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby Zaizei » Mon May 25, 2015 5:00 pm

duskfall wrote:
Zaizei wrote:
Boozangi wrote:

Hi Boozangi, thank you very much! That was really helpful! So can't I carry the plastic bag (with my things) and my laptop inside a purse? Must I hand carry them? :(


You won't be able to carry your purse into the actual test room. You can come to the testing center with anything you'd like, but you must leave all prohibited items outside (there is usually a ton of storage space for people to leave bags, books, etc.).


Mmmm I see. But this storage space is secured? Are you talking about lockers? :)


No locker. Bring your ID, laptop, and a pair of balls cause' you're going to need it.


Hahahaha thanks for the comment :lol:

Boozangi
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 3:32 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby Boozangi » Mon May 25, 2015 6:26 pm

Zaizei wrote:
Boozangi wrote:

Hi Boozangi, thank you very much! That was really helpful! So can't I carry the plastic bag (with my things) and my laptop inside a purse? Must I hand carry them? :(


You won't be able to carry your purse into the actual test room. You can come to the testing center with anything you'd like, but you must leave all prohibited items outside (there is usually a ton of storage space for people to leave bags, books, etc.).


Mmmm I see. But this storage space is secured? Are you talking about lockers? :)



No lockers. I'm not sure if some testing centers may offer such storage.

For example, the Pasadena Convention Center has a ton of "hallway" walking areas where proctors are stationed during the exam. When you walk into the actual convention center, you can place your bag or purse in the hallways (outside of the testing room), and then proceed to enter the testing room. Most people leave all of their stuff laying around the hallway, especially since most of the proctors technically keep an eye on your stuff.

Will you be staying at a hotel nearby, or commuting to the testing center every day? Depending on which you do, you can plan accordingly and either leave your stuff in the car, or in your hotel room. You really only need the clear ziplock, your laptop and charger, your ID, and pens/pencils.

Zaizei
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun May 24, 2015 7:05 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby Zaizei » Mon May 25, 2015 6:48 pm

Boozangi wrote:
No lockers. I'm not sure if some testing centers may offer such storage.

For example, the Pasadena Convention Center has a ton of "hallway" walking areas where proctors are stationed during the exam. When you walk into the actual convention center, you can place your bag or purse in the hallways (outside of the testing room), and then proceed to enter the testing room. Most people leave all of their stuff laying around the hallway, especially since most of the proctors technically keep an eye on your stuff.

Will you be staying at a hotel nearby, or commuting to the testing center every day? Depending on which you do, you can plan accordingly and either leave your stuff in the car, or in your hotel room. You really only need the clear ziplock, your laptop and charger, your ID, and pens/pencils.


I will be staying at my father's place, since he lives very near the Century Plaza Hotel (he has volunteer to drive me to the testing center and come for me when I'm done). I think I will bring with me a clear ziplock (with passport, pen, pencils, laptop charger, credit card and some money) and my laptop. One huge thing that I haven't asked is if I can bring with me my cellphone (because I don't know the area, and I don't even know where to eat or anything). Any thoughts on that?

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7970
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby Pleasye » Mon May 25, 2015 7:02 pm

Zaizei wrote:
Boozangi wrote:
No lockers. I'm not sure if some testing centers may offer such storage.

For example, the Pasadena Convention Center has a ton of "hallway" walking areas where proctors are stationed during the exam. When you walk into the actual convention center, you can place your bag or purse in the hallways (outside of the testing room), and then proceed to enter the testing room. Most people leave all of their stuff laying around the hallway, especially since most of the proctors technically keep an eye on your stuff.

Will you be staying at a hotel nearby, or commuting to the testing center every day? Depending on which you do, you can plan accordingly and either leave your stuff in the car, or in your hotel room. You really only need the clear ziplock, your laptop and charger, your ID, and pens/pencils.


I will be staying at my father's place, since he lives very near the Century Plaza Hotel (he has volunteer to drive me to the testing center and come for me when I'm done). I think I will bring with me a clear ziplock (with passport, pen, pencils, laptop charger, credit card and some money) and my laptop. One huge thing that I haven't asked is if I can bring with me my cellphone (because I don't know the area, and I don't even know where to eat or anything). Any thoughts on that?


http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/Portals ... CIES_R.pdf

Zaizei
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun May 24, 2015 7:05 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby Zaizei » Tue May 26, 2015 3:05 pm

Pleasye wrote:
Zaizei wrote:
Boozangi wrote:
No lockers. I'm not sure if some testing centers may offer such storage.

For example, the Pasadena Convention Center has a ton of "hallway" walking areas where proctors are stationed during the exam. When you walk into the actual convention center, you can place your bag or purse in the hallways (outside of the testing room), and then proceed to enter the testing room. Most people leave all of their stuff laying around the hallway, especially since most of the proctors technically keep an eye on your stuff.

Will you be staying at a hotel nearby, or commuting to the testing center every day? Depending on which you do, you can plan accordingly and either leave your stuff in the car, or in your hotel room. You really only need the clear ziplock, your laptop and charger, your ID, and pens/pencils.


I will be staying at my father's place, since he lives very near the Century Plaza Hotel (he has volunteer to drive me to the testing center and come for me when I'm done). I think I will bring with me a clear ziplock (with passport, pen, pencils, laptop charger, credit card and some money) and my laptop. One huge thing that I haven't asked is if I can bring with me my cellphone (because I don't know the area, and I don't even know where to eat or anything). Any thoughts on that?


http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/Portals ... CIES_R.pdf


Thanks!

LawIsPrettyCool
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:47 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby LawIsPrettyCool » Tue May 26, 2015 4:09 pm

Anybody know what a 1515 would be as a raw score?

Also, anyone wanna share an AirBNB apartment that is close to century plaza?

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1691
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby a male human » Tue May 26, 2015 5:12 pm

LawIsPrettyCool wrote:Anybody know what a 1515 would be as a raw score?

Also, anyone wanna share an AirBNB apartment that is close to century plaza?

For written or MBE? For written, you can plug it in as the scaled score in the formula here: http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/Portals ... 201502.pdf

Comes out to be about 644, which makes me think you're talking about the MBE. Gosh!

I'm not sure where the NCBE releases its conversion. A quick search revealed this table (it downloads a PDF instead of loading it in your browser, hence the longass Google link): https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... 0622,d.eXY

I don't know which year this is from. We can just estimate that you got a raw score of 137 (151.6). 151.6 x 10 (to get your scaled MBE score in CA) is about 1515.

grandmawild2
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat May 16, 2015 6:44 am

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby grandmawild2 » Tue May 26, 2015 6:33 pm

Can anyone recommend a CA bar tutor? Thank you

LawIsPrettyCool
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:47 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby LawIsPrettyCool » Tue May 26, 2015 8:00 pm

a male human wrote:
LawIsPrettyCool wrote:Anybody know what a 1515 would be as a raw score?

Also, anyone wanna share an AirBNB apartment that is close to century plaza?

For written or MBE? For written, you can plug it in as the scaled score in the formula here: http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/Portals ... 201502.pdf

Comes out to be about 644, which makes me think you're talking about the MBE. Gosh!

I'm not sure where the NCBE releases its conversion. A quick search revealed this table (it downloads a PDF instead of loading it in your browser, hence the longass Google link): https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... 0622,d.eXY

I don't know which year this is from. We can just estimate that you got a raw score of 137 (151.6). 151.6 x 10 (to get your scaled MBE score in CA) is about 1515.


Thanks, I need to improve on that.

cndounda1985
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:31 am

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby cndounda1985 » Tue May 26, 2015 8:56 pm

Anyone have a Whitney Roberts Bar Code Cheat Sheet they want to sell?

LawIsPrettyCool
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:47 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby LawIsPrettyCool » Tue May 26, 2015 9:07 pm

Has anyone taken CalWeasel's PT course? I'd like to discuss it with you if possible.

My_name_is_jimmothy
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 2:16 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby My_name_is_jimmothy » Wed May 27, 2015 12:27 am

cndounda1985 wrote:Anyone have a Whitney Roberts Bar Code Cheat Sheet they want to sell?



I have a Third Edition version I'd like to sell. I tried to PM you but I'm not sure if it actually reached you.

Zaizei
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun May 24, 2015 7:05 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby Zaizei » Wed May 27, 2015 2:09 pm

Hi again! My Admission Status Screen has been actualized and it says the following:

CALIFORNIA BAR EXAMINATION
Admission requirement: Pass the California Bar Examination
Applicant status:Requirement not satisfied
Last exam applied for:July 2015
Application status:Application filed, 5/27/2015
Eligibility status:Eligible for 3-day General Bar Examination
Assigned test center:CENTURY PLAZA HOTEL-LAPTOP
Admittance ticket:Examination Admittance Ticket not available to print

It seems I got my first choice! Can someone tell me more about this test center? Is it Ok? Have you got some experience/thoughts to share about this center?

BTW isn't it weird that my examination admittance ticket is not yet available to print? Have you guys got yours?

TIA.

underthirty
Posts: 135
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:27 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby underthirty » Wed May 27, 2015 2:57 pm

.
Last edited by underthirty on Sat May 30, 2015 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zaizei
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun May 24, 2015 7:05 pm

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Postby Zaizei » Wed May 27, 2015 4:22 pm

underthirty wrote:
Zaizei wrote:BTW isn't it weird that my examination admittance ticket is not yet available to print? Have you guys got yours?

I registered about a month before you and my admission ticket is still "not available to print." It's normal. Pretty much no one will be able to print their admission ticket before it's eight weeks until the exam (and some may have to wait even longer).


Oh Ok! Thank you a lot! I was very worried. Hopefully next week we'll be able to do it :)




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests