Anyone Hand Writing their essays?

iowaguy

Anyone Hand Writing their essays?

Postby iowaguy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:00 am

Is it suicide?

nvbar2015

Re: Anyone Hand Writing their essays?

Postby nvbar2015 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:06 pm

I accidentally signed up to handwrite the July 2014 NV bar and failed by 1.6 points. I attempted to hire a tutor, and he read my essays and told me I didn't need him. Worse, he told me that I would have likely passed had I typed the exam. He says graders are harder on hand writers. He says I would have likely had a few more points added to each essay, which would have pushed me over the edge.

One of the issues I had hand writing were, organization. There was one essay in particular where I realized I forgot an issue about halfway through and had to cross stuff out, number stuff. Total disaster. Also, the MPT was tough writing it.

Elms

Postby Elms » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:23 pm

I will be handwriting for CA in Feb 2015.

I handwrote IL July 2012 and passed.

I don't think it's suicide, and, honestly, I think all of the speculation over graders going harder or easier on handwriters is just that = speculation.

I like handwriting because I don't have to worry about computer/software issues. For me, this would be a big worry/headache.

Also, I find that handwriting forces me to think more carefully about my organization and plan of attack. I type much faster than I write, but I am a much better THINKER when I'm handwriting. Instead of word vomiting, I find I consider things carefully.

The bottom line is, there are pros and cons to both methods. If you are handwriting, don't worry about it being "suicide." Just figure out the best way to make it work well for you.

And a tip = leave a blank line between each line you write for your essay. It makes your work look neater, and gives you space to insert things later on, should you realize you forgot something.

Good luck!

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:01 pm

I handwrote the July 2014 NY exam and passed. I actually signed up to type it on the computer, but 15 minutes before the start of the morning session, my computer crashed and I had to handwrite the test. I think handwriting actually helped me because it forced me to make a decision about what I was going to write- and then be committed to that decision because I knew I didn't have the time or ability to copy/paste and re-write. Plus I know of a person who typed the exam, but didn't click on a a new page for each question in the AM session.

I agree wit the leave extra space between lines, in case you run out/ need more space.

What really helped me was actually practicing handwriting an answer response for 3 consecutive essays, under timed conditions. That way, should you actually need to handwrite the test you have the confidence in actually doing it.

bklynattorney

Postby bklynattorney » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:36 am

northwood wrote:I handwrote the July 2014 NY exam and passed. I actually signed up to type it on the computer, but 15 minutes before the start of the morning session, my computer crashed and I had to handwrite the test. I think handwriting actually helped me because it forced me to make a decision about what I was going to write- and then be committed to that decision because I knew I didn't have the time or ability to copy/paste and re-write. Plus I know of a person who typed the exam, but didn't click on a a new page for each question in the AM session.

I agree wit the leave extra space between lines, in case you run out/ need more space.

What really helped me was actually practicing handwriting an answer response for 3 consecutive essays, under timed conditions. That way, should you actually need to handwrite the test you have the confidence in actually doing it.

I also signed up to handwrite July 2014 NY and passed. Note, I scored below the national average for MBE, so had to have done pretty well on essays and/or NY multiple choice (I actually felt good about that) and/or MPT. I signed up to use a computer paid for the software, but there were no computer seats left for NYC when I logged in to sign up for a test location and I wasn't taking the exam anywhere else due to financial reasons.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”