2015 February California Bar Exam

L’Étranger

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby L’Étranger » Wed May 06, 2015 12:05 pm

a male human wrote:
L’Étranger wrote:Does anyone know how to post an excel graph on here?

Take a screenshot and upload the picture (better), or link to the Excel file itself

How do you post a picture without a link?

PennJD83

Postby PennJD83 » Wed May 06, 2015 12:31 pm

The countdown is officially up :(

http://apps.calbar.ca.gov/exam/

morescotchplease

Postby morescotchplease » Wed May 06, 2015 12:54 pm

"Although every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of this list, all who took the examination must rely on the official written notification from the Office of Admissions of the State Bar of California. Results are scheduled for mailing on Friday, May 15, 2015."

Can you imagine being informed you passed as an error only to find out by mail that you actually didn't? I don't know what I would do.

a male human

Postby a male human » Wed May 06, 2015 12:55 pm

L’Étranger wrote:
a male human wrote:
L’Étranger wrote:Does anyone know how to post an excel graph on here?

Take a screenshot and upload the picture (better), or link to the Excel file itself

How do you post a picture without a link?

Use the "Img" tags around the image link (the tags are above the text box)

a male human

Postby a male human » Wed May 06, 2015 1:03 pm

morescotchplease wrote:"Although every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of this list, all who took the examination must rely on the official written notification from the Office of Admissions of the State Bar of California. Results are scheduled for mailing on Friday, May 15, 2015."

Can you imagine being informed you passed as an error only to find out by mail that you actually didn't? I don't know what I would do.

The ultimate crank.

Didn't it happen last administration or the one before that in another state? Not aware of an incident like that in CA.

46-and-2

Postby 46-and-2 » Wed May 06, 2015 1:11 pm

a male human wrote:
morescotchplease wrote:"Although every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of this list, all who took the examination must rely on the official written notification from the Office of Admissions of the State Bar of California. Results are scheduled for mailing on Friday, May 15, 2015."

The ultimate crank.

Didn't it happen last administration or the one before that in another state? Not aware of an incident like that in CA.

Nebraska I believe

reasonable troll

Postby reasonable troll » Sun May 10, 2015 8:20 pm

our time draws near, comrades.

L’Étranger

Postby L’Étranger » Mon May 11, 2015 11:44 am

reasonable troll wrote:our time draws near, comrades.

Gonna be hard to stay focused at work this week.

morescotchplease

Postby morescotchplease » Mon May 11, 2015 12:50 pm

oh boy oh boy oh boy

WonderWoman

Postby WonderWoman » Mon May 11, 2015 2:36 pm

I'm experiencing severe swings in my mental state, and they're coming closer and closer together. One minute I think there might be a slim chance that I got lucky and passed it. The next I'm sure I'm going to be humiliated a second time. It's almost over. I've calculated my made-up scores several times, reread the exam questions at least a dozen times. I hate this. And yet, I'll likely do it all over again if necessary....next February.

Hang in there folks.

lawbosscalif

Postby lawbosscalif » Mon May 11, 2015 5:18 pm

If it makes anyone feel any better...

When I took the bar July 2014 (1st time), I was convinced that I had failed, for numerous reasons. Yet, I passed. So while you sit and wait this week... try to stay positive or at least neutral. 8)

L’Étranger

Postby L’Étranger » Mon May 11, 2015 5:24 pm

lawbosscalif wrote:If it makes anyone feel any better...

When I took the bar July 2014 (1st time), I was convinced that I had failed, for numerous reasons. Yet, I passed. So while you sit and wait this week... try to stay positive or at least neutral. 8)

That actually does not help at all. Not everyone on this thread failed in July and are retaking but many did. For the retakers, it's a completely different thing.

Postby 071816 » Mon May 11, 2015 5:26 pm

good luck, friends. this is me sending you all positive vibes via these fora.

WonderWoman

Postby WonderWoman » Mon May 11, 2015 5:37 pm

lawbosscalif wrote:If it makes anyone feel any better...

It does make me feel better. Just a little bit. Thanks.

Biotech

Postby Biotech » Mon May 11, 2015 6:29 pm

It's become like a scratch off ticket for a million dollars. I know the odds are against me but until I reveal the nope sorry please try again, hope somehow lives. Or Charlie Brown and that damn football. One day. Maybe this Friday but probably not.

a male human

Postby a male human » Mon May 11, 2015 6:47 pm

If you fail, you simply try again. It's merely an iteration in a work in progress, which is partially determined by luck. You WILL pass eventually (sooner the better of course).

BarZombie

Postby BarZombie » Mon May 11, 2015 7:03 pm

The CA Bar is just one big hazing ritual...it's designed that way...the stress...and this was stated by the head of the CA bar in a documentary about the whole process some years ago.

It sucks whether you are a first timer or a repeater...the stress...and the process...my second bite at the apple so I know.

Regardless of the outcome move forward positively...don't fall into the trap.

I sat with other repeaters this February and you could feel the doom and gloom...truthfully, I felt better taking it the second time...after receiving my essays I knew better what I should have done...and was more relaxed knowing I could take a piss last minute while they were prattling off instructions...

...I don't regret the extra work I had to put in...but I'm more pissed about the whole process...In July I sat with someone from another jurisdiction who didn't pass CA in July...they did however pass another state this February...so CA is deliberately a hazing and I firmly believe most pass by the skin of their teeth...just one reason they don't release passing scores like other jurisdictions.

My point...adopt a game mentality and crash through it.

No...a pep talk doesn't help if you are desperately in need of your license to move forward...but be careful and don't let the psychology they are creating crush you...once the seed is planted it will be harder to focus.

Best of luck this week.

s1m4

Postby s1m4 » Mon May 11, 2015 7:11 pm

Im too stressed to bill at work. My thoughts just always return to the bar exam. The grading process and the whole exam just don't correlate to the high stakes of failing.

L’Étranger

Postby L’Étranger » Mon May 11, 2015 8:12 pm

a male human wrote:If you fail, you simply try again. It's merely an iteration in a work in progress, which is partially determined by luck. You WILL pass eventually (sooner the better of course).

That's fine, but if your job hangs in the balance, and you have beaucoup student loans, and you are entirely dependent on aforementioned job to pay said loans, well..it's not quite so neat and tidy.

s1m4

Postby s1m4 » Mon May 11, 2015 8:17 pm

Yeah, life is short, I'm thinking whether I should just go into sales or what - How do the people who take the exam five or six times before they pass support themselves?

a male human

Postby a male human » Mon May 11, 2015 8:27 pm

L’Étranger wrote:
a male human wrote:If you fail, you simply try again. It's merely an iteration in a work in progress, which is partially determined by luck. You WILL pass eventually (sooner the better of course).

That's fine, but if your job hangs in the balance, and you have beaucoup student loans, and you are entirely dependent on aforementioned job to pay said loans, well..it's not quite so neat and tidy.

For sure. I'm not telling anyone to take it easy. Put in the work (especially if your job or loans depends on it).

But sometimes bad things happen. What are you going to do then? You can either reframe it as a mere iteration (which I believe it is) and try again, or you could just sit and drown in a puddle of your own tears not knowing what to do. Which is more productive?

Alternatively, you could take a break or give up entirely. My original message was meant for those who are in it because they want to pass.

a male human

Postby a male human » Mon May 11, 2015 8:29 pm

s1m4 wrote:Yeah, life is short, I'm thinking whether I should just go into sales or what - How do the people who take the exam five or six times before they pass support themselves?

Live at home, get subsidized by parents/relatives, be a waiter (lucrative!), etc.

morescotchplease

Postby morescotchplease » Mon May 11, 2015 8:34 pm

How many days can I allot for having a pity party after the results? At least the entire weekend?

a male human

Postby a male human » Mon May 11, 2015 8:40 pm

morescotchplease wrote:How many days can I allot for having a pity party after the results? At least the entire weekend?

As long as you need!

Personally I shed a couple tears lying down on my bed (it was comfortable), then that was it. I emailed a prof from school as well as the regional director for my bar prep to schedule phone calls for advice.

Remember that help and resources are everywhere around you if you look, maybe even right under your nose (like TLS)! I can think of at least 10 different sources you can consult should you not pass.

L’Étranger

Postby L’Étranger » Mon May 11, 2015 8:55 pm

a male human wrote:
L’Étranger wrote:

For sure. I'm not telling anyone to take it easy. Put in the work (especially if your job or loans depends on it).

But sometimes bad things happen. What are you going to do then? You can either reframe it as a mere iteration (which I believe it is) and try again, or you could just sit and drown in a puddle of your own tears not knowing what to do. Which is more productive?

Alternatively, you could take a break or give up entirely. My original message was meant for those who are in it because they want to pass.

Dude of course I want to pass.

Where are you even coming from? I think I remember from some of your older posts that you were a repeater as well. Were you someone who kept their BL job after a retake? I don't remember your story.

In general, I'm all for keeping it positive, but there's a reality underlying everything. Yes, you can pick yourself up after failing a frustrating (and pointless?) exam but there's more going on than just that, because of the student loans.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”