2015 February California Bar Exam

BobbyBooBoo

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby BobbyBooBoo » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:45 pm

Anyone else expecting either a civil procedure or california civil procedure essay prompt?

I imagine because they are introducing federal civil pro. for the first time on the MBE, they may tackle on Cal. civil procedure as an essay, it'd be the first time they test both.

zabagabe

Postby zabagabe » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:45 pm

redblueyellow wrote:
CourtneyElizabeth wrote:
redblueyellow wrote:Does anyone know how to convert the MBE score from its scaled to raw version for last July?

Nope. I'm convinced it's some type of sorcery.

Oh. How do we know how well we did in terms of an approximate raw score? I have no idea what my score means, or how much I need to "improve" in order to get a decent writing score and pass.

zabagabe wrote:Hi all! A quick and perhaps silly Q for prior takers: for the PT days, do they give you actual hard copy materials to work with even if you're taking it on your laptop?

Yup, you'll get paper copies. Nothing on the computer actually.

I am not sure how accurate this is, but it purports to let you enter in your PT and Essay scores and # correct on the MBE to estimate whether you achieve a passing score: http://one-timers.com/calculate-your-fi ... exam-grade

BobbyBooBoo

Postby BobbyBooBoo » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:49 pm

The night before the exam, I have a plan A and a plan B and a plan C.

Plan A: Stay up and study all night, survive the exam with a ton of coffee.

Plan B: Take some OTC sleeping pills, to help me sleep my 8 hours. However, sometimes I get a side effect of tiredness/grogginess that lasts until afternoon when I take pills.

Plan C: Try to fall asleep (drug free), most likely won't fall asleep until 4-5am and I'll end up getting roughly 3 hours. I can't even sleep for hours now due to stress, and it's about 5 days away.

I'm thinking Plan A feels best.

Any thoughts on what I should try to do?

I really don't feel like there's anyway that i'll sleep more than 5 hours that night without some drug to sedate me. Yeah I know, I shouldn't stress, but can't help but stress. Since stress will keep me up, I figured I might as well be productive and not sleep at all. Besides it feels pretty horrible to wake up on 3-5 hours of sleep, more horrible than not sleeping at all.

underthirty

Postby underthirty » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:11 pm

Last edited by underthirty on Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

redblueyellow

Postby redblueyellow » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:14 pm

zabagabe wrote:
redblueyellow wrote:
CourtneyElizabeth wrote:
redblueyellow wrote:Does anyone know how to convert the MBE score from its scaled to raw version for last July?

Oh. How do we know how well we did in terms of an approximate raw score? I have no idea what my score means, or how much I need to "improve" in order to get a decent writing score and pass.

zabagabe wrote:Hi all! A quick and perhaps silly Q for prior takers: for the PT days, do they give you actual hard copy materials to work with even if you're taking it on your laptop?

Yup, you'll get paper copies. Nothing on the computer actually.

I am not sure how accurate this is, but it purports to let you enter in your PT and Essay scores and # correct on the MBE to estimate whether you achieve a passing score: http://one-timers.com/calculate-your-fi ... exam-grade

I saw that as well (thank you, though!) but it asks for the MBE Raw portion. I know I could guesstimate, but I'm so confused as to the score, where I'm plugging and chugging random MBE raw values to get close to the score I scored on the exam. But, since all the exams are scored individually with their own curves, I don't know how accurate this would be :/

redblueyellow

Postby redblueyellow » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:19 pm

BobbyBooBoo wrote:The night before the exam, I have a plan A and a plan B and a plan C.

Plan A: Stay up and study all night, survive the exam with a ton of coffee.

I'm definitely doing this.

flpngino

Postby flpngino » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:21 pm

redblueyellow wrote:
CourtneyElizabeth wrote:

What you need in terms of raw score obviously changes, but I was told to shoot for around 135 raw minimum. Of course, this was before MF'in Civ Pro. Who knows what that will do to scores.

BAHAHAWHYTHISAGAIN

Postby BAHAHAWHYTHISAGAIN » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:24 pm

I passed the Florida bar in July and am taking California and am not a happy camper. People keep telling me "oh you passed once you can do it again"

THERE ARE SO MANY ESSAYS I DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH MY LIFE.

Been trying to write and outline and write again.

My PTs have been solid, but I don't know how many I should do?

I feel like I was too confident this time around and now feel like I know nothing at all.

MBE PLEASE BE NICE. :shock:

I guess I need some calming before I have an aneurism.
Last edited by BAHAHAWHYTHISAGAIN on Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zabagabe

Postby zabagabe » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:29 pm

flpngino wrote:
redblueyellow wrote:
CourtneyElizabeth wrote:

What you need in terms of raw score obviously changes, but I was told to shoot for around 135 raw minimum. Of course, this was before MF'in Civ Pro. Who knows what that will do to scores.

That website says the minimum is 128 down at the bottom of the page. My general sense is that passing is somewhere around 67% right.

There's also this: http://one-timers.com/wp-content/upload ... -Chart.pdf

Evaly

Postby Evaly » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:52 pm

Anyone familiar with the Burlingame Crown Plaza testing location?

I am wondering if there is a place to buy lunch other than at the hotel restaurant? Feel free to PM me with the info. Thanks.

BobbyBooBoo

Postby BobbyBooBoo » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:17 pm

Evidence Question:

For impeachment under prior misconduct, no extrinsic evidence allowed for specific instances.

Is that rule also the same for impeachment under prior felony convictions? The attorney may only question, but may not impeach through extrinsic evidence.

TheLegalOne

Postby TheLegalOne » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:26 pm

I attempted to back out of the CA exam today. No luck!! Feb 10th was the last day to cancel. I don't care about zero % refund. They would not let me cancel it at all. I'll have to be a no show. I'm feeling screwed, either way, at this point. If I don't take it, I get a zero reported to my law school. Super frustrating, I can't seem to recall much of anything - I mean, not even the generic, fluffy opening statements. Aargh!!! If I take it, I'll be that person complaining the entire time. My apologies to my seat-mates in advance.

CourtneyElizabeth

Postby CourtneyElizabeth » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:31 pm

TheLegalOne wrote:I attempted to back out of the CA exam today. No luck!! Feb 10th was the last day to cancel. I don't care about zero % refund. They would not let me cancel it at all. I'll have to be a no show. I'm feeling screwed, either way, at this point. If I don't take it, I get a zero reported to my law school. Super frustrating, I can't seem to recall much of anything - I mean, not even the generic, fluffy opening statements. Aargh!!! If I take it, I'll be that person complaining the entire time. My apologies to my seat-mates in advance.

One of my tutors students took the first day of the test and left in tears because she was convinced she failed and didn't show up the rest of the test. She got her grades back and she got 70's and above on the essays and PTs. My point is, you don't know how well you're going to do. It's a crap shoot. Just give it your best and don't give up.

TheLegalOne

Postby TheLegalOne » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:36 pm

CourtneyElizabeth wrote:
TheLegalOne wrote:I attempted to back out of the CA exam today. No luck!! Feb 10th was the last day to cancel. I don't care about zero % refund. They would not let me cancel it at all. I'll have to be a no show. I'm feeling screwed, either way, at this point. If I don't take it, I get a zero reported to my law school. Super frustrating, I can't seem to recall much of anything - I mean, not even the generic, fluffy opening statements. Aargh!!! If I take it, I'll be that person complaining the entire time. My apologies to my seat-mates in advance.

One of my tutors students took the first day of the test and left in tears because she was convinced she failed and didn't show up the rest of the test. She got her grades back and she got 70's and above on the essays and PTs. My point is, you don't know how well you're going to do. It's a crap shoot. Just give it your best and don't give up.

Thanks CourtneyElizabeth! I was actually returning to delete this post. I know we need to remain positive. I'm sure others may be feeling like me but I guess this is not the place for me to be venting. We all need to push until the end. But, I seriously did try to cancel today. Anyway, It was nice to see your positive response. I appreciate it!

Elms

Postby Elms » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:38 pm

CourtneyElizabeth wrote:

When I took IL I thought I failed after the first day and went home and drank an entire bottle of wine. The next day I was like what the hell and went and did the MBE. Then I went home and drank another bottle of wine and ordered so much sushi that they delivered it with three sets of chopsticks.

I'm not sure what the moral of this story is other than I need to go stock up on red wine before next week.

TheLegalOne

Postby TheLegalOne » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:45 pm

Elms wrote:
CourtneyElizabeth wrote:

When I took IL I thought I failed after the first day and went home and drank an entire bottle of wine. The next day I was like what the hell and went and did the MBE. Then I went home and drank another bottle of wine and ordered so much sushi that they delivered it with three sets of chopsticks.

I'm not sure what the moral of this story is other than I need to go stock up on red wine before next week.

LOL!!!!!

morescotchplease

Postby morescotchplease » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:57 pm

Elms wrote:
CourtneyElizabeth wrote:

I'm not prepared much but I already packed a bottle of scotch in my bag.

morescotchplease

Postby morescotchplease » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:04 am

On one of my graded essays for Wills, the grader noted that I should go through the prima facie undue influence test not the other ones (common law, statutory). What do you guys think?

BobbyBooBoo

Postby BobbyBooBoo » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:08 am

morescotchplease wrote:On one of my graded essays for Wills, the grader noted that I should go through the prima facie undue influence test not the other ones (common law, statutory). What do you guys think?

Impossible to say without knowing the question.

Elms

Postby Elms » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:09 am

morescotchplease wrote:I'm not prepared much but I already packed a bottle of scotch in my bag.

Excellent choice.

Elms

Postby Elms » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:10 am

BobbyBooBoo wrote:
morescotchplease wrote:On one of my graded essays for Wills, the grader noted that I should go through the prima facie undue influence test not the other ones (common law, statutory). What do you guys think?

I dunno but all the sample essays I've seen the writer went through all three kinds, so that's what I was planning on doing.

morescotchplease

Postby morescotchplease » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:22 am

Elms wrote:
BobbyBooBoo wrote:

I dunno but all the sample essays I've seen the writer went through all three kinds, so that's what I was planning on doing.

same. What these essay graders point out in the essay and what consistently get high marks on baressays.com are completely off. I swear I wanted to copy an essay that scored 80+ on baressays word for word and see what the essay grader would've given me.

s1m4

Postby s1m4 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:48 am

Real talk : should we be prepared to right an essay on water rights (property)? I have the basic understanding, but don't want to cram the different tests.. What are you guys doing?

CourtneyElizabeth

Postby CourtneyElizabeth » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:06 am

morescotchplease wrote:
Elms wrote:
BobbyBooBoo wrote:

same. What these essay graders point out in the essay and what consistently get high marks on baressays.com are completely off. I swear I wanted to copy an essay that scored 80+ on baressays word for word and see what the essay grader would've given me.

That's hilarious this question came up - I JUST emailed my tutor about an hour or so ago and asked her what to do because the older answers only address one, but the newer ones seem to analyze under all three approaches. I'll let you know what she says! (Then you all owe me $200).

gaagoots

Postby gaagoots » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:13 am

My tutor said the same thing. I guess if you can prove it up under prima facie why bother with the other two. I know Saki said all 3, I think Prof. Sheff said all three but I'm going with the tutors advice unless statutory is applicable based on the facts.

I was thinking of packing wine but now I'm considering tequila.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”