July 2015 California Bar Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
a male human

Gold

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Post by a male human » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:04 pm

needaday wrote:glad the wknd is here. feels like a brief fast forward through the wait.
What are you doing during the rest of the week? (Same Q to everyone else)

dotbun

New

Post by dotbun » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:24 pm

a male human wrote:
needaday wrote:glad the wknd is here. feels like a brief fast forward through the wait.
I'm buying a car. Thought it would be a good distraction! Wish me luck negotiating...

gaagoots

Bronze

Post by gaagoots » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:22 pm

a male human wrote:

Celebrating Canadian Thanksgiving!! And watching Hockey!

MarcZero

Bronze

Post by MarcZero » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:39 pm

a male human wrote:
Going to try and start working off the weight I gained while I studied for the bar.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:55 pm

MarcZero wrote:
a male human wrote:
Going to try and start working off the weight I gained while I studied for the bar.
What were you doing the past two months?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MarcZero

Bronze

Post by MarcZero » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:57 pm

a male human wrote:
MarcZero wrote:
a male human wrote:
While moving across country to start my new job the week after the bar, my Uhaul caught fire and I lost everything. Been dealing with the insurance companies ever since (and still am). On the bright side, it certainly kept my mind off the bar results for a solid 2 months.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:02 pm

MarcZero wrote:
a male human wrote:
MarcZero wrote:
a male human wrote:
While moving across country to start my new job the week after the bar, my Uhaul caught fire and I lost everything. Been dealing with the insurance companies ever since (and still am). On the bright side, it certainly kept my mind off the bar results for a solid 2 months.
Yikes! Sorry to hear that. I'm guessing you didn't get insurance with U-Haul? Is your credit card company (if you used a credit card) helping you with this as well?

MarcZero

Bronze

Post by MarcZero » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:51 am

a male human wrote:
MarcZero wrote:
a male human wrote:
MarcZero wrote:
a male human wrote:
Yikes! Sorry to hear that. I'm guessing you didn't get insurance with U-Haul? Is your credit card company (if you used a credit card) helping you with this as well?
I did get insurance through Uhaul. You'd think they would know how to handle this type of loss but the answer is actually no. No the hell they do not. All of their insurance contract wordings revolve around people texting and hitting cars and such. There is nothing about their busted-ass truck catching fire and ruining an entire truck full of stuff. Spent a solid week sorting through what was burned and what was possibly salvageable. (The back of the truck turned into a smoke house until the fire was put out so every non-burned item was covered in soot and reeked of smoke.) We still don't have our stuff back as the cleaners that were hired haven't been paid yet and Uhaul is still sorting through the claim to give us an offer. I'm dealing with 7 different companies right now (sub-contractor of a sub-contractor, etc.). Again, quite maddening but a good distraction.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:59 am

MarcZero wrote:
a male human wrote:
MarcZero wrote:
a male human wrote:
MarcZero wrote:
a male human wrote:
I did get insurance through Uhaul. You'd think they would know how to handle this type of loss but the answer is actually no. No the hell they do not. All of their insurance contract wordings revolve around people texting and hitting cars and such. There is nothing about their busted-ass truck catching fire and ruining an entire truck full of stuff. Spent a solid week sorting through what was burned and what was possibly salvageable. (The back of the truck turned into a smoke house until the fire was put out so every non-burned item was covered in soot and reeked of smoke.) We still don't have our stuff back as the cleaners that were hired haven't been paid yet and Uhaul is still sorting through the claim to give us an offer. I'm dealing with 7 different companies right now (sub-contractor of a sub-contractor, etc.). Again, quite maddening but a good distraction.
Do you know what caused the fire in the first place?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MarcZero

Bronze

Post by MarcZero » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:05 am

a male human wrote:Do you know what caused the fire in the first place?
I was driving a 26 footer. The two back tires are doubled so there are two tires next to each other on each side. Fire investigator said that it was most likely ball bearings breaking down in one of the tires which caused it to stop turning, but the other tire was rubbing against it until it was hot enough to burst and catch fire. I pulled over when I heard the bang and noticed the flame coming from the inside tire. Unfortunately, I was out in the desert outside Vegas when it happened so it took over a half hour for a truck with water to show up so that was enough time for the side of the truck to go up. I had 2 dogs and 3 cats with me in the truck cabin, but fortunately I was towing my wife's car and was able to get the animals out and put into her car and pull it away from the fire before it got crazy. I was only a few miles away from the California border too (after driving all the way from Ohio) so I almost made it but not quite.

BuenAbogado

Bronze

Post by BuenAbogado » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:20 pm

MarcZero wrote:
I was driving a 26 footer. The two back tires are doubled so there are two tires next to each other on each side. Fire investigator said that it was most likely ball bearings breaking down in one of the tires which caused it to stop turning, but the other tire was rubbing against it until it was hot enough to burst and catch fire. I pulled over when I heard the bang and noticed the flame coming from the inside tire. Unfortunately, I was out in the desert outside Vegas when it happened so it took over a half hour for a truck with water to show up so that was enough time for the side of the truck to go up. I had 2 dogs and 3 cats with me in the truck cabin, but fortunately I was towing my wife's car and was able to get the animals out and put into her car and pull it away from the fire before it got crazy. I was only a few miles away from the California border too (after driving all the way from Ohio) so I almost made it but not quite.

Is this a torts/contracts/civil procedure crossover?

Ajren Robben

New

Post by Ajren Robben » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:11 pm

BuenAbogado wrote:
MarcZero wrote:

Is this a torts/contracts/civil procedure crossover?
Seriously, that is a sick law school question. The dogs didn't bite anyone, did they?

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:16 pm

MarcZero wrote:
Wow that's crazy. I'm glad you and the animals are okay! Sorry about your stuff and the insurance hassles though :(

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MarcZero

Bronze

Post by MarcZero » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:38 pm

Thanks everyone. As my wife likes to say, I was able to turn this from a potential tragedy into just a major inconvenience. It could have been much worse and the major irreplaceables seemed to have been salvageable.

And yes, it did feel like a torts question. Another kicker I had was being called for jury duty the Monday after the bar. Luckily the defendant settled at the last minute, and I didn't have to beg the court to just let me get away from the legal system for a few days. It was a wild week for sure.

Notorious RBG

New

Post by Notorious RBG » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:07 pm

You killed the thread Marc, by actually bringing up a real life problem so that my whining about a test appears shallow. HDY.

Really though I'm sorry that happened to you. My family has been through several house fires and that is a cluster eff I wouldn't wish on anyone.

MarcZero

Bronze

Post by MarcZero » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:32 pm

Notorious RBG wrote:You killed the thread Marc, by actually bringing up a real life problem so that my whining about a test appears shallow. HDY.

Really though I'm sorry that happened to you. My family has been through several house fires and that is a cluster eff I wouldn't wish on anyone.
I was just hopeful people had meaningful things going on with their lives over the weekend. This thread can't die. The dread surrounding Nov. 20th is too much to keep people away. 40 days is a long time to keep quiet to yourself.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:08 pm

Rest assured. I will be sipping Chardonnay as Barmageddon 2015 unfolds before my eyes.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Notorious RBG

New

Post by Notorious RBG » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:29 pm

a male human- I feel like you may be sick and disturbed that you subject yourself to this insanity even though the bar is behind you. I already have my bar bonfire planned in exquisite detail and I don't think I'll ever want to discuss this PTSD-inducing test again in my life. :wink:

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:42 pm

I feel like I'm sick and disturbed for other reasons.

Real talk though, there's not enough transparent, real, actionable advice on the bar exam BECAUSE most people bounce after the bar is behind them. It's such a waste to me not to share the methods and systems that changed my approach the second time. I (and some other repeaters I see from time to time) am here to fill that gap but also have fun at the same time during this painful process.

MarcZero

Bronze

Post by MarcZero » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:53 pm

a male human wrote:I feel like I'm sick and disturbed for other reasons.

Real talk though, there's not enough transparent, real, actionable advice on the bar exam BECAUSE most people bounce after the bar is behind them. It's such a waste to me not to share the methods and systems that changed my approach the second time. I (and some other repeaters I see from time to time) am here to fill that gap but also have fun at the same time during this painful process.
I can vouch for your emails and products helping me when I was locked away studying around family who had no idea what I was going through.

I agree about the need for visibility on the issue of the bar. It reminds me of an old physics professor I had. He was a downright horrible teacher. The kind who was using a textbook from the '70s, had checked out mentally, and didn't actually teach you anything but still gave everyone super difficult tests. Everyone freaked out and stressed over their grades because the average was a 40%, but he never mentioned how he curved. So during the semester many students always said they were going to rant and rave to get this guy canned, but when he handed out grades, he never gave anything lower than a C. So when you had a 40% test average and thought you were going to likely fail, getting a C was like manna from heaven so you just happily took that grade and gave up your quest to get the guy sacked because that whole experience was behind you. Then when other people complained later on, you would just say "It's not that bad. You'll be alright" as if that excused the professor from inflicting that level of stress on students. What did you care anymore? It was behind you!

BuenAbogado

Bronze

Post by BuenAbogado » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:56 pm

MarcZero wrote:
a male human wrote:I feel like I'm sick and disturbed for other reasons.

I can vouch for your emails and products helping me when I was locked away studying around family who had no idea what I was going through.

I agree about the need for visibility on the issue of the bar. It reminds me of an old physics professor I had. He was a downright horrible teacher. The kind who was using a textbook from the '70s, had checked out mentally, and didn't actually teach you anything but still gave everyone super difficult tests. Everyone freaked out and stressed over their grades because the average was a 40%, but he never mentioned how he curved. So during the semester many students always said they were going to rant and rave to get this guy canned, but when he handed out grades, he never gave anything lower than a C. So when you had a 40% test average and thought you were going to likely fail, getting a C was like manna from heaven so you just happily took that grade and gave up your quest to get the guy sacked because that whole experience was behind you. Then when other people complained later on, you would just say "It's not that bad. You'll be alright" as if that excused the professor from inflicting that level of stress on students. What did you care anymore? It was behind you!
F that guy

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:33 am

Thanks MarcZero, hearing that I'm actually making an impact on real people helps me keep going.

Abogado, thought I finally got my first hate mail but I can't help but think you were referring to that physics professor :lol:

BuenAbogado

Bronze

Post by BuenAbogado » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:57 am

a male human wrote:Thanks MarcZero, hearing that I'm actually making an impact on real people helps me keep going.

Abogado, thought I finally got my first hate mail but I can't help but think you were referring to that physics professor :lol:
Nah, I don't think you will ever get hate mail here with the amount of help you put in. You will be called a weirdo, no life, masochist, and other such names, but people will not be saying it because they hate you, they will be saying it because there is some logic behind their sentiment.

I was talking about that professor. I can't think of a worse professor to have, other than maybe Mr. White.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:17 am

BuenAbogado wrote:
a male human wrote:Thanks MarcZero, hearing that I'm actually making an impact on real people helps me keep going.

Nah, I don't think you will ever get hate mail here with the amount of help you put in. You will be called a weirdo, no life, masochist, and other such names, but people will not be saying it because they hate you, they will be saying it because there is some logic behind their sentiment.

I was talking about that professor. I can't think of a worse professor to have, other than maybe Mr. White.
Thanks... I guess? :lol:

I had a Professor White for linear algebra at UCLA. His pre-lecture "warmup" problems were of similar difficulty as the questions from my friend's final exam, same class, different professor. He'd make fun of me for not doing my research and always going with the hardest profs, classes, major, etc. Maybe I am a masochist...!

needaday

New

Post by needaday » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:13 pm

BuenAbogado wrote:
a male human wrote:You will be called a weirdo, no life, masochist, and other such names, but people will not be saying it because they hate you, they will be saying it because there is some logic behind their sentiment.
???

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”