2015 February California Bar Exam

User avatar
MURPH
Posts: 854
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:20 am

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby MURPH » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:55 pm

That is right Law Junky. I do a lot of typing in the first two hours. After getting some practice at this the result is an answer that looks unhurried and well organized. While doing it you are as busy as a beaver, writing things down, organizing, copying/cutting and pasting, etc. But I am confident that I didn't miss any big issues because my answers are organized around the call of the questions. I am also sure that I cited every law, case and evidence source because if I leave one out then I have a straggler at the end that I haven't cut and pasted and it is obvious to me that i need to mention it somewhere.

The most important thing is not to do it my way but to do a lot of practice tests so you can do it your way.

kdesq
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:50 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby kdesq » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:00 pm

Would anyone share your experience with Barmax? I used Barbri this summer and was overwhelmed with it. I already ordered the books for Feb but I am not going to waste my time in listening to their lectures. I am considering more concise lectures which will refresh my memories while not taking too much time. Any thoughts?

Carryon
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 7:47 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby Carryon » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:02 pm

kdesq wrote:Would anyone share your experience with Barmax? I used Barbri this summer and was overwhelmed with it. I already ordered the books for Feb but I am not going to waste my time in listening to their lectures. I am considering more concise lectures which will refresh my memories while not taking too much time. Any thoughts?


I took Barmax. Its ok. The best thing about it is that it is less expensive than Barbri. I don't think that it is better though. The lectures are all audio. Probably the barbri conviser mini review book would be just as good. I agree with not wasting your time on lectures. Instead, it would be best to practice taking exams.

kdesq
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:50 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby kdesq » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:37 pm

Carryon wrote:
kdesq wrote:Would anyone share your experience with Barmax? I used Barbri this summer and was overwhelmed with it. I already ordered the books for Feb but I am not going to waste my time in listening to their lectures. I am considering more concise lectures which will refresh my memories while not taking too much time. Any thoughts?


I took Barmax. Its ok. The best thing about it is that it is less expensive than Barbri. I don't think that it is better though. The lectures are all audio. Probably the barbri conviser mini review book would be just as good. I agree with not wasting your time on lectures. Instead, it would be best to practice taking exams.


Hmmm...So should I just stick to Barbri Conviser and order Barmax MBE only? Or should I order full Barmax? I will get my new Barbri books for Feb 2015 in a few days. Yeah I am definitely NOT wasting my time in those 4-hour lectures! That totally destroyed me.

Carryon
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 7:47 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby Carryon » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:51 pm

kdesq wrote:
Carryon wrote:
kdesq wrote:Would anyone share your experience with Barmax? I used Barbri this summer and was overwhelmed with it. I already ordered the books for Feb but I am not going to waste my time in listening to their lectures. I am considering more concise lectures which will refresh my memories while not taking too much time. Any thoughts?


I took Barmax. Its ok. The best thing about it is that it is less expensive than Barbri. I don't think that it is better though. The lectures are all audio. Probably the barbri conviser mini review book would be just as good. I agree with not wasting your time on lectures. Instead, it would be best to practice taking exams.


Hmmm...So should I just stick to Barbri Conviser and order Barmax MBE only? Or should I order full Barmax? I will get my new Barbri books for Feb 2015 in a few days. Yeah I am definitely NOT wasting my time in those 4-hour lectures! That totally destroyed me.


I think you should just stick Barbri Conviser and order Barmax MBE only. Barmax is good if you did not use a bar review course, since it has outlines on all the bar exam subjects. Since you already have the Barbri outlines, I would just order the Barmax MBE only.

goku
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:21 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby goku » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:56 pm

s1m4 wrote:Can someone recommend a CA tutor that I can submit some PTs to for feedback?

Thanks a bunch.

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1678
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby a male human » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:03 pm

I've never used a tutor, but I've worked with the people at Bar Exam Toolbox (not regarding tutors) who do provide tutoring services. Check out their website and if you want an introduction, I can make one for you. Maybe a group discount is possible? I'm not sure if they are taking people at the moment though.

IIWII
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:05 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby IIWII » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:44 pm

Checking in...3rd strike here...congrats to all who passed.

After reviewing scores, a bit at a loss. Obviously, need to improve my writing, specifically PTs.

Feb 2014

Scaled written: 1394.8965
Scaled MBE: 1479
Total: 1424.33

July 2014

Scaled written: 1310.92
Scaled MBE: 1501
Total: 1377


Super frustrated that my overall and written scores went DOWN, especially considering that this time around I had two essays in the 70-range. However, both PTs this time around were lower than they were in February.

Guess I know what I need to work on...here for solidarity / suggestions on how to improve these damn PT scores. Thanks to all who have posted.

User avatar
LawJunky
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:35 am

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby LawJunky » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:17 am

MURPH wrote:That is right Law Junky. I do a lot of typing in the first two hours. After getting some practice at this the result is an answer that looks unhurried and well organized. While doing it you are as busy as a beaver, writing things down, organizing, copying/cutting and pasting, etc. But I am confident that I didn't miss any big issues because my answers are organized around the call of the questions. I am also sure that I cited every law, case and evidence source because if I leave one out then I have a straggler at the end that I haven't cut and pasted and it is obvious to me that i need to mention it somewhere.

The most important thing is not to do it my way but to do a lot of practice tests so you can do it your way.


Hello Murph,

I hope you are doing very well and you are in a position to answer my questions.

I guess I have a clarifying question. I used your method last night to write a PT under timed conditions. I wrote the objective PT from Feb 2014.

How do you narrow what you are writing about in the beginning of the fact file? About one third of what I wrote was irrelevant and I deleted it later.Or am I incorrect, and I should have left all documents in the essay?

It seems like on the Feb objective memo, it would have helped, if I wrote on the statutes first. Then everything I would have written in the file, would have involved hearsay, the subject of the statutes. Looking at the persuasive PT for Feb 2014, it does not have any statutes, so my suggestion of doing statutes first would not work. Maybe I should not write on anything contained within the first third of the file.

Next, would you say it is a requirement to write on each document in the file? Someone told me it was required that we write on all documents, and I think they must be wrong. In the Feb objective PT, there is a complaint that has nothing to do with the task memo. I wrote on that complaint, and then deleted that text as time was running out. So (I hope) you say its expected that some documents are not written in the answer.

I know that some people say that the library should be addressed first. I would like to know what you think about that idea. I like reading the facts first as its easier to understand, but maybe I should flip it around.

I found your method of doing this rather awesome and produced a very good looking paper. I am an official follower now. I just need more practice with it. I will write another PT tonight, and I was hoping to get your answers soon. Please let me know how to

Thank you very much for helping me.

gaagoots
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:01 am

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby gaagoots » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:20 am

.
Last edited by gaagoots on Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Elms
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:06 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby Elms » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:27 am

Hi, all. I haven't been on TLS since 1L (2012 grad), but after relocating to CA this year, I find myself along with all of you in the unenviable position of taking the Feb 2015 bar. I thought I'd pop in here and join the discussion, since bar study can be maddeningly lonely and it's nice to have people to bounce ideas off of.

I took and passed IL July 2012 using Barbri. This time I'm self-studying. Fingers crossed! Good luck to everyone!

User avatar
MURPH
Posts: 854
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:20 am

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby MURPH » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:30 am

Thanks Lawjunky. I am glad I could help.

When you first begin reading the fact section it can seem like a jumble of disorganized non-sense. It is a pile of unrelated facts strung together in a non-legal narrative.

So the way I dealt with it is I wrote summaries of the facts. I know a bunch of them won't be used or won't be of much use but it is easier to delete than to go back and reread and rewrite.

You won't cite every fact. but you should cite every document. So if there is a Business PT and in the first document the CFO gives a lengthy rambling statement under oath, then in the next document the CEO gives a terse vague statement, you will find a way to cite both of them. Even if you just use the CEO's statement as some kind of supporting fact for evidence derived from the CFO's statement, just get the cite in there.

I doubt anyone knows if it is 'required' that we write on every document. My suspicion is that the graders get a checklist of some sort and a point scale. It is almost certainly different for every PT. So maybe the minimum score is 45 points for writing anything. Somewhere on the list is five points for 'derives facts from multiple sources' in a unbiased essay or another five for 'able to distinguish supportive statement from harmful testimony' in a persuasive essay. The guy reading it will give you the five points if he sees that you used several sources or cited various testimony. It is hard to say.

What the grader gets might be more detailed. There could be a list of features that a 65 essay gets and a deeper list that a 70 gets. More citations from more sources certainly can't hurt your grade UNLESS your essay is a jumbled mess. But I think that if you keep tight IRAC format and get enough practice it will not be a mess. You will get a pile of facts from them in the PT and give them a nice crisp, easily gradable, legal essay in return.

I passed the Feb 14 test so I never looked at it again and do not remember it. But I know that different people find different ways to use everything. If you look at a couple of essays on baressays.com you will see that someone found a clever way to tie in that useless complaint. But don't beat yourself up over it. You don't need to get everything right. You just need to pass.

I read from front to back. There are some essays that would probably be easier if you did it another way but that is not consistent. Sometimes it helps to do the library first and sometimes it helps to do the facts first. For me, doing it the same way every time gave me the structure and consistency I needed to get it done in time. So I just do it front to back each time.

goku
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:21 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby goku » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:38 am

Any thoughts on getting a tutor vs paying for a company like baressays to grade your essays and get that feedback?

Carryon
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 7:47 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby Carryon » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:58 am

goku wrote:Any thoughts on getting a tutor vs paying for a company like baressays to grade your essays and get that feedback?

I wonder too which is better. A tutor might be better, but could cost more. Anybody have any thoughts?

melvinIII
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:55 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby melvinIII » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:19 am

Hey gang,

I took the CBX last July for the first time and failed. I got the Kaplan course for free so that's what I used. My essay scores were: 60, 60, 50, 60, 55, 55. PTs: 60, 55. My scaled MBE was 1406.

It appears to me that I need to improve in everything. My main issue is that I am now living in a foreign country and I didn't bring any of my bar materials with me. I'm looking for the best materials I can access online to self-study.

Essays: I've been reading 2807's posts on essay structure and I plan to implement his advice as much as possible. It seems that most people here recommend a subscription to baressays.com and I will be doing that to help see what my essays/PTs need to look like.

MBE: I plan on getting Barmax's MBE questions since I've seen them recommended multiple times and they use actual MBE questions.

I have seen the following services recommended multiple times: CA Leansheets, The Bar Code by Whitney Roberts, Critical Pass mobile app. If I get Barmax and a baressays.com subscription do I need any of these? Also, does anyone have an opinion on the standard vs. premium baressays.com subscription?

Lastly, if anyone has any outlines, quizlet flashcards, or any other bar prep materials that they feel confident in and they can send me online please DM me.

Carryon
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 7:47 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby Carryon » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:34 am

melvinIII wrote:Hey gang,

I took the CBX last July for the first time and failed. I got the Kaplan course for free so that's what I used. My essay scores were: 60, 60, 50, 60, 55, 55. PTs: 60, 55. My scaled MBE was 1406.

It appears to me that I need to improve in everything. My main issue is that I am now living in a foreign country and I didn't bring any of my bar materials with me. I'm looking for the best materials I can access online to self-study.

Essays: I've been reading 2807's posts on essay structure and I plan to implement his advice as much as possible. It seems that most people here recommend a subscription to baressays.com and I will be doing that to help see what my essays/PTs need to look like.

MBE: I plan on getting Barmax's MBE questions since I've seen them recommended multiple times and they use actual MBE questions.

I have seen the following services recommended multiple times: CA Leansheets, The Bar Code by Whitney Roberts, Critical Pass mobile app. If I get Barmax and a baressays.com subscription do I need any of these? Also, does anyone have an opinion on the standard vs. premium baressays.com subscription?

Lastly, if anyone has any outlines, quizlet flashcards, or any other bar prep materials that they feel confident in and they can send me online please DM me.


Get the premium baressasy.com subscription. Its worth the extra 50 dollars by far. In fact, I basically only look at the graded essays and model answers, which can only be available on the premium subscription. I studied in July using Barmax and Baressays. I think that maybe one may need to get some of those additional supplements and to take the exams and have them graded. I too would like to know which one or several of those supplements are good.

User avatar
Elms
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:06 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby Elms » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:14 pm

Does anyone know if the barmax MBE questions includes civ pro?

kdesq
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:50 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby kdesq » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:32 pm

Elms wrote:Does anyone know if the barmax MBE questions includes civ pro?


Barmax says they will release Civ Pro questions next week so it will be added next week. But there will be only 75 questions of Civ Pro.

melvinIII
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:55 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby melvinIII » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:14 pm

Carryon wrote:
melvinIII wrote:Hey gang,

I took the CBX last July for the first time and failed. I got the Kaplan course for free so that's what I used. My essay scores were: 60, 60, 50, 60, 55, 55. PTs: 60, 55. My scaled MBE was 1406.

It appears to me that I need to improve in everything. My main issue is that I am now living in a foreign country and I didn't bring any of my bar materials with me. I'm looking for the best materials I can access online to self-study.

Essays: I've been reading 2807's posts on essay structure and I plan to implement his advice as much as possible. It seems that most people here recommend a subscription to baressays.com and I will be doing that to help see what my essays/PTs need to look like.

MBE: I plan on getting Barmax's MBE questions since I've seen them recommended multiple times and they use actual MBE questions.

I have seen the following services recommended multiple times: CA Leansheets, The Bar Code by Whitney Roberts, Critical Pass mobile app. If I get Barmax and a baressays.com subscription do I need any of these? Also, does anyone have an opinion on the standard vs. premium baressays.com subscription?

Lastly, if anyone has any outlines, quizlet flashcards, or any other bar prep materials that they feel confident in and they can send me online please DM me.


Get the premium baressasy.com subscription. Its worth the extra 50 dollars by far. In fact, I basically only look at the graded essays and model answers, which can only be available on the premium subscription. I studied in July using Barmax and Baressays. I think that maybe one may need to get some of those additional supplements and to take the exams and have them graded. I too would like to know which one or several of those supplements are good.


Thanks, I'll go with the premium subscription. I believe I've read that baressays includes subject outlines, is that true? If so it probably wouldn't make sense to also but leansheets.

Carryon
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 7:47 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby Carryon » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:34 pm

melvinIII wrote:
Carryon wrote:
melvinIII wrote:Hey gang,

I took the CBX last July for the first time and failed. I got the Kaplan course for free so that's what I used. My essay scores were: 60, 60, 50, 60, 55, 55. PTs: 60, 55. My scaled MBE was 1406.

It appears to me that I need to improve in everything. My main issue is that I am now living in a foreign country and I didn't bring any of my bar materials with me. I'm looking for the best materials I can access online to self-study.

Essays: I've been reading 2807's posts on essay structure and I plan to implement his advice as much as possible. It seems that most people here recommend a subscription to baressays.com and I will be doing that to help see what my essays/PTs need to look like.

MBE: I plan on getting Barmax's MBE questions since I've seen them recommended multiple times and they use actual MBE questions.

Yes, they do have outlines. They are a little sparse, but I am not sure lean sheets is better.
I have seen the following services recommended multiple times: CA Leansheets, The Bar Code by Whitney Roberts, Critical Pass mobile app. If I get Barmax and a baressays.com subscription do I need any of these? Also, does anyone have an opinion on the standard vs. premium baressays.com subscription?

Lastly, if anyone has any outlines, quizlet flashcards, or any other bar prep materials that they feel confident in and they can send me online please DM me.


Get the premium baressasy.com subscription. Its worth the extra 50 dollars by far. In fact, I basically only look at the graded essays and model answers, which can only be available on the premium subscription. I studied in July using Barmax and Baressays. I think that maybe one may need to get some of those additional supplements and to take the exams and have them graded. I too would like to know which one or several of those supplements are good.


Thanks, I'll go with the premium subscription. I believe I've read that baressays includes subject outlines, is that true? If so it probably wouldn't make sense to also but leansheets.

Carryon
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 7:47 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby Carryon » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:43 pm

melvinIII wrote:
Carryon wrote:
melvinIII wrote:Hey gang,

I took the CBX last July for the first time and failed. I got the Kaplan course for free so that's what I used. My essay scores were: 60, 60, 50, 60, 55, 55. PTs: 60, 55. My scaled MBE was 1406.

It appears to me that I need to improve in everything. My main issue is that I am now living in a foreign country and I didn't bring any of my bar materials with me. I'm looking for the best materials I can access online to self-study.

Essays: I've been reading 2807's posts on essay structure and I plan to implement his advice as much as possible. It seems that most people here recommend a subscription to baressays.com and I will be doing that to help see what my essays/PTs need to look like.

MBE: I plan on getting Barmax's MBE questions since I've seen them recommended multiple times and they use actual MBE questions.

I have seen the following services recommended multiple times: CA Leansheets, The Bar Code by Whitney Roberts, Critical Pass mobile app. If I get Barmax and a baressays.com subscription do I need any of these? Also, does anyone have an opinion on the standard vs. premium baressays.com subscription?

Lastly, if anyone has any outlines, quizlet flashcards, or any other bar prep materials that they feel confident in and they can send me online please DM me.


Get the premium baressasy.com subscription. Its worth the extra 50 dollars by far. In fact, I basically only look at the graded essays and model answers, which can only be available on the premium subscription. I studied in July using Barmax and Baressays. I think that maybe one may need to get some of those additional supplements and to take the exams and have them graded. I too would like to know which one or several of those supplements are good.


Thanks, I'll go with the premium subscription. I believe I've read that baressays includes subject outlines, is that true? If so it probably wouldn't make sense to also but leansheets.


baressays has outlines but they are a little sparse, but not sure lean sheets are much better.

lifeafterlawschool
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:18 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby lifeafterlawschool » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:16 am

With only a few more days to decide whether to re-take in February, I'm still on the fence!

I don't have a strong desire to practice law in the future and I currently have a full-time job that's not law-related. However, I do want to keep my options open and I think it'd be a waste not to have my license, after enduring 3 years of law school. My concern is whether I can pass next time, having been 19 points shy of passing in July.

Any thoughts are appreciated :).


Also, does anyone have advice on how to tackle an essay when you've forgotten the law? Is it even possible to get a decent score? I should have spent more time memorizing the CA distinctions...


Q1: 60
Q2: 67.5
Q3: 52.5
Q4: 67.5
Q5: 52.5
Q6: 60

PTA: 55
PTB: 65

Raw Written: 600
Scaled Written 1396.44
Scaled MBE: 1469

Total scaled score: 1421.84

User avatar
Elms
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:06 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby Elms » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:25 am

kdesq wrote:
Elms wrote:Does anyone know if the barmax MBE questions includes civ pro?


Barmax says they will release Civ Pro questions next week so it will be added next week. But there will be only 75 questions of Civ Pro.


Thank you!

Carryon
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 7:47 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby Carryon » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:40 am

lifeafterlawschool wrote:With only a few more days to decide whether to re-take in February, I'm still on the fence!

I don't have a strong desire to practice law in the future and I currently have a full-time job that's not law-related. However, I do want to keep my options open and I think it'd be a waste not to have my license, after enduring 3 years of law school. My concern is whether I can pass next time, having been 19 points shy of passing in July.

Any thoughts are appreciated :).


Also, does anyone have advice on how to tackle an essay when you've forgotten the law? Is it even possible to get a decent score? I should have spent more time memorizing the CA distinctions...


Q1: 60
Q2: 67.5
Q3: 52.5
Q4: 67.5
Q5: 52.5
Q6: 60

PTA: 55
PTB: 65

Raw Written: 600
Scaled Written 1396.44
Scaled MBE: 1469

Total scaled score: 1421.84

Check the below link that has a video that reviews the July exam. If you are going to take it again, the speaker recommends taking it again in February especially for examinees that almost passed.

http://www.barbri.com/states/california ... r-exam.jsp

melvinIII
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:55 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby melvinIII » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:26 pm

Is BarMax the only service with real MBE questions? I was going to use that service but you can apparently only read the questions on an iphone or ipad. I don't have an ipad and reading the questions on an iphone would be a pain.

I think I've heard that Adaptibar has real MBE questions but they want $395 for their MBE questions which is more than twice as much as BarMax charges.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for MBE services?




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest