What makes property MBE so difficult?

kraeton

What makes property MBE so difficult?

Postby kraeton » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:06 am

Property is the only MBE subject that I've yet to even touch so far. Can i get a quick rundown on what makes it apparently so difficult, and any tips on how should I approach the subject? I've read random tidbits about it, but other than the questions being absurdly long, not sure I got a coherent sense of what makes it so hard.

Thanks

dr3wby

Re: What makes property MBE so difficult?

Postby dr3wby » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:38 pm

kraeton wrote:Property is the only MBE subject that I've yet to even touch so far. Can i get a quick rundown on what makes it apparently so difficult, and any tips on how should I approach the subject? I've read random tidbits about it, but other than the questions being absurdly long, not sure I got a coherent sense of what makes it so hard.

Thanks

The questions are long and deal with harder topics. Questions on mortgages, easements, and deeds are generally less enjoyable to do and more draining when you practice.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:43 pm

The subject matter is just much more archaic and inaccessible, with far dryer facts. Also, the questions tend to be the longest, and with multiple tiny details that are hard to keep track of.

Keep in mind that MBE success doesn't require that you master every subject. I realized pretty fast that I was terrible at property, and so I spend a long time focusing on it and trying to improve. But to no avail. Whereas that same time investment was pushing my scores noticeably higher in other subject areas. So I realized that my time was better spent on other subjects. I went into the actual test knowing just a bare minimum level of property, but feeling very good about the other subjects. And I ended up doing very well.

Moral of the story is to really try and hammer it at the beginning. But if you just really aren't getting it, don't waste valuable time studying something that truly isn't going to stick.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:44 pm

so much stupid fucking deed and mortgage and lien priority bullshit

abogadesq

Postby abogadesq » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:34 pm

So far I actually find contracts harder. Ironically, I did better in contracts than real property in law school...which means nothing.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:42 pm

fats provolone wrote:so much stupid fucking deed and mortgage and lien priority bullshit

Which, if you can understand a PMSI versus a non-PMSI mortgage ("second" mortgage), the rules on priority are actually very easy. What is hard as FUCK is reading the question both quickly and accurately and catching EVERY detail concerning the timeline. I missed so many stupid questions that would go on and on and on and on and on and on... and on.. and on and on and on.... and on.... about future interests, or equitable title or whatever, and all of a sudden the question is about who has foreclosure priority and I get it wrong because I missed one stupid three-word phrase, the only relevant phrase in the entire question, buried in the middle of the third paragraph.

Same thing happens with contracts. You waste such a godawful long amount of time just reading the question and re-reading it because you can't focus for the whole question and have to keep snapping yourself back into it, and you understand the rule perfectly, but you get the question wrong because the most important info is buried.

I cannot stress enough how much I hated that exam. The feeling of entitlement that the Property and Contracts question authors have to just write needlessly long questions on easy topics pissed me off so hard.

aretoodeetoo

Postby aretoodeetoo » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:44 pm

property is the worst.

redblueyellow

Postby redblueyellow » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:02 pm

I've been guessing blindly on Kaplan's contracts every now and then and I somehow get them right more than half of the time, but I'm definitely a lot more ??? on K questions than property.

Property in law school was the worst, K was OK. But almost flipped on the bar.

Evidence is by far the worst when you try to figure out every hearsay exception and can't exactly figure out what's being asked of the evidence being presented for evidence. The answer is usually hearsay without an exception or hearsay but with xyz exception, and I usually pick the wrong one of those two.

Elms

Postby Elms » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:33 pm

redblueyellow wrote:I've been guessing blindly on Kaplan's contracts every now and then and I somehow get them right more than half of the time, but I'm definitely a lot more ??? on K questions than property.

Property in law school was the worst, K was OK. But almost flipped on the bar.

Evidence is by far the worst when you try to figure out every hearsay exception and can't exactly figure out what's being asked of the evidence being presented for evidence. The answer is usually hearsay without an exception or hearsay but with xyz exception, and I usually pick the wrong one of those two.

I also hate evidence he most.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”