2015 February California Bar Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
a male human

Gold

Re: 2015 February California Bar Exam

Post by a male human » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:36 pm

kdesq wrote:
melvinIII wrote:
a male human wrote:What are people up to at this point of the process? Reviewing MBE? Doing essays? Studying the material first? Preparing to study and getting amped up??
For December I'm doing 20 MBEs every morning and every evening and writing out all the rule statements I get wrong. I'm spending the rest of my time making exhaustive outlines for each subject. The outlining is taking me quite while, I've spent a few days on contracts and I'm still not done with the outline, which is already 30 pages long. My thought process on the outlining is making my own course outlines is how I learned best in law school, and I didn't make any outlines the first time I took the bar so I'm hoping it helps. I hope to finish outlining all the MBE subjects by the end of December.

I haven't started doing essays yet because I don't want to run out of questions. My plan is to start doing one essay per day in January, in addition to my daily MBEs, and then start doing daily three essay simulated practice tests for the first few weeks of February.
I spent way too much time watching the lectures and working on my outlines last time, and as a result, I did not find enough time to practice and memorize. This time around, I am not reinventing my wheels and will use my old outlines, not gonna watch the lectures, and practice more on MBE's and Essays.

I have been doing daily MBE's and writing essays daily. I did well on my PT for last time, so that is my least concern. y biggest concern is MBE.
Love it. You've zeroed in on your weak spots and seem like you're taking steps to cure that deficiency.

There's really no need to allocate equal time to everything and follow the one-size-fits-all schedule given by the prep company. That's for the average run-if-the-mill student, and things don't look too great for the average Joe (of course, I know everyone here is extraordinary...just need to be several steps above the average so that when you get knocked down a few pegs you're still in the game) when the pass rate is sub-50%.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:36 pm

s1m4 wrote:
cndounda1985 wrote:
a male human wrote:
cndounda1985 wrote:I've been doing MBEs, and i've been outlining and doing practice exams. I'm working with a tutor so he's kinda forcing me to practice everything. I've also written two CA PTs. Did you write a lot the second time you studied? or did you focus more on MBEs..? I got a 65 and 55 on my PTs and I've been told that i can def improve on those. I hope that my writing improves by exam time...i'm kinda getting frustrated.
I did practice a lot...but I didn't necessarily write out everything.

I call it essay cooking, but simply, most of my essay practice was outlining issues and writing rules, spending about 15-20 minutes. Then checking against model or actual answers (from BarEssays for example).

This doubled or tripled my practice rate. People say you need to grind out essays, but do musicians play an entire piece to practice particularly problematic sections? Once you know how apply rules to the facts, that's the easy part. Identifying relevant issues and reciting the rules concisely and correctly are the hardest parts, which is why I spent most of my time doing that. It's good to do maybe 25% of your practice essays writing it out in full, though, just to confirm that you can still do it in 1 hour.

Writing out full PTs is recommended, however, because PTs test your application and whether you can organize your answer within 3 hours. I would not do TOO many full ones: 20+ is definitely overkill...but if your tutor says you need to practice more PTs, then I would probably defer to your tutor. 2 PTs is already more than what some people will do, so you're that much closer to securing a good score on the PTs (which is very important!). For your reference, I did 7 PTs for Feb.

Of course, you're welcome to mix it up by only outlining a PT if you only want to practice organization, for example.

For MBEs, a disproportionate amount of practice came from real questions. I highly recommend Emanuel's Strategies and Tactics for the MBE Vol. 1 (which I read cover to cover) and Vol. 2 for extra drilling (questions were organized by subtopics for me to pick). http://amzn.to/1tVlw53 (2012) http://amzn.to/1hH1vzq (2009) -- either ver. works for Vol. 1

Thank you! I appreciate your feedback. One of my main issues was issue spotting and writing down actual rules, so I'm going to continue to practice that. I think that will help me when I actually start writing out more essays. I also, actually already have the Emanuel's Strategies and Tactics Vol. 1 and this time around, I've actually have had time to read it and take notes. I'll try and buy Vol. 2 as well. I also have the Kaplan PMBR redbook vol 1, i think is what it's called. Hopefully, this is enough for the MBEs.

Just curious -- what is your plan for the Civ Pro portion of the MBE?
Am I remembering correctly that someone mentioned BarMax or Adaptibar having fake civ pro questions?

If anything, the free official sample civ pro questions is a good a place to start as any:
http://ncbex.org/assets/media_files/MBE ... stions.pdf

If I were studying for the bar right now, I would also pay extra attention to civ pro ESSAYS and be able to identify the issues. The MBE is kinda similar to essays in that you still need to see what the issue is and do a mini IRAC.

Get an outline or list of issues and know what's testable. In fact, lookie here, a list of testable issues (which doesn't have sub-issues but it's a great starting point): http://ncbex.org/assets/media_files/MBE ... utline.pdf

While we're at it, here is a guide to systematizing the practice of identifying and distinguishing issues: http://www.barexamtoolbox.com/how-disti ... -help-you/

dtl

Bronze

Post by dtl » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:35 am

Here are the flashcards I used to pass July 2014. It took me forever to make the damned things, so I hope it helps out some other people.

They are in 6x8 format, so you can throw in index cards and print them out at will. If you have a duplex printer it is even easier.

http://www.shardsofdalaya.com/Wold/BarStudy2014.rar

Also have Themis books, if anyone is looking to buy. Let me know.

Good luck, guys!

mhub172

New

Post by mhub172 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:12 pm

Are the selected essay answers from the July 2014 exam still not up on the CBX website? I received my graded essay answers back but when I went to compare them to the model answers on the CBX website, I couldn't find any.

dueprocess14

Bronze

Post by dueprocess14 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:08 pm

arizzle wrote:Hello,

I'm curious if anyone else is using Themis bar review. I just looked at their Directed Study schedule, and it looks brutal. Besides Christmas and New Years, there are no days off. It's 7 days a week non-stop. I like structure, but it seems like overkill.

Anyways, if anyone else is using Themis and wants to chat shoot me a PM.

A little background:

I just moved to California from DC. I passed the 2010 Maryland bar exam.
Writing to join in on the fun. First-time taker in February due to a joint degree. Will be using Themis also. Unfortunately, because my last set of finals are after Christmas, I won't be able to go into full gear until early/mid Jan. This will probably be masochistic, but unfortunately I don't have any other choice.

Any tips or suggestions on what to is less effective/not worth the time in terms of studying would be appreciated. I'm going to have to go for the truncated approach and hope for the best...

Hope everyone had a good holiday break. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Elms

Bronze

Post by Elms » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:32 am

If there's a majority and minority rule for something, should we discuss both rules? Just the majority rule?

lawladylaw

New

Post by lawladylaw » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:13 pm

For majority vs. minority rules, I am wondering the same thing. The Kaplan materials give a lot of those.
I'm thinking it depends on how major or how nitpicky the issue is. There's just no way to remember every goddamned thing.

As far as study stage, I am at the point where I'm making condensed outlines of each topic, practicing MBE's, and starting to memorize. I'll be done with outlines by January 8, and then I'll be focusing hard core on practice essays, MBEs and drilling memorization by rewriting, talking to myself, crying, etc.

I find that for me, it helps a lot to make outlines vs. flashcards. With the outline, I am boiling down the entire subject into 5-10 pages, and can see at a glance what the big issues are, what's smaller, and how everything fits together. With flashcards, it's harder for me to understand how everything fits together. Essays are weakest for me, so it helps to have my outline as a quick reference at the beginning of practice, to help me with issue spotting.

How about others? :D

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:30 pm

lawladylaw wrote:For majority vs. minority rules, I am wondering the same thing. The Kaplan materials give a lot of those.
I'm thinking it depends on how major or how nitpicky the issue is. There's just no way to remember every goddamned thing.

As far as study stage, I am at the point where I'm making condensed outlines of each topic, practicing MBE's, and starting to memorize. I'll be done with outlines by January 8, and then I'll be focusing hard core on practice essays, MBEs and drilling memorization by rewriting, talking to myself, crying, etc.

I find that for me, it helps a lot to make outlines vs. flashcards. With the outline, I am boiling down the entire subject into 5-10 pages, and can see at a glance what the big issues are, what's smaller, and how everything fits together. With flashcards, it's harder for me to understand how everything fits together. Essays are weakest for me, so it helps to have my outline as a quick reference at the beginning of practice, to help me with issue spotting.

How about others? :D
~outline krew~ (Are you a MTYLT reader?)

I would def discuss the majority rule (which is the "bar law" anyway). I think those are the most important. Come back and add in the minority rules as an aside if you have the time.

If there were an exception to this, it would be things like majority vs. Andrews rule (or whatever) for negligence duty of care. Like the really popular ones to know.

But in general, you don't want to do much of "ping pong" type arguments anyway.

bb8900

New

Post by bb8900 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:10 pm

Has anyone gotten their confirmation for location & print ticket for the February bar?

I thought they emailed them out really quickly for July, but still nothing for February.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawladylaw

New

Post by lawladylaw » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:45 pm

bb8900 wrote:Has anyone gotten their confirmation for location & print ticket for the February bar?

I thought they emailed them out really quickly for July, but still nothing for February.
I have not received mine yet.

JDMBALLMMS

New

Post by JDMBALLMMS » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:51 pm

I received my confirmation for location about a month ago and this is also available in your admission status when you log in.

mhub172

New

Post by mhub172 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:42 pm

bb8900 wrote:Has anyone gotten their confirmation for location & print ticket for the February bar?

Got my confirmation for location but no print ticket yet.

ginger root

New

Post by ginger root » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:03 am

Hi, I have a question for the retakers out there. I was out of town when my essays were mailed and I'm just getting the chance to review them now. I thought that I would receive actual comments from the graders concerning why my answers received the grades that they did, but all I received was a copy of my answers. Am I totally mistaken that they would provide comments?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:21 am

You're only supposed to get your answers and scores only, no comments.

ginger root

New

Post by ginger root » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:01 am

a male human wrote:You're only supposed to get your answers and scores only, no comments.
Thanks for the reply (and for all of your helpful info in this forum). I think I assumed I'd receive comments because baressays.com has some essays with comments. Does anyone know if the baressays comments are actual CBX grader comments?

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:21 am

ginger root wrote:
a male human wrote:You're only supposed to get your answers and scores only, no comments.
Thanks for the reply (and for all of your helpful info in this forum). I think I assumed I'd receive comments because baressays.com has some essays with comments. Does anyone know if the baressays comments are actual CBX grader comments?
:)
BarEssay comments are provided by a hired grader I believe, definitely not from the State Bar.

Are people studying or still preparing to study? It's been pretty quiet on the forums.

TheLegalOne

New

Post by TheLegalOne » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:18 pm

a male human wrote:
ginger root wrote:
BarEssay comments are provided by a hired grader I believe, definitely not from the State Bar.

Are people studying or still preparing to study? It's been pretty quiet on the forums.
I started studying in early December, then had a setback for a week (procrastination). I refocused and have been going strong with Themis since 12/22. I'm trying not to look at the calendar and panic. I've been checking the CA 2014 thread for tips and also noticed the 2015 has been pretty quiet.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:29 pm

TheLegalOne wrote:
a male human wrote:
ginger root wrote:

I started studying in early December, then had a setback for a week (procrastination). I refocused and have been going strong with Themis since 12/22. I'm trying not to look at the calendar and panic. I've been checking the CA 2014 thread for tips and also noticed the 2015 has been pretty quiet.
What's a typical day for Themis like? You don't have to look at your calendar if it's going to make you anxious.

gaagoots

Bronze

Post by gaagoots » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:33 pm

Does anyone have some "markers" of what is considered "okay" for MBEs being 49 days out? Im scoring 68.9% from Adaptibar and it can go down depending on how many civ pro MBEs I do. Released questions I am okay on--but fake questions (i.e. Kaplan red book) I am about 64%.

s1m4

Bronze

Post by s1m4 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:42 pm

re-taker checking in - Failed by 10 points due to over-stress and low scores on the essays. Have a free re-take with barbri.

I've been studying on and off since I found out I failed (doing about 20-25 MBEs a day, although without reviewing any). I started rereading all the conviser materials a few weeks ago and am just about to finish getting through the MBE topics. Doing 20mbes a day and writing out one full essay each day.

Completely ignoring all the barbri lectures because it seems like a waste of time the second time around. Trying to be as efficient as I can to prevent getting burned out like last time.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:48 pm

gaagoots wrote:Does anyone have some "markers" of what is considered "okay" for MBEs being 49 days out? Im scoring 68.9% from Adaptibar and it can go down depending on how many civ pro MBEs I do. Released questions I am okay on--but fake questions (i.e. Kaplan red book) I am about 64%.
That's actually more than where you want to be right now IMO. If you want to feel safe, ideally you want to maintain at least 70% by the time you're two weeks away.

I jotted down my thoughts here answering this very question: http://www.makethisyourlasttime.com/201 ... el-secure/

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:52 pm

s1m4 wrote:re-taker checking in - Failed by 10 points due to over-stress and low scores on the essays. Have a free re-take with barbri.

I've been studying on and off since I found out I failed (doing about 20-25 MBEs a day, although without reviewing any). I started rereading all the conviser materials a few weeks ago and am just about to finish getting through the MBE topics. Doing 20mbes a day and writing out one full essay each day.

Completely ignoring all the barbri lectures because it seems like a waste of time the second time around. Trying to be as efficient as I can to prevent getting burned out like last time.
Once you feel comfortable with the application portion of IRAC, I would say just grind out outlines instead of entire essays. Take 15-30 minutes listing the issues, sub-issues, exceptions, etc. as well as the associated rules. I like to do this by hand because it's what I'll be doing on test day. This will let you see more of the commonly tested issues.

Personally I think identifying issues and stating the rule correctly are more important. Once it clicks in your brain how to apply the rules to the hypo, there's not really a need to waste time doing it over and over and wasting mental energy. At that point, I would do 1 full essay out of 4 essays you practice.

Do compare your answers with model/sample answers. Same with MBEs because that's how you find out what you're weak at.

gaagoots

Bronze

Post by gaagoots » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:24 pm

a male human wrote:
gaagoots wrote:Does anyone have some "markers" of what is considered "okay" for MBEs being 49 days out? Im scoring 68.9% from Adaptibar and it can go down depending on how many civ pro MBEs I do. Released questions I am okay on--but fake questions (i.e. Kaplan red book) I am about 64%.
That's actually more than where you want to be right now IMO. If you want to feel safe, ideally you want to maintain at least 70% by the time you're two weeks away.

I jotted down my thoughts here answering this very question: http://www.makethisyourlasttime.com/201 ... el-secure/
Thanks that link was an excellent read. Ex law school BF took in July (I was suppose to take with him since we graduated in May). He failed--but his MBEs were in the 80's for practice 6 weeks out. His MBE score for July was something like 1767 I can't remember exact but it was high--BUT he spent all that time on MBEs and wrote only 5 essays and no PTs. The 50's killed it for him--so that is one mistake I don't want to make.

auds1008

New

Post by auds1008 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:16 pm

mhub172 wrote:

Got my confirmation for location but no print ticket yet.
should I worry if I still haven't been able to print my ticket?

s1m4

Bronze

Post by s1m4 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:33 pm

a male human wrote:
s1m4 wrote:re-taker checking in - Failed by 10 points due to over-stress and low scores on the essays. Have a free re-take with barbri.

Once you feel comfortable with the application portion of IRAC, I would say just grind out outlines instead of entire essays. Take 15-30 minutes listing the issues, sub-issues, exceptions, etc. as well as the associated rules. I like to do this by hand because it's what I'll be doing on test day. This will let you see more of the commonly tested issues.

Personally I think identifying issues and stating the rule correctly are more important. Once it clicks in your brain how to apply the rules to the hypo, there's not really a need to waste time doing it over and over and wasting mental energy. At that point, I would do 1 full essay out of 4 essays you practice.

Do compare your answers with model/sample answers. Same with MBEs because that's how you find out what you're weak at.

Thanks - I think in general this is great advice, and in fact, I solely did that prior to the July bar. On test day, I was so nervous and over-studied, that the second that I saw the first exam question, I literally just threw up rules all over the page about contracts. I ended up misreading part of the question because I was going so fast and ended up failing that essay. Result : 55

An essay or two later I came across a complicated community property / trusts question. I knew all the rules cold, but I was just extremely confused as to how to organize the answer, and must have spent a nerve-wrecking ten minutes just re-reading and thinking. There was some issue where I was certain that it could come out either way, and it created a fork in the analysis. I didn't know which path to go down because I was confused and that led to a serious lack of structure in that essay. Result: 55

I want to get that out of my system now, and make sure that I can manipulate the answer and fact pattern in my head and feel 100% comfortable about the structure.

In a week or two I will get back to just outlining.

Anyway, time to get back to crim pro :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”