MPT Practice - Did you do this?

MPT Practice - Did you do this?

Postby sparty99 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:46 pm

I'm running out of time. Did people practice for the MPT? If so, for how long? Is this something I can skip?

A. Nony Mouse

Re: MPT Practice - Did you do this?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:50 pm

I think you have experience with legal writing, you can skip it unless you're in California, because theirs is weird and hard and counts a lot. In my non-CA state, it was basically, "here are 4 cases, here's a client/scenario/facts, advise the client on what they should do." The big thing was just paying attention to the prompt and giving them what they wanted (client letter, proposed legislation, brief, memo, etc.). It's worth familiarizing yourself with the kinds of prompts but otherwise it's not really worth practicing for (unless maybe you never did any legal writing after 1L, somehow).

But for CA you apparently need to practice it.

Postby jarofsoup » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:50 pm

Yes. Its easy points, so don't waste them. Do one or two of them it only takes 1.5 hours.

Postby ilovetypos » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:06 pm

at the very least, i would spend 45 minutes reading through the case file and library and outlining so you can make sure to finish stuff in time.

Postby redblueyellow » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:47 pm

CA here: I am dedicating an entire day after my substantive memorization session (about three days prior to the bar) for PT review. I don't think I'll write one out in its entirety, but I'll watch the bar prep videos and review all 4 (?) types. Maybe I'll outline one of each as well, not sure about that yet though. Got 60s on both last time, so maybe with some improvement, might be able to get to 70s this time.

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:30 pm

We get one MPT in Maryland and then three short (25 min. recommended) essays for the AM session, leaving 15 extra minutes on whatever you want. I almost always need that extra 15 minutes to get a decent answer on the MPT.

I'll usually spend about an hour to read through the whole thing and outline my answer. Then I'm even slower when it comes to typing down everything I want to get in, and I know I have to hit every issue once, so I end up giving a half-ass answer to everything in the last 30-45 minutes. The time just really flies when I'm doing an MPT.

I should have given it some more practice, but just never found the time. Fully answered one, outlined three. (This time - I also practiced it a bit when taking the bar back in July. Bombed the MPT btw).

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”