2015 February California Bar Exam

redblueyellow

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby redblueyellow » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:44 pm

Elms wrote:Anyone else using Leansheets? I'm seriously in love. <3

Me too! But remember, they tend to omit quite a bit of information so I have to end up going back and filling in the details for the stuff on the sheet, though.

cndounda1985

Postby cndounda1985 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:14 pm

I believe pretermitted/omitted child is used interchangeably in CA. It's in all of the BarBri materials, as well as in most of the CA outlines, I've been reviewed from folks who went to law school here. I went to school out of state.

mvp99

Postby mvp99 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:54 pm

quick question!! which of the following courses should I seriously consider taking, if any, for the bar: evidence, criminal procedure, real property, trusts and estates, secured transactions, conflict of laws? Or should I just chill out and learn all this shit 4-5 months before the bar? thanks..

redblueyellow

Postby redblueyellow » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:13 pm

mvp99 wrote:quick question!! which of the following courses should I seriously consider taking, if any, for the bar: evidence, criminal procedure, real property, trusts and estates, secured transactions, conflict of laws? Or should I just chill out and learn all this shit 4-5 months before the bar? thanks..

First three, in that order.

Elms

Postby Elms » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:28 pm

zabagabe wrote:
Elms wrote:Anyone else using Leansheets? I'm seriously in love. <3

I'm intrigued - say more! What makes them especially good? I'm just now getting to the point where I need to start memorizing for the essays, so I'm still open to better outlines beyond what Themis has provided me, if they're worth it? Thanks!

They are super sparse, but manageable. The idea is that they help you learn the things you really need to know well. Each subject has a condensed outline of about three pages. It's short so it helps you focus on the most important parts of each subject. As redblueyellow noted they omit a lot of details, so they are not a standalone outline by any means (I'm pairing them with Barmax outlines and Barbri's convisor mini review).

The shortness has helped me to really remember things. When I try to learn from a 20 page outline, I just zone out. The Leansheets short length has really helped me memorize more.

I think their website has a few sample pages you can look at to see if you like the style. And the whole CA set plus MBE was only $40 or $50 (don't remember exactly), so they won't break the bank.

redblueyellow

Postby redblueyellow » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:34 pm

Question:

Is there a substantive difference (or at least on that needs to be known for the bar) between content-neutral and viewpoint-neutral speech?

The only potential limitation I've found is that for limited public forums and non-public forums, the speech has to be viewpoint-neutral, but isn't that de facto content-neutral as well?

Also, re: Leansheets, there's usually a promo code floating around; check their Facebook for details (that's where I got mine in July).

zabagabe

Postby zabagabe » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:04 pm

Thanks team! Their facebook had a 20% off promo and for $31.99, I was happy to risk it. These look pretty great, especially some of the tables for Evidence distinctions, tiers of scrutiny in Con Law, etc. These look really good, and about as much as I could possibly hope to memorize! Now if only they came as individual PDFs, so I didn't have to have the whole doc open at once...

CourtneyElizabeth

Postby CourtneyElizabeth » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:17 pm

Just did a ton of Con Law MBEs and I'm at about 55%. That's fracking abysmal. I did better with Contracts - 66%. I'm scared to see how terribly I'll do on the rest of them!

Also, saw some people not really going to try PTs before going in. I strongly advise against that. They're worth double essays. At least reads a sh*t ton of them and see what they're supposed to look like and all the possible types you could have to do.

Aaannddd…I'm with the rest of you on the whole "nothing is sticking" problem. I just went to do a Comm Prop essay and felt like I didn't even study the subject at all. Grrr….

redblueyellow

Postby redblueyellow » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:30 pm

CourtneyElizabeth wrote:Just did a ton of Con Law MBEs and I'm at about 55%. That's fracking abysmal. I did better with Contracts - 66%. I'm scared to see how terribly I'll do on the rest of them!

Also, saw some people not really going to try PTs before going in. I strongly advise against that. They're worth double essays. At least reads a sh*t ton of them and see what they're supposed to look like and all the possible types you could have to do.

Aaannddd…I'm with the rest of you on the whole "nothing is sticking" problem. I just went to do a Comm Prop essay and felt like I didn't even study the subject at all. Grrr….

Yup, I just did a bunch of conlaw MBEs and I'm right around that percentage as well. In theory, everything makes sense for that subject, but gets super tricky on the MBE.

Sorry to hear about the comm prop issue. That's been my achilles' heel throughout the process and I wouldn't want to wish that on anyone studying for the bar.

zabagabe wrote:These look pretty great, especially some of the tables for Evidence distinctions, tiers of scrutiny in Con Law, etc. These look really good, and about as much as I could possibly hope to memorize! Now if only they came as individual PDFs, so I didn't have to have the whole doc open at once...

Careful, just because it's in the Leansheets doesn't mean that it'll be sufficient. I used it last time in July and I was grossly unprepared because I used Leansheets for memorization and the rest of my resources to "learn" the subjects.

BUT, it is an excellent start and I'm definitely happy with my purchase as well. The charts are especially helpful!

As for the PDF thing, you could split them up if you had the appropriate PDF generator software, but it's probably just faster if you open the entire thing and ctrl+f your way to where you need to be.

mvp99

Postby mvp99 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:39 pm

redblueyellow wrote:
mvp99 wrote:quick question!! which of the following courses should I seriously consider taking, if any, for the bar: evidence, criminal procedure, real property, trusts and estates, secured transactions, conflict of laws? Or should I just chill out and learn all this shit 4-5 months before the bar? thanks..

First three, in that order.

thanks!

Elms

Postby Elms » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:42 pm

I ended up printing out my Leansheets and putting them in a binder. Which is totally not tree-friendly, but scrolling through was annoying me. Plus now I can highlight/make additional notes/etc.

Glad you found a deal, zabagabe! I love the evidence charts!

pineapple99

Postby pineapple99 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:20 pm

Just finishing property today. Gotta still do property MBES. :shock:

What are you predictions for this round?

Ethics
Con Law
Fed Civ Pro
Contracts
Real Property
Crim/CA Evidence crossover?

jbriggs

Postby jbriggs » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:32 pm

Anyone know if barmax questions are identical to adaptibar? I'm pretty much out of adaptibar questions and barmax sent me discount offer so am thinking of signing up for it to get a couple hundred more questions in but that's obviously of a great idea if the questions would repeat.

Good luck to everyone!

Elms

Postby Elms » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:40 pm

jbriggs wrote:Anyone know if barmax questions are identical to adaptibar? I'm pretty much out of adaptibar questions and barmax sent me discount offer so am thinking of signing up for it to get a couple hundred more questions in but that's obviously of a great idea if the questions would repeat.

Good luck to everyone!

I'm not sure on whether they're the same as Adaptibar, but there is probably at least some significant overlap since both programs use real bar questions. I have the Barmax full CA course and it has 1569 MBE questions total. Not sure how many adaptibar had... But maybe if it was a lot less the new questions would be worth it even with the overlap. (And assuming the Barmax MBE only app has the full 1569 questions... Which I would think it would?)

melvinIII

Postby melvinIII » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:13 am

Elms wrote:
jbriggs wrote:Anyone know if barmax questions are identical to adaptibar? I'm pretty much out of adaptibar questions and barmax sent me discount offer so am thinking of signing up for it to get a couple hundred more questions in but that's obviously of a great idea if the questions would repeat.

Good luck to everyone!

I'm not sure on whether they're the same as Adaptibar, but there is probably at least some significant overlap since both programs use real bar questions. I have the Barmax full CA course and it has 1569 MBE questions total. Not sure how many adaptibar had... But maybe if it was a lot less the new questions would be worth it even with the overlap. (And assuming the Barmax MBE only app has the full 1569 questions... Which I would think it would?)

I have the Barmax MBE only app and can confirm it has 1569 questions

Elms

Postby Elms » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:57 am

melvinIII wrote:
Elms wrote:

Good luck to everyone!

I have the Barmax MBE only app and can confirm it has 1569 questions

Thanks for confirming!

jbriggs

Postby jbriggs » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:17 am

Thank you both! May hold off and just spend time with my many wrong answers from adaptibar. Appreciate it.

jbriggs

Postby jbriggs » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:18 am

Thank you both! May hold off and just spend time with my many wrong answers from adaptibar. Appreciate it.

CourtneyElizabeth

Postby CourtneyElizabeth » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:47 pm

I find that reading the answers I got wrong on the MBE questions helps. A lot of reiteration of black letter law and rules I should be remembering (but just can't seem to).
I'm killing some PTs though so hopefully they save me this time around...

redblueyellow

Postby redblueyellow » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:53 pm

I am starting to get really frustrated at my lack of ability to memorize the rules even after I've gone over it numerous times. Just went over hearsay rules and I'm always missing an element or two. I know what the hearsay exception does generally, but just can't lay it out entirely.

morescotchplease

Postby morescotchplease » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:26 pm

oh boy, oh boy, oh boy...

Elms

Postby Elms » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:36 pm

Prop 8: We decided all relevant evidence is admissible in a criminal case, unless we decided that it's not.

CourtneyElizabeth

Postby CourtneyElizabeth » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:39 pm

Elms wrote:Prop 8: We decided all relevant evidence is admissible in a criminal case, unless we decided that it's not.

THIS.

zabagabe

Postby zabagabe » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:33 pm

CourtneyElizabeth wrote:
Elms wrote:Prop 8: We decided all relevant evidence is admissible in a criminal case, unless we decided that it's not.

THIS.

Which is extremely helpful in a system in which otherwise the default rule seems to be that while in theory everything is admissible, most things aren't, except for a lot of exceptions to those things, and some exceptions to those exceptions. I've yet to figure out a way to organize this in my head so that it makes sense. The best I've been able to do is ask, "what is the claim? and how is this evidence being used to support that claim?" Hopefully I can come up with something more precise in the next two weeks. ;)

On a more prosaic note, I am debating between either (a) staying in a hotel across the street from the Oakland convention center or (b) staying with my SO in SF and driving over and back every day. Pros to (a) are being close, the ability to chill out in the hotel room on the break, and no stress about getting there in time in the AM. But the cons are the costs and the ickiness of being stuck alone in a random hotel room for three days.

On the other hand, if I stay with the SO, I risk worrying about being late due to traffic, but I get home cooked meals, a comfortable bed, and a break from being in and around the bar testing center for 72 hours straight.

I'm curious what are others doing. For repeaters (in CA or who have taken other bar exams), did you find a hotel onsite was worth it? Back in the day, I took the LSAT in Oakland and drove in from SF in the morning, but that was only one day, not three...

Thanks!

CourtneyElizabeth

Postby CourtneyElizabeth » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:44 pm

Hey I have stayed in a hotel both times. First time with husband. Failed. Second time without husband. Did better. Third time (and final time regardless of outcome) staying in a hotel alone. Honestly, it's not that bad. The hotel last time had a big jet tub and i just relaxed and had a huge comfy bed all to myself.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”