CA and NY Bars? When to take?

PinkPolo

CA and NY Bars? When to take?

Postby PinkPolo » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:23 am

Hi all,

Unfortunately, I need to take both the CA and NY bars. My firm wants me to spend a year or so at their HQ in NY before shipping out to CA.
It's my understanding (which could be completely wrong) that I can't take both at the same time nor should I try to. That being said, when would be the best time to take the CA bar? I need to take NY in July, so I can start work in the Fall, but is it realistic to assume I can juggle work and studying for the February CA bar?
Any advice, suggestions, help?

Thanks everyone

5ky

Re: CA and NY Bars? When to take?

Postby 5ky » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:39 pm

PinkPolo wrote:Hi all,

Unfortunately, I need to take both the CA and NY bars. My firm wants me to spend a year or so at their HQ in NY before shipping out to CA.
It's my understanding (which could be completely wrong) that I can't take both at the same time nor should I try to. That being said, when would be the best time to take the CA bar? I need to take NY in July, so I can start work in the Fall, but is it realistic to assume I can juggle work and studying for the February CA bar?

Thanks everyone

That's kind of weird, and you should ask them what they want you to do. But I would just skip NY and take CA. If you're only going to be in NY for a year, you won't event get officially admitted until the last half of your year anyway.

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:54 pm

Yeah you probably won't actually be doing anything that constitutes the practice of law as a first year, so you should ask if you can just get by with CA.

If not, and you really need to take the NY bar, I'd try to take the CA bar in February. If anything goes wrong, you'll have another chance in July.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:37 pm

PinkPolo wrote:Hi all,

Thanks everyone

Haven't taken the CA bar, but I wouldn't have taken the NY bar unless I absolutely needed to... Even if you have all your paperwork ready to go when you find out you pass the bar in NY and submit the next morning, you still likely won't be admitted until January (unless you're in a certain dept. and lucky), and in reality, given how long it takes to collect all the crazy character affidavits, pro bono forms, etc., most likely won't get sworn in until February or March.

If for some bizarre business reason they are absolutely unwilling to negotiate, I think it's possible to take the CA one while working (esp. if they give you some vacay time off for bar studying which my firm does). Just keep the MBE knowledge fresh and that wipes out a giant chunk of your bar studying, and hammer home CA law that gets you the most points.

Actus Reus

Postby Actus Reus » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:26 pm

Take CA, waive into DC, then use DC's reciprocity to get New York on a waiver after a few years.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”