2015 February Texas Bar Exam

MrLawMan

Re: 2015 February Texas Bar Exam

Postby MrLawMan » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:14 pm

CorgisRock wrote:Failed by 12 points.... From what I can see, I had 3 essays under 10 points....everything else was fantastic.......I will be retaking in July. Hopefully it's warmer this time....

You can pass easily the next time. I failed by 25 points my first time, studied for less than two weeks for the second go-around due to work, and passed this time. You're right on the cusp and honestly a lot of that is up to chance, especially on essays. Keep working, and I know you'll get it next time!! The essays are very "improvable" IMO and they made all the difference in my case. Keep the MBE fresh in your head, too!

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:15 pm

Passed!!!

CONGRATS TO TXBARTAKER09!!

Beans89

Postby Beans89 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:21 pm

MBE Scaled: 127.6
Final Score: 676

Looks like God took my prayers to "just pass" very literally.
I'm very freaked out right now. Still convinced I failed.

TxBarTaker09

Postby TxBarTaker09 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:23 pm

Corgis, if you are missing on essays, that is great news because you can make up a ton of ground on that. I don't know if you are eligible for formal review, do the formal review. You will get to sit down with the essay writers and they will help you out a good deal to understand what they are looking for. They even usually have very helpful handouts.

If you are not eligible for formal review, do the informal review so you can at least get some notes on the essays.

12 points on essays is no problem, you can get that back, luckily the turn around time between the Feb. bar and the study time for July bar is pretty quick, so you can just hit it again, but you'll get it next time for sure!

TxBarTaker09

Postby TxBarTaker09 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:24 pm

Beans89 wrote:MBE Scaled: 127.6

YOU WON! YOU STUDIED JUST THE RIGHT AMOUNT! :lol:

MrLawMan

Postby MrLawMan » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:25 pm

Beans89 wrote:MBE Scaled: 127.6

Nope, you passed, and you were incredibly efficient! Think how much more misery you would have put yourself through to be that guy getting a call from Justice Willett for being the kid with the highest score in the land.

numbertwo88

Postby numbertwo88 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:58 pm

I'm not even in Texas but congratulations TxBarTaker09!!!!

And to everyone else :)

and to repeaters, don't give up. I know the struggle and it is a bitch from hell but you'll make it!

BeachedBrit

Postby BeachedBrit » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:03 pm

TxBarTaker09 wrote:For those of you who didn't pass, do not despair. I can give you any advice needed I will be around.

Except for tonight, tonight I'm celebrating! lol

Could not be happier for someone I don't know to pass the bar, CONGRATS!

Also, I have never been so relieved in my life to see my name on a list.

OklahomasOK

Postby OklahomasOK » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:10 pm

TxBarTaker09 wrote:Sorry it's taken me so long to post, but I had to recover and inform the appropriate people because:

I PASSSSSEEEDDDD

693 overall, 137.8 on the MBE

YAY! Really, REALLY excited/relieved/thrilled you passed! You'll be a true asset to the profession! Thanks for always being a voice of reason.

saa106

Postby saa106 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:29 pm

I passed but can not find my raw score. How do I find it?

akili

Postby akili » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:31 pm

OklahomasOK wrote:
TxBarTaker09 wrote:Sorry it's taken me so long to post, but I had to recover and inform the appropriate people because:

I PASSSSSEEEDDDD

693 overall, 137.8 on the MBE

YAY! Really, REALLY excited/relieved/thrilled you passed! You'll be a true asset to the profession! Thanks for always being a voice of reason.

Seconding this! Congrats!!!!!

Dan1220

Postby Dan1220 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:39 pm

Grats to everyone. We did it!

DallasTexan

Postby DallasTexan » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:47 pm

W
Last edited by DallasTexan on Sat May 09, 2015 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

sg832

Postby sg832 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:03 pm

I failed. But I was so sure that I had passed. I was really confident on all three days.

TxBarTaker09

Postby TxBarTaker09 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:02 pm

Thanks everyone for the congrats, been a fun afternoon for sure!

Shane

Postby Shane » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:25 pm

I passed. My MBE score was good, but I thought I could have done poorly. Its crazy how unpredictable this test can be. I thought the hardest part of studying was memorizing for essays. I really feel for anyone that did not pass but with patience, time and the opportunity we can all do it. I really believe that. I really have to thank God for this. Take care everyone, your thoughts although you may not know it has been a great support.

TxBarTaker09

Postby TxBarTaker09 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:29 pm

So just went out and spent too much on food and drink but WHO CARES!

Also, statistics were really low this time I was surprised.

gaagoots

Postby gaagoots » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:35 pm

TxBarTaker09 wrote:So just went out and spent too much on food and drink but WHO CARES!

Congrats! You have a good reason to splurge on yourself.

deliriousxix

Postby deliriousxix » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:57 am

Shane wrote:I passed. My MBE score was good, but I thought I could have done poorly. Its crazy how unpredictable this test can be. I thought the hardest part of studying was memorizing for essays. I really feel for anyone that did not pass but with patience, time and the opportunity we can all do it. I really believe that. I really have to thank God for this. Take care everyone, your thoughts although you may not know it has been a great support.

I second all of this. I passed by a large margin, and I was pretty sure that I had failed. I felt like I guessed on a vast majority of the MBE, but still somehow pulled off an average MBE score. What helped me was performing well on the other sections. I honestly feel like the MBE was a toss-up for most people I talked to. I would advise July takers to practice as much as you can on the MBE, but be sure you can nail the other sections just in case. Also, I took Barbri, and I felt like the MBE was way different than the practice questions Barbri provided us with.

deliriousxix

Postby deliriousxix » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:58 am

TxBarTaker09 wrote:So just went out and spent too much on food and drink but WHO CARES!

Congrats!!! Well-deserved! :)

TxBarTaker09

Postby TxBarTaker09 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:03 am

deliriousxix wrote:
Shane wrote:I passed. My MBE score was good, but I thought I could have done poorly. Its crazy how unpredictable this test can be. I thought the hardest part of studying was memorizing for essays. I really feel for anyone that did not pass but with patience, time and the opportunity we can all do it. I really believe that. I really have to thank God for this. Take care everyone, your thoughts although you may not know it has been a great support.

I second all of this. I passed by a large margin, and I was pretty sure that I had failed. I felt like I guessed on a vast majority of the MBE, but still somehow pulled off an average MBE score. What helped me was performing well on the other sections. I honestly feel like the MBE was a toss-up for most people I talked to. I would advise July takers to practice as much as you can on the MBE, but be sure you can nail the other sections just in case. Also, I took Barbri, and I felt like the MBE was way different than the practice questions Barbri provided us with.

I highly recommend Kaplan's questions, especially for the new Civ Pro stuff, their model questions were really hard, but were on point subject matter wise.

CorgisRock

Postby CorgisRock » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:43 am

TxBarTaker09 wrote:Corgis, if you are missing on essays, that is great news because you can make up a ton of ground on that. I don't know if you are eligible for formal review, do the formal review. You will get to sit down with the essay writers and they will help you out a good deal to understand what they are looking for. They even usually have very helpful handouts.

If you are not eligible for formal review, do the informal review so you can at least get some notes on the essays.

12 points on essays is no problem, you can get that back, luckily the turn around time between the Feb. bar and the study time for July bar is pretty quick, so you can just hit it again, but you'll get it next time for sure!

I am not eligible for a formal review since it's my first time taking the Texas bar. I'm actually an out of state taker....I flew to Texas and spent the week there to take the bar. Considering I only had 2 months to learn Texas law and I work full-time I'm very proud of myself. Two of my essays scored in the 97 percentile but I absolutely bombed 3 which really dragged on my score (they were all TX law questions). All in all I can't complain and I appreciate your help. Do you have any recommendations on studying for the TX essays without buying more materials? I did most of Themis..

TxBarTaker09

Postby TxBarTaker09 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:34 am

CorgisRock wrote:
TxBarTaker09 wrote:Corgis, if you are missing on essays, that is great news because you can make up a ton of ground on that. I don't know if you are eligible for formal review, do the formal review. You will get to sit down with the essay writers and they will help you out a good deal to understand what they are looking for. They even usually have very helpful handouts.

I am not eligible for a formal review since it's my first time taking the Texas bar. I'm actually an out of state taker....I flew to Texas and spent the week there to take the bar. Considering I only had 2 months to learn Texas law and I work full-time I'm very proud of myself. Two of my essays scored in the 97 percentile but I absolutely bombed 3 which really dragged on my score (they were all TX law questions). All in all I can't complain and I appreciate your help. Do you have any recommendations on studying for the TX essays without buying more materials? I did most of Themis..

Yes, study the outlines, do tons of practice essays. This last time I didn't waste any time watching lectures or doing "graded" essays, I studied the outlines and did old essays that were available in my materials, or I went online to the BLE website and just methodically went through the old essay questions. I lot of essay topics are repeated (especially Oil and Gas, Family Law, and Wills and Estates) so you can get a feel for what the bar examiners are likely to ask you. Also, keep in mind on Texas Essays they are going to ask you Texas-centric questions, even on the more broad questions like Family Law, so worry about the things that makes Texas unique in any particular area of law (not necessarily Oil and Gas though, because that whole subject is Texas focused.)

Finally, and I'm sure you know this because you did very well on multiple essays, I was told by the bar examiners when I went in for a formal review that they don't waste fact patterns, so give every fact they give you it's due diligence.

Hope that helps!

CorgisRock

Postby CorgisRock » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:44 am

TxBarTaker09 wrote:
CorgisRock wrote:

Yes, study the outlines, do tons of practice essays. This last time I didn't waste any time watching lectures or doing "graded" essays, I studied the outlines and did old essays that were available in my materials, or I went online to the BLE website and just methodically went through the old essay questions. I lot of essay topics are repeated (especially Oil and Gas, Family Law, and Wills and Estates) so you can get a feel for what the bar examiners are likely to ask you. Also, keep in mind on Texas Essays they are going to ask you Texas-centric questions, even on the more broad questions like Family Law, so worry about the things that makes Texas unique in any particular area of law (not necessarily Oil and Gas though, because that whole subject is Texas focused.)

Finally, and I'm sure you know this because you did very well on multiple essays, I was told by the bar examiners when I went in for a formal review that they don't waste fact patterns, so give every fact they give you it's due diligence.

Hope that helps!

Yes! Thank you and Congratulations!!!!

Raven1228

Postby Raven1228 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:46 pm

Corgis,

I also went to school out of state (Arizona), took barbri, and flew in for the exam and missed by 11 points my first time. I never re-watched the lectures, I just went over the outlines, practiced MBE's, and spent 70% of my studying the second time focused on the essays. I passed this time around and my MBE score was within 5 points of before, so the essay focus really paid off.

Also, since Civ Pro was new on the MBE, I bought critical pass flashcards just for that one subject, but I found them very helpful, so you might consider getting them for all MBE subjects as a refresher. That way you can focus more on essays. Best of luck next time around, I'm positive you'll do great.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”