2015 February California Bar Exam

User avatar
zabagabe
Posts: 340
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:48 am

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby zabagabe » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:18 pm

redblueyellow wrote:
morescotchplease wrote:Also, is it just me, but I feel like I feel pretty good about whatever subject I reviewed today, but when I try to test myself on a subject I went over yesterday or two days ago, it's as if I never went over it....


YES. THIS. Me too! That's definitely my problem and I don't know what to do about it. If I go back and try to re-memorize/learn the material of the previous subject, I'll be cutting time short for the other remaining subjects.


Me three. I haven't plateaued on the MBE questions, since the more I do the more obvious the tricks become, but my mind is a rules statement sieve for the essays. No rule statements want to stay in there. When I get to the two-week mark I am just going to start doing rule statement flash cards, but I'm still learning CA specific subjects, so not there yet!

redblueyellow
Posts: 465
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby redblueyellow » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:34 pm

zabagabe wrote:Me three. I haven't plateaued on the MBE questions, since the more I do the more obvious the tricks become, but my mind is a rules statement sieve for the essays. No rule statements want to stay in there. When I get to the two-week mark I am just going to start doing rule statement flash cards, but I'm still learning CA specific subjects, so not there yet!


Hopefully you don't get trapped like I did: I read all the materials, thought I could retain at least a decent amount (false) and now I'm having to go back to each subject for memorization purposes. This takes time away from MBE and essay practice because one can't answer MBEs accurately without knowing the law in depth and one can't do an essay without knowing what the basic framework of the structure should look like + rule sentences (as you mentioned above).

I'm using critical pass flash cards per a recommendation here on the forums to do rule statement memorizing but even that's not working too well. Just way too much information to keep straight in a short amount of time, especially when you have to go into some depth about it.

User avatar
Elms
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:06 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby Elms » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:18 pm

redblueyellow wrote:
zabagabe wrote:Me three. I haven't plateaued on the MBE questions, since the more I do the more obvious the tricks become, but my mind is a rules statement sieve for the essays. No rule statements want to stay in there. When I get to the two-week mark I am just going to start doing rule statement flash cards, but I'm still learning CA specific subjects, so not there yet!


Hopefully you don't get trapped like I did: I read all the materials, thought I could retain at least a decent amount (false) and now I'm having to go back to each subject for memorization purposes. This takes time away from MBE and essay practice because one can't answer MBEs accurately without knowing the law in depth and one can't do an essay without knowing what the basic framework of the structure should look like + rule sentences (as you mentioned above).

I'm using critical pass flash cards per a recommendation here on the forums to do rule statement memorizing but even that's not working too well. Just way too much information to keep straight in a short amount of time, especially when you have to go into some depth about it.


I'm reading through and rough outlining as many past essays as I can. (And by rough, I do mean ROUGH!) it's not as obvious as the MBE, but the more essays you read, the more you start to see the same issues over and over in the essays, too. And, for me at least, seeing rules in a scenario of facts instead of on a dry outline or flashcard really helps me contextualize and remember things better.

I'm forgetting a lot, still, but the more I do the better I'm getting. Remember the bar exam motto: go for good, not great!

redblueyellow
Posts: 465
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby redblueyellow » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:31 pm

Elms wrote:I'm reading through and rough outlining as many past essays as I can. (And by rough, I do mean ROUGH!) it's not as obvious as the MBE, but the more essays you read, the more you start to see the same issues over and over in the essays, too. And, for me at least, seeing rules in a scenario of facts instead of on a dry outline or flashcard really helps me contextualize and remember things better.

I'm forgetting a lot, still, but the more I do the better I'm getting. Remember the bar exam motto: go for good, not great!


I definitely agree with you there. I'm just aiming for competency to pass so that I don't get fired and can't support my parents anymore.

However, I have a couple friends going all out on the essay method this time around (the difference is they're actually writing out the essays), but they're now having trouble answering MBE questions because the essays are not as specific ("deep") in terms of pure law as the MBEs.

And here I am not being able to do either to my satisfaction, lol.

User avatar
Elms
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:06 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby Elms » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:53 pm

redblueyellow wrote:
Elms wrote:I'm reading through and rough outlining as many past essays as I can. (And by rough, I do mean ROUGH!) it's not as obvious as the MBE, but the more essays you read, the more you start to see the same issues over and over in the essays, too. And, for me at least, seeing rules in a scenario of facts instead of on a dry outline or flashcard really helps me contextualize and remember things better.

I'm forgetting a lot, still, but the more I do the better I'm getting. Remember the bar exam motto: go for good, not great!


I definitely agree with you there. I'm just aiming for competency to pass so that I don't get fired and can't support my parents anymore.

However, I have a couple friends going all out on the essay method this time around (the difference is they're actually writing out the essays), but they're now having trouble answering MBE questions because the essays are not as specific ("deep") in terms of pure law as the MBEs.

And here I am not being able to do either to my satisfaction, lol.


Yeah, I hear you... I'll never be able to do any of this to my satisfaction, lol.

Everyone learns differently and has to do what's right for them. But I personall think that unless your problem is major time management issues on essays, writing out a bunch in full only detracts from time that could be spent learning more rules.

Like I said though, different strokes for different folks. Everyone's gotta find their groove.

redblueyellow
Posts: 465
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby redblueyellow » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:15 pm

Elms wrote:
redblueyellow wrote:
Elms wrote:I'm reading through and rough outlining as many past essays as I can. (And by rough, I do mean ROUGH!) it's not as obvious as the MBE, but the more essays you read, the more you start to see the same issues over and over in the essays, too. And, for me at least, seeing rules in a scenario of facts instead of on a dry outline or flashcard really helps me contextualize and remember things better.

I'm forgetting a lot, still, but the more I do the better I'm getting. Remember the bar exam motto: go for good, not great!


I definitely agree with you there. I'm just aiming for competency to pass so that I don't get fired and can't support my parents anymore.

However, I have a couple friends going all out on the essay method this time around (the difference is they're actually writing out the essays), but they're now having trouble answering MBE questions because the essays are not as specific ("deep") in terms of pure law as the MBEs.

And here I am not being able to do either to my satisfaction, lol.


Yeah, I hear you... I'll never be able to do any of this to my satisfaction, lol.

Everyone learns differently and has to do what's right for them. But I personall think that unless your problem is major time management issues on essays, writing out a bunch in full only detracts from time that could be spent learning more rules.

Like I said though, different strokes for different folks. Everyone's gotta find their groove.


Hmm, I know I didn't do too well on the essays, and part of the reason was time, but that's probably because issue spotting/thinking about rules took so long. I don't know about my friends though.

The problem with the bar is that while everyone does learn differently, the bar realistically only allows one method of study (especially true for retakers or those with substantial outside responsibilities). That detracts from how one would normally learn. I like to take my time learning something, but when I get it down, I have it down. Definitely can't do that for the bar when study time is limited and you're rushing 14 subjects.

The other issue is the depth of the amount of rules that one really needs to know. If you go by the essays that are out there in the wild, they're not necessarily that intense, but if you look at the MBEs, quite a few standard rules go into significant depth. It's hard to find that happy medium between what's enough on a particular topic and what's not because of the inclusion of MBEs.

User avatar
zabagabe
Posts: 340
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:48 am

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby zabagabe » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:57 pm

Just did my first closed book, paper only, multi-subject practice test. :shock:

Definitely harder than doing single subjects or doing them online when you get instant feedback. Somehow getting ones right helps spur on my motivation, whereas hitting 3 in a row where I feel like I'm making genuine stabs in the dark kind of kills the confidence.

Went reasonably well all this considered, and we just need to pass, right, but definitely feeling kind of deflated right now. There is just SO much we need to know...

aretoodeetoo
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:05 am

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby aretoodeetoo » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:17 pm

zabagabe wrote:Just did my first closed book, paper only, multi-subject practice test. :shock:

Definitely harder than doing single subjects or doing them online when you get instant feedback. Somehow getting ones right helps spur on my motivation, whereas hitting 3 in a row where I feel like I'm making genuine stabs in the dark kind of kills the confidence.

Went reasonably well all this considered, and we just need to pass, right, but definitely feeling kind of deflated right now. There is just SO much we need to know...


anyone else punting corporations or nah

User avatar
Elms
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:06 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby Elms » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:00 pm

redblueyellow wrote:
Elms wrote:
redblueyellow wrote:
Elms wrote:I'm reading through and rough outlining as many past essays as I can. (And by rough, I do mean ROUGH!) it's not as obvious as the MBE, but the more essays you read, the more you start to see the same issues over and over in the essays, too. And, for me at least, seeing rules in a scenario of facts instead of on a dry outline or flashcard really helps me contextualize and remember things better.

I'm forgetting a lot, still, but the more I do the better I'm getting. Remember the bar exam motto: go for good, not great!


I definitely agree with you there. I'm just aiming for competency to pass so that I don't get fired and can't support my parents anymore.

However, I have a couple friends going all out on the essay method this time around (the difference is they're actually writing out the essays), but they're now having trouble answering MBE questions because the essays are not as specific ("deep") in terms of pure law as the MBEs.

And here I am not being able to do either to my satisfaction, lol.


Yeah, I hear you... I'll never be able to do any of this to my satisfaction, lol.

Everyone learns differently and has to do what's right for them. But I personall think that unless your problem is major time management issues on essays, writing out a bunch in full only detracts from time that could be spent learning more rules.

Like I said though, different strokes for different folks. Everyone's gotta find their groove.


Hmm, I know I didn't do too well on the essays, and part of the reason was time, but that's probably because issue spotting/thinking about rules took so long. I don't know about my friends though.

The problem with the bar is that while everyone does learn differently, the bar realistically only allows one method of study (especially true for retakers or those with substantial outside responsibilities). That detracts from how one would normally learn. I like to take my time learning something, but when I get it down, I have it down. Definitely can't do that for the bar when study time is limited and you're rushing 14 subjects.

The other issue is the depth of the amount of rules that one really needs to know. If you go by the essays that are out there in the wild, they're not necessarily that intense, but if you look at the MBEs, quite a few standard rules go into significant depth. It's hard to find that happy medium between what's enough on a particular topic and what's not because of the inclusion of MBEs.


That's very true... How I have to study for the bar is definitely not my preferred method of studying. When I took the IL bar in July right after law school it was definitely easier though. Both because it's IL not CA, and because the only responsibility I had then was bar study. This time around has been a lot more difficult, study wise. :(

I just keep telling myself that in less than three weeks this will all be over (at least until July... :shock: )

User avatar
Elms
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:06 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby Elms » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:01 pm

aretoodeetoo wrote:
zabagabe wrote:Just did my first closed book, paper only, multi-subject practice test. :shock:

Definitely harder than doing single subjects or doing them online when you get instant feedback. Somehow getting ones right helps spur on my motivation, whereas hitting 3 in a row where I feel like I'm making genuine stabs in the dark kind of kills the confidence.

Went reasonably well all this considered, and we just need to pass, right, but definitely feeling kind of deflated right now. There is just SO much we need to know...


anyone else punting corporations or nah


I'm terrified to just punt any subject completely...

aretoodeetoo
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:05 am

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby aretoodeetoo » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:17 pm

Elms wrote:
aretoodeetoo wrote:
zabagabe wrote:Just did my first closed book, paper only, multi-subject practice test. :shock:

Definitely harder than doing single subjects or doing them online when you get instant feedback. Somehow getting ones right helps spur on my motivation, whereas hitting 3 in a row where I feel like I'm making genuine stabs in the dark kind of kills the confidence.

Went reasonably well all this considered, and we just need to pass, right, but definitely feeling kind of deflated right now. There is just SO much we need to know...


anyone else punting corporations or nah


I'm terrified to just punt any subject completely...


yeah i wish i was cool enough to actually choose and carry through... but most likely i will be forced based on time. so i'm "punting" the subjects i'm studying last...

morescotchplease
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:46 am

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby morescotchplease » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:50 pm

Elms wrote:
That's very true... How I have to study for the bar is definitely not my preferred method of studying. When I took the IL bar in July right after law school it was definitely easier though. Both because it's IL not CA, and because the only responsibility I had then was bar study. This time around has been a lot more difficult, study wise. :(

I just keep telling myself that in less than three weeks this will all be over (at least until July... :shock: )


I hear you on the additional responsibilities. I currently have two kids sick at home with the stomach flu...needless to say, I haven't done much today....although I contemplated eating my outlines in hopes that it would transfer something, anything into my brain. :?

aretoodeetoo
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:05 am

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby aretoodeetoo » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:00 pm

i'm also keeping in perspective that it's an hour per essay right? this isn't law school with people doing 100 pages in 4 hours (using that stupid page break function)

User avatar
Elms
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:06 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby Elms » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:29 pm

morescotchplease wrote:
Elms wrote:
That's very true... How I have to study for the bar is definitely not my preferred method of studying. When I took the IL bar in July right after law school it was definitely easier though. Both because it's IL not CA, and because the only responsibility I had then was bar study. This time around has been a lot more difficult, study wise. :(

I just keep telling myself that in less than three weeks this will all be over (at least until July... :shock: )


I hear you on the additional responsibilities. I currently have two kids sick at home with the stomach flu...needless to say, I haven't done much today....although I contemplated eating my outlines in hopes that it would transfer something, anything into my brain. :?


Oof... I hope the littles feel better soon. Sick kids make it nearly impossible to get anything done. I advise consuming cake and/or alcohol instead of your outlines.

User avatar
Elms
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:06 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby Elms » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:30 pm

aretoodeetoo wrote:i'm also keeping in perspective that it's an hour per essay right? this isn't law school with people doing 100 pages in 4 hours (using that stupid page break function)

Yup, one hour per essay. Although, I wish it was like law school so we could bring outlines to the exam. :(

redblueyellow
Posts: 465
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby redblueyellow » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:01 pm

Elms wrote:
aretoodeetoo wrote:i'm also keeping in perspective that it's an hour per essay right? this isn't law school with people doing 100 pages in 4 hours (using that stupid page break function)

Yup, one hour per essay. Although, I wish it was like law school so we could bring outlines to the exam. :(


Boom, guaranteed pass. If I could bring in even a notecard (front and back filled out), I would pass, I'm sure of it.

redblueyellow
Posts: 465
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby redblueyellow » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:48 pm

How do you all deal with triggers to regurgitate information?

For example: I have most of this generally memorized (for now)
"Modification (changes to K obligations)
A modification is a substitute agreement where parties to an existing K will accept the modification to satisfy an existing K. Consideration is required. The Pre-Existing Duty Rule prevents the completion of a pre-existing duty to serve as consideration, unless there is mutual modification (new performance is needed and the modification is not a mere pretense of the newly formed bargain), or burdensome unforeseen circumstances.
Under the UCC, consideration is not required. The Pre-Existing Duty Rule is abolished, and good faith is used instead.
No-oral-modification clauses under the CL used to not be enforced, although have been successful recently. Under the UCC, these are presumptively valid. However, in any case, an oral modification may be valid if there is detrimental reliance."

But, if I don't get at least the first couple down correctly of almost every sentence, I can't finish it/the sentence.

So, I would just need to prompted with: "A modification is a substitute" and I can rattle of the rest probably up to the portion where it reads "The Pre-Existing Duty" and so on.

Do any of you have this problem?

User avatar
zabagabe
Posts: 340
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:48 am

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby zabagabe » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:39 pm

redblueyellow wrote:But, if I don't get at least the first couple down correctly of almost every sentence, I can't finish it/the sentence.

Do any of you have this problem?


Let's merge brains! I have the opposite problem - I am (mostly) comfortable explaining what each of the factors means and requires once I remember the basic factors themselves, but I often struggle to remember all of them, especially the long lists for things like exceptions to warrant requirements, requirements for covenants and easements, etc. Clearly the last two weeks is going to be concocting a bevy of acronyms...

morescotchplease
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:46 am

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby morescotchplease » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:57 am

anyone who took the Bar in Ontario have any administrative advice for the day of? timing, clothing (cold?), eating? I already booked lodging.

JJDancer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:41 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby JJDancer » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:55 am

redblueyellow wrote:How do you all deal with triggers to regurgitate information?

For example: I have most of this generally memorized (for now)
"Modification (changes to K obligations)
A modification is a substitute agreement where parties to an existing K will accept the modification to satisfy an existing K. Consideration is required. The Pre-Existing Duty Rule prevents the completion of a pre-existing duty to serve as consideration, unless there is mutual modification (new performance is needed and the modification is not a mere pretense of the newly formed bargain), or burdensome unforeseen circumstances.
Under the UCC, consideration is not required. The Pre-Existing Duty Rule is abolished, and good faith is used instead.
No-oral-modification clauses under the CL used to not be enforced, although have been successful recently. Under the UCC, these are presumptively valid. However, in any case, an oral modification may be valid if there is detrimental reliance."

But, if I don't get at least the first couple down correctly of almost every sentence, I can't finish it/the sentence.

So, I would just need to prompted with: "A modification is a substitute" and I can rattle of the rest probably up to the portion where it reads "The Pre-Existing Duty" and so on.

Do any of you have this problem?


I can't memorize such specific rule statements. Instead, I stuck to the main points.

Modification = substitute agreement, accept modification as satisfying an existing K.
Need consideration.
Pre-Existing Duty Rule = pre existing duty/obligation NOT = consideration, except in 2 cases:
1) burdensome unforeseen circumstances or
2) mutual modification (both parties have new/addt'l obligation and mod. is not pretense.

UCC = don't need consideration. No PED rule, GF instead (good faith).
NOM clauses presumed valid (unlike CL where only recently allowed).
But oral mod may be ok anyways if detrimental reliance.

I would do weird things like write them on a white board/walk around the house repeating them outloud/ trying to recall from memory. The task of recall is actually more helpful in memorizing than rereading or rewriting or w/e. I also posted some rule statements around the house so I would see them passing by and it helped, if only as a placebo.

redblueyellow
Posts: 465
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby redblueyellow » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:22 am

JJDancer wrote:I can't memorize such specific rule statements. Instead, I stuck to the main points.


I tried this the last time around, but I noticed that I was taking too long to recall the points from memory, let alone accurately because there was no "flow" to the rule.

With longer rule statements that have a general flow, sometimes the rule just blurts out of me with muscle memory when typing.

HOWEVER, that only happens if I can accurately start the actual rule statement as I had typed it originally. This is rarely the case.

I'm also concerned that if I break it up into smaller chunks, that I might misstate the rule on the actual essay by not presenting the information correctly if I'm recalling it and putting it on a page :/

Gah!

User avatar
MURPH
Posts: 854
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:20 am

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby MURPH » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:35 am

I think almost every bar course mis-teaches memorization. There is a way to do it that 2 million years of evolution has made easy. And then there is other ways. Bar prep classes all seem to teach the other ways.
Here is a 20 minute explanation of the right way to memorize random shit,
http://www.ted.com/talks/joshua_foer_fe ... anguage=en

Remembering mnemonics that have sexual innuendo are the only other way to memorize stuff easily and efficiently. Everything else is bullshit.

redblueyellow
Posts: 465
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby redblueyellow » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:56 am

MURPH wrote:I think almost every bar course mis-teaches memorization. There is a way to do it that 2 million years of evolution has made easy. And then there is other ways. Bar prep classes all seem to teach the other ways.
Here is a 20 minute explanation of the right way to memorize random shit,
http://www.ted.com/talks/joshua_foer_fe ... anguage=en

Remembering mnemonics that have sexual innuendo are the only other way to memorize stuff easily and efficiently. Everything else is bullshit.


Hah, I was so desperate, I watched this a couple times already during the last bar session.

I do want to say that I did a fair bit of digging on "memory palaces" and it seems to require a decent amount of practice; essentially it's not something that can be picked up very quickly.

While is an extremely valid strategy, it will fail you if you're not able to put in a decent amount of time into it. However, I tried ran it to see if I could do the same thing on a very minor scale (I used a shell outline for Evidence as my sample). I came up with this (and it's been reasonably successful about 6 days after the fact):

I'm walking up to an Elephant Bar [E = Evidence shell]

As I'm walking up to the door, I see my very attractive friend giving me a bunch of forms to sign. [F = forms]

As I walk in the door to Elephant Bar, I see a lot of sand on the ground [sand = how is that RELEVANT to a restaurant!?].

The first thing I see when I look up past the sand is a life size cut out of Obama [Presidential --> Government'ish --> PUBLIC POLICY issues]

Then as I make a left turn down near pool table, there's a butler there asking me in a very English accent "can I take your coat, sir?" [Butler --> PRIVILEGES]

I don't give him my coat because I'm not wearing a coat. It's just an Elephant Bar, after all.
I keep walking down to the mini-theater room. It's Judge Judy on TV yelling at some Defendant. [Judge Judy yelling --> IMPEACHMENT]

Then, I make a right turn out of the theater room into a room where Eminem is rapping about his daughter and how his life was so screwed up. [Eminem/screwed up life --> CHARACTER EVIDENCE]

Next, I keep going through the room, and exit to the counter of Pawn Stars. Rick is in front of me and I'm apparently negotiating on the price of an item. He's just shaking his head implying that I don't know what I'm talking about and that everything I'm saying is wrong. [RICK SHAKING HEAD --> HEARSAY]

I had to skip some other items, like witnesses, documents, and so forth, but that was the best I could do in the couple minutes I spent on it.

Like the TED Talk says, this is a valid strategy for overall concepts, and not detailed information, but if you're the type of person that needs more information than that (or just terrible at creativity), this doesn't work too effectively.

But, I am going to say, it's now almost a week since I spent about 3 minutes on this memory palace, and I still relatively remember the scene and the shell, but I have been thinking about it about once a day, every other day.

You know what, screw it, I'll do one for Contracts right now.
Last edited by redblueyellow on Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

redblueyellow
Posts: 465
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby redblueyellow » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:39 am

OK, just did a Contracts memory palace and went through it a couple times with no hesitation:

Setting: Car dealership [C = Contracts]

I'm driving up into the lot in my super old car. I park next to the curb. Excellent parking ability, but I can't get out because there's a bunch of bushes in my way.

Super hot salesgirl opens the other door for me. Short shorts, but that makes no sense because it's February. She's wearing a white sweater with the Abercrombie and Fitch "AF" logo on it. The "F" is huge. [F = Formation]

She's asking me if I want to buy a car and trying to get me to sign a contract agreeing to buy one. She's very seductive. I get out my wallet to pay right there on the spot, but I have no cash. [No cash --> can't sign the contract --> Formation Defense]

That's OK, she says. We can finance! Come with me inside! She takes my hand and walks me to her office. She puts more forms in front of me. She starts steeping a tea bag. [tea bag = Terms]
As I'm trying to read the forms, I look up and over her shoulder to her computer. Porn. [P = Performance]

She sees me looking at the screen and asks if I want to get it on right there right now. I decline, the condom in my wallet has long since expired. [condom --> Excuse for Non-Performance]

I go back to reading the forms in front of me. All of a sudden, a huge black double decker bus drives into the lot and literally crashes into my car. I'm pissed. It's the team bus for the Oakland Raiders. [R = Remedies]

I'm running outside yelling obscenities at them. One of the guys is very apologetic and hands me car keys. Dodge Ram pickup. Bright red. Just like the old commercials on TV. [D = Defense to Remedies]

I'm speechless. I get in the truck. Drive out of the parking lot and straight into the lobby of a Taco Bell. Now I'm sad. [T = Third Party]

Well, I guess I got the shell for Contracts down. I just need to fill in all the pieces inside!

User avatar
zabagabe
Posts: 340
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:48 am

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby zabagabe » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:21 pm

Hah! I like these. Once I'm at the memorization point, I will try this.

Meanwhile, I'm curious what other people's favorite and least favorite MBE subjects are?

Love:
Crim
Con Law

Neutral:
Civ Pro
Crim Pro
Torts

Loathe:
Contracts
Evidence
Real Property

I would LOVE to kick Evidence out of the exam. If only we could each vote one subject off the MBE island...




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests