July 2015 California Bar Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
BuenAbogado

Bronze

Re: July 2015 California Bar Exam

Post by BuenAbogado » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:29 pm

gaagoots wrote:
Pleasye wrote:
a male human wrote:
Pleasye wrote:
a male human wrote:You can bring your own 4"x4" clock or an analog watch (my preference). Some test centers should have a wall clock, however.
Hm I always thought there would be a wall clock. Guess I need to find a watch or clock to bring in. Sorry for all the questions, but do you know if there is a ban on digital clocks like there was for the LSAT?
Yeah, don't bring digital anything. I think there's a list of allowed and disallowed items on the bar website somewhere.
I was just coming back to edit and say I found the link to the rules. Thank you!

Also for anyone wondering: http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/Portals ... CIES_R.pdf
Beware of dumb rules coming out on MBE day (it's cell block H day). We were told at our testing center we could NOT blow our noses with tissues at our exam table. We would have to go to the bathroom to do that. Stupid NCBE did not consider February=Cold and Flu season.
No problem. I'll blow my nose without a tissue at my desk so I don't fail.

BuenAbogado

Bronze

Post by BuenAbogado » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:29 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:
BuenAbogado wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:
californiabarprep wrote:For Ontario Convention Center, are hooded sweatshirts allowed? I dunno if that counts as a hoodie/hat that is banned.
It's a gated community, so they're only permissible if you're okay with getting shot.

But seriously...You should be prepared for an involuntary cavity search. They are dead serious about enforcing the #2 pencil rule and past takers have been known to get cheeky in bypassing this rule. They. Will. Find. Out.
Too soon bro, too soon. Gotta wait until September 2017.
I forgot about the 5 year 7 month SoL on jokes related to deaths...Fuck; I'm never going to pass the Bar :(
Dude, I doubt they'll test that much detail. You should be OK.

Redamon1

Bronze

Post by Redamon1 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:25 pm

lameslice57 wrote:
My_name_is_jimmothy wrote:I took the bar exam twice. I passed the second time, but the first time I missed by less than 10 points. I spent the night before day 3 stressing about cal civ pro. Had I ignored it, I probably would have passed the first time.

I think if it gets tested it'll be a crossover. Freer was the barbri lecturer last year for civ pro and he sounded like he knew what the likely test hypo would look like in the event cal civ pro were tested- if I remember he said it'd likely be a PJ/motion to quash service/demurrer and some other stuff...

I'd spend a couple hours studying it- 2-3% of your overall study time IMO
Do any BarBri peeps have a recollection of what Freer said would likely be tested for Cal Civ Pro (in the unlikely scenario it shows up)?
He was betting on special appearance to make a motion to quash service of process, possibly followed by the special writ of mandate, which is the only way you can appeal the lower court's denial of this motion. YIKESSSSS!

Neatrends

Bronze

Post by Neatrends » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:54 pm

Anyone know where to find the password for the mock exam?

soj

Platinum

Removed

Post by soj » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:57 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

robinhoodOO

Silver

Post by robinhoodOO » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:58 pm

Redamon1 wrote:
lameslice57 wrote:
My_name_is_jimmothy wrote:I took the bar exam twice. I passed the second time, but the first time I missed by less than 10 points. I spent the night before day 3 stressing about cal civ pro. Had I ignored it, I probably would have passed the first time.

I think if it gets tested it'll be a crossover. Freer was the barbri lecturer last year for civ pro and he sounded like he knew what the likely test hypo would look like in the event cal civ pro were tested- if I remember he said it'd likely be a PJ/motion to quash service/demurrer and some other stuff...

Do any BarBri peeps have a recollection of what Freer said would likely be tested for Cal Civ Pro (in the unlikely scenario it shows up)?
He was betting on special appearance to make a motion to quash service of process, possibly followed by the special writ of mandate, which is the only way you can appeal the lower court's denial of this motion. YIKESSSSS!
You can't appeal it after entry of judgment like any other issue? I'm pretty sure you can...

robinhoodOO

Silver

Post by robinhoodOO » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:58 pm

Neatrends wrote:Anyone know where to find the password for the mock exam?
Pretty sure it's your birthdate and also pretty sure this information is in the instructions somewhere ;)

Redamon1

Bronze

Post by Redamon1 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:15 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:
Redamon1 wrote:
lameslice57 wrote:

You can't appeal it after entry of judgment like any other issue? I'm pretty sure you can...
Right, that would make sense. I think the rule here is that interlocutory review of a denial of a motion to squash can only be raised via the writ of mandate.

BuenAbogado

Bronze

Post by BuenAbogado » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:17 pm

Redamon1 wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:
Redamon1 wrote:
lameslice57 wrote:

Right, that would make sense. I think the rule here is that interlocutory review of a denial of a motion to squash can only be raised via the writ of mandate.
Nah, if they test ca civ they will make it easy in order to announce that it's now being tested. They'll probably do a primary rights issue. Car accident with preclusion claim.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

robinhoodOO

Silver

Post by robinhoodOO » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:18 pm

Redamon1 wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:
Redamon1 wrote:
lameslice57 wrote:

Yup; that's what I thought. Just confirming...

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:32 pm

I usually wipe my snot on my hand or sleeve anyway because I'm too beta to make noise with my sneezing or noseblow in public

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:33 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Speaking of which, how is everyone planning on keeping track of time during the test? Should I just buy a cheap Casio watch and use that, or is there a cheap alternative that is actually a stopwatch of some sort?
Can you borrow an analog watch and set it to 12 every section?

Redamon1

Bronze

Post by Redamon1 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:58 pm

BuenAbogado wrote:
Redamon1 wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:
Redamon1 wrote:
lameslice57 wrote:

Nah, if they test ca civ they will make it easy in order to announce that it's now being tested. They'll probably do a primary rights issue. Car accident with preclusion claim.
Yeah that's a very good guess. It hit me today while practicing Barbri CivPro Essay 3 (Feb 2006) that the primary right issue could come up even in a fact patter where a case is being litigated in federal court, since it is the preclusion law of the court that heard Case 1 that determines what claim or issue is precluded in Case 2. So here's the fact pattern: Case 1 in CA state court involves K claims and Case 2 is in federal court on the same T/O but involves both K and tort claims. Or, sneakier yet, they don't tell you in what state court the first case was.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

robinhoodOO

Silver

Post by robinhoodOO » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:30 pm

Redamon1 wrote:
BuenAbogado wrote:
Redamon1 wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:
Redamon1 wrote:
lameslice57 wrote:

Yeah that's a very good guess. It hit me today while practicing Barbri CivPro Essay 3 (Feb 2006) that the primary right issue could come up even in a fact patter where a case is being litigated in federal court, since it is the preclusion law of the court that heard Case 1 that determines what claim or issue is precluded in Case 2. So here's the fact pattern: Case 1 in CA state court involves K claims and Case 2 is in federal court on the same T/O but involves both K and tort claims. Or, sneakier yet, they don't tell you in what state court the first case was.
Funny, I spoke to some last week that said they were certain Res Judicata and Collateral Estoppel were due and thought they'd be on this exam. I suppose I could see them testing CA Civ Pro that way...

BuenAbogado

Bronze

Post by BuenAbogado » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:36 pm

Redamon1 wrote:
BuenAbogado wrote:
Redamon1 wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:
Redamon1 wrote:
lameslice57 wrote:

Yeah that would be a pretty good CA Civ Pro question. But somehow I don't see them breaking out CA Civ Pro on July. I feel like they like to make the feb questions harder since a lot of people have studied twice and thus know the law better and they need a way to differentiate candidates more easily.

My predictions are:

C - C
E - C
R - L E
P - C S
C - P V
C - M A S

LawIsPrettyCool

New

Post by LawIsPrettyCool » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:28 am

Yo I heard we are having a full blown quasi in rem analysis essay question.

redblueyellow

Bronze

Post by redblueyellow » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:15 am

BuenAbogado wrote: My predictions are:

C - C
E - C
R - L E
P - C S
C - P V
C - M A S
Wut?

Also, primary rights = fact pleading, right?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LawIsPrettyCool

New

Post by LawIsPrettyCool » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:58 am

redblueyellow wrote:
BuenAbogado wrote: My predictions are:

C - C
E - C
R - L E
P - C S
C - P V
C - M A S
Wut?

Also, primary rights = fact pleading, right?
Don't mean the same thin but if u have prim rights you'll have fact pleading so you're kind of right

gaagoots

Bronze

Post by gaagoots » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:04 am

Redamon1 wrote:
lameslice57 wrote:

I was listening to that lecture at work and I'm the only one who said PLEASE let them test that fact pattern. I was assigned to work on the UD from hell, and the home owner of a fraudulent foreclosure was 'so called personally served' in CA while he was out of state, we quashed, judge denied, said have 5 days to answer, filed a writ, tenants on the premise served a nail and mail posting, this one was real, no notice to tenants regarding the foreclosure, the foreclosure trustee was indicted on 3 counts of fraud,there is a case for quiet title on the property by real owner against new owner because of the fraud, we are consolidating, it gets worse BUT they wouldn't test on UD timeline in civ pro, way too many differences especially in timing and exceptions for limited cases for special demurrers for UDs. For me during bar study this was the best PT practice ever :lol:

paulshortys10

Silver

Post by paulshortys10 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:55 am

what's primary rights??

I haven't studied CA Civ Pro besides watching a lecture....hope it doesn't come up.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:07 pm

paulshortys10 wrote:what's primary rights??

I haven't studied CA Civ Pro besides watching a lecture....hope it doesn't come up.
Under the Federal Rules you get claim preclusion for all claims arising out of the same transaction or occurrence. CA recognizes the primary rights doctrine which says you can sue again if different primary rights are implicated. The main distinction is property vs. personal injury. So if you are injured in a car crash and you sue first for the damage to your car you can sue again for the injuries and not be precluded. Whereas under the Federal Rules you would be.

Even if they don't specifically test CA Civ Pro you can probably get a couple free points if they ask a Fed Civ Pro question about preclusion on an essay and you toss that in there.

I'm with you on everything else. I feel like if a CA Civ Pro question shows up half of the room is just gonna get up and walk out.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

robinhoodOO

Silver

Post by robinhoodOO » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:20 pm

LawIsPrettyCool wrote:Yo I heard we are having a full blown quasi in rem analysis essay question.
$1,000 says this is as likely as them testing the Model Code. Yes, someone actually asked what they needed to know about the Model Code and how to differentiate...People are getting paranoid.

gaagoots

Bronze

Post by gaagoots » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:58 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:
LawIsPrettyCool wrote:Yo I heard we are having a full blown quasi in rem analysis essay question.
$1,000 says this is as likely as them testing the Model Code. Yes, someone actually asked what they needed to know about the Model Code and how to differentiate...People are getting paranoid.
I'd take one oddball (e.g.unconstitutional exactions or Anti-SLAAP) essay in exchange for an easy peasy PT.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:01 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
paulshortys10 wrote:what's primary rights??

Under the Federal Rules you get claim preclusion for all claims arising out of the same transaction or occurrence. CA recognizes the primary rights doctrine which says you can sue again if different primary rights are implicated. The main distinction is property vs. personal injury. So if you are injured in a car crash and you sue first for the damage to your car you can sue again for the injuries and not be precluded. Whereas under the Federal Rules you would be.

Even if they don't specifically test CA Civ Pro you can probably get a couple free points if they ask a Fed Civ Pro question about preclusion on an essay and you toss that in there.

I'm with you on everything else. I feel like if a CA Civ Pro question shows up half of the room is just gonna get up and walk out.
Tiago!! You ending up back in CA? :D

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:07 pm

Yep Bay Area for me

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”