20%
20%
No votes

Total votes: 5

EZ as AsDf

Kaplan Hangout February 2015

Postby EZ as AsDf » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:37 pm

Hello everyone,

I know its late but perhaps we can meet here and speak about content specific to Kaplan's materials and how it is helping you prepare.

As a topic starter, I have improved my timing from doing their 33 question assignments regularly. Before, I wasn't able to answer all questions in the time given. Any additional insight is welcome- how are you using the course materials to obtain maximum benefit?

underthirty

Re: Kaplan Hangout February 2015

Postby underthirty » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:50 pm

Last edited by underthirty on Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

neumanj

Postby neumanj » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:25 am

I am not having a problem with timing issue. I always did multiple-choice questions fast. I am, however, not seeing any upward mobility, and I have fatigue issues in that I after 50-60 questions my brain is super tired and focusing becomes a real problem. I got a 55% on the MBE midterm which I am told is above average, and really haven't been focusing much on the essays. I find the lectures helpful to a point, but they are painstaking to get through and I think I could use my time better by just practicing questions and writing essays, but I didn't take tax or administrative law in law school, plus I am taking a bar exam in a state I didn't go to school in so the state specific subjects, I have never seen before.

We'll see, I don't feel very confident about my essays at this point, but that may be because I've only written out 5 of them and used the provided outlines to do so. I haven't even looked at the MPT yet.

redblueyellow

Postby redblueyellow » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:35 pm

neumanj wrote:I am, however, not seeing any upward mobility

Oh god, tell me about it

MichBar

Postby MichBar » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:10 pm

Did anybody take the Kaplan final early, which is scheduled for Wednesday?

My biggest beef with Kaplan is their flash cards. There's over 4 thousand of them online and it's not uncommon to have the "answers" contain multiple paragraphs. Nobody can truly memorize from those "flash cards."

neumanj

Postby neumanj » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:35 am

MichBar wrote:Did anybody take the Kaplan final early, which is scheduled for Wednesday?

My biggest beef with Kaplan is their flash cards. There's over 4 thousand of them online and it's not uncommon to have the "answers" contain multiple paragraphs. Nobody can truly memorize from those "flash cards."

I don't really pay close attention to the flash cards. I just scan them and read them in the sense that I was reading an outline and then use the scale based on my understanding the topic, so I know what which ones to review. Attempting to memorize them seems like a nightmare, as you pointed out.

MichBar

Postby MichBar » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:26 pm

Anyone take the final yet? How are scores? What did you think?

Tomego

Postby Tomego » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:58 am

Hello all,
I'm studying for the Washington State Bar. One issue I have with taking the bar off track is that I don't have all the camaraderie of fellow studiers suffering with me like I would in the summer. I'm glad I found this board that has current studiers talking about it so I can let off some steam and feel like I'm not in this alone.

Anyways I am doing the Kaplan bar review. One main concern I am having right now are the essays. I feel like I am just not getting it. I had one 5 but most of them have been 2s. I got a 133 on the midterm so I am hoping my MBE score can make up for any ground I lose on the first day of doing essays.

My last essay I literally bolded out all the sections of the IRAC because they don't like me merging them together in the same paragraph. I just submitted it so I hope that it is an easy formatting fix that will get me slightly better points without having to know the law any better.

How did you all fare on the midterm and how are your essays going? Any hints or suggestions that you have come by?

neumanj

Postby neumanj » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:23 am

Tomego wrote:Hello all,
I'm studying for the Washington State Bar. One issue I have with taking the bar off track is that I don't have all the camaraderie of fellow studiers suffering with me like I would in the summer. I'm glad I found this board that has current studiers talking about it so I can let off some steam and feel like I'm not in this alone.

Anyways I am doing the Kaplan bar review. One main concern I am having right now are the essays. I feel like I am just not getting it. I had one 5 but most of them have been 2s. I got a 133 on the midterm so I am hoping my MBE score can make up for any ground I lose on the first day of doing essays.

My last essay I literally bolded out all the sections of the IRAC because they don't like me merging them together in the same paragraph. I just submitted it so I hope that it is an easy formatting fix that will get me slightly better points without having to know the law any better.

How did you all fare on the midterm and how are your essays going? Any hints or suggestions that you have come by?

Holy crap, 133 on the midterm? They say 114+ is extraordinary. I got a 110, and since I need a minimum of a 142 scaled MBE score on the final, I have a ways to go to get there in the next two weeks.

I am taking the Oregon Bar and I started with the same issue on the essays. I then stopped trying to take the essays blind and I do them along with either my one-sheets or with the posted outline. It's just works for me not to memorize rule statements until the end so I just issue spot the essays and then use notes to write it out and since then, all of my essays have been 5s and 6s. I figure practicing and practicing writing is the best way to memorize rule statements, that's what I did in law school and well, I graduated so I guess it worked for me. My biggest issue is that in Oregon, we are limited to 4000 characters, including spaces. That's been my biggest hurdle, as I find it impossible to go over every issue without going over the character limit. This place is bizarre.

As for suffering with other people, I look at that as a sort of a blessing. I am not stressing out in a room with a bunch of crazy bar studiers, agonizing over everything. I study, play with my dog, study, eat, study, play with dog again, you get the picture. It's minimized the stress. If I was doing this in a room full of people, I'd probably go nuts just from watching them go nuts. Granted, we'll see how it works out once results come back.

Tomego

Postby Tomego » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:24 am

neumanj wrote:-snip-

Thanks for the advice! That is kind of what I was thinking of doing for this week. I figure if I can improve my formatting this week that should help all my essays, regardless of topic.

You bring up a good point about not being around people that are stressing out. I agree that it is one benefit for not studying at the school with everyone else. That said, I miss the opportunity to blow of some steam with my friends and get feedback from them that I am not in a bad place because they are having a hard go at it as well.

MichBar

Postby MichBar » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:06 pm

How did final exams come out? What did you guys think?

Tomego

Postby Tomego » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:34 pm

MichBar wrote:How did final exams come out? What did you guys think?

Just took my final MBE for Kaplan. Got a 143. In the video, it says to add a 15 to that score. I feel pretty good with that score but wonder if that will be enough of a cushion for my essays.

I'm going to do the essay/MPT final exam next week after I've had a few days to go through practice essays and rule statements pretty heavily.

underthirty

Postby underthirty » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:49 pm

Last edited by underthirty on Sat May 30, 2015 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tomego

Postby Tomego » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:43 pm

underthirty wrote:Tomego, for the Washington UBE, you need 270/400 to pass, correct? The exam I'm taking is quite similar. I've been focusing a lot on the MBE partially because of this post. In the right jurisdiction, a strong MBE can carry a weak essay performance across the finish line.

Because I tweaked the Kaplan study plan to suit me, I, too, am waiting to do the essay portion of the practice exam until next week.

Thanks for the post! That is correct for the required score in Washington. Looking at the data from one of the links in that thread, its hard to get below a 115. 158+115 and I should be over the hump. I wish I could just be complacent with that and start living again next week. O well, I've run the marathon this far, might as well push it to through the last week instead of falling on my face at the finish line. There is no way in h*ll I want to study for this test again.

mpwildcat4life

Postby mpwildcat4life » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:02 pm

Tomego wrote:
underthirty wrote:Tomego, for the Washington UBE, you need 270/400 to pass, correct? The exam I'm taking is quite similar. I've been focusing a lot on the MBE partially because of this post. In the right jurisdiction, a strong MBE can carry a weak essay performance across the finish line.

Because I tweaked the Kaplan study plan to suit me, I, too, am waiting to do the essay portion of the practice exam until next week.

Thanks for the post! That is correct for the required score in Washington. Looking at the data from one of the links in that thread, its hard to get below a 115. 158+115 and I should be over the hump. I wish I could just be complacent with that and start living again next week. O well, I've run the marathon this far, might as well push it to through the last week instead of falling on my face at the finish line. There is no way in h*ll I want to study for this test again.

I am also taking the test in a UBE jurisdiction... Where did you see that it said it is hard to get below a 115? my MBE score are high like yours but i am worried about the essays.. what is a 115 equivalent to on each essay?

MichBar

Postby MichBar » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:00 pm

I was worried my 70% on the Kaplan final was a fluke, but took another simulated MBE today and got a 71%. Like others here, I'm also worried about my essays. I am hoping I can pick up some ground on my essays over the next week and perhaps bump my MBE up another notch. My essays are "OK" but really seems subjective based on who is grading them. I'd like to "pass" both areas, but if my MBE can make up for slightly missing the mark on the essays, I will take that.

Passing is passing. All I know is I just don't ever want to do this again and don't want to have to ruin my summer with a re-take. My nerves and anxiety are my own worst enemy right now.

Tomego

Postby Tomego » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:19 pm

mpwildcat4life wrote:
I am also taking the test in a UBE jurisdiction... Where did you see that it said it is hard to get below a 115? my MBE score are high like yours but i am worried about the essays.. what is a 115 equivalent to on each essay?

I'd suggest looking at the thread underthirty posted. The original post in that thread made a lot of sense and then calculated the required MBE score to autopass a jurisdiction. I don't know if it is for sure the way he is describing it but it makes a lot of sense and he has some data to back it up. Many people in the thread asked about their specific state with a variety of weights given to the different tests, the same structure your state uses might be in there. Washington in there specifically on page 6.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=210339&start=125

According to that, a 155 in Washington is autopass. As I need a 170 so a 155+115(the bottom 1% of all test takers) would get me over the hump. I'm going to hope that my ability to do well on the MBE makes me at least more competent in the essays than the 1%. It is all based on the results released by the Illinois state bar, which are linked in the first page. It was also nice to see that the average on many of those essay scores wasn't a 4, in fact most of them were below a 3. Average would be passing so yeah.

neumanj

Postby neumanj » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:02 am

I ended up getting a 110 on the final MBE, which is the exact same score I got on the Midterm. The lack of improvement there is frustrating but I guess I have a week left to really figure out what I am missing. The state practice, I do really well the essays and PTs, so I'm just hoping I can memorize the rules and I am not too worried about that part. I need a 142 to pass the MBE in Oregon, so I have a ways to go to get there.

Tomego

Postby Tomego » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:09 pm

neumanj wrote:I ended up getting a 110 on the final MBE, which is the exact same score I got on the Midterm. The lack of improvement there is frustrating but I guess I have a week left to really figure out what I am missing. The state practice, I do really well the essays and PTs, so I'm just hoping I can memorize the rules and I am not too worried about that part. I need a 142 to pass the MBE in Oregon, so I have a ways to go to get there.

I am watching the videos discussing the final MBE exam. In them, Chris mentioned that the final exam is harder than the midterm and if you got the same score, that you have actually improved. For the final, he said that they only include moderate and difficult questions, no easy ones that he says make up about 25% of the actual exam. The midterm had easy questions and so no points were supposed to be added to the score. For the final, he said to add 15. So you actually have improved by about 15 points. Good job! Keep at it.

MichBar

Postby MichBar » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:00 pm

Did anyone else think the final was actually easier than their midterm?

Geaux12

Postby Geaux12 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:36 pm

Are any of yall doing the Live courses? Thoughts?

Tomego

Postby Tomego » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:17 pm

MichBar wrote:Did anyone else think the final was actually easier than their midterm?

For me as a test taker, yes. For the difficulty of the questions, no. I found the final easier because I had been studying to the point that I know the subject matter better. I believe the questions were more lengthy or had more wrinkles in them than the mid term and so they were more difficult than the midterm.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”