July 2015 California Bar Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
a male human

Gold

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Post by a male human » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:46 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:
a male human wrote:
calbartaker2015 wrote:How do you remember all of this? I flat out cannot state every element for every essay question and don't know how I will be able to in two weeks time.
Some ideas:
- Keep writing them out (i.e., test your recall rather than familiarity)
- Prioritize memorizing ones that show up more by doing and reviewing a lot of essays or outlines thereof
- Understand and paraphrase the concept rather than rote memorize

See also http://barexamtoolbox.com/memorization-simple-1-2-3/
I go to sleep and I start to automatically repeat elements in my head...Am I dying? Pretty sure this is what death feels like...
This is merely purgatory, my friend.

calbartaker2015

New

Post by calbartaker2015 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:35 pm

a male human wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:
a male human wrote:
calbartaker2015 wrote:How do you remember all of this? I flat out cannot state every element for every essay question and don't know how I will be able to in two weeks time.
Some ideas:
- Prioritize memorizing ones that show up more by doing and reviewing a lot of essays or outlines thereof

I go to sleep and I start to automatically repeat elements in my head...Am I dying? Pretty sure this is what death feels like...

Thanks, it just feels so foreign. LSAT required no memorization. Law school was all open book. I had an outline safety blanket every step of the way. Now I have to have a memory not just logic and it's terrifying to use for the first time in a long time on such a serious test. (Doesn't help that every time I think about my offer letter reading "contingent on passing the bar" I want to vomit.)

robinhoodOO

Silver

Post by robinhoodOO » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:53 pm

calbartaker2015 wrote:
a male human wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:
a male human wrote:
Some ideas:

Thanks, it just feels so foreign. LSAT required no memorization. Law school was all open book. I had an outline safety blanket every step of the way. Now I have to have a memory not just logic and it's terrifying to use for the first time in a long time on such a serious test. (Doesn't help that every time I think about my offer letter reading "contingent on passing the bar" I want to vomit.)
If it makes you feel any better, my wife threatened to divorce me if I fail...Can't be certain if she was kidding, but considering that she'd be entitled to substantial community property reimbursement for my education, I'd better not fuck it up haha

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:05 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:
calbartaker2015 wrote:
a male human wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:
a male human wrote:
Some ideas:

If it makes you feel any better, my wife threatened to divorce me if I fail...Can't be certain if she was kidding, but considering that she'd be entitled to substantial community property reimbursement for my education, I'd better not fuck it up haha
Threat? Sounds like you'd be dodging a bullet if she divorced you for failing the goddamn CA bar, which 50%+ did last July.

robinhoodOO

Silver

Post by robinhoodOO » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:23 pm

a male human wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:
calbartaker2015 wrote:
a male human wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:
a male human wrote:
Some ideas:

Threat? Sounds like you'd be dodging a bullet if she divorced you for failing the goddamn CA bar, which 50%+ did last July.
Damned if I do, damned if I don't

P.S. I was being slightly facetious. She certainly said that, but I know she was kidding. Kind of like: No pressure, but: Go get 'em and all that...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

redblueyellow

Bronze

Post by redblueyellow » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:11 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:P.S. I was being slightly facetious. She certainly said that, but I know she was kidding. Kind of like: No pressure, but: Go get 'em and all that...
ALL THE PRESSURE.

Calicakes

Bronze

Post by Calicakes » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:22 pm

calbartaker2015 wrote:
a male human wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:
a male human wrote:
Some ideas:

Woah, what Law school did you attend? My LAW School exams were definitely NOT open book. We had to memorize. I think they were trying to prepare us for the bar exam.

robinhoodOO

Silver

Post by robinhoodOO » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:36 pm

Calicakes wrote:
calbartaker2015 wrote:
a male human wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:
a male human wrote:
Some ideas:

Woah, what Law school did you attend? My LAW School exams were definitely NOT open book. We had to memorize. I think they were trying to prepare us for the bar exam.
Ya, not open book here, either. That said: Law school was cake compared to studying for the CBX...

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:03 pm

WTF schools did Y'ALL go to? All of our exams were open book too.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:06 pm

I went to UC Hastings, and most were open book.

calbartaker2015

New

Post by calbartaker2015 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:58 pm

Ya, not open book here, either. That said: Law school was cake compared to studying for the CBX...
Top 20 law school. 1 closed book exam. Hardly any multiple choice. I can genuinely say I feel like this test has no relation to what I have been doing for the past 3 years. Sure most of the subjects I have taken but the skills tested were entirely different.

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:02 pm

Lol this is where going to a shiTTTY school and being forced to do closed book exams for every bar subject pays off.

(still failing the essays)

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:06 pm

I wish my finals were closed book. Then maybe I wouldn't have brought in giant outlines full of shit.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

robinhoodOO

Silver

Post by robinhoodOO » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:30 pm

calbartaker2015 wrote:
Top 20 law school. 1 closed book exam. Hardly any multiple choice. I can genuinely say I feel like this test has no relation to what I have been doing for the past 3 years. Sure most of the subjects I have taken but the skills tested were entirely different.
Boalt/Berkeley? My boss went there and said it's notoriously easy and lots of open book exams...

robinhoodOO

Silver

Post by robinhoodOO » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:31 pm

Pleasye wrote:Lol this is where going to a shiTTTY school and being forced to do closed book exams for every bar subject pays off.

HEAR, HEAR!

Calicakes

Bronze

Post by Calicakes » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:29 pm

Pleasye wrote:Lol this is where going to a shiTTTY school and being forced to do closed book exams for every bar subject pays off.

AKA a 3rd tier school who flunks out 30% of the first year class( and keeps their 40k).

Southwestern University School of Law.

acronyx

New

Post by acronyx » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:30 pm

calbartaker2015 wrote:
T14. PR was my only closed book exam.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

robinhoodOO

Silver

Post by robinhoodOO » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:34 pm

acronyx wrote:
calbartaker2015 wrote:
Curious, Berkeley/Boalt? I just want to know if its reputation precedes it...haha

acronyx

New

Post by acronyx » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:38 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:
acronyx wrote:
calbartaker2015 wrote:
Curious, Berkeley/Boalt? I just want to know if its reputation precedes it...haha
Nope, but am missing the comfort of having my own outlines, and books, and the internet, and the knowledge that basically nobody fails exams.

robinhoodOO

Silver

Post by robinhoodOO » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:42 pm

acronyx wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:
acronyx wrote:
calbartaker2015 wrote:
Nope, but am missing the comfort of having my own outlines, and books, and the internet, and the knowledge that basically nobody fails exams.
haha...Indeed...This fucking exam is balls (or, prepping for it is).

calbartaker2015

New

Post by calbartaker2015 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:06 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:
acronyx wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:
acronyx wrote:
calbartaker2015 wrote:
haha...Indeed...This fucking exam is balls (or, prepping for it is).
Ya also not Berk.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:33 am

Not at Berkeley either, but also at a T14 where the only class I ever took closed book was evidence. There were a handful of classes that were closed book but it was VERY RARE and up to the professor.

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:26 pm

Only closed book exam I had at Berkeley was Evidence.

robinhoodOO

Silver

Post by robinhoodOO » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:12 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:Only closed book exam I had at Berkeley was Evidence.
Which seems weird, because you'd think Evidence is a more difficult subject matter than most...

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:47 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:Only closed book exam I had at Berkeley was Evidence.
Which seems weird, because you'd think Evidence is a more difficult subject matter than most...
I always assumed it was because evidence is one of the few subjects where knowing it cold is likely to be very useful in practice (ie, knowing objections and shit if you want to be a litigator).

Buuuuut fuck if I really know. Professors just do whatever the hell they want, haha

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”