2015 February California Bar Exam

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby a male human » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:01 pm

s1m4 wrote:
a male human wrote:
s1m4 wrote:re-taker checking in - Failed by 10 points due to over-stress and low scores on the essays. Have a free re-take with barbri.

I've been studying on and off since I found out I failed (doing about 20-25 MBEs a day, although without reviewing any). I started rereading all the conviser materials a few weeks ago and am just about to finish getting through the MBE topics. Doing 20mbes a day and writing out one full essay each day.

Completely ignoring all the barbri lectures because it seems like a waste of time the second time around. Trying to be as efficient as I can to prevent getting burned out like last time.

Once you feel comfortable with the application portion of IRAC, I would say just grind out outlines instead of entire essays. Take 15-30 minutes listing the issues, sub-issues, exceptions, etc. as well as the associated rules. I like to do this by hand because it's what I'll be doing on test day. This will let you see more of the commonly tested issues.

Personally I think identifying issues and stating the rule correctly are more important. Once it clicks in your brain how to apply the rules to the hypo, there's not really a need to waste time doing it over and over and wasting mental energy. At that point, I would do 1 full essay out of 4 essays you practice.

Do compare your answers with model/sample answers. Same with MBEs because that's how you find out what you're weak at.



Thanks - I think in general this is great advice, and in fact, I solely did that prior to the July bar. On test day, I was so nervous and over-studied, that the second that I saw the first exam question, I literally just threw up rules all over the page about contracts. I ended up misreading part of the question because I was going so fast and ended up failing that essay. Result : 55

An essay or two later I came across a complicated community property / trusts question. I knew all the rules cold, but I was just extremely confused as to how to organize the answer, and must have spent a nerve-wrecking ten minutes just re-reading and thinking. There was some issue where I was certain that it could come out either way, and it created a fork in the analysis. I didn't know which path to go down because I was confused and that led to a serious lack of structure in that essay. Result: 55

I want to get that out of my system now, and make sure that I can manipulate the answer and fact pattern in my head and feel 100% comfortable about the structure.

In a week or two I will get back to just outlining.

Anyway, time to get back to crim pro :)

Yeah definitely! Do full essays until you get the hang of how the answer should be structured for each particular subject.

Speaking of which, I've been thinking of making one-pager essay approach sheets (because I am on the verge of abandoning a social life), though I don't know how useful it would be as a reference. Here's one I whipped up for contracts. What do you think? https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9V2J ... authuser=0

TitoSantana
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:51 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby TitoSantana » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:01 pm

@MaleHuman. Great one-page essay approach sheet. Keep them coming. Thanks

underthirty
Posts: 135
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:27 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby underthirty » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:50 pm

.
Last edited by underthirty on Sat May 30, 2015 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

underthirty
Posts: 135
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:27 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby underthirty » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:55 pm

.
Last edited by underthirty on Sat May 30, 2015 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kdesq
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:50 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby kdesq » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:11 pm

a male human wrote:
s1m4 wrote:
a male human wrote:
s1m4 wrote:re-taker checking in - Failed by 10 points due to over-stress and low scores on the essays. Have a free re-take with barbri.

I've been studying on and off since I found out I failed (doing about 20-25 MBEs a day, although without reviewing any). I started rereading all the conviser materials a few weeks ago and am just about to finish getting through the MBE topics. Doing 20mbes a day and writing out one full essay each day.

Completely ignoring all the barbri lectures because it seems like a waste of time the second time around. Trying to be as efficient as I can to prevent getting burned out like last time.

Once you feel comfortable with the application portion of IRAC, I would say just grind out outlines instead of entire essays. Take 15-30 minutes listing the issues, sub-issues, exceptions, etc. as well as the associated rules. I like to do this by hand because it's what I'll be doing on test day. This will let you see more of the commonly tested issues.

Personally I think identifying issues and stating the rule correctly are more important. Once it clicks in your brain how to apply the rules to the hypo, there's not really a need to waste time doing it over and over and wasting mental energy. At that point, I would do 1 full essay out of 4 essays you practice.

Do compare your answers with model/sample answers. Same with MBEs because that's how you find out what you're weak at.



Thanks - I think in general this is great advice, and in fact, I solely did that prior to the July bar. On test day, I was so nervous and over-studied, that the second that I saw the first exam question, I literally just threw up rules all over the page about contracts. I ended up misreading part of the question because I was going so fast and ended up failing that essay. Result : 55

An essay or two later I came across a complicated community property / trusts question. I knew all the rules cold, but I was just extremely confused as to how to organize the answer, and must have spent a nerve-wrecking ten minutes just re-reading and thinking. There was some issue where I was certain that it could come out either way, and it created a fork in the analysis. I didn't know which path to go down because I was confused and that led to a serious lack of structure in that essay. Result: 55

I want to get that out of my system now, and make sure that I can manipulate the answer and fact pattern in my head and feel 100% comfortable about the structure.

In a week or two I will get back to just outlining.

Anyway, time to get back to crim pro :)

Yeah definitely! Do full essays until you get the hang of how the answer should be structured for each particular subject.

Speaking of which, I've been thinking of making one-pager essay approach sheets (because I am on the verge of abandoning a social life), though I don't know how useful it would be as a reference. Here's one I whipped up for contracts. What do you think? https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9V2J ... authuser=0


Love it!!! This is awesome! I was thinking about something like this but did not have time for making them myself yet!

s1m4
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:04 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby s1m4 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:10 am

a male human wrote:
s1m4 wrote:
a male human wrote:
s1m4 wrote:re-taker checking in - Failed by 10 points due to over-stress and low scores on the essays. Have a free re-take with barbri.

I've been studying on and off since I found out I failed (doing about 20-25 MBEs a day, although without reviewing any). I started rereading all the conviser materials a few weeks ago and am just about to finish getting through the MBE topics. Doing 20mbes a day and writing out one full essay each day.

Completely ignoring all the barbri lectures because it seems like a waste of time the second time around. Trying to be as efficient as I can to prevent getting burned out like last time.

Once you feel comfortable with the application portion of IRAC, I would say just grind out outlines instead of entire essays. Take 15-30 minutes listing the issues, sub-issues, exceptions, etc. as well as the associated rules. I like to do this by hand because it's what I'll be doing on test day. This will let you see more of the commonly tested issues.

Personally I think identifying issues and stating the rule correctly are more important. Once it clicks in your brain how to apply the rules to the hypo, there's not really a need to waste time doing it over and over and wasting mental energy. At that point, I would do 1 full essay out of 4 essays you practice.

Do compare your answers with model/sample answers. Same with MBEs because that's how you find out what you're weak at.



Thanks - I think in general this is great advice, and in fact, I solely did that prior to the July bar. On test day, I was so nervous and over-studied, that the second that I saw the first exam question, I literally just threw up rules all over the page about contracts. I ended up misreading part of the question because I was going so fast and ended up failing that essay. Result : 55

An essay or two later I came across a complicated community property / trusts question. I knew all the rules cold, but I was just extremely confused as to how to organize the answer, and must have spent a nerve-wrecking ten minutes just re-reading and thinking. There was some issue where I was certain that it could come out either way, and it created a fork in the analysis. I didn't know which path to go down because I was confused and that led to a serious lack of structure in that essay. Result: 55

I want to get that out of my system now, and make sure that I can manipulate the answer and fact pattern in my head and feel 100% comfortable about the structure.

In a week or two I will get back to just outlining.

Anyway, time to get back to crim pro :)

Yeah definitely! Do full essays until you get the hang of how the answer should be structured for each particular subject.

Speaking of which, I've been thinking of making one-pager essay approach sheets (because I am on the verge of abandoning a social life), though I don't know how useful it would be as a reference. Here's one I whipped up for contracts. What do you think? https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9V2J ... authuser=0


Looks good man, wish I had this last time - I prefer this over leansheets.

bhence
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:30 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby bhence » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:00 am

Anyone in the Brentwood/Santa Monica area want to study together/keep each other accountable?

Full disclosure, took in July and here were my scores:

Q1: 50
Q2: 65
Q3: 55
Q4: 65
Q5: 65
Q6: 60
PTA: 55
PTB: 50
Scaled written: 1303.1460
Scaled MBE: 1518
Total scaled: 1378.3449

Took Barbri - irritated with their self grading rubrics, don't think they grade enough practice exams for how much we pay. Thought I crushed Q2 (Evidence), Q4 (Crim Pro), & Q5 (Trusts/Wills) and got 65's on each - I need to work on formatting. I believe I hit all issues with solid analysis but (1) I did not have proper issue statements and (2) did not format correctly (e.g., no bolded or underlined issue statement, analyzed two+ issues under one heading, rambled on, gave counter arguments, etc.) and therefore didn't make it simple enough for the graders.

85 on the lone Barbri graded PT and thought all PT's during prep were relatively simple - wasn't worried about this part of the test. On game day, found both PT's confusing and ran out of time.

It's clear what I need to work on - style/format on essays and practicing PT's.

Have been browsing TLS since I got my results. There are some solid contributors on here - thank you to all. Great summary by MURPH a page or two back. Thanks also to a male human and 2807 for your regular contributions.

If interested in studying together, PM me. Any suggestions on how best to study, let me know. Thanks.

User avatar
bb8900
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 11:33 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby bb8900 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:05 am

For the July bar, we had to download Examsoft and we had to do it by a certain date. Do we have to download it again this time and does anyone know where and when?

Thanks!

s1m4
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:04 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby s1m4 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:13 am

bhence wrote:Anyone in the Brentwood/Santa Monica area want to study together/keep each other accountable?

Full disclosure, took in July and here were my scores:

Q1: 50
Q2: 65
Q3: 55
Q4: 65
Q5: 65
Q6: 60
PTA: 55
PTB: 50
Scaled written: 1303.1460
Scaled MBE: 1518
Total scaled: 1378.3449

Took Barbri - irritated with their self grading rubrics, don't think they grade enough practice exams for how much we pay. Thought I crushed Q2 (Evidence), Q4 (Crim Pro), & Q5 (Trusts/Wills) and got 65's on each - I need to work on formatting. I believe I hit all issues with solid analysis but (1) I did not have proper issue statements and (2) did not format correctly (e.g., no bolded or underlined issue statement, analyzed two+ issues under one heading, rambled on, gave counter arguments, etc.) and therefore didn't make it simple enough for the graders.

85 on the lone Barbri graded PT and thought all PT's during prep were relatively simple - wasn't worried about this part of the test. On game day, found both PT's confusing and ran out of time.

It's clear what I need to work on - style/format on essays and practicing PT's.

Have been browsing TLS since I got my results. There are some solid contributors on here - thank you to all. Great summary by MURPH a page or two back. Thanks also to a male human and 2807 for your regular contributions.

If interested in studying together, PM me. Any suggestions on how best to study, let me know. Thanks.


I am curious about this - you said you did not have solid issue statements. However, on baressays.com a lot of the higher scoring essays just have the issue.

like

"Torts

Rule about torts is blah...

Here, blah blah blah

Thus, blah"

Is that not sufficient?

bhence
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:30 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby bhence » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:02 am

s1m4 wrote:
bhence wrote:Anyone in the Brentwood/Santa Monica area want to study together/keep each other accountable?

Full disclosure, took in July and here were my scores:

Q1: 50
Q2: 65
Q3: 55
Q4: 65
Q5: 65
Q6: 60
PTA: 55
PTB: 50
Scaled written: 1303.1460
Scaled MBE: 1518
Total scaled: 1378.3449

Took Barbri - irritated with their self grading rubrics, don't think they grade enough practice exams for how much we pay. Thought I crushed Q2 (Evidence), Q4 (Crim Pro), & Q5 (Trusts/Wills) and got 65's on each - I need to work on formatting. I believe I hit all issues with solid analysis but (1) I did not have proper issue statements and (2) did not format correctly (e.g., no bolded or underlined issue statement, analyzed two+ issues under one heading, rambled on, gave counter arguments, etc.) and therefore didn't make it simple enough for the graders.

85 on the lone Barbri graded PT and thought all PT's during prep were relatively simple - wasn't worried about this part of the test. On game day, found both PT's confusing and ran out of time.

It's clear what I need to work on - style/format on essays and practicing PT's.

Have been browsing TLS since I got my results. There are some solid contributors on here - thank you to all. Great summary by MURPH a page or two back. Thanks also to a male human and 2807 for your regular contributions.

If interested in studying together, PM me. Any suggestions on how best to study, let me know. Thanks.


I am curious about this - you said you did not have solid issue statements. However, on baressays.com a lot of the higher scoring essays just have the issue.

like

"Torts

Rule about torts is blah...

Here, blah blah blah

Thus, blah"

Is that not sufficient?


Certainly could be sufficient. Seems like it is but I bet others would disagree. I've never used baressays.com so I can't speak to the higher scoring essays or their content. I just know my essays were not easy to read. It is more than just the issue statements that I screwed up on.

But reading some of the posts in this forum, it seems like if you have a solid issue statement, it guides the rest of the RAC in that issue's discussion. So I feel like I need to focus on the issue statements.

My problem was that I had the major topics bolded and underlined and then analyzed more than one issue underneath - either without even stating there was a new issue or without underlining or making it otherwise obvious that I was going on to the next issue.

I take it that you feel baressays.com is worth the money? I'm on the fence right now.

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby a male human » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:19 am

bhence wrote:
s1m4 wrote:
bhence wrote:Anyone in the Brentwood/Santa Monica area want to study together/keep each other accountable?

Full disclosure, took in July and here were my scores:

Q1: 50
Q2: 65
Q3: 55
Q4: 65
Q5: 65
Q6: 60
PTA: 55
PTB: 50
Scaled written: 1303.1460
Scaled MBE: 1518
Total scaled: 1378.3449

Took Barbri - irritated with their self grading rubrics, don't think they grade enough practice exams for how much we pay. Thought I crushed Q2 (Evidence), Q4 (Crim Pro), & Q5 (Trusts/Wills) and got 65's on each - I need to work on formatting. I believe I hit all issues with solid analysis but (1) I did not have proper issue statements and (2) did not format correctly (e.g., no bolded or underlined issue statement, analyzed two+ issues under one heading, rambled on, gave counter arguments, etc.) and therefore didn't make it simple enough for the graders.

85 on the lone Barbri graded PT and thought all PT's during prep were relatively simple - wasn't worried about this part of the test. On game day, found both PT's confusing and ran out of time.

It's clear what I need to work on - style/format on essays and practicing PT's.

Have been browsing TLS since I got my results. There are some solid contributors on here - thank you to all. Great summary by MURPH a page or two back. Thanks also to a male human and 2807 for your regular contributions.

If interested in studying together, PM me. Any suggestions on how best to study, let me know. Thanks.


I am curious about this - you said you did not have solid issue statements. However, on baressays.com a lot of the higher scoring essays just have the issue.

like

"Torts

Rule about torts is blah...

Here, blah blah blah

Thus, blah"

Is that not sufficient?


Certainly could be sufficient. Seems like it is but I bet others would disagree. I've never used baressays.com so I can't speak to the higher scoring essays or their content. I just know my essays were not easy to read. It is more than just the issue statements that I screwed up on.

But reading some of the posts in this forum, it seems like if you have a solid issue statement, it guides the rest of the RAC in that issue's discussion. So I feel like I need to focus on the issue statements.

My problem was that I had the major topics bolded and underlined and then analyzed more than one issue underneath - either without even stating there was a new issue or without underlining or making it otherwise obvious that I was going on to the next issue.

I take it that you feel baressays.com is worth the money? I'm on the fence right now.

It probably would have helped to separate out each of the issues, sub-issues, etc. as headings. Make it easy for the grader to see what's going on (they probably skim it anyway as they sit at the red light or on the toilet!). I think a simple word or phrase of the issue is sufficient, and it's OK to have multiple levels, e.g....

D's crimes
Larceny
Rule on larceny here... taking and carrying away...

Taking

Carrying away

Btw I just pulled out the ol' bar materials and essays I did last year (which I brought with me when I moved). Going to try to see if I can come up with some good approach sheets :)

AguasAguas!
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:22 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby AguasAguas! » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:48 am

mhub172 wrote:Need some advice as a first-time repeater. I took Barbri for the July '14 exam and am using the Barbri free re-take for the February '15 exam, supplementing with baressays.com, BarMax MBE, and Emanuel Strategies & Tactics.

What are people's thoughts on listening to the lectures for the second time around? The lecture handouts are exactly the same for this exam prep as they were in the summer. Necessary or waste of time?




I think this is totally personal preference but, when I spoke to the BarBri tutor/lawyer after I didn't pass he recommended NOT listening to lectures again unless it was one of my super weak areas. He recommended using those 3 hours to instead to practice essays/MBEs on the subject.

mhub172
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:40 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby mhub172 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:54 am

bb8900 wrote:For the July bar, we had to download Examsoft and we had to do it by a certain date. Do we have to download it again this time and does anyone know where and when?

Thanks!



Have to download by February 20 at the latest. You can't download and do the Examsoft stuff until you are able to print your ticket. I still am not able to print mine. Could be because I'm a repeater and didn't register to re-take the exam until the deadline as an immediate repeater. But I remember that in July it was maybe 4-5 weeks out that I finally was able to print mine, and that was as a first timer.

User avatar
2807
Posts: 579
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby 2807 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:30 pm

bhence wrote:
s1m4 wrote:
bhence wrote:
Certainly could be sufficient. Seems like it is but I bet others would disagree. I've never used baressays.com so I can't speak to the higher scoring essays or their content. I just know my essays were not easy to read. It is more than just the issue statements that I screwed up on.

But reading some of the posts in this forum, it seems like if you have a solid issue statement, it guides the rest of the RAC in that issue's discussion. So I feel like I need to focus on the issue statements.

My problem was that I had the major topics bolded and underlined and then analyzed more than one issue underneath - either without even stating there was a new issue or without underlining or making it otherwise obvious that I was going on to the next issue.

I take it that you feel baressays.com is worth the money? I'm on the fence right now.



Oh, you are on the right track now...

It takes discipline and a tactical approach to control your brilliance and just stand and deliver the FUNDAMENTALS.

It is not easy to make it look simple.
But, the truth takes very few words, so keep that in mind...

Glad you found that older thread helpful. There are many ways to win, this is just one of them. It worked for me, but was a hard-learned lesson that I now try to simplify for others.

The key is to separate in your mind the "Topic" from the "PRECISE LEGAL ISSUE" That is why I say to write the "Topic" down so you get it out of your head and can move on to legal ISSUES--that are analyzed with a specific RULE compared to the relevant FACTS and then draw a CONCLUSION consistent with that analysis.

And, FORMAT: You MUST SHOW the grader you know what you are doing.
BOLD, Underline, (1) Numbers... etc.. In a CONSISTENT VISUAL PATTERN. The grader will see that, skim, and reward you.

It is ok if your "essay" resembles an outline.

Succinct. Clear. Quick.

Repeat.

I NEVER read or mimicked the published essays. FEAR THOSE.
*** This test is a mile wide, and an inch deep.
--> Just IRAC the fundamentals and enjoy your victory this summer.

Onward !

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby a male human » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:00 pm

Regarding the published model essays on calbar, they were useful for one thing: the rules and concepts. If you're stuck on a concept (say, what a 12(b)(6) motion is), chances are the model answers will explain it to you, and you can adapt their rule statements.

s1m4
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:04 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby s1m4 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:09 pm

bhence wrote:
s1m4 wrote:
bhence wrote:Anyone in the Brentwood/Santa Monica area want to study together/keep each other accountable?

Full disclosure, took in July and here were my scores:

Q1: 50
Q2: 65
Q3: 55
Q4: 65
Q5: 65
Q6: 60
PTA: 55
PTB: 50
Scaled written: 1303.1460
Scaled MBE: 1518
Total scaled: 1378.3449

Took Barbri - irritated with their self grading rubrics, don't think they grade enough practice exams for how much we pay. Thought I crushed Q2 (Evidence), Q4 (Crim Pro), & Q5 (Trusts/Wills) and got 65's on each - I need to work on formatting. I believe I hit all issues with solid analysis but (1) I did not have proper issue statements and (2) did not format correctly (e.g., no bolded or underlined issue statement, analyzed two+ issues under one heading, rambled on, gave counter arguments, etc.) and therefore didn't make it simple enough for the graders.

85 on the lone Barbri graded PT and thought all PT's during prep were relatively simple - wasn't worried about this part of the test. On game day, found both PT's confusing and ran out of time.

It's clear what I need to work on - style/format on essays and practicing PT's.

Have been browsing TLS since I got my results. There are some solid contributors on here - thank you to all. Great summary by MURPH a page or two back. Thanks also to a male human and 2807 for your regular contributions.

If interested in studying together, PM me. Any suggestions on how best to study, let me know. Thanks.


I am curious about this - you said you did not have solid issue statements. However, on baressays.com a lot of the higher scoring essays just have the issue.

like

"Torts

Rule about torts is blah...

Here, blah blah blah

Thus, blah"

Is that not sufficient?


Certainly could be sufficient. Seems like it is but I bet others would disagree. I've never used baressays.com so I can't speak to the higher scoring essays or their content. I just know my essays were not easy to read. It is more than just the issue statements that I screwed up on.

But reading some of the posts in this forum, it seems like if you have a solid issue statement, it guides the rest of the RAC in that issue's discussion. So I feel like I need to focus on the issue statements.

My problem was that I had the major topics bolded and underlined and then analyzed more than one issue underneath - either without even stating there was a new issue or without underlining or making it otherwise obvious that I was going on to the next issue.

I take it that you feel baressays.com is worth the money? I'm on the fence right now.


Baressays is helpful in that it gives you access to all the essays that have been tested in the past ten-fifteen years, as well as answers, and the premium version also then gives you model answers to all those questions.

It was helpful, but I found the interface was kind of annoying.

What I'm using this time around is the Bar Code Sheat Sheets -- Im finding this very helpful for setting up essays - it has essay templates for most of the major topics for all the subjects (including Cali) - If I had this last time I probably would have looked at 10b5 more carefully :(

User avatar
bb8900
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 11:33 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby bb8900 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:48 pm

mhub172 wrote:
bb8900 wrote:For the July bar, we had to download Examsoft and we had to do it by a certain date. Do we have to download it again this time and does anyone know where and when?

Thanks!



Have to download by February 20 at the latest. You can't download and do the Examsoft stuff until you are able to print your ticket. I still am not able to print mine. Could be because I'm a repeater and didn't register to re-take the exam until the deadline as an immediate repeater. But I remember that in July it was maybe 4-5 weeks out that I finally was able to print mine, and that was as a first timer.



Thanks!

User avatar
bb8900
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 11:33 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby bb8900 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:49 pm

For those of you using Themis, would you say their MBE questions are easier or harder than other MBE material?

I was told that they license their questions from the bar, thus Themis' questions should technically be identical to AdaptiBar. Anyone know?

Thanks!

ginger root
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:20 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby ginger root » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:13 am

bb8900 wrote:For those of you using Themis, would you say their MBE questions are easier or harder than other MBE material?

I was told that they license their questions from the bar, thus Themis' questions should technically be identical to AdaptiBar. Anyone know?

Thanks!


I can only compare to BarBri, but in my opinion, the Themis questions are much more similar to the real MBE questions (I think the majority are licensed). I felt really prepared for the MBE this past summer and did well on it. I took the bar two years ago in a different state and used BarBri then. I felt that BarBri's questions were unnecessarily confusing and frustrating. I did not see much progress over time. I stopped using them altogether leading up to the exam and bought the 3-test package from the NCBE website, focusing on those instead. I think that's the only reason I passed the MBE then (albeit with a pretty low score). This past summer, my MBE improved almost 20 scaled points. Sure, I may have done better since it was my second time taking it, but I do believe that the Themis questions were a large factor. I know that many thought the July MBE was harder than other administrations, but it was pretty much what I expected and I felt okay walking out. If only I could say the same for the essays, I wouldn't be visiting the Feb 2015 thread....

User avatar
TheLegalOne
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:42 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby TheLegalOne » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:17 am

Are people studying or still preparing to study? It's been pretty quiet on the forums.[/quote]

I started studying in early December, then had a setback for a week (procrastination). I refocused and have been going strong with Themis since 12/22. I'm trying not to look at the calendar and panic. I've been checking the CA 2014 thread for tips and also noticed the 2015 has been pretty quiet.[/quote]
What's a typical day for Themis like? You don't have to look at your calendar if it's going to make you anxious.[/quote]

I have modified Themis a little by adding additional MBEs in the morning before I begin Themis and an extra essay on topics I know I am weak in. But, generally, my Themis day looks like:

(1) Read Themis' long a$$ subject outline; (2) view lecture (complete handout) w/assessments after each chapter; (3) review completed subject handout; (4) view MBE workshop; (5) complete & review MBEs assigned; (6) view applicable essay workshop; (7) complete & review practice essay (some days there aren't any assigned, but I add one). On a daily basis, I work on a condensed subject outline, review Critical Pass Cards, and write down/practice missed rules, etc. from MBEs practice.

Some days it just feels like a daily checklist. Other days I feel I'm building knowledge and retention.

User avatar
TheLegalOne
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:42 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby TheLegalOne » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:24 am

bb8900 wrote:For those of you using Themis, would you say their MBE questions are easier or harder than other MBE material?

I was told that they license their questions from the bar, thus Themis' questions should technically be identical to AdaptiBar. Anyone know?

Thanks!


I'll preface my answer with "I'm not 100% sure". However, I'm currently using Themis and I requested a hardcopy of the MBEs for Property because I had difficulty doing those from the screen. A Themis rep responded that the MBEs were copyrighted/licensed (I'm assuming by NCBEX); therefore, they could not give me a hard copy. Additionally, I am using multiple practice MBE sources and have actually seen about 4-5 of the exact same questions in Themis and 2 other sources.

ginger root
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:20 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby ginger root » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:35 am

TheLegalOne wrote:I'll preface my answer with "I'm not 100% sure". However, I'm currently using Themis and I requested a hardcopy of the MBEs for Property because I had difficulty doing those from the screen. A Themis rep responded that the MBEs were copyrighted/licensed (I'm assuming by NCBEX); therefore, they could not give me a hard copy. Additionally, I am using multiple practice MBE sources and have actually seen about 4-5 of the exact same questions in Themis and 2 other sources.


Which other MBE sources are you using? My one gripe about Themis is that I think there is value in doing some practice on paper like the real exam, and I don't always feel like doing 34 or 50 questions at a time. I'm thinking of getting an MBE question book to supplement. I know everyone recommends Emmanuel's, but I am just looking for all questions, no "tactics." Thanks.

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby a male human » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:41 am

ginger root wrote:
TheLegalOne wrote:I'll preface my answer with "I'm not 100% sure". However, I'm currently using Themis and I requested a hardcopy of the MBEs for Property because I had difficulty doing those from the screen. A Themis rep responded that the MBEs were copyrighted/licensed (I'm assuming by NCBEX); therefore, they could not give me a hard copy. Additionally, I am using multiple practice MBE sources and have actually seen about 4-5 of the exact same questions in Themis and 2 other sources.


Which other MBE sources are you using? My one gripe about Themis is that I think there is value in doing some practice on paper like the real exam, and I don't always feel like doing 34 or 50 questions at a time. I'm thinking of getting an MBE question book to supplement. I know everyone recommends Emmanuel's, but I am just looking for all questions, no "tactics." Thanks.

You can just skip over the tactics and just work on the questions (and answers!).

Kaplan's "red book" has a bunch of fake questions, with at least 100-125 questions per most subject.

I heard BarMax's MBE module or mobile app has like 1000? 2000? real questions, but it is no pencil-and-paper deal.

I also heard good things about Adaptibar, so electronic I believe.

underthirty
Posts: 135
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:27 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby underthirty » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:47 am

.
Last edited by underthirty on Sat May 30, 2015 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby a male human » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:06 am

underthirty wrote:
a male human wrote:Kaplan's "red book" has a bunch of fake questions, with at least 100-125 questions per most subject.

The red book is purple now. Mine has 175 questions each for Con Law, Contracts, Crim Law, Evidence, Property, and Torts, and 100 questions for Crim Pro. The book doesn't include Civ Pro - Kaplan published a separate supplement for that bit of misery.

Good lore, added to my grimoire




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests