Weird tricks and tips for taking the bar

xvj7

Weird tricks and tips for taking the bar

Postby xvj7 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:36 pm

So I know there are lots of comments out there about how to study effectively and other substantive tips for passing the bar. I'll be doing my retake at the end of this month (eeeek!!), and I was wondering if anyone had any non-traditional/unorthodox tips, like how to manage stress, how to keep yourself from freaking out on game day, etc.

I'll leave my tip here: I've been doing my Kegel exercises every day (for your pelvic muscles) so that I don't have to get up and pee very 10 minutes during the test. Last time around, I almost passed, but ran out of time, partially due to too many bathroom breaks. I have a rather serious caffeine habit, and I know I'll have to guzzle some coffee and/or tea before the exam. I'll try to drink early enough in the day so that I'll get the fluids out of my system, but I'm also doing my Kegels so I can hold my pee for longer. Weird tip, I know, but hopefully things work out better for me this time around.

logdog

Re: Weird tricks and tips for taking the bar

Postby logdog » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:39 pm

If bathroom breaks are a problem, you could always wear a diaper.

Neve

Postby Neve » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:24 am

Caffeine pills.

Or a shot of espresso over a huge cup of coffee.

OklahomasOK

Postby OklahomasOK » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:07 pm

Well this went from 0-100 pretty quick.

And here I was, just trying to suggest keeping an analog watch set to 9:00 at the start of every MBE session.

JoanSloan

Postby JoanSloan » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:34 pm

Caffeine pills

Double-edged sword. Forego bathroom breaks during the exam, but also forego sleep during the night.
OP, go for the diaper on the first day. Clearly it's your only choice.

xvj7

Postby xvj7 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:04 pm

OklahomasOK wrote:Well this went from 0-100 pretty quick.

And here I was, just trying to suggest keeping an analog watch set to 9:00 at the start of every MBE session.

This is more like the answers I was looking for, but the rest did give me a good chuckle! Unfortunately, my state bans all watches during the exam.

Also, I did consider a diaper, but felt too much like that lady who drove hours in a diaper to kill her ex. I'm officially starting to lose it (but not in a murderous way!)

catinthewall

Postby catinthewall » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:17 pm

People might think I'm nuts, but I worked out like crazy while I was studying, so when it came time for the exam, I ran a mile every morning before the exam started that day. (I took and passed California on my first try last July.)

JoanSloan

Postby JoanSloan » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:31 pm

I think consistent habits tone down the anxiety. It's like telling yourself there's nothing special about that day (because you're going for a run, just like any other day).

I'm a night owl, so a productive morning is weird by default.
I'm seriously considering waking up at 5:30AM every day to chill past my early-morning "brain fuzz" before the exam even starts.
Might also take care of the insomnia late at night. Or, it might backfire horribly. I guess there's two weeks to find out!

How's that for weird?

numbertwo88

Postby numbertwo88 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:00 pm

The day of the exam I made a mission to be entirely anti-social, even with people I knew. I always get anxious when I hear other people discussing things and it'd be impolite to tell them to shut up so I literally walked around until I found empty quiet spaces. I didn't even use a bathroom near other people.

Also, in July I literally looked like a bum (sweats & tennis shoes - basically foreign clothing to me - & no makeup, boring hair in a ponytail) taking the exam which is literally something I never do. So come test day, I intend to look my best. I figure if I "feel" like myself, It'll give me some kind of boost.

I'm contemplating getting a hotel room near the convention center but I don't know if that makes sense given I live in the same city as the testing site. Gotta figure that one out soon before prices go up!

I don't think there's any way to manage the stress :(

abogadesq

Postby abogadesq » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:03 pm

A bat and a room full of fragile things does the trick.

aretoodeetoo

Postby aretoodeetoo » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:25 pm

Not worried about tricks or tips or even sleeping habits or peak behavior or what not. I think knowing the law (daunting, if not impossible) and being able to write it out fast (something to practice) is just a lot more important than getting 9 hours of sleep, waking up at 7 am every morning, stuff like that.

I just want to make sure I get SOME (even like 3-4 hours would be great) sleep the nights between and before, my body feels okay, stay hydrated, and to just do it. Like I'm def not worrying about whether or not I can hold in my piss and I probably won't be messing with stimulants. I know I can do anything on little sleep for one day... but not over three days.

Oh yeah, I definitely will not be talking to anyone or even looking at anyone all three days

OklahomasOK

Postby OklahomasOK » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:31 pm

aretoodeetoo wrote:Not worried about tricks or tips or even sleeping habits or peak behavior or what not. I think knowing the law (daunting, if not impossible) and being able to write it out fast (something to practice) is just a lot more important than getting 9 hours of sleep, waking up at 7 am every morning, stuff like that.

I just want to make sure I get SOME (even like 3-4 hours would be great) sleep the nights between and before, my body feels okay, stay hydrated, and to just do it. Like I'm def not worrying about whether or not I can hold in my piss and I probably won't be messing with stimulants. I know I can do anything on little sleep for one day... but not over three days.

Oh yeah, I definitely will not be talking to anyone or even looking at anyone all three days

Having some "shell" answers memorized helps quite a bit. I have some LLC/LLP answers memorized, some Con Law stuff memorized, etc.

If it makes you feel better, I didn't sleep at all the night before the July 2014 exam. Slept fine the next two nights. Passed by a good margin.

aretoodeetoo

Postby aretoodeetoo » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:48 pm

yeah i'm def much more worried about not being able to sleep after the first day. and is def a problemo because i can function at work on two nights no sleep... i surely am not functioning at 100% or near that though. not thinking about it.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:49 pm

Some times the fact patterns allude pretty heavily to the elements of a law. So if you have to guess look to the facts and work backwards.

aretoodeetoo

Postby aretoodeetoo » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:54 pm

jarofsoup wrote:Some times the fact patterns allude pretty heavily to the elements of a law. So if you have to guess look to the facts and work backwards.

ok since i can unravel for an hour or so, it would be an absolute nightmare to come across a paragraph on one of the essays where i just have no fucking clue. like one of those short four sentence paragraphs that is there for a reason but you don't know the reason... lol that will be pretty fun.

Neve

Postby Neve » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:25 pm

OklahomasOK wrote:
If it makes you feel better, I didn't sleep at all the night before the July 2014 exam. Slept fine the next two nights. Passed by a good margin.

The nights before the July 2014 exam, I slept from about 6pm to 11pm; I studied hard from 11ish/midnight until 8ish in the morning when the exam started (I would always study for that day). It worked for me since I'm a night owl and my sleep schedule was beyond messed up at that point. No "morning fog" to deal with. I did drink coffee/espresso per routine. I do believe that some sleep (5-6 hours) is essential to endure a 3-day exam. I personally did my best on Day 3 (the essays).

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”