Final Day Essay Tips and Strategies

doubltall

Final Day Essay Tips and Strategies

Postby doubltall » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:41 pm

If there's one thing I could foresee plaguing my potential essay score is that I may sometimes be too quick to answer the call of the question, without fleshing out things that may get me more credit. Sometimes the call of the question seems fairly straightforward, and I don't feel like it'd be worthwhile in writing generalized, quasi-related stuff that doesn't exactly speak to the call or have an effect on the answer in the end. Gah!

What are your tips and strategies to make sure you don't miss out on easy points?

Bigdoggetit

Re: Final Day Essay Tips and Strategies

Postby Bigdoggetit » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:51 pm

Tip #1: Exaggerate the law. There is a saying with guns, that you exaggerate safety, as in you exceedingly show that the gun is safe, unloaded with it's action open. I digress, but remember to exaggerate the legal concept being tested as much as possible. If the topic is governed by a particular subject of law, like article 3 of the icc, this should ALWAYS be you're first sentence. If you're dealing with a dormant commerce clause question and the issue involves discrimination of out of state participants, explain the WHOLE test. (absent a federal law, a state may pass a law governing intrastate commerce so long as it does not place an undue burden on interstate commerce or discriminate against out of state participants. Balancing test for hardship, important state interest, market participant, traditional gov function for discrimination).

Tip#2: Don't forget to use the facts! If you look at sample essays, there are a ton of facts that can be used to argue. Make sure you use all of them! There not just testing you on the law, there testing you on law plus application.

Tip#3: If the essay is testing you on something that you know right away, and you see it in the call of the fact pattern, before even reading the essay, write down the law first. That way you get it out of the way easily, rack up points, and can read the question with a clear head, without worrying that you still got to type out all that garbage law before actual analysis. Example: Civ pro, did the court err in granting billy bob's motion to dismiss for lack of subject matter jurisdiction. Before reading the facts, just write the damn law down.

WORLDSTAR

Postby WORLDSTAR » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:25 pm

At least in NY, the question offers some clues. For example, if a question asks whether a retainer agreement is proper and whether a lawyer is entitled to the full retainer, the following issues immediately jump out:

Was a Statement of the Client's Rights and Responsibilities provided in writing and before the retainer agreement was executed?

Does the retainer agreement have to be in writing (e.g., is this a domestic matter for which a written retainer agreement is required or are the attorney's services projected to be at least $3,000? If so, did the attorney provided the client with a written retainer agreement explaining the scope of legal services, attorney's fees, billing practices, expenses, and the client's right to arbitration over fee disputes?

Does the product of the attorney's basis rate and the number of hours billed in the matter meet or exceed the retainer amount?

You want to try to avoid rephrasing the question posed as the issue, since that's almost always wrong. You want to identify the actual issue.

Grapes

Postby Grapes » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:46 pm

doubltall wrote:
What are your tips and strategies to make sure you don't miss out on easy points?

Get enough sleep the night before so your mind is alert.

doubltall

Postby doubltall » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:56 pm

Grapes wrote:Get enough sleep the night before so your mind is alert.

Haha word. I'm pretty exhausted, so definitely going to try and cash in on that by getting to bed quite early. yet I just know that the second my head hits the pillow, my mind will start racing @.@

lindamalin234

Postby lindamalin234 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:34 am

At the beginning of your essay, make sure your readers see that you understand the issue. Explain your point of view in a clear and logical way. If possible, discuss the issue in a broader context or evaluate the implications or complications of the issue. Address what others might say to refute your point of view and present a counterargument. If you want to more information to see the SPAM it will give us the best choice of writing service.

jenniffer07

Postby jenniffer07 » Sat May 23, 2015 7:09 am

I think it would be better to make an outline first before starting to write your essay and put all the important points you have collected from online or anywhere but that will be very relative to the topic you have chosen. Create some deviations to reveal your points than saying it as straightforward..Most of my friends are using SPAM for their essays and i have also used because i was in such a condition so there was not an option to write it myself..English grammar rules and norms are very important to think also..but i'm sure that you can write a best essay if you have a great desire and confidence to write it yourself..

My_name_is_jimmothy

Postby My_name_is_jimmothy » Mon May 25, 2015 2:52 pm

doubltall wrote:If there's one thing I could foresee plaguing my potential essay score is that I may sometimes be too quick to answer the call of the question, without fleshing out things that may get me more credit. Sometimes the call of the question seems fairly straightforward, and I don't feel like it'd be worthwhile in writing generalized, quasi-related stuff that doesn't exactly speak to the call or have an effect on the answer in the end. Gah!

Transcribe facts word for word. That way you don't reinterpret facts to match your first impressions.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat May 30, 2015 4:58 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This. So much This. Copying the facts word for word including the commas will force you to really read the facts and apply them to the rules as you set them out.

Gresase

Postby Gresase » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:36 pm

mod edit: SPAM

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”