IRAC v. CRAC for MEE

think1st

IRAC v. CRAC for MEE

Postby think1st » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:21 pm

hi guys
I am taking Feb 2015 D.C. Bar.

I was told that DC MEE uses CRAC form but keep getting advice that IRAC is the correct form the MEE graders seek.

So,

IRAC or CRAC?
or does it depend on the jurisdictions?

thx and good luck to you all

underthirty

Re: IRAC v. CRAC for MEE

Postby underthirty » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:24 am

Last edited by underthirty on Sat May 30, 2015 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LAWYER2

Postby LAWYER2 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:51 pm

I was told to use IRAC from Kaplan and Barbri, but it seemed like I got better grades when I used CRAC. I think its just something about boldly and definitively saying what will, won't, or should happen. Plus, often times, you'll know the Issue, but not necessarily know how to show it. By boldly making a conclusion it mentally forces you to prove it in your analysis. End your conclusion by: therefore, as such, or as a result, and repeat your opening conclusion, its gives the reader/grader less work to do.
Last edited by LAWYER2 on Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iowaguy

Postby iowaguy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:59 am

I'd say that it depends on if you handwrite or type it. If you type it, crac is fine. You can always go back and change it before you submit it. But if you handwrite it, then you might write yourself into a corner where you realize that you reached the wrong conclusion when you started writing.

That's what the lectures I've listened to said anyways.

Grapes

Postby Grapes » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:47 pm

Neither. I think CIRAC is the correct choice. but i've passed essays using CIRAC and just plain ole IRAC.

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:53 pm

CIRAC with the first conclusion being a very basic answer. You can see MEE sample answers from the test writers and they always start with a conclusion.

mpwildcat4life

Postby mpwildcat4life » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:53 pm

Does any one know if you need to put the words "conclusion" before stating your conclusion for every section of a question or can we just start with overall,... in a separate paragraph?

Also should we label with sub heading in the answer? For example: for diversity jurisdiction should i have a separate header for complete diversity and minimum amount in controversy or combine them all into one paragraph?

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:11 pm

well MEE really doesnt have multiple issues from what i remember, so just one heading is usually appropriate and 8 sentences-ish. If there are multiple issues though, you should have different headings. One heading for each conclusion. It's prolly easiest to have the Heading be the ulimate conclusion

Jenny Is Not Guilty of Manslaughter

Jenny is not guilty of manslaughter because she did not do X and Y (legal conclusions.)

The issue is _____________. Manslaughter is a [RULE]. In jenny's case, [facts]. Therefore, [restate conclusion].

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”