2015 February California Bar Exam

TheLegalOne

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby TheLegalOne » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:29 am

ginger root wrote:
TheLegalOne wrote:I'll preface my answer with "I'm not 100% sure". However, I'm currently using Themis and I requested a hardcopy of the MBEs for Property because I had difficulty doing those from the screen. A Themis rep responded that the MBEs were copyrighted/licensed (I'm assuming by NCBEX); therefore, they could not give me a hard copy. Additionally, I am using multiple practice MBE sources and have actually seen about 4-5 of the exact same questions in Themis and 2 other sources.

Which other MBE sources are you using? My one gripe about Themis is that I think there is value in doing some practice on paper like the real exam, and I don't always feel like doing 34 or 50 questions at a time. I'm thinking of getting an MBE question book to supplement. I know everyone recommends Emmanuel's, but I am just looking for all questions, no "tactics." Thanks.

In addition to Themis, I'm using NCBEX, Emmanuel's, PMBR Volume 1 Red Book, One-Timers (on-line but includes lectures and great breakdown of correct and incorrect answers, plus I can select sub-topics only), and BarPassers. There are written warnings about using the old released questions from BarPassers because the format is different now, but someone gave it to me, so I thought I'd check it out. I've only completed about 200 from BarPassers and I don't think I'll complete any additional ones from BarPassers. Also, I'm just rotating so I don't get used to one format but Themis feels closer to NCBEX so far.

I'm pretty sure I found the 3-4 identical questions between NCBEX, Themis and One Timers.

kdesq

Postby kdesq » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:50 pm

How is everyone feeling about Civ Pro?
I felt good about Civ Pro essays when I was preparing for July 2014.

But now that I am preparing for MBE's and essays, I am concerned. I am not listening to any Barbri lectures this time around for the other subjects but now I am debating whether to listen to Civ Pro lectures.
I am doing Adaptibar and my civ pro score there has been 38%!!! I had a heart attack!!! So hard to raise it because it seems that I am not good at all the details of Civ Pro...

I just did Barbri's online assessment for CA distinction and Fed and my score was horrible, which completely shook me!!!
There are 3 lectures for Barbri Civ Pro: 2 for Fed and 1 for CA. I can listen to 2x but I just hate to spend 5 hours of lectures when I can use it for other stuffs and when I am not sure whether I can learn better by lectures.

Any suggestions or tips?

gaagoots

Postby gaagoots » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:28 pm

kdesq wrote:How is everyone feeling about Civ Pro?

But now that I am preparing for MBE's and essays, I am concerned. I am not listening to any Barbri lectures this time around for the other subjects but now I am debating whether to listen to Civ Pro lectures.
I am doing Adaptibar and my civ pro score there has been 38%!!! I had a heart attack!!! So hard to raise it because it seems that I am not good at all the details of Civ Pro...

I just did Barbri's online assessment for CA distinction and Fed and my score was horrible, which completely shook me!!!
There are 3 lectures for Barbri Civ Pro: 2 for Fed and 1 for CA. I can listen to 2x but I just hate to spend 5 hours of lectures when I can use it for other stuffs and when I am not sure whether I can learn better by lectures.

Any suggestions or tips?

I'm covering Civ Pro now. I just ordered the Critical Pass Civ Pro flashcards. It is taking forever for them to update the app I have on my iPad so I just purchased the paper cards. IMO-most critical pass flashcards are the condensed BarBri lecture outlines.

Although I like Freer--I can't imagine doing it again.

I find myself arguing with civ pro mbe's more than the others. At least when I compare my civ pro MBE scores to CA and Nationally I am not alone on striking out.

Evaly

Postby Evaly » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:45 pm

I just looked at the laptop requirement for CBX and it says "OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) is not supported." http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/Portals ... 0215_R.pdf

I already upgraded my mac to Yosemite. Does anyone know if this means I have to find a different computer to take the bar?

underthirty

Postby underthirty » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:58 pm

Last edited by underthirty on Sat May 30, 2015 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gaagoots

Postby gaagoots » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:08 pm

underthirty wrote:
Evaly wrote:I just looked at the laptop requirement for CBX and it says "OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) is not supported." http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/Portals ... 0215_R.pdf

I already upgraded my mac to Yosemite. Does anyone know if this means I have to find a different computer to take the bar?

Maybe that's outdated? ExamSoft's minimum system requirements include Yosemite.

I just called ExamSoft and spoke to Tech Support Yosemite 10.10 IS SUPPORTED sounds like a State Bar glitch. So examsoft will contact the State Bar to change that Phew

a male human

Postby a male human » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:34 pm

gaagoots wrote:
kdesq wrote:How is everyone feeling about Civ Pro?

Any suggestions or tips?

I'm covering Civ Pro now. I just ordered the Critical Pass Civ Pro flashcards. It is taking forever for them to update the app I have on my iPad so I just purchased the paper cards. IMO-most critical pass flashcards are the condensed BarBri lecture outlines.

Although I like Freer--I can't imagine doing it again.

I find myself arguing with civ pro mbe's more than the others. At least when I compare my civ pro MBE scores to CA and Nationally I am not alone on striking out.

Generally I'm not a proponent of flashcards, but I personally found Law in a Flash cards for civ pro pretty helpful. It's a series of background rules and hypos applying the rules.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?_encoding=UTF8 ... C74K2HJVD5

Evaly

Postby Evaly » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:36 pm

gaagoots wrote:
underthirty wrote:
Evaly wrote:I just looked at the laptop requirement for CBX and it says "OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) is not supported." http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/Portals ... 0215_R.pdf

Maybe that's outdated? ExamSoft's minimum system requirements include Yosemite.

I just called ExamSoft and spoke to Tech Support Yosemite 10.10 IS SUPPORTED sounds like a State Bar glitch. So examsoft will contact the State Bar to change that Phew

Whew..good to know. Thanks for calling them.

aretoodeetoo

Postby aretoodeetoo » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:15 am

Hi all, joining this fun a bit late.

Moved after finishing law school out of state last May and decided late that I'd sit for the Feb bar (worked non-law for last few months).

Brain feels a little alive. Worried about the amount of material. A veteran in knowing the effects of worrying, stress, burning out, anxiety, etc. Have a bunch of BarBri books (unused) from a friend. Only cracked the conviser yesterday but feeling strangely okay.

Here for support and I'm sure I'll be needing support in a week. :D

Just read through the thread and it looks like this is going to suck. :evil:

zabagabe

Postby zabagabe » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:49 pm

TheLegalOne wrote:Are people studying or still preparing to study? It's been pretty quiet on the forums.

I started studying in early December, then had a setback for a week (procrastination). I refocused and have been going strong with Themis since 12/22. I'm trying not to look at the calendar and panic. I've been checking the CA 2014 thread for tips and also noticed the 2015 has been pretty quiet.
What's a typical day for Themis like? You don't have to look at your calendar if it's going to make you anxious.

I have modified Themis a little by adding additional MBEs in the morning before I begin Themis and an extra essay on topics I know I am weak in. But, generally, my Themis day looks like:

(1) Read Themis' long a$$ subject outline; (2) view lecture (complete handout) w/assessments after each chapter; (3) review completed subject handout; (4) view MBE workshop; (5) complete & review MBEs assigned; (6) view applicable essay workshop; (7) complete & review practice essay (some days there aren't any assigned, but I add one). On a daily basis, I work on a condensed subject outline, review Critical Pass Cards, and write down/practice missed rules, etc. from MBEs practice.

Some days it just feels like a daily checklist. Other days I feel I'm building knowledge and retention.

Reading this is good motivation! Unfortunately I'm still in finals (I'm graduating after fall semester and our fall semester finals are after the holidays), so I can't get to it full time until Jan. 15. But I've done all of MBE Evidence (the one MBE subject I didn't take in law school) and reviewed Con Law, and have been doing MBE questions for those. Trying to knock out CA Community Property and CA Wills and Trusts before the 15th too, as those are the other subjects that will be brand new to me.

Aim is to try to get through all the lectures and outlines of the materials by around Jan. 25, so then I can just focus on practice tests and essays. Spoke to my Themis rep and he said it's doable, but will need to buckle down and stay focused. Reading everyone else's FAR more advanced study accomplishments is definitely keeping me motivated! :)

Elms

Postby Elms » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:57 pm

Just curious... anyone else planning to handwrite?

zabagabe

Postby zabagabe » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:03 pm

Elms wrote:Just curious... anyone else planning to handwrite?

I'm doing computer, because I type pretty quickly and I can't imagine being able to outline and organize my thoughts coherently in writing for two full days. I've been curious to know though if they grade differently for handwriters? I can't imagine someone hand writing can write as long or as thoroughly as someone who's typing their essays?

Elms

Postby Elms » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:08 pm

zabagabe wrote:

I'm doing computer, because I type pretty quickly and I can't imagine being able to outline and organize my thoughts coherently in writing for two full days. I've been curious to know though if they grade differently for handwriters? I can't imagine someone hand writing can write as long or as thoroughly as someone who's typing their essays?

I don't know about the grading... legend has it they go easier on handwriters but I don't know if it's true or how anyone could really verify that.

I type really quickly, but I focus better when I'm handwriting, and I like that for issue spotting. I find when I handwrite I tend to work more efficiently and coherently overall. But I feel like a lone wolf because everyone else seems to be typing.

Also... I'm terrified, I mean TERRIFIED of a computer/software failure. Haha.

zabagabe

Postby zabagabe » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:14 pm

Elms wrote:
zabagabe wrote:

I don't know about the grading... legend has it they go easier on handwriters but I don't know if it's true or how anyone could really verify that.

I type really quickly, but I focus better when I'm handwriting, and I like that for issue spotting. I find when I handwrite I tend to work more efficiently and coherently overall. But I feel like a lone wolf because everyone else seems to be typing.

Also... I'm terrified, I mean TERRIFIED of a computer/software failure. Haha.

That makes sense. I completely agree with you that I intake and mentally retain information better away from a screen. But in my case I imagine I would lose any gain there in how much slower and incomprehensibly I write by hand. I'd say going with whatever mode is more comfortable for you is best, since it's as much about feeling at ease as anything else. And yeah, if some computer failure happens, I'll hope they find a way to compensate for it. They can't possibly repeat the software glitch this past July, right? ;)

Also, I have to think they must have a more relaxed rubric for hand written exams. There's just no way it could be as long or detailed, unless, of course, it's really not about length, and more about concise answers. I guess I'll know once I start taking practice exams. ;)

Elms

Postby Elms » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:53 pm

I hope they don't repeat the software glitch from last July! That was not cool!

melvinIII

Postby melvinIII » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:35 pm

Does anyone know if there are explanations anywhere to the old published NCBE MBE questions? They have the answers at the end but I don't really want to use them without explanations to make sure I'm getting them right for the right reasons or to figure out why I got them wrong.

redblueyellow

Postby redblueyellow » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:54 pm

Does anyone have any advice on whether Winnin T-i-m-e from c-a-l-w-e-a-s-e-l dot come is worth it (not sure if private bar prep company names are allowed here, so I'm writing it so it won't get picked up as spam)? The professor is also a bar bri grader and an adjunct LWR professor at Hastings, but his site seems so salesman-y and gimmicky.

The free trial on Amazon was not really helpful in figuring out if I want to get it or not, but truth be told, it did not appear that helpful (the sample preview).

That being said, the book is supposed to have condenses rule statements and templates for essay questions that seems to be what i'm looking for.

Alternatively, are there any other books that have easy to remember rule statements and essay templates with standard boiler plate language that you would recommend? The shorter/simpler the better... not too much time left and my memory sucks, lol.

a male human

Postby a male human » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:51 am

underthirty wrote:
TitoSantana wrote:@MaleHuman. Great one-page essay approach sheet. Keep them coming. Thanks

x2

kdesq wrote:Love it!!! This is awesome! I was thinking about something like this but did not have time for making them myself yet!

s1m4 wrote:Looks good man, wish I had this last time - I prefer this over leansheets.

Sorry, I haven't had time to do much more because I spent the entire weekend finishing a draft of a new post about an approach to practice. I did end up making a remedies one (2nd link):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w1co6elhll6l4 ... s.pdf?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4lol7utdb0mdz ... s.pdf?dl=0

I started on one for constitutional law, but community property and criminal procedure seem to be most ripe (not moot hahaha hmm) for template language. Depending on reactions, I will go for another one asap.

For now, I want to rest a bit as I resist dreading about starting yet another new work week with an abrasive boss who, no joke, induces a physiological flight-or-fight response every time I communicate with :( Are you sure you want to be a lawyer?!

redblueyellow

Postby redblueyellow » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:50 am

a male human wrote:Sorry, I haven't had time to do much more because I spent the entire weekend finishing a draft of a new post about an approach to practice. I did end up making a remedies one (2nd link):

Hey, thanks! Question for you: your site has all the magicsheets ready for download/purchase, but I'm confused what you meant above? You've completed drafting all of them or are you in the process of updating them? Or did you literally just make them? I'm not sure which version, if any, I'd be buying. Thanks!

redblueyellow

Postby redblueyellow » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:10 am

s1m4 wrote:What I'm using this time around is the Bar Code Sheat Sheets -- Im finding this very helpful for setting up essays - it has essay templates for most of the major topics for all the subjects (including Cali) - If I had this last time I probably would have looked at 10b5 more carefully :(

Does that handle the latest civ pro mbe? Its print edition is like 2013 or something.

aretoodeetoo

Postby aretoodeetoo » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:10 pm

Another week starts...

a male human

Postby a male human » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:40 pm

redblueyellow wrote:
a male human wrote:Sorry, I haven't had time to do much more because I spent the entire weekend finishing a draft of a new post about an approach to practice. I did end up making a remedies one (2nd link):

Hey, thanks! Question for you: your site has all the magicsheets ready for download/purchase, but I'm confused what you meant above? You've completed drafting all of them or are you in the process of updating them? Or did you literally just make them? I'm not sure which version, if any, I'd be buying. Thanks!

Ah, the Magicsheets (condensed outlines) have been ready to go for a while. You'd be getting the most updated version of these (including future updates).

The part you bolded is regarding the approach sheets I've been working on and recently sharing here. I'm not sure if a complete package will be ready for public release for the Feb folks because I want them to be solid and tested. Might be recruiting beta testers later, again depending on interest :)

Re "draft," I was talking about something completely different—articles/posts I publish on my own site or (these days) contribute to another. The word "approach" might have been confusing, my bad.

underthirty

Postby underthirty » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:03 pm

Last edited by underthirty on Sat May 30, 2015 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aretoodeetoo

Postby aretoodeetoo » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:17 pm

underthirty wrote:
a male human wrote:Might be recruiting beta testers later, again depending on interest :)

I volunteer.

Haha sign me up too

kdesq

Postby kdesq » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:18 pm

underthirty wrote:
a male human wrote:Might be recruiting beta testers later, again depending on interest :)

I volunteer.

Me too! I loved your contracts one and remedies is also great! Thanks Male Human!!!

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”