Withdrawing from the bar exam again..

TrustMeImnothere

Withdrawing from the bar exam again..

Postby TrustMeImnothere » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:00 pm

My sister passed away two days ago and I am distraught to the point I can't even write this out properly. I have had to go back to London to be with my family. I intend to withdraw from the exam because there is no way I am at all focused to take the exam.

But this would be the 2nd time I withdrew as I was incredibly sick on the eve of the July exam. I probably should have taken it but I didn't want to fail and have a two time taker on my resume, especially considering I went to law school in the UK and want to work in the US.

I'm not sure what to do. I feel like I need to take the test now but I'm 5000 miles away with my mind further from the exam than my location.

Anyone have any advice? Has anyone withdrawn twice?

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Re: Withdrawing from the bar exam again..

Postby Desert Fox » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:12 pm

Go be with your family.

nvbar2015

Postby nvbar2015 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:13 pm

Sorry for your loss, I couldn't imagine dealing with something like that.

I would write the exam if I were you. Even though you had this major tragedy, you've been studying for 2-3 months for this test. If it were me, I would just write it as you've already paid a lot of money to have never written the exam.

numbertwo88

Postby numbertwo88 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:15 pm

Sorry sorry to hear your news :(

I wouldn't worry about withdrawing twice - it's a hard exam and you shouldn't take it unless you're mentally/physically all set. In both situations you seem to have been in an especially tough place, particularly now. If you've studied and you actually want to give it a go, by all means do but don't be hard on yourself if you don't pass.

From my understanding that is pretty much irrelevant how many times you sit for/withdraw from the exam because passing/stating the jurisdiction you're admitted in is the only thing that matters for resume purposes. Unless it's different in places I'm totally unaware of.

TrustMeImnothere

Postby TrustMeImnothere » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:48 pm

numbertwo88 wrote:Sorry sorry to hear your news :(

I wouldn't worry about withdrawing twice - it's a hard exam and you shouldn't take it unless you're mentally/physically all set. In both situations you seem to have been in an especially tough place, particularly now. If you've studied and you actually want to give it a go, by all means do but don't be hard on yourself if you don't pass.

From my understanding that is pretty much irrelevant how many times you sit for/withdraw from the exam because passing/stating the jurisdiction you're admitted in is the only thing that matters for resume purposes. Unless it's different in places I'm totally unaware of.

I contacted Themis to let them know too and the Director told me that BOLE has a policy of reviewing before letting someone who has withdrawn twice. I'm worried that they may not let me sit for the exam but at the same time, I can't imagine sitting right now.

TrustMeImnothere

Postby TrustMeImnothere » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:51 pm

nvbar2015 wrote:Sorry for your loss, I couldn't imagine dealing with something like that.

I would write the exam if I were you. Even though you had this major tragedy, you've been studying for 2-3 months for this test. If it were me, I would just write it as you've already paid a lot of money to have never written the exam.

Thank you. I was thinking the same thing but my mind can't seem to focus on anything else. And I know I'd fail. And I can't afford to fail either.

redblueyellow

Postby redblueyellow » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:56 pm

I am so sorry.

I would not know what to do you in your shoes.

If you absolutely have to take it, for whatever reason, take it. But if you don't, I don't think you're going to run into any issues when a human reviews your file and sees the reason for your withdrawal (at least the second one).

gaagoots

Postby gaagoots » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:00 pm

TrustMeImnothere wrote:My sister passed away two days ago and I am distraught to the point I can't even write this out properly. I have had to go back to London to be with my family. I intend to withdraw from the exam because there is no way I am at all focused to take the exam.

But this would be the 2nd time I withdrew as I was incredibly sick on the eve of the July exam. I probably should have taken it but I didn't want to fail and have a two time taker on my resume, especially considering I went to law school in the UK and want to work in the US.

I'm not sure what to do. I feel like I need to take the test now but I'm 5000 miles away with my mind further from the exam than my location.

Anyone have any advice? Has anyone withdrawn twice?

I haven't withdrawn twice, but I didn't take it in July because my mother passed in her sleep on the 14th. Although I had a couple weeks to grieve the loss, I was not at all prepared by the fallout of my siblings and how distraught they were. My sisters were afraid I was going to 'snap' at the wrong time when I needed to most focus. I can say from the experience, my siblings and I all grew much closer and they have been so supportive of me and somehow that helps much more going into Feb.

We as humans were not designed to be cold and distant and 'suck up' a loss as big as yours. I remember completely losing it in the movie "The Judge" when RDJ told the judge at his hearing his mother passed away and OC was mocking him as if he was trying to get a continuance. It hits at a time you least expect it, so do yourself a favor and say goodbye to your sister and be there with your family.

Cole45

Postby Cole45 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:41 pm

So sorry for your loss. The bar happens twice a year. Time to be with loved ones while the grief is so fresh cannot be recovered. You'll never regret giving yourself and them the space to share in that grief and to assist you, moving forward. It seems like you are close with your family and so I suspect this experience, however enduring, will bring you strenth and resolve for the next round of exams.

On a practical note: I used to have a job where I frequently had to witness the terrible things people do and have done to them. Sometimes exam questions will trigger memories/faces/smells that pull me out of the question at hand and require a stern talking to to get back in the game. With the death of your sister so incredibly present, I think it's entirely possible that a wills question, for example, might cause you to be similarly affected.

If you decide to take the exam, try to settle into a peace about the experience. Do your best, but permit yourself to feel good about questions you did well in, and let slide the ones you felt were not as strong. Use it as a learning experience so that when you take it the next time, the mystery about what to expect is satisfied and that alone will help you prepare for July.

Be gentle with yourself. If you decide to forgo this exam, I wish you peace with that decision as well. I honestly would not worry about having withdrawn, particularly under these circumstances. Moreover, being an international exam-taker is rather exotic. Everyone loves an accent and CA firms or govt LOVE representing how diverse they are :)

Take good care.

TrustMeImnothere

Postby TrustMeImnothere » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:18 am

On top of everything, I just had my girlfriend break up with me. I didn't even get a chance to tell her about my sister.

I'm on a flight back and not sure what to do right now.

abogadesq

Postby abogadesq » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:47 pm

It's more important to be with your family now. You can always take the bar later.

Furball

Postby Furball » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:32 pm

Man...I'm really sorry about your loss. I can't imagine what you're going through at the moment.

In my opinion, forget the bar for now. Think that's the last thing you should worry about. It'll always be there for you to retake.

Family first. Everything else is secondary.

And I'm sure it hurts but forget your gf. Sounds cliche but you deserve better.

This too shall pass...

bklynattorney

Postby bklynattorney » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:57 pm

Unless you're sitting in a state that lists people who take/pass/fail the bar exam by actual name, then it won't necessarily hurt to be a multiple failure on the bar exam, at least not any more than withdrawing multiple times. At the end of the day, if you've failed and you're not listed, your future employer doesn't know whether you took or not. The same goes for people who have withdrawn. Now, that's under "ideal" circumstances. If, on the other hand, your future employer asks about the gap in employment as a licensed attorney (you'll have this gap regardless of whether you flunked the bar twice or simply withdrew twice), that's where failing can work against you. In any event, if you're not mentally/emotionally prepared (for whatever reason) to sit for the bar, I wouldn't chance it as the emotional toll of actually failing can be a lot for some to overcome. I say try to sit when you're at your best, but realize that putting it off for a while will look suspicious.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”