Do you think the bar exam will avoid "controversial" topics?

User avatar
WORLDSTAR
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:24 am

Do you think the bar exam will avoid "controversial" topics?

Postby WORLDSTAR » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:49 pm

I just don't see issues concerning same sex marriage, sex with clients, and similarly controversial material ever being tested given the current political climate and the propensity for people to flip the fuck out over the tiniest encroachments on political correctness.

User avatar
ymmv
Posts: 12946
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:36 pm

Re: Do you think the bar exam will avoid "controversial" topics?

Postby ymmv » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:51 pm

WORLDSTAR wrote:I just don't see issues concerning same sex marriage, sex with clients, and similarly controversial material ever being tested given the current political climate and the propensity for people to flip the fuck out over the tiniest encroachments on political correctness.


How controversial is sex with clients exactly.

User avatar
WORLDSTAR
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:24 am

Re: Do you think the bar exam will avoid "controversial" topics?

Postby WORLDSTAR » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:59 pm

ymmv wrote:How controversial is sex with clients exactly.


It seems like the type that could be "triggering" I guess. I don't know, I'm tired and delirious.

doubltall
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:20 pm

Re: Do you think the bar exam will avoid "controversial" topics?

Postby doubltall » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:34 am

along this vein, i'm curious about extremely recent Supreme Court decisions – like the recent change regarding affirmative action--whether they would ask about it, and, if they might, what the heck is the new law?! fearing my barbri books may be outdated D:

but to answer your question, worldstar, I don't think they will necessarily shy away from controversial topics. There have been plenty MBE questions on matters of that potentially triggering nature, and likely deliberately so. I would say it's all fair game.

User avatar
ymmv
Posts: 12946
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:36 pm

Re: Do you think the bar exam will avoid "controversial" topics?

Postby ymmv » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:41 am

doubltall wrote:along this vein, i'm curious about extremely recent Supreme Court decisions – like the recent change regarding affirmative action--whether they would ask about it, and, if they might, what the heck is the new law?! fearing my barbri books may be outdated D:.


There's not much change. The general gist on state AA is that racial quota systems are impermissible, holistic systems that consider race among other factors are permissible, and states may ban state AA if they want.

redblueyellow
Posts: 465
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: Do you think the bar exam will avoid "controversial" topics?

Postby redblueyellow » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:22 pm

I may have missed it, but I haven't seen a crim essay on rape or abortion (con law) yet.

User avatar
WORLDSTAR
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:24 am

Re: Do you think the bar exam will avoid "controversial" topics?

Postby WORLDSTAR » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:37 pm

looks like they won't

mclilazng
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:25 pm

Re: Do you think the bar exam will avoid "controversial" topics?

Postby mclilazng » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:36 pm

WORLDSTAR wrote:looks like they won't


Saw your admin post days ago. Aren't you glad they didn't test it?

Your post got me paranoid and I memorized a rule statement for a court's discretion to review and discretion to review under constitutional implications AND substantial evidence rule for good measure. Now I need to forget it ALL lol

User avatar
WORLDSTAR
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:24 am

Re: Do you think the bar exam will avoid "controversial" topics?

Postby WORLDSTAR » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:55 pm

mclilazng wrote:
WORLDSTAR wrote:looks like they won't


Saw your admin post days ago. Aren't you glad they didn't test it?

Your post got me paranoid and I memorized a rule statement for a court's discretion to review and discretion to review under constitutional implications AND substantial evidence rule for good measure. Now I need to forget it ALL lol



You mean you missed that MAJOR admin issue on the essays?????

jk, I was so glad they didn't test it (because honestly, I didn't bother studying it), but I didn't want to say anything to anyone near me in case I may have missed something huge, lol

Barbarbara
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:04 pm

Re: Do you think the bar exam will avoid "controversial" topics?

Postby Barbarbara » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:27 pm

Definitely got some of those controversial issues today!




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Phightins, squiggle and 7 guests