Kaplan Bar Course Book Return

hoppingabird

Kaplan Bar Course Book Return

Postby hoppingabird » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:58 pm

Has anyone else who took the Kaplan course turned in their books and received their deposit refund?

Here is my story with Kaplan so far:

I returned my books via USPS on 10/25. I didn't purchase the USPS tracking feature. Looking back, I should have, however, I didn't have a need in watching the shipment bounce from location to location online. And, if you keep your receipt given to you at the post office it contains a PID# (package ID). This feature works very similarly to the tracking feature that they charge you for, the only difference is, you can't search the PID online. You
have to call the postal service customer service hotline and have them look at it for you. Pain in the ass, however, it serves it's purpose and does not cost extra.

On 11/10 I notice that I haven't received an email or a credit back on my credit card regarding my Kaplan book deposit. I politely email them tell them I am asking about the status of my book refund and provide them with all of my information. Their response: "Your books have not been received."

Strange! I call up the post office to inquire about the delivery of my package. "Uh, sir, without a tracking number, I ain't gonna be able to tell ya where yo package is." "Trust me, I've done this before, just type in the numbers I give you on your computer program."

Wow! It really worked! Your package was delivered at 11:52am on 10/29 at this address in Aurora, IL!

I called Kaplan and inquired about the status of my book deposit and again give them all of my information. I don't mention that I know that the package was delivered and when it was delivered. They ask for the tracking number and I explain I don't have it. They tell me I'm shit out of luck. I ask if they would know if a package was delivered to their address or not, they explain that is why it is important to send with the tracking number. I get off the phone.

I then email them, better to get this in writing and explain the PID number and provide it to them. I also say that I've verified with the USPS that the package was delivered on 10/29 at 11:52am. I politely ask for my deposit refund to be credited to my account quickly because it is now 11/12 (or whatever date it was).

Their response was that my book deposit refund was "pending an investigation." I asked for a timeframe on the results of the "investigation" and asked when I should expect a refund. I receive an email promptly telling me that I'll receive the credit back to my account within 3-5 business days.

Waiting for my credit still. I believe it when I finally get it. Anyone else returned their books to Kaplan? Have a fun or interesting story or was it just a straightforward process for you?

bklynattorney

Re: Kaplan Bar Course Book Return

Postby bklynattorney » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:37 am

I have a similar problem, except that I did purchase a tracking code, but the top of my receipt (where the code is located) faded to the point of where I cannot read the first half of the number. I will look into the other option, though. I just hope that my PID number wasn't in the same location on the receipt.

whatthelaw

Postby whatthelaw » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:16 pm

Thanks for the info. I mailed my books out yesterday and the USPS clerk circled the "tracking number" on my receipt. Now that I'm looking at the receipt, it is actually a PID. Greaaaaaat.

bklynattorney

Postby bklynattorney » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:24 pm

Update: just got an email from Kaplan today stating they received my books. My refund should be reflected on my account within 5-7 business days!

stewie27

Postby stewie27 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:39 pm

bklynattorney wrote:Update: just got an email from Kaplan today stating they received my books. My refund should be reflected on my account within 5-7 business days!

Had you emailed them first? I'm wondering if I should have gotten an email about them receiving my books too.

bklynattorney

Postby bklynattorney » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:02 pm

stewie27 wrote:
bklynattorney wrote:Update: just got an email from Kaplan today stating they received my books. My refund should be reflected on my account within 5-7 business days!

Had you emailed them first? I'm wondering if I should have gotten an email about them receiving my books too.

I did not. I did call them over a week ago, but they weren't able to help me since my tracking number was not readable on the receipt. For some context, I sent my books back via USPS a couple of days after bar results came out.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”