Who writes the California Bar Exam Essays?

BobbyBooBoo

Who writes the California Bar Exam Essays?

Postby BobbyBooBoo » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:08 pm

Who writes these essay questions? I.E. what type of qualifications must they have?

gaagoots

Re: Who writes the California Bar Exam Essays?

Postby gaagoots » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:47 pm

BobbyBooBoo wrote:Who writes these essay questions? I.E. what type of qualifications must they have?

I thought the essay portion are written by out-of-state professors.

Then the essays go to an essay bank and then revised by a committee who tweaks it...then it goes to testers who write the exam in an hour and find the issues. I think they have some calibration session after that.

I'm guessing the PTs are written in house. 6 months ago I was bored and tried to find the real cases on Westlaw. They exist and most of them were still in appeals. Feb 2007 PT Phenon Networks was a real CA case (Jasmine Networks v Marvell Semiconductors). I saw a few others too. I was secretly wishing they use McCourt v.McCourt the greed over the Dodgers. She had a marital standard of living something like $52,000+ a day. That's how the beautiful people live.

Furball

Re: Who writes the California Bar Exam Essays?

Postby Furball » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:29 pm

gaagoots wrote:
BobbyBooBoo wrote:Who writes these essay questions? I.E. what type of qualifications must they have?

I thought the essay portion are written by out-of-state professors.

Then the essays go to an essay bank and then revised by a committee who tweaks it...then it goes to testers who write the exam in an hour and find the issues. I think they have some calibration session after that.

I'm guessing the PTs are written in house. 6 months ago I was bored and tried to find the real cases on Westlaw. They exist and most of them were still in appeals. Feb 2007 PT Phenon Networks was a real CA case (Jasmine Networks v Marvell Semiconductors). I saw a few others too. I was secretly wishing they use McCourt v.McCourt the greed over the Dodgers. She had a marital standard of living something like $52,000+ a day. That's how the beautiful people live.

My Con Law professor (he was a retired federal court judge) wrote and submitted an essay that was picked by the committee and used as an actual Con Law question for the CA bar. He said a lot of retired federal court judges like himself write sample essays for bar exams because 1) it's like a fun hobby for them and 2) they get personal gratification from having their essays picked and used on the bar exam.

Very interesting!

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”