July 2015 California Bar Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
kjartan

Gold

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Post by kjartan » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:27 pm

mike.alexander23 wrote:
kjartan wrote:Why do this to yourself?
I wish I had that kind of self-reflection before enrolling in law school. Oops. Too late
Just wait, you'll have your answer soon enough. I'm trying to stay zen through all this.

petsoundspop

New

Post by petsoundspop » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:49 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:
petsoundspop wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:Bar Secrects: CA Essay Debriefing: http://www.barsecrets.com/essaydebriefs

Against my better judgment, I'm probably going to watch this later today. Fuck.
Thank you for the link. I've been waiting for this.

Watched this against my better judgment and am actually glad I did. Feeling slightly more hopeful now. However, the last two essays were ridiculous though so I am still on the edge of my seat. :cry:
The guy in the video even said how rough Q5 was...I feel worse about it now. What a shitty bar essay, knowing there was no way you could finish it in an hour. Maybe that's a good thing?!

I feel better about Q2, though, as I wasn't aware of the case and had been freaking out about it. But it doesn't sound like it matters much (hopefully), so long as you properly discussed the facts in relation to REP. I also feel better about Q1 and Q4, as it seems now I nailed those 2 essays.

Time will tell for all of us. 22 days!!!!!!
Agreed. The fact that Q5 was singled out by them probably bodes well for us because I'm sure they've seen it all. It was an objectively unfair question. I was so worried about Crim Pro because I felt I must have been missing something the whole time I wrote that answer but I guess not.

As far as Q6 can any fellow THEMIS people remember seeing much about Takings during the course? I honestly don't remember anything and the little I remembered I regurgitated from a separate model answer. And honest to god I had never heard of "spot zoning" until seeing that video. Probably whiffed on that one.

mike.alexander23

Bronze

Post by mike.alexander23 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:56 pm

petsoundspop wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:
petsoundspop wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:Bar Secrects: CA Essay Debriefing: http://www.barsecrets.com/essaydebriefs

Against my better judgment, I'm probably going to watch this later today. Fuck.
Thank you for the link. I've been waiting for this.

Watched this against my better judgment and am actually glad I did. Feeling slightly more hopeful now. However, the last two essays were ridiculous though so I am still on the edge of my seat. :cry:
The guy in the video even said how rough Q5 was...I feel worse about it now. What a shitty bar essay, knowing there was no way you could finish it in an hour. Maybe that's a good thing?!

I feel better about Q2, though, as I wasn't aware of the case and had been freaking out about it. But it doesn't sound like it matters much (hopefully), so long as you properly discussed the facts in relation to REP. I also feel better about Q1 and Q4, as it seems now I nailed those 2 essays.

Time will tell for all of us. 22 days!!!!!!
Agreed. The fact that Q5 was singled out by them probably bodes well for us because I'm sure they've seen it all. It was an objectively unfair question. I was so worried about Crim Pro because I felt I must have been missing something the whole time I wrote that answer but I guess not.

As far as Q6 can any fellow THEMIS people remember seeing much about Takings during the course? I honestly don't remember anything and the little I remembered I regurgitated from a separate model answer. And honest to god I had never heard of "spot zoning" until seeing that video. Probably whiffed on that one.
I took Themis, and I was totally upside down on this question. I spotted the main issue RE Takings/Investment backed expectations, etc. But I had to dig into my property and con law knowledge to talk about variances and a bunch of BS. I'll be happy with a 60 on Q6.

mike.alexander23

Bronze

Post by mike.alexander23 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:58 pm

But even talking to other students of other courses, I heard similar complaints. Our knowledge and prep for Takings was very surface level. I felt like I was repeating myself the whole essay

robinhoodOO

Silver

Post by robinhoodOO » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:59 pm

kjartan wrote:Why do this to yourself?
Masochism.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

petsoundspop

New

Post by petsoundspop » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:07 pm

mike.alexander23 wrote:But even talking to other students of other courses, I heard similar complaints. Our knowledge and prep for Takings was very surface level. I felt like I was repeating myself the whole essay
I still can't believe there was a freaking Takings essay. Oh well, there is nothing left to do now but wait.

tmanix

New

Post by tmanix » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:20 pm

A little humor to lighten things up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6P3RFEAHeQ
Last edited by tmanix on Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mike.alexander23

Bronze

Post by mike.alexander23 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:20 pm

The only thing that scares me is the whole crap shoot of it all. I've had people tell me that they give A LOT of 55-60 scores. Which means you really have to ace an essay to get your 65 even though you may completely understand the essay question and spot all the issues.

In Themis I didn't get an essay score lower than a 65 from my grader, but now I'm convinced that I perceived a 65 as an easy score to get.

What have you guys been told about how "easy" it is to get a 65?

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:26 pm

tmanix wrote:A little humor to lighten things up
Yes! I love this video

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

robinhoodOO

Silver

Post by robinhoodOO » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:35 pm

a male human wrote:
Yes! I love this video
Even Hitler understands the plight :/

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:41 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:
a male human wrote:
Yes! I love this video
Even Hitler understands the plight :/
Do you think Hitler ended up like this?
https://youtu.be/B7QtRCGQmrc

gaagoots

Bronze

Post by gaagoots » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:27 pm

mike.alexander23 wrote:The only thing that scares me is the whole crap shoot of it all. I've had people tell me that they give A LOT of 55-60 scores. Which means you really have to ace an essay to get your 65 even though you may completely understand the essay question and spot all the issues.

In Themis I didn't get an essay score lower than a 65 from my grader, but now I'm convinced that I perceived a 65 as an easy score to get.

I read this somewhere...have to say after my unsuccessful attempt in Feb it rings true, for me at least.

Score Explanation

45 You wrote anything
50 You wrote as if you read the fact pattern
55 You wrote bad answers, but answers nonetheless
60 You wrote ok answers missing out on some major issues
65 You wrote good answers hitting all the major issues and maybe missing a minor issue or two
70 You wrote great answers
75 You wrote even greater answers
80-85 You may have spent too much time on this essay
90+ you cheated :lol:

mike.alexander23

Bronze

Post by mike.alexander23 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:46 pm

gaagoots wrote:
mike.alexander23 wrote:The only thing that scares me is the whole crap shoot of it all. I've had people tell me that they give A LOT of 55-60 scores. Which means you really have to ace an essay to get your 65 even though you may completely understand the essay question and spot all the issues.

I read this somewhere...have to say after my unsuccessful attempt in Feb it rings true, for me at least.

Score Explanation

45 You wrote anything
50 You wrote as if you read the fact pattern
55 You wrote bad answers, but answers nonetheless
60 You wrote ok answers missing out on some major issues
65 You wrote good answers hitting all the major issues and maybe missing a minor issue or two
70 You wrote great answers
75 You wrote even greater answers
80-85 You may have spent too much time on this essay
90+ you cheated :lol:
This is interesting. I know there isn't any proof to this other than your experience, but thanks for sharing. I remember being told that to get a 65, it doesn't take much, but you do have to spot all the major issues.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

petsoundspop

New

Post by petsoundspop » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:10 pm

I personally HATED the Themis essay graders. Honestly the "feedback" I got was not at all relevant to the essay I would submit. Several times the comments would read, "don't forget to address X, Y, and Z" when all those issues had their own headings or sub-headings and subsequent analysis. The process of sitting down and doing timed essays definitely helped but I felt lost in the wilderness in terms of feedback. I did request a new grader who was just as useless as the previous one so there wasn't much else I could do.

Additionally, and I may be crazy here, but I don't remember Themis teaching the rule regarding "unreasonable restraint on alienation" which was part of Q2. Luckily I said it was a joint tenancy with right of survivorship, but that was just my best guess.

All in all, definitely not a fan of Themis. But my thoughts could change if I pass :wink:

kjartan

Gold

Post by kjartan » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:06 pm

petsoundspop wrote: I personally HATED the Themis essay graders. Honestly the "feedback" I got was not at all relevant to the essay I would submit. Several times the comments would read, "don't forget to address X, Y, and Z" when all those issues had their own headings or sub-headings and subsequent analysis. The process of sitting down and doing timed essays definitely helped but I felt lost in the wilderness in terms of feedback. I did request a new grader who was just as useless as the previous one so there wasn't much else I could do.
Bar prep graders are worse than useless. I once turned in a model answer and got a 60. :lol:

mike.alexander23

Bronze

Post by mike.alexander23 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:17 pm

kjartan wrote:
petsoundspop wrote: I personally HATED the Themis essay graders. Honestly the "feedback" I got was not at all relevant to the essay I would submit. Several times the comments would read, "don't forget to address X, Y, and Z" when all those issues had their own headings or sub-headings and subsequent analysis. The process of sitting down and doing timed essays definitely helped but I felt lost in the wilderness in terms of feedback. I did request a new grader who was just as useless as the previous one so there wasn't much else I could do.
Bar prep graders are worse than useless. I once turned in a model answer and got a 60. :lol:
LMAO. Love that troll job. Guys, is this nightmare over yet?

gaagoots

Bronze

Post by gaagoots » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:20 pm

kjartan wrote:

Agreed! They ran an ad on Sac CL dumpster diving for bar prep graders. I was at a wedding in June sat at the lawyers table and they talked about Themis BS graders. A husband and wife studied for the bar together. W was clearly a better writer than H and she was constantly getting crappy essay grades and he was turning in crap and getting 70's. They switched, she sent his exact 70's essay and still received a 55, he sent in her 55 and received a 70.

Bar graders are all over the map too. On baressays.com they have a sample 70 community property graded essay on the homepage, it's a lot like our essay #4 . If that received a 70 there is hope :-)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

robinhoodOO

Silver

Post by robinhoodOO » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:05 am

gaagoots wrote:
kjartan wrote:

Agreed! They ran an ad on Sac CL dumpster diving for bar prep graders. I was at a wedding in June sat at the lawyers table and they talked about Themis BS graders. A husband and wife studied for the bar together. W was clearly a better writer than H and she was constantly getting crappy essay grades and he was turning in crap and getting 70's. They switched, she sent his exact 70's essay and still received a 55, he sent in her 55 and received a 70.

Bar graders are all over the map too. On baressays.com they have a sample 70 community property graded essay on the homepage, it's a lot like our essay #4 . If that received a 70 there is hope :-)
Kaplan was more or less the same with their essay grading. Complete and total shit.

BuenAbogado

Bronze

Post by BuenAbogado » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:17 am

Anyone know why he didn't mention marriage of hugg for stock options on the CP essay?

MC_ClapYourHands

New

Post by MC_ClapYourHands » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:53 am

BuenAbogado wrote:Anyone know why he didn't mention marriage of hugg for stock options on the CP essay?

On Q.1 why couldn't Patient argue that State B did have PJ over Doctor, relying on Calder v Jones/Keeton v Hustler? Patient could argue that the injuries he sustained took place in State B.

mike.alexander23

Bronze

Post by mike.alexander23 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:35 am

Not to be a wet blanket (and I'm all for discussing essay questions), but aren't we banned from discussing exam questions?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gaagoots

Bronze

Post by gaagoots » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:39 am

mike.alexander23 wrote:Not to be a wet blanket (and I'm all for discussing essay questions), but aren't we banned from discussing exam questions?
Cookie Monster threatened to lock the NY thread for discussing them. We need this thread for the next three weeks :shock:

acronyx

New

Post by acronyx » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:03 pm

mike.alexander23 wrote:Not to be a wet blanket (and I'm all for discussing essay questions), but aren't we banned from discussing exam questions?
Does that still apply given that they've been released?

BuenAbogado

Bronze

Post by BuenAbogado » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:25 pm

acronyx wrote:
Does that still apply given that they've been released?
Lolololol

Can't tell if trolling

(No, now that they're released, there is no issue of privacy)

BuenAbogado

Bronze

Post by BuenAbogado » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:26 pm

Did anyone discuss recission or constructive trust for the Corp question? I didn't, I just discussed disgorgement, but sacuzzo is freaking me out.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”