CA Moral Character Determination

darkknight76

CA Moral Character Determination

Postby darkknight76 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:03 pm

Last edited by darkknight76 on Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Furball

Re: CA Moral Character Determination

Postby Furball » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:37 pm

darkknight76 wrote:Are noise violations and write ups of that sort in undergrad something to worry about for the CA moral character determination?

I would think not unless actual charges were filed against you by the school? Or the police were called and they wrote you a citation of some sort and that became part of your public record or something. And even if it became part of your record, it seems like a pretty minor thing to worry about - noise violations especially when you were only in undergrad. I think I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Speaking of Moral Character, I'm still waiting on mine. Submitted mine as soon as I found out I passed in November and all I received so far is a letter mid-Dec that they received my app and began processing it. Haven't heard a peep since. So sick of waiting for this crap.

darkknight76

Postby darkknight76 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:11 am

Last edited by darkknight76 on Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

aretoodeetoo

Postby aretoodeetoo » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:13 am

darkknight76 wrote:No there were no formal charges. It was one of those situations where a student RA wrote me up for being in a room with other people who were drinking and they were being loud. I just have no idea how thorough these background checks are. Seems like it wouldn't be a big deal since I know other people have to deal with past DUIs, MIPs, etc.

No. If you want to know what can mess with moral character determination, PM me. I know what's up. MIPS, student RA write ups, and high school detentions aren't going to exclude you from this honorable profession.

dotbun

Postby dotbun » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:33 pm

Has anyone received their result yet for the moral character determination? I submitted mine late October and it's been "under review" ever since. I have nothing sketchy on my record except for a dumb small claims case that was settled in mediation. Thoughts?

SpAcEmAn SpLiFF

Postby SpAcEmAn SpLiFF » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:27 pm

dotbun wrote:Has anyone received their result yet for the moral character determination? I submitted mine late October and it's been "under review" ever since. I have nothing sketchy on my record except for a dumb small claims case that was settled in mediation. Thoughts?

I just checked and I'm still under review as well. I submitted mine about the same time as you did.

LawJunky

Postby LawJunky » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:40 am

SpAcEmAn SpLiFF wrote:
dotbun wrote:Has anyone received their result yet for the moral character determination? I submitted mine late October and it's been "under review" ever since. I have nothing sketchy on my record except for a dumb small claims case that was settled in mediation. Thoughts?

I just checked and I'm still under review as well. I submitted mine about the same time as you did.

I think that you will know something by the end of April.

I submitted my moral character application in May of 2013, and I got an answer the following October. That was sooner than I anticipated. I am sure you have nothing to worry about. Good luck.

BTW. I repeated the bar exam in Feb and can't wait to find out the results. In July, I made several glaring errors on the essays, and I knew about the errors right after the exam. I failed with a 1420. This time (Feb 2015) I am not aware of any glaring errors, so hopefully the result will be different. Best of luck to you and all CA bar exam takers.

2807 and Murph provided outstanding essay writing and PT guidance in preparation of the Feb exam. Thank you.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:45 pm

I submitted mine in late October or early November (don't remember exactly) and received my results end of February. There are a ton of people still waiting though, I'm sure you're fine.

Poopface

Postby Poopface » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:53 pm

Got pulled over for speeding in CA and I had an out-of-state driver's license and still do. I requested my driving record from my home state's DMV and saw my speeding tickets from other states but my speeding ticket from CA wasn't listed on this driving report. 1) where can i get a record of this, and 2) will speeding ticket in CA need to be disclosed in "convictions" section, aka is speeding a misdemeanor in CA?

thanks

LawJunky

Postby LawJunky » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:27 am

Poopface wrote:Got pulled over for speeding in CA and I had an out-of-state driver's license and still do. I requested my driving record from my home state's DMV and saw my speeding tickets from other states but my speeding ticket from CA wasn't listed on this driving report. 1) where can i get a record of this, and 2) will speeding ticket in CA need to be disclosed in "convictions" section, aka is speeding a misdemeanor in CA?

thanks

I don't have access to the full blown questionnaire since I passed the assessment, and the renewal (I listed the question below). I don't really think they care about speeding tickets, but I bet if you had 30 speeding tickets, they would care. So, I believe the best course is to disclose the speeding ticket in the convictions area. If you do so, they will think you are being a good attorney with full disclosure. If you don't disclose it and they find out, they could take it none too kindly. The best course of action is to fully disclose anything at all. You don't want to fail to disclose something that they find in an investigation. But, i really don't think they care about speeding tickets unless its reckless or many repeat violations.

Good luck.

16.1a Have you ever been convicted of the violation of a misdemeanor or felony? As used herein, a conviction includes a plea of guilty or nolo contendere, or a verdict or finding of guilt, regardless of whether sentence is imposed by the court.

SiRR

Postby SiRR » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:15 pm

Poopface wrote:Got pulled over for speeding in CA and I had an out-of-state driver's license and still do. I requested my driving record from my home state's DMV and saw my speeding tickets from other states but my speeding ticket from CA wasn't listed on this driving report. 1) where can i get a record of this, and 2) will speeding ticket in CA need to be disclosed in "convictions" section, aka is speeding a misdemeanor in CA?

thanks

This is the precise language from the instructions with regard to traffic violations in the "Convictions" section:
Traffic violations which must be reported under this question include Failure to Appear, Driving Without a License, Driving with a Suspended License, and Reckless Driving, as well as all traffic violations that resulted in a misdemeanor or felony conviction.

As far as where you can get a record, I presume from the city/county/state court who issued you the ticket. The courts in my home state have online databases you can search. If the documents aren't available online, you'll have to contact the court directly. Don't overlook small, local courts like JP courts, etc.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”