February 2015 New York essays

WORLDSTAR

February 2015 New York essays

Postby WORLDSTAR » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:35 am

Do you think they'll actually test administrative law? If so, as an essay or multiple choice?

jarofsoup

Re: February 2015 New York essays

Postby jarofsoup » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:58 am

Part of an essay. I would know the basics--administrative exhaustion, notice and comment requirement. Etc. Just the forest.

What bar prep are you taking? I am taking Kaplan and scoring really high on the essays and wanted to know if it is accurate.

WORLDSTAR

Postby WORLDSTAR » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:18 am

jarofsoup wrote:Part of an essay. I would know the basics--administrative exhaustion, notice and comment requirement. Etc. Just the forest.

What bar prep are you taking? I am taking Kaplan and scoring really high on the essays and wanted to know if it is accurate.

I went with barbri in another jurisdiction in July 2012. Although I had no problem passing in that jurisdiction, I failed the July 2014 NY exam. I know most of the SAPA stuff, but I'm just uncomfortable having literally no idea how they might test this stuff.

At this point, I'm just reading the CMR, supplementing with lean sheets, and hoping for the best.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:23 am

WORLDSTAR wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:Part of an essay. I would know the basics--administrative exhaustion, notice and comment requirement. Etc. Just the forest.

I went with barbri in another jurisdiction in July 2012. Although I had no problem passing in that jurisdiction, I failed the July 2014 NY exam. I know most of the SAPA stuff, but I'm just uncomfortable having literally no idea how they might test this stuff.

At this point, I'm just reading the CMR, supplementing with lean sheets, and hoping for the best.

Any reasons why you failed?

WORLDSTAR

Postby WORLDSTAR » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:30 am

jarofsoup wrote:Any reasons why you failed?

Yeah, NY essays: I lost too many points I shouldn't have lost. My MBE score was around 150, and I just blew the essays, unfortunately.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:33 am

WORLDSTAR wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:Any reasons why you failed?

Yeah, NY essays: I lost too many points I shouldn't have lost. My MBE score was around 150, and I just blew the essays, unfortunately.

I took CA last time and the MBE is what did me in. New York essay wise seems easier. At least it is a shorter section. Seems like IRAC and a 60% knowledge of the law gets you to a pass if you have a decent MBE.

JoanSloan

Postby JoanSloan » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:03 pm

NY essays are weird.

60% general MBE knowledge, and broad knowledge of NY subjects, is probably enough to get you to the 40-45 realm. Which means you could blow off a lot of studying and still land close to passing.

But passing is 55, so "close" doesn't really cut it. You do need to put in _some_ effort.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”