Advice - February NYBX

JoanSloan

Advice - February NYBX

Postby JoanSloan » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:20 am

Last edited by JoanSloan on Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thelawyerguy

Re: Advice - February NYBX

Postby thelawyerguy » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:29 am

I think it's very attainable but it's not going to be fun with your work schedule.

How are you studying your MBE Questions? What was your MBE score for June? How did you study for the MBE for June (you don't want to do the same thing and hope for a different outcome)?

You should be doing a set, going over them, and reviewing every question (even those you got right).
For any question you got wrong or any question you got right but for the wrong reason (i.e. you got lucky), start a word document that contains the correct legal rule. For example, if you got a question wrong and the right answer required the correct application of the legal requirements of arson, write down the legal rule for arson in the word document.

Review the word document of all the legal rules you missed before doing each set of MBE questions. It might take a little bit, but it will start to click. Finally, you should try to do as many MBE questions before the exam.

encore1101

Postby encore1101 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:35 am

My MBE score went from below 50% raw on the BarBri midterm to 158 scaled on the actual exam just doing practice questions for three weeks.

How are you approaching each question? If you're just blindly doing MBE questions, you're probably only going to see minimal improvement. It's more arduous, but make sure that you evaluate each answer choice, and, at least in the beginning, say out loud why each answer choice is wrong or right. Try to avoid picking an answer because it just seems right, or similarly, excluding an answer because it just seems wrong. Instead, make sure that you're really getting the reasoning behind it. It sounds silly, but saying it out loud to yourself will help you retain it.

If there's a particular topic or concept that you're consistently getting wrong and not improving, re-read the material in the supplemental outlines or BarBri lectures and try to understand why you're getting them wrong -- is it a memorization issue, or is it that you don't understand the concepts behind the law/terminology, etc?

JoanSloan

Postby JoanSloan » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:34 pm

Last edited by JoanSloan on Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

encore1101

Postby encore1101 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:14 pm

Are those AMP modules those questions that you do over and over until you get the same "question" (albeit differently worded) three times in a row or something? I stopped doing those. I found myself learning more of recognizing the words of the answer, or what the answer looked like, more than the actual law.

If you're getting the reasoning generally right, but the question wrong, try to figure out where the hiccup is. Are you misreading the question? Overanalyzing what they're asking for or bringing in outside facts? I agree that BarBri testing on the exceptions can be frustrating, but try to mentally boil it down in your head to make sure that you're getting the general rule down then know its an exception. What you don't want to happen is to think that the exception is the general rule.

Honestly, every individual is different so you're in the best position to know what works best for you. I know that just doing rote memorization doesn't work for me because I learn the law best from application. I don't learn well just in the abstract. So in that sense, doing 1000 more questions was helpful for me. I bought the Critical Pass flashcards, but quickly got resold them when I found they weren't helpful, due to my own learning style. Same with just writing notes -- it helps somewhat because I'm synthesizing material if its a lecture, but if I'm just copying something by hand that's in a book or on the computer, I'm not actually learning anything.

For the essays, I honestly think that they're more issue spotting than knowing the applicable law, or at least equal. My inadvertent strategy was knowing one subject cold (Criminal Law), and knowing the basic overalls of each other topic. Even if I ended up getting it completely wrong, I'm sure I put forth a plausible argument which netted me some points.

Good luck!!

thelawyerguy

Postby thelawyerguy » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:57 pm

I wouldn't go back to a memorization only strategy for 2 reasons - it didn't work for the last exam and you say your issues aren't with the law but applying it to the question. Just memorizing the law isn't going to help you with applying the law to the questions. You should do as many MBE questions as you can, 1500-2000 before the Feb exam.

What were your essay scores last time? Do you need a whole month to prep for the essays?

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”