2015 February California Bar Exam

a male human

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby a male human » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:46 pm

It's funny because I hated con law 1 (starting from Marbury before stuff before equal protection and individual rights) because it made no sense at all, and I learned NOTHING from my professor. Also, instead of studying for my con law final, I worked on the response needed to appear in court by paper because I got a ticket for jaywalking. Bombed the final.

Now I find con law to be one of the more interesting subjects.

zabagabe

Postby zabagabe » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:51 pm

a male human wrote:It's funny because I hated con law 1 (starting from Marbury before stuff before equal protection and individual rights) because it made no sense at all, and I learned NOTHING from my professor. Also, instead of studying for my con law final, I worked on the response needed to appear in court by paper because I got a ticket for jaywalking. Bombed the final.

Now I find con law to be one of the more interesting subjects.

Yeah, Con Law has always been one of my favorite subjects, and I spent a lot of time on con law issues throughout law school, so I am not surprised it comes more naturally to me. But I've been surprised by some of the others. For instance, I hated crim in law school, but I love it on the MBE, because it's so straightforward. Whereas I loved Crim Pro in law school, but it makes for more technical and tricky MBE questions. And contracts, which I found really interesting in law school, has so many wrinkles I find myself getting tripped up on on the MBE.

I am not at all surprised I dislike Evidence and Real Property. So many arbitrary rules!

morescotchplease

Postby morescotchplease » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:02 pm

Real Property is a pain both as a subject and for the MBEs because the questions are so long and so many parties involved. Evidence itself as a subject isn't too bad but it's surprisingly a headache for MBEs, mainly because every question has the possible "hearsay without exception" choice and the correct answer often hinges on a very subtle fact.

redblueyellow

Postby redblueyellow » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:34 pm

So problem:

On Kaplan's MBE questions for Contracts, I'm getting 70-80% correct.

Compared to Strategies and Tactics (the Emanuel book), I'm getting 10-20% correct on the sample questions.

What gives?!

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:59 pm

redblueyellow wrote:So problem:

On Kaplan's MBE questions for Contracts, I'm getting 70-80% correct.

Compared to Strategies and Tactics (the Emanuel book), I'm getting 10-20% correct on the sample questions.

What gives?!

Strategies and Tactics questions should be a bit easier so I do not know. Think S&T's questions are a bit dated while being real questions.

s1m4

Postby s1m4 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:14 pm

Taking today off today guys. 1/2 day tomorrow. After that its 12 hours a day until D-day. Lets handle it!

redblueyellow

Postby redblueyellow » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:38 pm

s1m4 wrote:Taking today off today guys. 1/2 day tomorrow. After that its 12 hours a day until D-day. Lets handle it!

I feel very off today. I'm thinking about just stopping since I'm not making any progress. You're probably making the right call!

TheLegalOne

Postby TheLegalOne » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:42 pm

redblueyellow wrote:
s1m4 wrote:Taking today off today guys. 1/2 day tomorrow. After that its 12 hours a day until D-day. Lets handle it!

I feel very off today. I'm thinking about just stopping since I'm not making any progress. You're probably making the right call!

I'm not sure what's up with today! I'm feeling very off, too. It took me 45 mins to type a statement of facts to a PT...FAIL! I knew at that point things would not end pretty with the PT. Then I completed a Torts essay - simple negligence, negligence per se and intentional torts. I couldn't get the structure straight for the life of me...then when I checked the model answer, I almost lost it when I saw it contained 3228 words. Really?! I struggled to do what I did - had to cut down on rules and analysis to get it completed in 1 hour and then I saw a 3228 masterpiece!!! Word count typically does not bother me - because I think they use it for teachable points rather than what can be done in an hour - but today it did. I think I'll have to cut it short this evening, too. I'm at the diminishing returns point.

zabagabe

Postby zabagabe » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:10 pm

Same. Decided to do a PT too. I would totally take 4 PTs and skip the essays altogether! No memorization, how wonderful! And taking breaks is definitely necessary. Took a nice long break and worked out at the gym today. Clearing one's head is essential to maintaining this process for another 2+ weeks!

redblueyellow

Postby redblueyellow » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:11 pm

TheLegalOne wrote:
redblueyellow wrote:

I'm not sure what's up with today! I'm feeling very off, too. It took me 45 mins to type a statement of facts to a PT...FAIL! I knew at that point things would not end pretty with the PT. Then I completed a Torts essay - simple negligence, negligence per se and intentional torts. I couldn't get the structure straight for the life of me...then when I checked the model answer, I almost lost it when I saw it contained 3228 words. Really?! I struggled to do what I did - had to cut down on rules and analysis to get it completed in 1 hour and then I saw a 3228 masterpiece!!! Word count typically does not bother me - because I think they use it for teachable points rather than what can be done in an hour - but today it did. I think I'll have to cut it short this evening, too. I'm at the diminishing returns point.

I think we're all just burnt out, probably.

I'm feeling a lot more peppy now. Just drank a huge thing of black coffee, turned up some fast beats, and now I'm getting in the groove. I should've done this a lot earlier in the day.

cndounda1985

Postby cndounda1985 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:09 pm

These PTs are killing me. Every time I do them, i think i'm doing great until I read the sample PTs. I know they're suppose to be the absolute best answers but sheesh, makes me so self conscious. i hit most of the points but it doesn't flow like the sample answers. (sigh). Anyone else having this problem? :roll: :cry:

zabagabe

Postby zabagabe » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:16 am

cndounda1985 wrote:These PTs are killing me. Every time I do them, i think i'm doing great until I read the sample PTs. I know they're suppose to be the absolute best answers but sheesh, makes me so self conscious. i hit most of the points but it doesn't flow like the sample answers. (sigh). Anyone else having this problem? :roll: :cry:

I would be a little wary of comparing your answer to the model answer too literally or mechanistically. On the PT I did today, I got a great score from my Themis advisor, but it did not mirror the model answer precisely section by section. Nevertheless, it covered almost all of the same points, drew on the same facts, cited the same relevant portions of the same cases, etc. Depending on the PT, I think there can be multiple "right" ways to organize your analysis, as long as the broad framework is similar. So I don't think it needs to literally hit the same points in the same order. (Indeed, a second model answer that Themis provided was MUCH closer to mine than the first one, and the two were side-by-side noticeably different in their organization).

As long as you feel like you are hitting all the major points correctly and your organization flows logically and coherently, I think you'll easily pass.

gaagoots

Postby gaagoots » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:18 am

I did 2 PTs today. Was totally emo after practicing July PT B. It was crap I'd be embarrassed to share. Tried again with Feb 2013 and a but easier being a client letter. I've come to realize some of these get 75 for copying the format from one of the cases. I did a 'real' motion to quash a summons in three hours and it was much easier than this stuff haha but then I could C&P right out of the case, I don't think examsoft lets us. I was looking at the bar exam files on my computer today thinking, what subjects are in those files lol please god not agencies and partnerships.

This will be over soon, I can drink again and I'm going to binge watch House of Cards season 3 since it airs at the end of the month

aretoodeetoo

Postby aretoodeetoo » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:40 am

Tried my hand at the Civ Pro essay from Feb 2014. Spent 1.5 hours. Discouraged by the enormous model answers posted on the website but seemed pretty straight forward regarding major issues. I just hope with CP being on the MBEs, it doesn't show up on the essays.

Will spend 3 hours on my first PT today to clear the taste out of my mouth.

PennJD83

Postby PennJD83 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:45 am

Just curious, is anyone using adaptibar? I've done around 1700 questions and I'm only scoring around the 65-68% percentage range (Any suggestions on how to improve?) but I'm getting a little worried because I'm starting to see some of the same questions being asked, so I'm not sure if I should just move on to Barbri's MBE questions or not. Also, I know the general consensus is that we should be scoring around 68-70% going in to the bar, however is that still the case now that Civpro is in the mix? I'm also finding that my score kinda drops a bit when I do Barbri questions. Is that normal? Ahh! I'm just kinda freaking out right now. Can't believe we're so close!!

Elms

Postby Elms » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:20 am

PennJD83 wrote:Just curious, is anyone using adaptibar? I've done around 1700 questions and I'm only scoring around the 65-68% percentage range (Any suggestions on how to improve?) but I'm getting a little worried because I'm starting to see some of the same questions being asked, so I'm not sure if I should just move on to Barbri's MBE questions or not. Also, I know the general consensus is that we should be scoring around 68-70% going in to the bar, however is that still the case now that Civpro is in the mix? I'm also finding that my score kinda drops a bit when I do Barbri questions. Is that normal? Ahh! I'm just kinda freaking out right now. Can't believe we're so close!!

I'm scoring about 64% right now with Barmax (which is real MBEs, same as Adaptibar, right?). I'm not worried. I figure I'll improve slightly over the next two weeks, but I think that's a good score for this point.

morescotchplease

Postby morescotchplease » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:21 am

aretoodeetoo wrote:Tried my hand at the Civ Pro essay from Feb 2014. Spent 1.5 hours. Discouraged by the enormous model answers posted on the website but seemed pretty straight forward regarding major issues. I just hope with CP being on the MBEs, it doesn't show up on the essays.

Will spend 3 hours on my first PT today to clear the taste out of my mouth.

my fear is that they'll finally put a CA civ pro essay question since federal civ pro is covered by mbe.

morescotchplease

Postby morescotchplease » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:23 am

Elms wrote:
I'm scoring about 64% right now with Barmax (which is real MBEs, same as Adaptibar, right?). I'm not worried. I figure I'll improve slightly over the next two weeks, but I think that's a good score for this point.

I'm using barmax too. I was actually scoring better a few weeks ago, but now that I have all these rules in my head, it's actually throwing me off. My instincts seem to give me better results than remember certain rules only to find that the answer I chose was wrong because it was slightly off from the rule.

zabagabe

Postby zabagabe » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:31 pm

morescotchplease wrote:
Elms wrote:

I'm using barmax too. I was actually scoring better a few weeks ago, but now that I have all these rules in my head, it's actually throwing me off. My instincts seem to give me better results than remember certain rules only to find that the answer I chose was wrong because it was slightly off from the rule.

I've had the exact same problem. Now that I know more, I doubt myself rather than go with my instinct. And same, I've actually dropped a bit from where I was earlier. I'm hopeful that powering through 50-100 per day will slowly bring it back up. There's still plenty of time with over two weeks to go!

melvinIII

Postby melvinIII » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:34 pm

In the model answers on baressays.com they have different rules for omitted/pretermitted children. A pretermitted child is one born after the execution of testamentary documents, while an omitted child is one born before execution. This is also the distinction I learned in law school.

On the Kaplan outlines and the leansheets, however, they only mention an omitted child, which they refer to as a child born after execution of testamentary documents. Does anyone know if we need to know the pretermitted/omitted distinction for the bar exam?

a male human

Postby a male human » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:39 pm

melvinIII wrote:In the model answers on baressays.com they have different rules for omitted/pretermitted children. A pretermitted child is one born after the execution of testamentary documents, while an omitted child is one born before execution. This is also the distinction I learned in law school.

On the Kaplan outlines and the leansheets, however, they only mention an omitted child, which they refer to as a child born after execution of testamentary documents. Does anyone know if we need to know the pretermitted/omitted distinction for the bar exam?

An omitted child receives intestate share, unless 1) the will shows omission was intentional, 2) T provided substitute transfer outside will, or 3) T had other children and left estate to parent of omitted child

That's the rule on pretermitted/omitted children. If the omission of the child was intentional, couldn't that child have been born before the will is executed (and maybe after? if the child is known to be arriving, e.g., after pregnancy)?

I don't know what the sample answers say, but perhaps an "omitted" child is a variation on a "pretermitted" child.

Elms

Postby Elms » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:07 pm

Anyone else using Leansheets? I'm seriously in love. <3

melvinIII

Postby melvinIII » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:27 pm

a male human wrote:
melvinIII wrote:In the model answers on baressays.com they have different rules for omitted/pretermitted children. A pretermitted child is one born after the execution of testamentary documents, while an omitted child is one born before execution. This is also the distinction I learned in law school.

An omitted child receives intestate share, unless 1) the will shows omission was intentional, 2) T provided substitute transfer outside will, or 3) T had other children and left estate to parent of omitted child

That's the rule on pretermitted/omitted children. If the omission of the child was intentional, couldn't that child have been born before the will is executed (and maybe after? if the child is known to be arriving, e.g., after pregnancy)?

I don't know what the sample answers say, but perhaps an "omitted" child is a variation on a "pretermitted" child.

The rule is the same for both and some people seem to use the terms interchangeably so I don't think the distinction matters too much. If it comes up on the exam I'll make the heading "Pretermitted/Omitted Child" and write the rule you described above, I assume that's all the graders are looking for.

I looked it up in the probate code and an omitted child is referred to as a child born after the execution of testamentary documents. http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displ ... 1620-21623

I couldn't find use of the word "pretermitted" in the CA probate code so maybe that term isn't used in CA? I didn't go to a CA law school so I'm not really sure.

redblueyellow

Postby redblueyellow » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:40 pm

I've never heard the term "pretermitted" until I read your post. Never once was used in law school either. Maybe used interchangeably?

zabagabe

Postby zabagabe » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:44 pm

Elms wrote:Anyone else using Leansheets? I'm seriously in love. <3

I'm intrigued - say more! What makes them especially good? I'm just now getting to the point where I need to start memorizing for the essays, so I'm still open to better outlines beyond what Themis has provided me, if they're worth it? Thanks!

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”