Reviewing my July Bar Exam, confused and annoyed.... advice? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
BobbyBooBoo

New

Reviewing my July Bar Exam, confused and annoyed.... advice?

Post by BobbyBooBoo » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:10 pm

Hi everyone,

So I did a scaled MBE of 1461 and a scaled written of 1240 (yes very bad)

Q1 50
Q2 50
Q3 50
Q4 55
Q5 50
Q6 75
PTA 55
PTB 55

Here's the thing, I was so sure I did better on the written exam than on the MBE. I thought I did great on the essays except for evidence and community property.

I compared my answers with Barbri's answers and on remedies and professional responsibility I hit about 80% of everything Barbri thought I should hit and I had a lot of extra arguments regarding other issues. Same with the question on professional responsibility and reviewing my answers on the PT they seem relatively well too.

I'm looking through my answers and checking it with model answers from bar review programs, and I feel like I shouldn't have gotten so many 50s, especially on the remedies issue.

I know I can't challenge on the basis of merit; but I hit the issues! I argued them, and I didn't get the law wrong.
I don't understand how I got a 75 for torts, when I hit a lot less issues on torts then I did on the other ones.

I wish I knew what I did wrong, because the 2nd time around, I'm going to be doing the same thing.

It's also so weird they gave me a 55 on Q4 when I am sure after reviewing and comparing answers that my Q4 answer is so much worse than the rest, except for Q2.

Am I just blinded by bias? I really don't think so...

thelawyerguy

New

Re: Reviewing my July Bar Exam, confused and annoyed.... advice?

Post by thelawyerguy » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:26 pm

I'm not sure what state this is but in any event, can you post one or two of your essays (if you're allowed to)? Doing well on the essays isn't just about hitting issue but also making sure you write them in a way that's easy to grade. Since you consistently got 50's, I'm guessing there's something off about your writing style.

BobbyBooBoo

New

Post by BobbyBooBoo » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:40 pm

thelawyerguy wrote:I'm not sure what state this is but in any event, can you post one or two of your essays (if you're allowed to)? Doing well on the essays isn't just about hitting issue but also making sure you write them in a way that's easy to grade. Since you consistently got 50's, I'm guessing there's something off about your writing style.
I did list everything more clearly in my tort answer, when I get access to a scanner, and if I'm allowed to, I'll post a few of my essays.

Silver

Post by 2807 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:08 pm

Post an essay. Let's see where the problem is.
That many 50's indicates a serious consistent problem.
Is it writing style or knowledge of the law??
We will see....

Also, read this: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 9&start=50
Start on page 3, follow my Harley logo and the conversations.
See if this approach will help you.

Come on back...

lawladylaw

New

Post by lawladylaw » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:33 pm

2807 wrote:
Also, read this: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 9&start=50
Start on page 3, follow my Harley logo and the conversations.
See if this approach will help you.
Just read through the older thread you linked to. Very helpful. Thank you!

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:40 pm

the bar exam isnt an issue spotting an exam. more of an organization exam. they want to see that you identify one relevant issue first. then you cite the correct relevant rules for that issue in a general to specific approach. apply the law to your facts. restate the conclusion. also use headings with a basic conclusion in it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”