NJ Bar Results and Certification Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
kingofcream

New

NJ Bar Results and Certification

Post by kingofcream » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:38 pm

So I just found out I passed the NJ bar, but I haven't been certified yet. The website doesn't list me as having any missing documents in my file, so I guess they just haven't gotten to me yet. Any idea on how long it'll take?

LiberalLaw

New

Re: NJ Bar Results and Certification

Post by LiberalLaw » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:07 pm

kingofcream wrote:So I just found out I passed the NJ bar, but I haven't been certified yet. The website doesn't list me as having any missing documents in my file, so I guess they just haven't gotten to me yet. Any idea on how long it'll take?

Same here. Who is your reviewing attorney?

kingofcream

New

Post by kingofcream » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:27 pm

LiberalLaw wrote:
kingofcream wrote:So I just found out I passed the NJ bar, but I haven't been certified yet. The website doesn't list me as having any missing documents in my file, so I guess they just haven't gotten to me yet. Any idea on how long it'll take?

Same here. Who is your reviewing attorney?
I assume that each reviewing attorney reviews a lot and revealing their name won't reveal my identity? Let's just say the name rhymes with "triple," and I'm sure the individual is an accomplished attorney and all around wonderful human being we should all strive to emulate. Who's yours?

JuTMSY4

Bronze

Post by JuTMSY4 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:08 pm

Relax. Unless you have an issue, you'll all be barred by December or January. In fact, even my friends with minor issues were barred by January.

ceereeus420

New

Post by ceereeus420 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:42 pm

Any idea how long it would take if you need a 303 hearing? Almost sure I'll get that notice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kingofcream

New

Post by kingofcream » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:20 pm

JuTMSY4 wrote:Relax. Unless you have an issue, you'll all be barred by December or January. In fact, even my friends with minor issues were barred by January.
For work-related reasons I won't detail, I would strongly prefer to be barred by the middle of November. I just wish it weren't so damn slow. It seems so random-some people are already certified, everyone else needs to wait an unspecified amount of time.

Lawst

Silver

Post by Lawst » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:42 pm

I'm certified, but wondering if the judge, attorney or notary who can witness my oath has to be NJ licensed, or could it be a NY licensed attorney?

kingofcream

New

Post by kingofcream » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:52 pm

Lawst wrote:I'm certified, but wondering if the judge, attorney or notary who can witness my oath has to be NJ licensed, or could it be a NY licensed attorney?
I'm pretty sure it has to be NJ.

Lawst

Silver

Post by Lawst » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:29 pm

kingofcream wrote:
Lawst wrote:I'm certified, but wondering if the judge, attorney or notary who can witness my oath has to be NJ licensed, or could it be a NY licensed attorney?
Derp - I just found the link to the instructions for the oath form, which I missed the first few times I looked at the results letter. It doesn't have be someone licensed in NJ unless you happen to be in NJ at the time: "You may, however, elect to take the oath in any United States jurisdiction, provided you do so before a person who is authorized by that jurisdiction to administer oaths."

ETA: Make sure your state allows attorneys to administer oaths, though - it turns out that New York attorneys have to also be licensed notaries, which entails an additional fee and some paperwork, to administer oaths.
Last edited by Lawst on Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:26 am

Mailed in my oath today. But we're still not technically attorneys until they receive it, accept it, and update the attorney register?

kingofcream

New

Post by kingofcream » Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:55 pm

Lawst wrote:
kingofcream wrote:
Derp - I just found the link to the instructions for the oath form, which I missed the first few times I looked at the results letter. It doesn't have be someone licensed in NJ unless you happen to be in NJ at the time: "You may, however, elect to take the oath in any United States jurisdiction, provided you do so before a person who is authorized by that jurisdiction to administer oaths."

ETA: Make sure your state allows attorneys to administer oaths, though - it turns out that New York attorneys have to also be licensed notaries, which entails an additional fee and some paperwork, to administer oaths.
Ah my bad. Interesting. Jealous of you guys who are certified but congrats on being almost able to call yourselves lawyers!

dudewithgame

New

Post by dudewithgame » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:01 am

androstan wrote:Mailed in my oath today. But we're still not technically attorneys until they receive it, accept it, and update the attorney register?
Information from the acceptance letter:

"After the oath is received in the office, recorded and then loaded into the official attorney database (typically Friday nights), new attorneys can go online to njcourts.com, select "Attorney Index" on the left hand side of the page, and search. Within a week after being loaded into the official database, applicants will receive a packet containing a complimentary Certificate of Good Standing and other information related to admission. Please note that admitted attorneys register, update information and pay dues through the Fund for Client Protection."

I believe we're not attorneys until they receive it and approve it. That's how it was for PA, and PA was very, very quick in doing so. They did it immediately after receiving it.

j1987

Bronze

Post by j1987 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:48 pm

Still not certified. No issues or missing documents. Emailed reviewing attorney twice and no response.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kingofcream

New

Post by kingofcream » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:14 pm

j1987 wrote:Still not certified. No issues or missing documents. Emailed reviewing attorney twice and no response.
Well, you're not in the clear once you're certified. I got my oath card notarized on Tuesday and had it overnighted-confirmed delivery Wednesday morning.

The Results Letter from NJ says "After the oath is received in the office, recorded and then loaded into the official attorney database (typically Friday nights), new attorneys can go online to njcourts.com, select "Attorney Index" on the left hand side of the page, and search. Within a week after being loaded into the official database, applicants will receive a packet containing a complimentary Certificate of Good Standing and other information related to admission. "

Well, I checked Saturday morning...nope. Checked Sunday afternoon...nope. Checked just now...still nope. I can assume only two things: either receiving it Wednesday morning wasn't good enough and I didn't make whatever cutoff for last week's batch that was added to the index and have to wait until next Friday night, or they just didn't update the index last Friday.

Ah well.

Lawst

Silver

Post by Lawst » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:17 pm

kingofcream wrote:
j1987 wrote:Still not certified. No issues or missing documents. Emailed reviewing attorney twice and no response.
Well, you're not in the clear once you're certified. I got my oath card notarized on Tuesday and had it overnighted-confirmed delivery Wednesday morning.

The Results Letter from NJ says "After the oath is received in the office, recorded and then loaded into the official attorney database (typically Friday nights), new attorneys can go online to njcourts.com, select "Attorney Index" on the left hand side of the page, and search. Within a week after being loaded into the official database, applicants will receive a packet containing a complimentary Certificate of Good Standing and other information related to admission. "

Well, I checked Saturday morning...nope. Checked Sunday afternoon...nope. Checked just now...still nope. I can assume only two things: either receiving it Wednesday morning wasn't good enough and I didn't make whatever cutoff for last week's batch that was added to the index and have to wait until next Friday night, or they just didn't update the index last Friday.

Ah well.
Yeah, mine didn't show up until a little over a week later, so you'll probably be in the next batch. You're probably already admitted, though. My admission date shows as the date that I signed my oath, or at least earlier than the date I was posted to the roll.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”