2015 February California Bar Exam

s1m4

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby s1m4 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:24 pm

For those with baressays account:

Property essay 2005, february aka "how to score 75 on property essay with extremely minimalist and vague rule statements"

a male human

Postby a male human » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:40 pm

s1m4 wrote:For those with baressays account:

Property essay 2005, february aka "how to score 75 on property essay with extremely minimalist and vague rule statements"

Highest score I see is 57.5?

PennJD83

Postby PennJD83 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:56 pm

The 75 essay is there. Make sure you are searching under the Feb. administration

hotsummer

Postby hotsummer » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:58 pm

For those of you who take Barbri/Kaplan or whichever the full prep course, do you guys also happen to use baressays.com and find that helpful to have on top of those prep course?

Also, I am taking Kaplan and we are only done with 3 MBE subjects so far, not to mention covering zero CA essays subjects yet. (i'm a first timer.) Based on what you guys have been discussing here, I am getting freaked out. Is this online prep course schedule ridiculously late for the game…?

a male human

Postby a male human » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:15 am

PennJD83 wrote:The 75 essay is there. Make sure you are searching under the Feb. administration

Oops, I was looking at the 57.5 and below section.

Hmm maybe this essay was just a short one. The other answers look similar. Or the bar was easier in 2005. Or Barbri taught essays differently back then.

jbriggs

Postby jbriggs » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:57 am

Anyone have sense of what percentage I should be aiming for with adaptibar? Might not be possible to answer but just thought I'd see if anyone had insight into what percentage I should be trying to get at this point and leading up to exam- would appreciate any thoughts

s1m4

Postby s1m4 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:53 am

jbriggs wrote:Anyone have sense of what percentage I should be aiming for with adaptibar? Might not be possible to answer but just thought I'd see if anyone had insight into what percentage I should be trying to get at this point and leading up to exam- would appreciate any thoughts

I think if you get 70%+ over a large sample of questions and you should feel confident going into CBX that you have the MBE on lock. I was getting around 70% in June and scored 150 MBE (scaled).

65%+ - You have a good chance but you need to make sure you pass your essays.

60% - Kill it on your essays.

BTW -- Adaptibar's Civ Pro questions are insane, so those may bring your overall average down a bit, but I don't think they are representative of what we will see in the exam based on the ten Qs NCBE released.

aretoodeetoo

Postby aretoodeetoo » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:04 am

Hope everyone's staying cool. I think I have Crim Law, Crim Pro, Contracts down to a T. I think I'll almost be there with Torts in a bit.

That leaves... way too much... Super worried about Property, Evidence, and Civ Pro.

Prof Resp is so boring I keep putting it off or it puts me to sleep... So far, all I remember is no fee sharing.

Con Law will probably be fine. How's everyone else doing? We still have time. Positive thoughts y'all

kdesq

Postby kdesq » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:49 pm

s1m4 wrote:
jbriggs wrote:Anyone have sense of what percentage I should be aiming for with adaptibar? Might not be possible to answer but just thought I'd see if anyone had insight into what percentage I should be trying to get at this point and leading up to exam- would appreciate any thoughts

I think if you get 70%+ over a large sample of questions and you should feel confident going into CBX that you have the MBE on lock. I was getting around 70% in June and scored 150 MBE (scaled).

65%+ - You have a good chance but you need to make sure you pass your essays.

60% - Kill it on your essays.

BTW -- Adaptibar's Civ Pro questions are insane, so those may bring your overall average down a bit, but I don't think they are representative of what we will see in the exam based on the ten Qs NCBE released.

Feel exactly the same about Adptibar Civ Pro! I was getting around 68% range steadily and whenever I take Civ Pro questions, my score just go down tremendously to 63%! I took most of the Civ Pro questions and it is so scary even to look at their questions. I had a hard time with Real Property MBE's before. Now that I got better with Real Property, Civ Pro is my biggest obstacle! I am almost at the point where I want to give up Civ Pro questions and just focus on other subjects to make it up.

CourtneyElizabeth

Postby CourtneyElizabeth » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:09 pm

Officially in panic mode. I know nothing and there is a month to the bar. I'e done this twice before, should be a piece of cake, no?

I can't believe I'm taking this for the third friggen time.
Also, to the person that posted "For those with baressays account: Property essay 2005, february aka "how to score 75 on property essay with extremely minimalist and vague rule statements"" feel free to post that here. Thanks.

guys. Help.

TitoSantana

Postby TitoSantana » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:30 pm

Speaking of baressays.com, I thought I'd check out what a 57.7 and below scored essay looked like.
FYI, a 40 scored essay under CivPro Feb 2009 stated
"Whether a Federal court was correct in denying Copyco's motion for change of venue."
"For a federal court to"
And that, my friends, got the person a 40 grade!
The funny thing is that I reviewed a 75 score from baressay with my 60 scored essay and we said pretty much the same thing. It really is a crap shoot and depends on who is grading the exam. The most important thing, other that actually knowing the law is making it easy for the grader to read and follow. Really arbitrary grading though.

a male human

Postby a male human » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:33 am

Well, a 40 is the lowest score you could get lol

I think putting one letter into your answer will get a 40

CourtneyElizabeth

Postby CourtneyElizabeth » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:16 pm

is it bad that I can't memorize any of the law right now?! I'm doing practice essay after practice essay to get the organization down. I have a tutor this time so I know how things should look lay-out wise...but I'm forgetting everytthhiinngg. :(

s1m4

Postby s1m4 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:52 pm

^ dont fall into that mentality - it can be very unproductive. Just set a schedule and do what you need to do everyday, whether that be three essays or five essays, or a certain number of mbes. let your tutor guide you, and just put faith into the fact that if you do what your schedule says - you will pass. This is true. Also, if it leads you to get into panic mode, stop reading ABOUT the bar exam, just put forth all your efforts into completing what is on your schedule.

CourtneyElizabeth

Postby CourtneyElizabeth » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:46 pm

Can someone remind me of the nemonic device thats used for Professional Responsibility? Kaplan used it, but I completely forget. Some like Like "Clients Love blah blah" for duties to client, then "Courts something or other…" for duties owed to the courts???

TheLegalOne

Postby TheLegalOne » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:59 pm

CourtneyElizabeth wrote:Can someone remind me of the nemonic device thats used for Professional Responsibility? Kaplan used it, but I completely forget. Some like Like "Clients Love blah blah" for duties to client, then "Courts something or other…" for duties owed to the courts???

I'm not sure whether Kaplan has something different but I have this from another source.

Clients Love Fierce Counsel; Courts Feel Differently
Client: Confidentiality,Loyalty, Fiduciary responsibilities, Competence
Courts: Candor, Fairness, Dignity/Decorum

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:00 am

Clinton and Lewinsky Fondle Covertly, Congress Feigns Disgust. I don't know what they all stand for anymore.

cndounda1985

Postby cndounda1985 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:41 am

Anyone know where I can access more civ pro MBE questions? I've done the 10 that NCBE posts on there website but don't have anymore. I'm thinking of purchasing this book on Amazon but wanted to check if anyone had access to any. I'd be willing to pay.

Thank you

a male human

Postby a male human » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:50 am

Does BarMax's MBE app or Adaptibar have any?

redblueyellow

Postby redblueyellow » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:19 pm

Now I'm panicking since I saw the 30 day countdown....

I have no problem writing. BUT I HAVE A PROBLEM RETAINING!

What the hell do I do? I can't seem to get a grasp on the material because it's just so overwhelming. I excel at cramming for exams if they're a single subject. I can't do all of these at the same time.

I need help memorizing. What can I do??

I got the critical pass flash cards, I have Kaplan to use online, I have Winnin Time, but there's just too much information. I might get half the rule statements down or at times completely forget to do something (e.g. crim pro: forget to mention standing after describing the 4th amend).

s1m4

Postby s1m4 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:51 am

redblueyellow wrote:Now I'm panicking since I saw the 30 day countdown....

I have no problem writing. BUT I HAVE A PROBLEM RETAINING!

What the hell do I do? I can't seem to get a grasp on the material because it's just so overwhelming. I excel at cramming for exams if they're a single subject. I can't do all of these at the same time.

I need help memorizing. What can I do??

I got the critical pass flash cards, I have Kaplan to use online, I have Winnin Time, but there's just too much information. I might get half the rule statements down or at times completely forget to do something (e.g. crim pro: forget to mention standing after describing the 4th amend).

Go through your conviser, or whatever it is you are using to study, and for every major topic try to write out the rule statement -- then look at how the conviser has written it, and rewrite it. Move on to the next topic and do the same. I have done this for the major MBE topics and it helped a lot -- took about 2-3 hours per topic, assuming it is not the first time you are looking at it.

a male human

Postby a male human » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:58 am

1. Test yourself in actual application (practice essays and MBEs).
2. Understand the concepts and know how to paraphrase the concepts into succinct and accurate statements.
3. Rote memorize the outline. As you practice, you can see which issues are important; focus on those first.

redblueyellow

Postby redblueyellow » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:57 am

s1m4 wrote:Go through your conviser, or whatever it is you are using to study, and for every major topic try to write out the rule statement -- then look at how the conviser has written it, and rewrite it. Move on to the next topic and do the same. I have done this for the major MBE topics and it helped a lot -- took about 2-3 hours per topic, assuming it is not the first time you are looking at it.

I have Kaplan's conviser equivalent book (the Bar Points - Subject Memorization and Review). I am definitely going through it, but I seem to be able to recall the rule statement after I read it, maybe for a little bit afterwards, and then once I process more information, I lose what I had before. Are you just constantly rewriting them over and over again until they stick? There's a month left and I don't know if that much information can be successfully hardwired in that much time.

redblueyellow

Postby redblueyellow » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:59 am

a male human wrote:1. Test yourself in actual application (practice essays and MBEs).
2. Understand the concepts and know how to paraphrase the concepts into succinct and accurate statements.
3. Rote memorize the outline. As you practice, you can see which issues are important; focus on those first.

I tend to do "OK" in MBEs, due to process of elimination. If I can remember half the rule, that will at least allow me to disregard at least one answer choice and I work from there.

I was planning on doing rote memorization which is why I bought the Winnin Time book since it apparently condenses the primary issues from each topic. Obviously I'll be missing some minor topics or JX splits, etc with that book, but it's at least shorter than the regular Kaplan-convisor equivalent.

When I look at the essays and sample outlines/answers they provide, I'm like "oh yea, I remember that part" but when it comes to the application of that one my own, I draw a blank. What am I doing wrong?

a male human

Postby a male human » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:13 am

redblueyellow wrote:
a male human wrote:1. Test yourself in actual application (practice essays and MBEs).

I tend to do "OK" in MBEs, due to process of elimination. If I can remember half the rule, that will at least allow me to disregard at least one answer choice and I work from there.

I was planning on doing rote memorization which is why I bought the Winnin Time book since it apparently condenses the primary issues from each topic. Obviously I'll be missing some minor topics or JX splits, etc with that book, but it's at least shorter than the regular Kaplan-convisor equivalent.

When I look at the essays and sample outlines/answers they provide, I'm like "oh yea, I remember that part" but when it comes to the application of that one my own, I draw a blank. What am I doing wrong?

You're not doing anything wrong. It's natural to feel familiar with something yet not be able to reproduce it. However, mere familiarity is not enough. This is why you should start using the material in action so that you can do the same on game day. Just the process of recall or attempting to recall will harden that connection in your brain and further solidify in whatever you were trying to recall. http://www.barexamtoolbox.com/memorizat ... ple-1-2-3/

What is causing your overwhelm?
- If it's the sheer volume, break it down into subjects. Even if you start now, you have about 2 days a subject. Take one day to review and one day to practice essays (if you're taking this route, you still should do MBEs every day and maybe a PT a weekend).
- If you don't have enough time to practice essays, don't do whole essays but just identify the issues and write out the rules, ideally after you have a few whole essays under your belt for each subject. You will see which issues are more frequently tested and automatically weigh the importance of those issues and rules thereof as you practice.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”