2015 February California Bar Exam

a male human

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby a male human » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:21 pm

You hear that, guys? We got some gunners here!

I kid. Well, here's my plan: I'll post one or two more prototypes (depending on if people found the remedies one helpful at all) here, and if those are also found useful, I'll set up a private list for those interested so they can get the rest without my cluttering up the thread.

Elms

Postby Elms » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:26 pm

Ahhhhhh just got my admittance ticket email! Sh*t's getting real! :shock:

Princess Belle

Postby Princess Belle » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:29 pm

kdesq wrote:
underthirty wrote:
a male human wrote:Might be recruiting beta testers later, again depending on interest :)

I volunteer.

Me too! I loved your contracts one and remedies is also great! Thanks Male Human!!!

I volunteer as tribute! Add me to that list as well! :-)

Princess Belle

Postby Princess Belle » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:34 pm

Elms wrote:Ahhhhhh just got my admittance ticket email! Sh*t's getting real! :shock:

I just got mine as well. They should send those emails at night so that it wouldn't be totally inappropriate for me to want a glass of wine after seeing it. :|

zabagabe

Postby zabagabe » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:13 pm

Princess Belle wrote:
Elms wrote:Ahhhhhh just got my admittance ticket email! Sh*t's getting real! :shock:

I just got mine as well. They should send those emails at night so that it wouldn't be totally inappropriate for me to want a glass of wine after seeing it. :|

Hi team, I haven't received anything yet, but I think that's because I haven't yet graduated, and so I haven't met all the requirements to sit the bar. Does that sound right to anyone else? Just wanted to see before I try to contact the CA bar and figure out what's going on. Thanks!

Princess Belle

Postby Princess Belle » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:27 pm

zabagabe wrote:
Princess Belle wrote:

Hi team, I haven't received anything yet, but I think that's because I haven't yet graduated, and so I haven't met all the requirements to sit the bar. Does that sound right to anyone else? Just wanted to see before I try to contact the CA bar and figure out what's going on. Thanks!

Did you try logging into the state bar website? Go to the 'Future Lawyers' page and click on 'Check My Admissions Status' in the top right corner. Once you log in, if your ticket is ready, it will be available to print there.

mhub172

Postby mhub172 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:43 pm

zabagabe wrote:
Princess Belle wrote:

I graduated from an out-of-state law school and I didn't get my admittance ticket for the July exam until the second week of July (exam was the last week). It was way later than those who graduated from in-state schools. I had to call CA bar though and made sure they received my official transcript and certificate of graduation. CA does not let you know if your application is insufficient, so it's probably a good idea to call them. I then had to double check with my school that they had sent everything that was needed, which they hadn't because they said they never got the request for the official transcript. Bottom line: it's a good idea to just call and check (especially because there is a final date that CBX must receive the documents by, it was July 15 for the summer exam).

Elms

Postby Elms » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:10 pm

mhub172 wrote:
zabagabe wrote:
Princess Belle wrote:

I graduated from an out-of-state law school and I didn't get my admittance ticket for the July exam until the second week of July (exam was the last week). It was way later than those who graduated from in-state schools. I had to call CA bar though and made sure they received my official transcript and certificate of graduation. CA does not let you know if your application is insufficient, so it's probably a good idea to call them. I then had to double check with my school that they had sent everything that was needed, which they hadn't because they said they never got the request for the official transcript. Bottom line: it's a good idea to just call and check (especially because there is a final date that CBX must receive the documents by, it was July 15 for the summer exam).

I don't have any further insight to add, except to say from anecdotal evidence it seems to me not everyone always gets their tickets at the same time. But I agree, it's a good idea to call and check. It can't hurt, and better to be aware earlier rather than later if there does happen to be something you need to take care of!

Elms

Postby Elms » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:11 pm

Princess Belle wrote:

Wine is always appropriate :)

zabagabe

Postby zabagabe » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:27 pm

mhub172 wrote:
zabagabe wrote:
Princess Belle wrote:

Thanks. I called and it looks like that's it. I'll definitely be sure to hound both my law school and the CA bar before the Feb. 10 deadline! (And all my professors who will need to get their damn grades in! - but nicely :lol: )

aretoodeetoo

Postby aretoodeetoo » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:18 am

Was only able to get 1 night at the hotel (didn't even think about this). On the plus side, was able to use points rather than shell out that absurd ~$300.

s1m4

Postby s1m4 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:14 am

aretoodeetoo wrote:Was only able to get 1 night at the hotel (didn't even think about this). On the plus side, was able to use points rather than shell out that absurd ~$300.

Why only 1 night, was everything booked?

BTW, not bar related, but personal interest: what points program do you use??

btw, anyone willing to share the filled in CIV PRO lecture for barbri? Im not planning on sitting through any of those lectures, but considering civ pro -- if anyone filled in the PDF I would be very grateful.

aretoodeetoo

Postby aretoodeetoo » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:06 am

s1m4 wrote:
aretoodeetoo wrote:Was only able to get 1 night at the hotel (didn't even think about this). On the plus side, was able to use points rather than shell out that absurd ~$300.

Why only 1 night, was everything booked?

BTW, not bar related, but personal interest: what points program do you use??

btw, anyone willing to share the filled in CIV PRO lecture for barbri? Im not planning on sitting through any of those lectures, but considering civ pro -- if anyone filled in the PDF I would be very grateful.

Yeah looked like everything was booked. I had a Marriot annual loyalty certificate that I didn't have any use for... which actually made me look into the hotel situation. First night (probably most important one is booked pretty full. I'll be enjoying an hour commute.

TitoSantana

Postby TitoSantana » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:36 am

Has anyone taken any two or three day "cram" courses offered? I'm in NY and have limited time with work and study going on. Wondering if any course is worth the cost and time in traveling.

a male human

Postby a male human » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:54 am

I thought it was a waste for me to post this only in the general 2015 bar thread, so I've copied it here (because CA is where it's at)

a male human wrote:
numbertwo88 wrote:Mortgages literally make me want to cry. I have a nice property MBE outline I've written ... it's noticeably blank in the mortgage section.

Tomorrow is understand mortgages or die day. In addition to security interests in foreclosures ... ugh.

Here's a quick rundown of mortgages. Should be enough to answer most MBE questions if you can do the BFP recording tracing thing.

Mortgage: Interest designed to secure a performance of obligation, usually a debt repayment
__i. Purchase money mortgage: Loan enabling acquisition of a property or improvements, 1st priority only if recorded
__ii. Theories of title: Lien theory (majority MBE)—mortgagee gets security interest on property until foreclosure. Title theory—mortgage gets title and entitlement to possession of property until mortgage satisfied or foreclosed
__iii. Debtor remedies: Equitable right of redemption—pay off debt or bring loan current prior to foreclosure sale (cannot waive/“clog”). Statutory right of redemption—redeem the property for w/in a fixed period after foreclosure sale
__iv. Creditor remedies: Foreclose or seek deficiency judgment against person primarily liable (grantee who “assumed” mortgage and/or grantor if grantee bought w/o novation or “subject to”—if ambiguous, default is “subject to”)
____1. Priority order: Foreclosure destroys junior interests on notice, entitled to proceeds in priority but not foreclosure
____2. Exoneration: Original mortgagor can compel mortgagee to proceed first against primarily liable person

Wish we had a spoiler tag to hide large blocks of text though.

a male human

Postby a male human » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:01 am

a male human

Postby a male human » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:12 am

a male human wrote:Constitutional law essay approach sheet is out.

Contracts: https://www.dropbox.com/s/w1co6elhll6l4 ... s.pdf?dl=0
Remedies: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4lol7utdb0mdz ... s.pdf?dl=0
Con Law: https://www.dropbox.com/s/enio7foy3qprz ... w.pdf?dl=0

Sign-up form and deets later

For those who are interested in test driving the one pagers, please go here for a way to stay abreast:

http://www.makethisyourlasttime.com/app ... ta-signup/

I prefer not to clutter up the topic with this stuff, so that's probably the best way to get the full set or whatever I finish in the next couple weeks. Thank you.

melvinIII

Postby melvinIII » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:27 am

I'm curious about people's strategies for attacking the PTs.

In July I followed Kaplan's advice to spend the first 90 minutes reading and outlining my answer but I'm now thinking that's probably too long. I got a 60 on the first and a 55 on the second. I'm assuming that I probably would have gotten 60 on both if I would have remembered to add a statement of facts on the second PT. I would like to get at least 65 points on each for the February bar.

I'm especially curious about the strategies of people who failed but scored well on the PTs and also people who passed. Interested in both study techniques that worked as well as techniques for actually taking the exam (did you highlight? Type your notes as you read the library/file? Handwrite notes and then write a quick outline before you started typing?)

aretoodeetoo

Postby aretoodeetoo » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:48 am

holy crap there are a lot of rules in Contracts. getting brutalized just reading all this stuff, gotta somehow memorize it in a month. Crazy.

Also if I had access to these conviser outlines I probably wouldn't have had to go to class at all. sheesh, really feeling overwhelmed here and it's been like a week of studying

s1m4

Postby s1m4 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:05 pm

melvinIII wrote:I'm curious about people's strategies for attacking the PTs.

In July I followed Kaplan's advice to spend the first 90 minutes reading and outlining my answer but I'm now thinking that's probably too long. I got a 60 on the first and a 55 on the second. I'm assuming that I probably would have gotten 60 on both if I would have remembered to add a statement of facts on the second PT. I would like to get at least 65 points on each for the February bar.

I'm especially curious about the strategies of people who failed but scored well on the PTs and also people who passed. Interested in both study techniques that worked as well as techniques for actually taking the exam (did you highlight? Type your notes as you read the library/file? Handwrite notes and then write a quick outline before you started typing?)

Curious about this as well - I got a 60 and 55 on my PTs. I didn't write out any PTs for July, but have done about five so far now. One thing that I am doing for next time is reading the rules first -- My prior thinking was that by reading the file first you would get an idea of how the rules fit into the big picture of what the PT is about. However, by practicing, I found that for me this was a bad idea -- I realized that I was skimming over some rules because I thought that they were not applicable causing me to miss issues, and I also found that because the rules and cases are more complex and dense than the file, my mind was not as "fresh" to understand all the complexities, and I would sometimes miss or glaze major issues.

a male human

Postby a male human » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:58 pm

s1m4 wrote:

Curious about this as well - I got a 60 and 55 on my PTs. I didn't write out any PTs for July, but have done about five so far now. One thing that I am doing for next time is reading the rules first -- My prior thinking was that by reading the file first you would get an idea of how the rules fit into the big picture of what the PT is about. However, by practicing, I found that for me this was a bad idea -- I realized that I was skimming over some rules because I thought that they were not applicable causing me to miss issues, and I also found that because the rules and cases are more complex and dense than the file, my mind was not as "fresh" to understand all the complexities, and I would sometimes miss or glaze major issues.

As far as I know, there are three sensible ways to start a PT:
1. Start with the file.
2. Start with the library.
3. Start with whichever is smaller (you can even find out before the session begins...!)

My preference is to see which of the file or the library is smaller, and start from that. The less information you're holding in your head, the easier it is to apply to the other part.

My next preference is start with the library, which generally has less to work with (set of rules rather than a collection of facts you don't know are relevant until later).

Compose

Postby Compose » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:49 pm

I passed in July and I believe it was the PTs and the MBE that got me through (I have no idea but those two areas were the least of my concerns). I also took Kaplan but ignored suggestions/approaches where I wasn't comfortable. The "read and outline for 90 minutes" was one that I chose to skip. I also "outlined" on the computer as opposed to a separate sheet of paper. I type slower than you kids today so I needed efficiencies that you may not require.

My approach to PTs (as best I remember...'cause this exam is a dark time in my life and I am in absolute awe of anyone willing to do this to themselves more than once):
1) Read the Memo or whatever the thing is called that has your real instructions ~5 minutes.
Read it twice for good measure because if you can follow, it you can win.

2) Either while reading or immediately after reading type out your headings ~0 - 2 minutes
Some, but not all, of the headings are in that memo or in the "firm's instructions on how to write a whateverthefuckitis."
For example, July 2014 PT-A has two headings: "Analysis of Notice of Abatement Charges" & "Jane Maya's Likelihood of Success." (Under the second you could put a sub-heading of "County's Potential Arguments." I did not do this. As best I recall, I didn't even address the County's potential arguments.)

3) Read/skim the rest of the file ~ 5 minutes
Get an idea of what is going on...don't waste a lot of time here. You are coming back for a more thorough reading but you should have an idea of your client's/whatever's story before you move on.

4) Read the library and type up the rules you will be citing. ~45 minutes
This will take a little bit of time but because you know the task and you have the gist of the story, the rules are obvious. Put them on the exam now because CTRL-C (Not X, C) and CTRL-V are your superhero allies. You who are about to handwrite, I salute you. There is going to be something you want in every document in the library. Statutes are the suck because you might need all of it. Cases will have one or two rules that need to be pulled out. One of the cases should have a 1-X elements rule, that is definitely getting used. You can also put in your sub-headers and sub-sub-headers now (or while you're reading the file)

5) Read the file and highlight ~20 minutes
I didn't type this immediately because at this point I'm just recognizing facts that are meaningful given the rules. The highlights may or may not make it into the answer but if they do, it's rarely verbatim. Because you "know" the law at this point, you know what parts of the story are actually important and which are not. You should be able to move through this quickly.

6) Write like a motherfucker
Just start somewhere (preferably the beginning) and start marrying up facts with rules. Before you start writing you should already be able to see how the end product should operate. There is probably going to be some big thing that is easily dealt with but that opens (or closes) the door for a bunch of little things. Deal with the big one and work from there.
I don't want to look but I think that PT-A was about a campground that had a bunch of "permanent" RVs on it. The county wanted to get rid of those and there was a statute that dealt with (I had to look) land use including non-conforming use. The non-conforming use was my main issue and everything else was a lesser one. So I write about how the client was arguably non-conforming before the zoning and therefore she can keep on not conforming. The RVs, the three-part test, and whatever else was left all followed this main argument. Pick the one you think makes everything else meaningless if it comes out a certain way...that's your main and I would start writing on that one.

7) At the halfway point, go pee, get a drink of water, drink your water, stare out the window at the jolly idiots who aren't taking the bar, wish you were them, look at the other dude out there with you drinking water and think that he's a smug asshole who probably went to Yale and thinks he can just hangout in the hall while there's a fucking performance test in progress, look out the window one more time and be glad you don't live where snow exists (unless you do) ~5 minutes

8) Write more and move stuff where it needs to go.
All that typing of stuff in the beginning is going to pay off here. You can copy and paste (don't cut and paste, copy and paste and delete when you don't need it anymore) that stuff all over the place. You should have a pretty good understanding of how the legal story flows at this point and you just want to organize in line with that story. Don't forget to address your elements rule with a separate analysis for each element. This might only require a single paragraph but make sure that you use a heading for each. Take a look at your answer and see if it is "Big Problem > smaller problem > smaller problem." If it isn't, move stuff so that it is. Use headers like they're on clearance. Make sure you've written something under the main headers you grabbed from the memo. If you run out of time and leave a sub-header without something, you can survive - don't run out of time on a main memo header. Again, the July 2014 PT-A had a huge amount of stuff under "Analysis" and not a ton under "Chances" but it did have stuff ("Ms. Maya should defeat the county's claim on X because...Even if the court disagrees with Y it should find that Ms. Maya prevails because Z").

9) When it is over, understand that it is over and don't waste a lot of time and effort thinking about it. If it is PT-A, that blows because it means that you still have two days to go...forget I said that...just get ready for the MBE where you're going to make all your money. If it is PT-B, don't clap.

If this sounds like a horrible plan, do not follow it. Do the thing that you are comfortable doing. This exam is law school condensed. There is no right way to approach it and what you find successful might be the worst thing in the world for me. The only suggestion I can make that everyone should do is:
I. HEADING
A. sub-heading
i. sub-sub-heading

For everything you write.

mintjulep

Postby mintjulep » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:00 pm

I hope this isn't out of place, but why does Barbri explain both UTC and majority/minority rules for Trusts? This is in both their Conviser and the "California" book. I would expected that only the rule for California would be relevant, but the books never identify which rule is actually used by California.

bb8900

Postby bb8900 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:44 am

Does anyone know the accuracy rate we need to get on the MBE to pass after they curve it? Basically, what is the average curve rate? Some have said that after the curve, we only need to get like 50% of the MBE questions correct. Others have said the number is much higher.

Thanks!

SpAcEmAn SpLiFF

Postby SpAcEmAn SpLiFF » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:01 pm

I moved to CA recently and I'm going to be taking the Feb exam for the first time. I'd previously passed NY and NJ. From my previous experience, devoting an extensive amount of time to state law distinctions was a waste because most of the NY and NJ essays asked you about federal law anyways. There were only a handful of opportunities where you could add a sentence or two about the applicable state law distinction to score an extra point here or there. Is this the case for the CA exam?

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”