July 2015 California Bar Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Notorious RBG

New

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Post by Notorious RBG » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:18 pm

Random philosophical thought:

You can't be a CA bar grader unless you pass on the first or second try. On the surface this seems to go to competence, as in, you must have lower ability to grade because it took you more than twice to pass yourself. Yet. They still let you be licensed, even if it takes you 10 times. Which seems to mean that no matter how many times you take it, if you pass, you are minimally competent. And giving a license to practice law seems to be a bigger deal than being a grader. Yet for a grader there's an arbitrarily higher standard of two times only. Which made me think, maybe that standard is not about competence, maybe it's because someone who's taken the thing three or ten or thirty times is going to be emotionally impacted by that experience and take it out on examinees by either being too lenient or too anal, to get back at the world.

I am sick and bored.

ss90

New

Post by ss90 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:18 pm

waitingtoexhale wrote:First time poster. Right after the bar I felt like I passed....time went on and by November I was sure I failed. Well I passed! Thank you robinhoodOO for the MBE spreadsheet! I was freaking out because I messed up my scantron and had to rebubble 20 answers. Plus the spreadsheet was spot on (I think). I scored a 140 on barbri's midterm and above a 150 on the real MBE.

For those who were not as lucky this is what I did: 12 hours of studying 6 days a week and 6 hours on Sunday, 100% of barbri, critical pass flashcards and the bar cheat code. I also reviewed every essay since 2001.

Hey! Just read your comment. I was wondering if you still had those spreadsheets that robinhoodOO gave you? Please let me know! Thank you!

robinhoodOO

Silver

Post by robinhoodOO » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:35 pm

ss90 wrote:
waitingtoexhale wrote:First time poster. Right after the bar I felt like I passed....time went on and by November I was sure I failed. Well I passed! Thank you robinhoodOO for the MBE spreadsheet! I was freaking out because I messed up my scantron and had to rebubble 20 answers. Plus the spreadsheet was spot on (I think). I scored a 140 on barbri's midterm and above a 150 on the real MBE.

For those who were not as lucky this is what I did: 12 hours of studying 6 days a week and 6 hours on Sunday, 100% of barbri, critical pass flashcards and the bar cheat code. I also reviewed every essay since 2001.

Hey! Just read your comment. I was wondering if you still had those spreadsheets that robinhoodOO gave you? Please let me know! Thank you!
This probably isn't helpful for studying. It was a breakdown of scores compared to practice scores, etc. Nevertheless, here you go :)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

legalize-it

New

Post by legalize-it » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:53 pm

BrokenMouse wrote:
LSHopeful91 wrote:I scored a 1439. A FUCKING 1439. The first reader failed me by a couple of points, the second reader passed me by a couple of points, but not enough that the average of the two scores is at 1440. What a crock of shit.
You must do this: Pay $25 dollars and make the CA Bar devils regrade your MBE. Check the bar website there is a link to a form. Sometimes there is a point or two you can squeeze out because the machine doesn't scan properly. People have passed this way and certainly being 1 point away, even 1-2 MBE question is a big deal. I already failed with 15+ over so I have no hope but YOU DO!!!

Please do this.[/quote

Wow! How far back can this be done to regrade exams? My friend took it in 2000 and missed by .36 She had a 1411.6359 after a second read, but needed 1412 to pass. That's less than .50% I wonder if they would allow it or has too much time passed. That would be interesting to know, and even better to know if she can pass because of this. If you can share how to go about in the process, I will cut and past and email this. Although I will keep quite unless there is an option before raising her her hopes.

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:55 pm

Notorious RBG wrote:Random philosophical thought:

You can't be a CA bar grader unless you pass on the first or second try. On the surface this seems to go to competence, as in, you must have lower ability to grade because it took you more than twice to pass yourself. Yet. They still let you be licensed, even if it takes you 10 times. Which seems to mean that no matter how many times you take it, if you pass, you are minimally competent. And giving a license to practice law seems to be a bigger deal than being a grader. Yet for a grader there's an arbitrarily higher standard of two times only. Which made me think, maybe that standard is not about competence, maybe it's because someone who's taken the thing three or ten or thirty times is going to be emotionally impacted by that experience and take it out on examinees by either being too lenient or too anal, to get back at the world.

I am sick and bored.

Yeah, I think it could go either way depending on the personality of the grader. If they let me be a grader, I could see my self reading the essays with a "sympathetic slant". But it's reasonable for the bar to fear I might be too anal with the mindset that most essays deserve to fail since I failed numerous times. (I personally wouldn't have that mindset, but it's reasonable for them to fear it).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

catechumen

New

Post by catechumen » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:46 pm

My request for feedback on my scores seems to have gotten buried. Would love to know your guys thoughts on what I need to fix. Thanks.

Essay #1-55
Essay #2-50
Essay #3-70
Essay #4-50
Essay #5-45
Essay #6-55

PT #1- 50
PT#2- 60

written:1225.62

MBE- 1391

robinhoodOO

Silver

Post by robinhoodOO » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:22 pm

catechumen wrote:My request for feedback on my scores seems to have gotten buried. Would love to know your guys thoughts on what I need to fix. Thanks.

Essay #1-55
Essay #2-50
Essay #3-70
Essay #4-50
Essay #5-45
Essay #6-55

PT #1- 50
PT#2- 60

written:1225.62

MBE- 1391
The obvious answer is to just say that your essays and PT's need work. Your average scores are 54 for essays and 55 for PT's. Passing requires at least a 61-62 average. The MBE score is on par with the national average, so that's not necessarily the problem.

That said, without seeing your actual essays and PT's, it's very difficult to diagnose what went wrong. If you're confident in your ability to self-diagnose, I'd start by reviewing models and re-reading your answers when you get them, etc. Otherwise, you might want to consider having someone else review your answers and provide feedback.

hotsummer

New

Post by hotsummer » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:54 am

Anyone is selling Bar Code Cheat Sheets?

Zaizei

Bronze

Post by Zaizei » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:26 pm

Has someone heard about personalbarprep.com? I think I'm going to prep this time with a tutor. If anyone knows of a good tutor, please message me with his/her name, phone number and email. Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BrokenMouse

Silver

Post by BrokenMouse » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:55 pm

Last edited by BrokenMouse on Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Actus Reus

Bronze

Post by Actus Reus » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:02 pm

BrokenMouse wrote:Can someone share their experience using baressays or barissues? It seems like bar issues has everything plus search via issues.
Bar essays is way better. You really can see the difference between a 60 essay and an 80. Just reviewing the A and B answers provided by the bar isn't enough.

EZ as AsDf

New

Post by EZ as AsDf » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:56 pm

Has anyone come across sample essay answers?

lawbosscalif

New

Post by lawbosscalif » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:25 am

I have brand new, never used, complete set, 2015 Kaplan California Bar Prep books. PM me if interested. I passed with Kaplan in 2014 and know of many people who were successful with Kaplan on the first try. FWIW.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BrokenMouse

Silver

Post by BrokenMouse » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:03 pm

Last edited by BrokenMouse on Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:43 pm

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:56 am

EZ as AsDf wrote:Has anyone come across sample essay answers?
From BarEssays?

storge

New

Post by storge » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:25 pm

If anyone is looking for a Critical Pass Flashcard discount, use link below to get $10 off. I searched everywhere for a coupon/discount code and couldn't find one anywhere so I figured I'd share.

I got this as a referral so you have to use the link to get the discount: http://criticalpass.refr.cc/NQBJZZ7
Wish I had access to someone else's referral link before I paid full price, but didn't have any luck finding any current ones :( . Sharing the love. Anyone interested, feel free to utilize.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Neko1

New

Post by Neko1 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:20 pm

I have a full set of critical pass flashcards, Strategies & Tactics 5th edition (unused), and Essay Writing for the California Bar Exam book (light highlighting) I am looking to get rid of if anyone is interested--pm me.

BrokenMouse

Silver

Post by BrokenMouse » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:01 am

Last edited by BrokenMouse on Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EZ as AsDf

New

Post by EZ as AsDf » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:27 pm

a male human wrote:
From BarEssays?
Sample essays for July 2015. Does Bar Essays already have their own model answer up?

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:40 pm

EZ as AsDf wrote:
a male human wrote:
From BarEssays?
Sample essays for July 2015. Does Bar Essays already have their own model answer up?
Oh I'm not sure about baressays

Model answers don't seem to be up on the bar site http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/Examina ... Exams.aspx

Other places might have sample answers, but I don't know which ones specifically

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

EyeTwitchAllSummer

New

Post by EyeTwitchAllSummer » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:14 pm

Zaizei wrote:Has someone heard about personalbarprep.com? I think I'm going to prep this time with a tutor. If anyone knows of a good tutor, please message me with his/her name, phone number and email. Thanks!
I was referred to (and signed up for) Patrick Lin of www.barexam101.com. One of my classmates hired Lin as a tutor and says that he could not have passed the CA bar exam the 2nd time without Patrick Lin.

I signed up for the writing intensive tutoring for essays and PTs.

Good luck this time around!

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:23 pm

EyeTwitchAllSummer wrote:
Zaizei wrote:Has someone heard about personalbarprep.com? I think I'm going to prep this time with a tutor. If anyone knows of a good tutor, please message me with his/her name, phone number and email. Thanks!
I was referred to (and signed up for) Patrick Lin of http://www.barexam101.com. One of my classmates hired Lin as a tutor and says that he could not have passed the CA bar exam the 2nd time without Patrick Lin.

I signed up for the writing intensive tutoring for essays and PTs.

Good luck this time around!
How much was he?

EZ as AsDf

New

Post by EZ as AsDf » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:14 am

Does anyone have a discount code for Baressays? My schools code expired. Previously it allowed free access to Baressays. Message me if you have the scoop.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:32 am

EZ as AsDf wrote:Does anyone have a discount code for Baressays? My schools code expired. Previously it allowed free access to Baressays. Message me if you have the scoop.
PM'd

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”