2015 February California Bar Exam

s1m4

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Postby s1m4 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:48 am

What are people's backup plans in case you fail?

Im pretty much out of a job. Will be waiting tables, I guess. Formulating a back-up plan as we speak.

a male human

Postby a male human » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:31 am

s1m4 wrote:What are people's backup plans in case you fail?

Im pretty much out of a job. Will be waiting tables, I guess. Formulating a back-up plan as we speak.

Don't laugh, but I am afraid of losing my job all the time.

I'll do all sorts of ridiculous shit just to get an interview. I can share the one WEIRD trick (career offices HATE him!), but when you think about it jobs are pretty fragile. You barely get any benefits in a law firm: Health insurance... (got mine 3 months in) 401k maybe... (mine kicks in after 1 year of employment) No shares until you become locked into being a partner... (one reason I want to go in house)

Of course, it depends how fancy your firm is. My friend works at most 45 hours a week (where her recorded time does not get written off), gets free lunch every day, free accommodations, bills paid for, rents an apt for $700 or less in SF, and complains about her $100k as a first year. Everyone's got something to complain about.

So it's funny you ask this question because I literally have an ongoing list of things I would do if I were fired tomorrow. Well I won't be fired tomorrow because I just had my six-month review and it wasn't TOO bad. But you never know when you're a wage slave.

Waiting tables sounds like a cash machine, though.
Last edited by a male human on Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SpAcEmAn SpLiFF

Postby SpAcEmAn SpLiFF » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:11 pm

s1m4 wrote:What are people's backup plans in case you fail?

I think my firm would give me another chance, so I'd be full-on miserable from may-july. If I failed again though, I might leave the law.

esq

Postby esq » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:51 am

SpAcEmAn SpLiFF wrote:I might leave the law.

WonderWoman

Postby WonderWoman » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:21 am

I saw that someone thought there wasn't an evidence question on the civ pro essay. Actually, there was. The mental exam wasn't likely to lead to relevant evidence. Whenever relevancy is an issue, it's an evidence issue. I failed the civ pro essay because I blew right by the Eerie discussion. Instead, I talked about discovery subpoenas and protective orders. Sigh. I think I may have done okay on all the other ones. Especially the K, Remedies, and Partnership essays.

On PT B, I missed a huge discussable issue. Mainly that the State would attempt to get the Father's statement in as a dying declaration, however, because the father didn't think he was dying, it wasn't made under conditions suggesting knowledge of impending death. Damn. I can't believe I missed that. On the plus side, if the Dr. would have had to do a complete examination to determine if the woman's non-verbal actions meant something, how on earth would a cop who just responded to the scene be able to made that determination? At least I got that point right. I managed to finish both of the PTs this time, though. The first one was fairly simple. Interplead or get sued for conversion.

I bombed the MBE, thanks to the civ pro questions. I just wasn't prepared as well as I should have been. I blame my bar review course. I blew the questions about the interlocutory appeals, privilege (couldn't recall the difference between federal and Ca), and default judgment. If I got even half of them right, I'll be shocked.

Over all, I'm disappointed with my performance. Third time's the charm.

:?

injun

Postby injun » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:19 pm

I saw a similar question in the past which lead me to believe that it was completely a Civ Pro question, specifically related to Discovery. The question regarding "relevancy" has more to do with the scope of discovery and whether the physical examination could be reasonable calculated to lead to discoverable information for use at trial. It thought it would because it could be relevant to determine whether the injuries were pre-existing (can't remember exactly what I wrote). It sounds like you did better than you thought!

morescotchplease

Postby morescotchplease » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:53 pm

WonderWoman wrote:I saw that someone thought there wasn't an evidence question on the civ pro essay. Actually, there was. The mental exam wasn't likely to lead to relevant evidence. Whenever relevancy is an issue, it's an evidence issue. I failed the civ pro essay because I blew right by the Eerie discussion. Instead, I talked about discovery subpoenas and protective orders. Sigh. I think I may have done okay on all the other ones. Especially the K, Remedies, and Partnership essays.

On PT B, I missed a huge discussable issue. Mainly that the State would attempt to get the Father's statement in as a dying declaration, however, because the father didn't think he was dying, it wasn't made under conditions suggesting knowledge of impending death. Damn. I can't believe I missed that. On the plus side, if the Dr. would have had to do a complete examination to determine if the woman's non-verbal actions meant something, how on earth would a cop who just responded to the scene be able to made that determination? At least I got that point right. I managed to finish both of the PTs this time, though. The first one was fairly simple. Interplead or get sued for conversion.

I bombed the MBE, thanks to the civ pro questions. I just wasn't prepared as well as I should have been. I blame my bar review course. I blew the questions about the interlocutory appeals, privilege (couldn't recall the difference between federal and Ca), and default judgment. If I got even half of them right, I'll be shocked.

I missed erie too. I remember going through practice essays and I kept missing erie doctrine so I distinctly made a big note to check if erie doctrine applies. But I thinking about it more for con law and I forgot that it applies in civ pro for things like privilege. I mentioned that privilege applies in CA but not FRE but didn't think about erie....

s1m4

Postby s1m4 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:09 pm

WonderWoman wrote:I saw that someone thought there wasn't an evidence question on the civ pro essay. Actually, there was. The mental exam wasn't likely to lead to relevant evidence. Whenever relevancy is an issue, it's an evidence issue. I failed the civ pro essay because I blew right by the Eerie discussion. Instead, I talked about discovery subpoenas and protective orders. Sigh. I think I may have done okay on all the other ones. Especially the K, Remedies, and Partnership essays.

Did any of the cases or the code talk about dying declarations...? Which case?

btw, you can bomb a PT and 2 essays and pass with a strong MBE and strong essays otherwise.

morescotchplease

Postby morescotchplease » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:23 pm

s1m4 wrote:

Did any of the cases or the code talk about dying declarations...? Which case?

btw, you can bomb a PT and 2 essays and pass with a strong MBE and strong essays otherwise.

No, I don't think dying declaration was an issue within the confines of the PT universe. Maybe you'll get bonus points for it.

"Strong" MBEs....yea... I'm sure every year they complain that the MBEs were hard but it's hard to be hopefully that I did well on the MBEs when I feel like I made "educated" guesses on more than half of them.

s1m4

Postby s1m4 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:15 pm

^ Honestly, lets say you made "educated guesses" on half of them - that means you probably knew about %50. So, lets say you are sure you got about 100 correct. Then, you made "educated guesses" on more than the other half - by simple statistics, that means that you still probably got about 1/2 of the ones you guessed at right. Then, lets just, to be safe, assume you got 10 more wrong also. That puts you at about 140/200 - with the curve, that still puts you at a score of 150 MBE !

In July, me and my friend discussed about 50 mbe questions we remembered after the end of the test, and we got a different answer for each one that we discussed. He passed the July bar, I failed. However, when results came back, I found I still got 150 scaled. This is after I felt like I guessed on 75% of the questions. Have faith.

I sware its the PTs and the Essays that f*** you :/ Even if I was a licensed attorney, I would still take the full 3 day Cali exam to get a boost from MBEs.

I generally think for Cali takers, MBE is no problem - we have to study so hard for these essays, that there is no way that we don't know all the ins and outs of these mbe topic - when they are infront of us and we just have to eliminate the wrong answer, its no problem. Still, with all that prep, many of us STILL screw up the essays.

defamationnation

Postby defamationnation » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:09 pm

How do you figure Erie?? It's been a week, but Erie deals with whether to apply State or Federal law......CA law never came up..or so I thought...

s1m4

Postby s1m4 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:18 pm

For anyone interested: PTA is a real case:

140 Cal.App.4th 688
Court of Appeal, Fourth District, Division 3, California.
Jorma A. VIRTANEN, Plaintiff and Appellant,
v.
Christopher P. O'CONNELL et al., Defendants and Appellants.

WonderWoman

Postby WonderWoman » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:08 pm

Eerie was discussable because there is no federal physcian/patient privilege. The scope of discovery could be limited by a state privilege, however.

The dying declaration would have been an anticipation of the prosecutor's argument. Something along the lines of "Even if the court finds the statement is hearsay, it is still admissible as a dying declaration." Except...the father didn't think he was dying.

The attorney next to me complained about how difficult the test was every chance he got. But to be fair, I did my share of complaining as well.

Biotech

Postby Biotech » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:32 pm

I remembered the fed CA distinction but didn't argue Erie. Sucks.

I just circled back to violation of 6th amendment every time. Did not being in dying declaration. Do not think im passing PT B.

Anyone know what was the raw score to pass July MBE? 2014.

injun

Postby injun » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:17 pm

Biotech wrote:I remembered the fed CA distinction but didn't argue Erie. Sucks.

I just circled back to violation of 6th amendment every time. Did not being in dying declaration. Do not think im passing PT B.

Anyone know what was the raw score to pass July MBE? 2014.

I think you needed something like a 615 raw essay score and 130+ on the MBEs. I took both Feb and July exams and thought this exam was the hardest of the bunch. I thought the PTs in this exam were much more complicated. Did anyone else feel the same? I'm hoping the curve will be similar to July 2013

AguasAguas!

Postby AguasAguas! » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:16 am

I didn't discuss Eerie either. Sounds like a lot of us didn't, so I don't think we should be too worried about it. At best it was a minor issue, not one that alone will ding us to a 55.

BobbyBooBoo

Postby BobbyBooBoo » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:43 pm

When are the results out? I forgot the date.

Thanks

esq

Postby esq » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:03 pm

May 15, I think the results will drop at about 6pm.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:39 am

s1m4

Postby s1m4 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:50 pm

^ no no no no no!! I sat through three days of this stupid exam twice, ill be damned if new attorneys can sit two days!

a male human

Postby a male human » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:02 pm

I don't think they would change it to a 2-day test. IIRC weren't they thinking of making it 4 days?

a male human

Postby a male human » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:55 pm

redblueyellow, if you're reading please check your PMs

LawJunky

Postby LawJunky » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:11 am

Hello.

The bar examiners have posted the essay questions (not the answers) from the Feb 2015 exam. Seems like they have been published the questions somewhat early.
Best of luck to all test takers.

http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/Portals/4/documents/gbx/February2015CBX_Questions_R.pdf

Law Junky

PennJD83

Postby PennJD83 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:22 am

I surprisingly remembered most of the facts in the questions....well except PTA and Question 6. I made sure to forget them as soon as the exam was over haha.

s1m4

Postby s1m4 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:13 pm

So from what I read, the curve in February historically makes it much more difficult to pass. Apparently, this is because the number of strong MBE test takers in July push the score up.

However, based on my calculation from the Feb 2014 results @ https://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/Portal ... 201402.pdf, it seems I would have passed in February 2014 with my July 2014 score! (1420 in July would have been 1444 in February!!) So there is hope for us yet!!!

Anyone care to dispute my numbers???

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”