If you study to music, STOP IT RIGHT NOW Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
redblueyellow

Bronze

If you study to music, STOP IT RIGHT NOW

Post by redblueyellow » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:47 pm

So I normally study with music lightly playing in the background. The genre is dependent on the intensity of the material that I'm trying to learn or memorize.

Apparently, I've played several distinct playlists of the same songs over and over again so that they've become pretty ingrained with that particular subject. Sometimes music helps me recall information as well, so I don't get totally bored with the material in front of me and space off.

I tried to do some blind recall of Property today without music or headphones and utterly failed. Maybe 30% of the correct rules/elements right? I was able to generally describe things to a reasonable extent, which is nice, but I would not be confident with my answers.

Put on some music again and I'm pretty sure recall doubled.

I don't think I've ever noticed this before and playing music (anything from EDM, classical, rock) is what I did for July as well.

Crap.

KMart

Gold

Re: If you study to music, STOP IT RIGHT NOW

Post by KMart » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:48 pm

Dual sensory memory is what you experienced. You learned with two senses (sight + sound) so it was hard to recall with only one sense. Same theory applies with gum and learning - it's easier to recall on a test with the same flavor gum.

nvbar2015

New

Post by nvbar2015 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:50 pm

I need either complete silence when I study, or white or brown noise. Otherwise I can't concentrate at all. I could not imagine trying to study for the bar with music playing.

redblueyellow

Bronze

Post by redblueyellow » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:01 pm

imKMart wrote:Dual sensory memory is what you experienced. You learned with two senses (sight + sound) so it was hard to recall with only one sense. Same theory applies with gum and learning - it's easier to recall on a test with the same flavor gum.
Alright, that makes a lot more sense. Never really understood why gum helps.

PLEASE ADVISE ON HOW I CAN FIX THIS IN LESS THAN A WEEK.

redblueyellow

Bronze

Post by redblueyellow » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:02 pm

nvbar2015 wrote:I need either complete silence when I study, or white or brown noise. Otherwise I can't concentrate at all. I could not imagine trying to study for the bar with music playing.
I feel you on that. I can't do silence because it makes me feel uncomfortable. White noise is at the very minimum, please!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Evaly

New

Post by Evaly » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:14 pm

redblueyellow wrote:
imKMart wrote:Dual sensory memory is what you experienced. You learned with two senses (sight + sound) so it was hard to recall with only one sense. Same theory applies with gum and learning - it's easier to recall on a test with the same flavor gum.
Alright, that makes a lot more sense. Never really understood why gum helps.

PLEASE ADVISE ON HOW I CAN FIX THIS IN LESS THAN A WEEK.
Maybe this is a good thing. Perhaps if you hum the music in your head you'll just automatically recall the rules. That'll be leagues ahead of where I am...I can't recall the rules with or without music :(

TxBarTaker09

Bronze

Post by TxBarTaker09 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:19 pm

I study with music on and off, depending on my mood. I'm sure you'll be fine, but I would recommend taking any practice questions with no music, so that you are used to doing it.

DavidConeSplitter

Silver

Post by DavidConeSplitter » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:37 pm

What's brown noise? Like farts repeated over and over?

Furball

New

Post by Furball » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:56 pm

DavidConeSplitter wrote:What's brown noise? Like farts repeated over and over?
LOL

Yeah, what IS brown noise??

Strangely Appealing

New

Post by Strangely Appealing » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:21 pm

Short for Brownian noise - or random walk noise. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownian_noise

Hearing is relieving: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcWgjCDPiP4

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”