2 weeks before the bar?

BarZombie

2 weeks before the bar?

Postby BarZombie » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:58 pm

Repeating CA.

Would appreciate some insight on how some repeaters...hopefully those that passed...managed the last two weeks.

Been grinding through a lot of material...given I'm repeating, much of it is familiar so recall is a bit easier.

Although, there's a lot...and some days feel better then others until I get into certain pocket areas...I know it...but some of it is nebulous in that I can't really give a verbatim BarBri rule...but could easily throw down the basic defenses to the formation or defense of a contract...will etc.

Will have done close to 2k MBEs...scores are 65-72...closer to 70 if you give credit for the stupid mistakes I've made due to burnout...I do blocks of 100 MBEs

Will have also taken and completed a PT workshop by Feb 6th.

Assuming I'm done with the planned schedule by that date...it's pretty much the cut date for winter BarBri...how have other repeaters allocated their time?

I do not want to go back into this thing burned out...or ruled by panic...I feel as if a lot of it requires clarity...for the MBEs so dumb mistakes aren't made...and energy is needed to be quick and efficient on the PTs and essays.

Thinking lots of flash cards, exercise, reading and just outlining essays, then more flash cards.

My only regret on the last round was sitting at a desk too much the two weeks before the exam...it added to the burnout...not to mention pulling an all-niter in the middle of the exam due to the accumulating lack of good sleep.

Thoughts?

jonasquinn

Re: 2 weeks before the bar?

Postby jonasquinn » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:45 pm

I took the February test last year, studying for it while working full time. You are way ahead of where I was going into February in terms of practice (I had done hardly any except for graded assigned essays from my bar course, Barpassers). Luckily, I had 1.5 weeks off leading up to the exam. Also, full disclosure, I posted almost verbatim what I'm posting here in another thread, but it seemed relevant to what you are asking about.

To start, I would never recommend what I went through the last 1.5 weeks as a plan, but most of what I did, I feel, is at least necessary to pass.

Though the assignment schedule didn't call for this, I had to schedule my study plan in this manner because I had fallen behind. That schedule during the 1.5 weeks consisted of spending one full day for each MBE subject, doing about 300 MBEs per subject. The MBEs were less daunting at the time because Barpassers has online software to practice MBEs.

Once those six days were done, I moved on to the essays. I didn't write any full essays except for the assignments. Instead, I focused on the first 15 min. of essay writing---the first read, the re-read, and outline. My outlines were fairly detailed, including the statements of law and the elements that needed discussion, but I also included relevant facts (or at least noted them). I did this during the remaining days for every essay provided for every subject, except remedies (b/c remedies wasn't supposed to be on the Feb. 2014 exam... but it was!). I might've sprinkled in some MBEs during this time, but not much.

I stopped studying around noon on the Monday before the test. I wanted and tried to study, but was too exhausted. The AM consisted of some review of my outlines, model answers, and MBEs that I had already done. The PM was vegetation. I feel that the importance of the 1.5 weeks was to develop muscle memory for the MBEs and essays. My MBE overall scores only hovered around 60%, and I definitely wasn't getting 70s on my graded assignments (even though I did them open book). My goal, which I truly believe is a good one, was to make my response to MBEs and essays as reflexive as possible. By test time, I was on cruise control. I don't think I was really thinking much during the essays; everything just kind of reflexively spewed out.

One thing I didn't mention in the earlier thread is that one day in those 1.5 weeks was wasted due to the need for a mental holiday after I had what felt like an anxiety attack. Fortunately, it didn't affect me in the long run, but it sure did at the time. One day felt so precious then.

Hope that helps! And good luck!

redblueyellow

Postby redblueyellow » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:35 pm

Just to clarify, we have like 3 weeks left, not 2. Otherwise I need to start panicking right now.

EDIT: You might have been asking how to specifically manage the last two weeks, not that we have two weeks left. Whew.

BarZombie

Postby BarZombie » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:12 pm

Thanks for the kind responses.

Yes. We do have three (3) weeks left...I asked now so I can get a vibe for what others have done so I can map out a strategy for the last two (2) weeks...didn't intend to freak anyone out.

I'm sure everyone has been tweaking their schedule as they are going along...I had planned to do 200 real property MBEs today...only got through 1/2...the fact patterns are exhausting when added to the explanations.

One observation...scores improve only to a point it seems on the MBE...I hit the day strong and do well...toward the end of the day fatigue sets in and I make dumb mistakes or don't reason through the elimination Qs as well...and Bam! ...right in the middle of the curve...not complaining...but there are diminishing returns...if I averaged my AM MBEs v PM MBEs...a night and day difference...together...ok.

My general sense is there needs to be a war plan and some balance for the last two (2) weeks regardless of where you are in bar review...without frying out.

TheLegalOne

Postby TheLegalOne » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:21 am

BarZombie wrote:Thanks for the kind responses.

Yes. We do have three (3) weeks left...I asked now so I can get a vibe for what others have done so I can map out a strategy for the last two (2) weeks...didn't intend to freak anyone out.

I'm sure everyone has been tweaking their schedule as they are going along...I had planned to do 200 real property MBEs today...only got through 1/2...the fact patterns are exhausting when added to the explanations.

One observation...scores improve only to a point it seems on the MBE...I hit the day strong and do well...toward the end of the day fatigue sets in and I make dumb mistakes or don't reason through the elimination Qs as well...and Bam! ...right in the middle of the curve...not complaining...but there are diminishing returns...if I averaged my AM MBEs v PM MBEs...a night and day difference...together...ok.

My general sense is there needs to be a war plan and some balance for the last two (2) weeks regardless of where you are in bar review...without frying out.

My plan is to complete 50 mixed MBEs daily each morning and then review them. Then walk 2-3 miles at my favorite trail (Cali baby!) - repeating back law to myself (acting as if I am actually listening to music) then return home and complete 2 essays (pre-planned the prior day). I'll then spend an hour reviewing my responses (comparing them to Bar Essays.com). The remainder of the day, I'll go back to testing myself on the rules and methodology/approach to various subjects (using the flip charts have created - literally talking to myself) or either outlining a PT (because I am so slowww!!). How about you???!!!!

dr3wby

Postby dr3wby » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:27 pm

TheLegalOne wrote:
BarZombie wrote:Thanks for the kind responses.

My plan is to complete 50 mixed MBEs daily each morning and then review them. Then walk 2-3 miles at my favorite trail (Cali baby!) - repeating back law to myself (acting as if I am actually listening to music) then return home and complete 2 essays (pre-planned the prior day). I'll then spend an hour reviewing my responses (comparing them to Bar Essays.com). The remainder of the day, I'll go back to testing myself on the rules and methodology/approach to various subjects (using the flip charts have created - literally talking to myself) or either outlining a PT (because I am so slowww!!). How about you???!!!!

I think the 2-3 mile trail while reviewing to yourself is a great idea.

While I was studying, I used to do a few hours in the morning then walk down to the beach reviewing the law in my head as I went. I would think of an essay topic and just review my outline and practice it over and over.

Getting outside and feeling the sun really helped me at least to hammer in the details and break up the monotony. Plus, if you can remember the main points for all the essay topics you will be able to just drill them out onto the paper once you take the test.

wool

Postby wool » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:23 am

jonasquinn wrote:I took the February test last year, studying for it while working full time. You are way ahead of where I was going into February in terms of practice (I had done hardly any except for graded assigned essays from my bar course, Barpassers). Luckily, I had 1.5 weeks off leading up to the exam. Also, full disclosure, I posted almost verbatim what I'm posting here in another thread, but it seemed relevant to what you are asking about.

To start, I would never recommend what I went through the last 1.5 weeks as a plan, but most of what I did, I feel, is at least necessary to pass.

Though the assignment schedule didn't call for this, I had to schedule my study plan in this manner because I had fallen behind. That schedule during the 1.5 weeks consisted of spending one full day for each MBE subject, doing about 300 MBEs per subject. The MBEs were less daunting at the time because Barpassers has online software to practice MBEs.

Once those six days were done, I moved on to the essays. I didn't write any full essays except for the assignments. Instead, I focused on the first 15 min. of essay writing---the first read, the re-read, and outline. My outlines were fairly detailed, including the statements of law and the elements that needed discussion, but I also included relevant facts (or at least noted them). I did this during the remaining days for every essay provided for every subject, except remedies (b/c remedies wasn't supposed to be on the Feb. 2014 exam... but it was!). I might've sprinkled in some MBEs during this time, but not much.

I stopped studying around noon on the Monday before the test. I wanted and tried to study, but was too exhausted. The AM consisted of some review of my outlines, model answers, and MBEs that I had already done. The PM was vegetation. I feel that the importance of the 1.5 weeks was to develop muscle memory for the MBEs and essays. My MBE overall scores only hovered around 60%, and I definitely wasn't getting 70s on my graded assignments (even though I did them open book). My goal, which I truly believe is a good one, was to make my response to MBEs and essays as reflexive as possible. By test time, I was on cruise control. I don't think I was really thinking much during the essays; everything just kind of reflexively spewed out.

One thing I didn't mention in the earlier thread is that one day in those 1.5 weeks was wasted due to the need for a mental holiday after I had what felt like an anxiety attack. Fortunately, it didn't affect me in the long run, but it sure did at the time. One day felt so precious then.

Hope that helps! And good luck!

^^ Thank you for this

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”