2015 February Texas Bar Exam

SwordSlashBlade

Re: 2015 February Texas Bar Exam

Postby SwordSlashBlade » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:17 pm

Not that anyone, myself included, is counting down ... BUT ...

37 days, 1 hour, 42 minutes, and change ....

TxBarTaker09

Postby TxBarTaker09 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:13 pm

Less than 3 weeks to go, hope everyone is doing all right.

SwordSlashBlade

Postby SwordSlashBlade » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:16 pm

februarybartaker wrote:Also, FWIW, the scoring system on the essays makes it impossible to score below a certain amount (due to scaling). This, coupled with the two-tiered grading system for the essays makes it very unlikely that the essays will be the reason for failing (particularly if you really messed up on just a few essays). Assuming a MBE score around the national average or a bit below, your performance on the essays, both as a whole and especially individually, does not have to be great at all.

I'm curious what the lowest that can be scored number is and how you derived it.

BeachedBrit

Postby BeachedBrit » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:11 am

SwordSlashBlade wrote:
februarybartaker wrote:Also, FWIW, the scoring system on the essays makes it impossible to score below a certain amount (due to scaling). This, coupled with the two-tiered grading system for the essays makes it very unlikely that the essays will be the reason for failing (particularly if you really messed up on just a few essays). Assuming a MBE score around the national average or a bit below, your performance on the essays, both as a whole and especially individually, does not have to be great at all.

I'm curious what the lowest that can be scored number is and how you derived it.

A few months ago, before the exam, I figured it to be a 10 or 11 out of 25 on each essay, or roughly 40% credit. I don't remember the methodology for figuring that, but it was also anecdotally supported by friends that absolutely bombed certain essays and still scored at least a scaled 10 (I couldn't find a friend that received less than a 10 on any given essay). With that said, I guess the essays are curved to match the MBE scores for that year, so if MBE scores were/are down and go lower than usual, I suppose it may be possible for the essay scores to go lower as well.

Stat analysis of the 2012-2013 Texas bar results revealed that 98% of the variance in the Texas bar pass/fail rate was a result of change in the mean Texas MBE score.

Edit: It's also worth noting that you don't actually need a 675/1000 (67.5%) to pass, just a 669/1000 (66.9%) because if you score between 669-674, they automatically regrade your essays with the ability to give more points but no option to take points away. In the same stat analysis discussed above, every person that received a regrade on their essays ultimately had their result bumped up to a passing 675 or higher.

missingmiami

Postby missingmiami » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:16 pm

That email gave me an f-ing heart attack just now.

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:18 pm

Anyone else received the email confirming April 30 as the anticipated release date? They should just do it already. Geeeez

missingmiami

Postby missingmiami » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:42 pm

LLB2JD wrote:Anyone else received the email confirming April 30 as the anticipated release date? They should just do it already. Geeeez

Each time one of those emails goes out, I completely spiral out of control into a world of speculation and anxiety induced paranoia. It's absurd.

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:47 pm

missingmiami wrote:
LLB2JD wrote:Anyone else received the email confirming April 30 as the anticipated release date? They should just do it already. Geeeez

Each time one of those emails goes out, I completely spiral out of control into a world of speculation and anxiety induced paranoia. It's absurd.

I agree. It is really tortuous. I'm here trying to read tea leaves.

missingmiami

Postby missingmiami » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:52 pm

LLB2JD wrote:
missingmiami wrote:

I agree. It is really tortuous. I'm here trying to read tea leaves.

I got a letter from C and F and spent legitimately 2 days wondering what it meant on the timeline. I actually went through and read the board meeting minutes from the years prior to see if I could ascertain some sort of date when the grades were actually complete. Then I read through the board's self evaluation report from their advisory comm. Utterly pitiful.

TxBarTaker09

Postby TxBarTaker09 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:38 pm

Please refer to my post from just after the exam for what to expect for the pass list release, save yourself some stress haha.

deliriousxix

Postby deliriousxix » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:55 pm

I freak out too. :( I can't stand my constantly wavering confidence.. My attitude bounces back and forth from "I know I failed" to "I think I passed" hourly. It's ridiculous! I have a feeling the next week or so is going to be brutal. So we should actually expect scores on April 29th?

missingmiami

Postby missingmiami » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:02 pm

deliriousxix wrote:I freak out too. :( I can't stand my constantly wavering confidence.. My attitude bounces back and forth from "I know I failed" to "I think I passed" hourly. It's ridiculous! I have a feeling the next week or so is going to be brutal. So we should actually expect scores on April 29th?

Yes. One of the Supreme Court Justices will tweet that the results are being released. I'm in the same boat....the MBE is really the deciding factor. I never once had a multiple choice test in law school, so I find the entire thing to be strange. I'm thinking about going somewhere on an impromptu trip, simply so I don't have to be in my office when I find out about results.

Shane

Postby Shane » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:14 am

BeachedBrit wrote:
SwordSlashBlade wrote:

A few months ago, before the exam, I figured it to be a 10 or 11 out of 25 on each essay, or roughly 40% credit. I don't remember the methodology for figuring that, but it was also anecdotally supported by friends that absolutely bombed certain essays and still scored at least a scaled 10 (I couldn't find a friend that received less than a 10 on any given essay). With that said, I guess the essays are curved to match the MBE scores for that year, so if MBE scores were/are down and go lower than usual, I suppose it may be possible for the essay scores to go lower as well.

Stat analysis of the 2012-2013 Texas bar results revealed that 98% of the variance in the Texas bar pass/fail rate was a result of change in the mean Texas MBE score.

Edit: It's also worth noting that you don't actually need a 675/1000 (67.5%) to pass, just a 669/1000 (66.9%) because if you score between 669-674, they automatically regrade your essays with the ability to give more points but no option to take points away. In the same stat analysis discussed above, every person that received a regrade on their essays ultimately had their result bumped up to a passing 675 or higher.

Would the MPT and the Crim & Civ pro short answers be scaled the same way as well?

lawschool1741

Postby lawschool1741 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:28 pm

tagging for updates for a friend. best of luck all!!

missingmiami

Postby missingmiami » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:27 pm

Omg whyyyyyyyyy the email again. Lol.

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:29 pm

I know. I think they're just playing with us now. So cruel. They obviously have the pass list. They should just release already.

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:41 pm

missingmiami wrote:Omg whyyyyyyyyy the email again. Lol.

I wonder if everyone received the email at the same time, or it is being sent out alphabetically.

P.S. Let the mindless speculation begin. Lol

missingmiami

Postby missingmiami » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:43 pm

LLB2JD wrote:

I wonder if everyone received the email at the same time, or it is being sent out alphabetically.

Lol. Our lives are the worst. Ever.

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:54 pm

I KNOW THE FUCKING RESULTS ARE BEING RELEASED ON APRIL 30 (except not rly b/c they will come out a day or two early)

BLE wtfffffff

missingmiami

Postby missingmiami » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:03 pm

crit_racer wrote:I KNOW THE FUCKING RESULTS ARE BEING RELEASED ON APRIL 30 (except not rly b/c they will come out a day or two early)

BLE wtfffffff

You know what, I'm just going to not log in until May .... I'm not going to check gmail or anything.. I'm going to book a trip to an island somewhere where they don't have wifi... And I'll just lime for about 10 days. Anyone who wants to go, let's all just rent a big house and chill. #strangerdanger

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:14 pm

missingmiami wrote:
crit_racer wrote:I KNOW THE FUCKING RESULTS ARE BEING RELEASED ON APRIL 30 (except not rly b/c they will come out a day or two early)

BLE wtfffffff

You know what, I'm just going to not log in until May .... I'm not going to check gmail or anything.. I'm going to book a trip to an island somewhere where they don't have wifi... And I'll just lime for about 10 days. Anyone who wants to go, let's all just rent a big house and chill. #strangerdanger

Lime. Trini reference?

SwordSlashBlade

Postby SwordSlashBlade » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:20 pm

missingmiami wrote:
LLB2JD wrote:

May be the first email was alphabetically by first name, the latest one was by last name, and the next one will be by middle name.
Last edited by SwordSlashBlade on Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:22 pm

SwordSlashBlade wrote:
missingmiami wrote:
LLB2JD wrote:

May the first email was alphabetically by first name, the latest one was by middle name, and the next one will be by middle name.

Or perhaps they plan on sending those emails out everyday for the next week.

SwordSlashBlade

Postby SwordSlashBlade » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:26 pm

LLB2JD wrote:Or perhaps they plan on sending those emails out everyday for the next week.

No, they wouldn't be that cruel, would they? Oh, who am I kidding?
Last edited by SwordSlashBlade on Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

missingmiami

Postby missingmiami » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:33 pm

LLB2JD wrote:
missingmiami wrote:

BLE wtfffffff

Lime. Trini reference?

Carib. I knew we would be friends. I could tell by our equal level of hysteria.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”