Strategies and Tactics MBE Question Difficulty

MichBar

Strategies and Tactics MBE Question Difficulty

Postby MichBar » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:48 pm

Can those who have taken the bar (or preparing for it) offer any insights on the question difficulty inside the Emmanuel Strategies and Tactics MBE book? I'm told that these are actually previously released bar questions but I'm doing significantly better on these vs. the bar prep MBE questions. Are the questions in this Tactics book too easy or are they more representative of the real thing than Kaplan MPQ's?

Dan1220

Re: Strategies and Tactics MBE Question Difficulty

Postby Dan1220 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:44 pm

Kaplan MBE q's are made to be more difficult than the real deal. They pretty much remove all the softball q's and also have longer fact patterns on average.

cndounda1985

Postby cndounda1985 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:15 pm

I believe the NCBEx questions and the ones directly from Strategies and Tactics are closer to the actual MBE. The bar examiners are moving away from long MBE questions and they are much shorter. At least they were when I took CA last year.

MichBar

Postby MichBar » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:28 pm

I scored 76% right on the Strategies and Tactics final exam the other day but just did the free 21 questions on the NCBE website and got half of them wrong. I don't know what the deal is or if I'm just MBE'ed out and need a break. I've done almost 1500 Kaplan QBank problems and am at 62% total on all of those. On a given 33 question set I get anything from 58-64% right on average. I don't know how to interpret all this.

I'm having one of those "I'm doomed, the sky is falling" days.

gaagoots

Postby gaagoots » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:21 am

MichBar wrote:I scored 76% right on the Strategies and Tactics final exam the other day but just did the free 21 questions on the NCBE website and got half of them wrong. I don't know what the deal is or if I'm just MBE'ed out and need a break. I've done almost 1500 Kaplan QBank problems and am at 62% total on all of those. On a given 33 question set I get anything from 58-64% right on average. I don't know how to interpret all this.

I'm having one of those "I'm doomed, the sky is falling" days.

I have bad box checking days and really good box checking days. Some of Kaplans are like the released from Adapti but much more blather making the fact patterns longer. I do much better on the "quick fire grill questions " rather than the full blown course ones. I own the mortgage ones since I know we will get hit hard with them.

Grapes

Postby Grapes » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:50 pm

I got a 159.5 on the MBE.

I got a raw 176 on Strategies and Tactics practice MBE

And i got a stinkin raw 110 on the Barbri MBE

So I'd say Strategies and Tactics is slightly easier than the real MBE but way more accurate in difficulty than BARBRI.

MichBar

Postby MichBar » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:16 pm

Grapes, that was a scaled score you got on the actual MBE, correct? Meaning your raw was anywhere from 10-20 under that? That's what I suspected that the real deal is somewhere between S&T and the bar company midterm and finals.

Kaplan said "normal" for their midterm was between 115-120 and for the final in a couple weeks is between 120-125 raw. They then estimate to add 15 points to the raw for a realistic scaled score. Since 135 is passing, I'm looking at a 120 on their final as an absolute bottom and nothing to get too excited about. I got a 119 on the midterm but barely finished in time due to their purposely long fact patterns. Apparently up till recently their final was harder than their midterm, now it looks like the final is slightly easier.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”